• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

Ushay

I don't really see the problem with Games as a Service as long as single player campaigns get a large focus, much like Mass Effect 3 had a long single player and a multiplayer component many people loved. Gears 4 had a cool campaign (although pretty short) and top multiplayer too. Some games should get more single player/narrative focus than others.

It's entirely possible to do that same thing for new games too.

blakep267

Black tusk trailer was a story trailer, regardless of scalebound different showing the most gameplay they showed was of the single player campaign and hub for co-op.

If yo have info on the reboot/sequel to phantom dust please link it as they showed a story based trailer for that.

Just because it has multiplayer doesn't mean when they cancel a project that theya re just cancelling a multipler/co-op.

They had both. SO you could say they cancelled both multiplayer games and single player if you want to nit pick.
-If you read the phantom dust article or saw the footage of the game that kotaku posted, it was only multiplayer palace. The CGI had nothing to do with what was the game actually was. Even dark side said it was just MP. The issue they ran into was that MS wanted to add sp

-For the get go Scalebound was said to have 4 player full campaign co-op. It was a big facet of the game

- Shangheist as was said multiple times was just a concept trailer so you can't extrapolate anything from it

Papacheeks

Banned
Sadly I believe there is a story or article somewhere stating that they didn't like the pitch for Fable 4. It did sound weird, I think it had something to do with vampires or werewolves and it was victorian era, or something. I could be way off and confusing it with something else, but I remember reading something about MS didn't like the pitch for Fable 4. Fable Legends honestly wasn't that bad. They just took so long to barely get any content available. The base combat and characters were really cool. It just got pretty repetitive with the lack of content available in the beta. It definitely could have shaped up to be something pretty good though, I thought.

Not even close, the pitch was amazing sounding and everyone that heard about it was jazzed. Phil harrison was the big influence with games as a service and MS wanted games to be renewable income going forward.

here's a ign article about it from an ex dev.

I don't really see the problem with Games as a Service as long as single player campaigns get a large focus, much like Mass Effect 3 had a long single player and a multiplayer component many people loved. Gears 4 had a cool campaign (although pretty short) and top multiplayer too. Some games should get more single player/narrative focus than others.

It's entirely possible to do that same thing for new games too.

unfortunately that's not what MS has in-store for RARE game:

I wish the best for them but it certainly won't be pretty if it underperforms. The studio is basically being built around service driven games now and from what I'm told the project is costing Microsoft a lot.

Goddamn it, when you already don't exactly drown in exclusives you don't pass on something by such a talented studio who has really proven themselves now.

They could freaking announce that news at E3. New IP in development by Playground, open world but can't yet show anything. Wish the dude was just talking nonsense now.

blakep267

Goddamn it, when you already don't exactly drown in exclusives you don't pass on something by such a talented studio who has really proven themselves now.

They could freaking announce that news at E3. New IP in development by Playground, open world but can't yet show anything. Wish the dude was just talking nonsense now.
You have no idea what the game is or anything about it so why are you upset. And it's not as if it's skipping the Xbox.

Hexer06

Not even close, the pitch was amazing sounding and everyone that heard about it was jazzed. Phil harrison was the big influence with games as a service and MS wanted games to be renewable income going forward.

here's a ign article about it from an ex dev.

Wow. Yeah, Idk what the hell I was thinking of then lol. That did sound pretty awesome.

Hawk269

It's funny how some people says that ms lacks diversity in its line up and then when they develop sea of thieves, it doesn’t count because of 'x' reason, state of decay 2 doesn't count because of 'y', crackdown neither. What about cuphead? Nah it's too niche. They always need something else by this logic.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but we cannot deny that Sony has done a damn good job cultivating the 1st party line up. But it is true, whenever someone tries to say something about a Xbox One game, we have a certain amount of people that say it is not this or it not as good, but MS still has some stuff like Halo Wars 2 which is a niche title. For me the 3 biggest games this year has been Zelda, Halo Wars 2 and Horizon and if you look at my playtime for each, they fall in the same order, Zelda, HW2 and Horizon. I know many say that MS does not have an answer to Horizon or to an extent Zelda, but people do have different tastes, I have several IRL friends that only have a Xbox One and are very happy with it and don't feel at all a lack of games.

Dude chill lol

We know nothing of the game and it's still coming to Xbox. Why do people need it to be exclusive? Sounds like it will be made with money they been banking from Forza anyways

I'm very interested to see what the CPU ends up being.

Speaking of Ori, assuming the rumors are true (and so think they are), is that the first sequel to a new IP from MS this gen? And one of the few new first party IPs to get a sequel too. Can't think of many outside of Splatoon 2.

You have no idea what the game is or anything about it so why are you upset. And it's not as if it's skipping the Xbox.

Dude chill lol

We know nothing of the game and it's still coming to Xbox. Why do people need it to be exclusive? Sounds like it will be made with money they been banking from Forza anyways

I know man, but if this is even true it's just frustrating that MS would pass on a potential new exclusive. The reason I would want it as an Xbox exclusive is because the developers will use that hardware to its full potential and I'd like to see that. We don't have that many games on Xbox that truly make you say "oh holy shit" when it comes to visuals. Ryse comes to mind, Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 in some parts.

Yeah that'd be cool and nope none at all.
And I totally see what you mean. There are indeed a lot more options for multiplayer gamers on both platforms now than in the past, which kind of does put MS in an odd place even if Halo 5 and Gears offer arguably the best multiplayer gameplay in their series and they are pushing more online games.

They do need something that blows people away in that aspect. I personally think Sea of Thieves and Crackdown could do it. I think SOT could achieve a massive userbase. People love games like Ark and 7 Days to Die. Battlegrounds recently made 11 million in 3 days, and Ark sold damn well on Xb1. And even though mainly single player, I believe Crackdown will be definitley be something special on the multiplayer front.
And idk. I play a lot of multiplayer and single player games. As long as they're quality and fun I'm good. They announce 10 new multiplayer ips that look good and I'll be all over em and vice versa lol.
Very much agree on SoT, State of Decay 2 as well. They just need to be smart with their release timing on them. Don't force them in the fall with all the big third parties. SoT especially would get devoured by Destiny 2. Crackdown 3 on the other hand I'm not so sure. Nothing about what they've shown, moreso what they haven't. We've known about that game for like 3 years now. I really hope it's great, the destruction looks awesome!

Speaking of Ori, assuming the rumors are true (and so think they are), is that the first sequel to a new IP from MS this gen? And one of the few new first party IPs to get a sequel too. Can't think of many outside of Splatoon 2.

That rumor that appeared right before E3 right? I forgot what the name of the new Ori game would be. I also recall Thomas Mahler from Moon Studios saying "wait till you see what we are working on now." when a poster made a thread with praise for Ori and the Blind Forest. I would be fine with a new Ori or completely different game.

Isurus

Haven't been in this thread today, but it looks like it has migrated from speculation about Scorpio to insensed reactions about speculation that Microsoft may have passed on exclusive rights to a hypothetical new IP by a third party they have a good relationship with.

Good grief. Did I miss anything else noteworthy?

Smh. Not only are you confused on why Microsoft would pass on a gane you've never seen. You want them to do the Scalebound thing all over again and announce a game waaaay before its ready for E3 points.

90% of my favorite games are games as a service. I like Microsoft's priorities in its exclusives focused on MP, I just haven't particularly loved their execution. Whatever genius thought GOW4 Horde should remain 50 waves should be reassigned, as their was a good core their ruined by a 2 hour time commitment to play a single game. Halo MP is fine, but my tastes in shooters has veered towards MOBA elements and abilities, so it wasn't a standout.

I am hopeful that in developing some more SP exclusives, Microsoft doesn't abandon some of it's loyal customers to chase people who will never like Microsoft products no matter what.

Detective

Haven't been in this thread today, but it looks like it has migrated from speculation about Scorpio to insensed reactions about speculation that Microsoft may have passed on exclusive rights to a hypothetical new IP by a third party they have a good relationship with.

Good grief. Did I miss anything else noteworthy?

Not really, just the regular spins. Oh yeah, and insiders who can't read.

Wish Bishop was still here.

quest

Not Banned from OT

With MS having to make its own Vr solution it is clear the cpu is a puma. When it looked like rift or vive I said zen since both need I5 level cpu. MS will be doing what Sony had to do with a major cpu limitation. At least the extra ram is good news.

Dabanton

Now that I agree with. That's the issue with Ms 1st party currently: How quickly they abandon things. It's less of a problem as they have a very good finger for picking fantastic stuff, but could be even better if everything they touched were ongoing franchises.

I mean they had two games that fully needed a sequel to build on the amazing progress they had made. Sunset Overdrive. Which is a fantastic game but has so much potentially cool things you could do in a sequel like full city four player co-op.

The other is Quantum Break. Very very solid game, fun time powers, great shooting and encounters and a intriguing story looks like now Remedy are off doing other things that will get put on the back burner.

If I was MS I'd look at offering a few people there the startup costs and support for a new story led games dev that works on more SP experiences.

Smh. Not only are you confused on why Microsoft would pass on a gane you've never seen. You want them to do the Scalebound thing all over again and announce a game waaaay before its ready for E3 points.

Point taken. However Scalebound was being developed by a studio that was busy with other titles as well and Playground has now made three fine games for Xbox and they released on time. If anything I'd expect that the new game, whatever it is would turn out fine as well. But you never know that beforehand. So again, point taken. My bad.

Hexer06

I mean they had two games that fully needed a sequel to build on the amazing progress they had made. Sunset Overdrive. Which is a fantastic game but has so much potentially cool things you could do in a sequel like full city four player co-op.

The other is Quantum Break. Very very solid game, fun time powers, great shooting and encounters and a intriguing story looks like now Remedy are off doing other things that will get put on the back burner.

If I was MS I'd look at offering a few people there the startup costs and support for a new story led games dev that works on more SP experiences.

Fully agree with those. I'd even add that Ryse fully deserved a sequel as well. Quantum Break kills me the most though, because it was clearly made with a sequel in mind and we're not getting it. :(

2nd team at Playground is working on a multiplayer title, passed on by MS. As the post-mortem from Lionhead pointed at, MS higher ups told them during the pitch process there will never be a Table 4; don't pitch it.

Edit: multiplatform, not multiplayer. Sorry, damn autocorrect

Why would they say there will never be a Fable 4, but they are backing Fable Fortune? I mean, they clearly aren't done with the franchise, as it was reported they would sell it when Lionhead closed...

That rumor that appeared right before E3 right? I forgot what the name of the new Ori game would be. I also recall Thomas Mahler from Moon Studios saying "wait till you see what we are working on now." when a poster made a thread with praise for Ori and the Blind Forest. I would be fine with a new Ori or completely different game.

I'll come back for you :(((((

Hexer06

A sequel to Ryse with Scorpio in mind would be glorious

Whew! 4k with HDR Ryse 2... that would be mind-blowing for sure. Ryse STILL holds up to this day as one of the better looking games this gen. It was a fucking launch title too! Crytek knows their graphics for sure. Too bad they wouldn't sell Ryse to MS. :/

I am hoping for a Crimson Skies sequel :)
I think that could be pretty cool as well. Though I have vertigo now, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to play it. Flight sims make me dizzy nowadays sadly. :/

Outrun

Whew! 4k with HDR Ryse 2... that would be mind-blowing for sure. Ryse STILL holds up to this day as one of the better looking games this gen. It was a fucking launch title too! Crytek knows their graphics for sure. Too bad they wouldn't sell Ryse to MS. :/

I am hoping for a Crimson Skies sequel :)

Why would they say there will never be a Fable 4, but they are backing Fable Fortune? I mean, they clearly aren't done with the franchise, as it was reported they would sell it when Lionhead closed...

I'll come back for you :(((((

What do you mean friend? :)

I recently fired Ryse up and I was surprised how fucking awesome it still looks. I checked out that forest chapter and goddamn man. Hopefully this IS one of the games that can be brought to 4K on Scorpio somehow.... some way. No doubt in my mind that Ryse is still the best looking Xbox One exclusive.

If MS doesn't see that sticking with Quantum Break is one of the smartest possible moves they could make, I don't know what else to say. That game is exactly the type of game Microsoft needs more of.

Electret

Sorry you don't come across with benign intentions. Why would MS pass on Fable 4 when Fable 3 sold well? Phil said on many occasions he prioritises first party and that SP games need to improve, why would his seniors weigh in on game design ideas? They just want success and wouldn't dive in to make gaming related decisions, that's why they have Phil in charge, and of he fails he goes.

Seamus Blackley disagrees, and is someone I'd expect to be in tune with the inner workings at MS. You should listen to the recent podcast with him and Tim Dog (ugh).

blakep267

If MS doesn't see that sticking with Quantum Break is one of the smartest possible moves they could make, I don't know what else to say. That game is exactly the type of game Microsoft needs more of.
Not when remedy takes ages to put out a game that has middling sales. That's just a waste of money. Even if they did greenlight a QB sequel, knowing rememdy it wouldn't. E out until 2020

I really like QB a lot, but banking on that title to become a franchise to carry the single player banner wouldn't be a viable and sustainable idea.

Hexer06

So so good! Game was amazing to me. I 1k'd it and had a blast going through both times playing it. How are we not getting a sequel to this??? Not even any DLC apparently. I'd be fine with just a little horde mode addition or something. :/

Not sure if Remedy is even working on a large scale single player title atm, either. Seems like they may have had a focus shift to multiplayer games.

RIP Alan Wake and QB.

Yeah I know. I'm crying about both of those, lol. Interesting to see Remedy going multiplayer now. I'm still gonna check out what they're doing, but I definitely wish they would have stuck with the single player story telling that they've done so well. Preferably one of those 2 games you just mentioned. lol

So so good! Game was amazing to me. I 1k'd it and had a blast going through both times playing it. How are we not getting a sequel to this??? Not even any DLC apparently. I'd be fine with just a little horde mode addition or something. :/
Not sure if Remedy is even working on a large scale single player title atm, either. Seems like they may have had a focus shift to multiplayer games.

RIP Alan Wake and QB.

RIP Alan Wake and QB.
They're doing the single player portion for some other studios upcoming multiplayer game. In addition to that they have an unnanounced game in the works and we don't know what it is, but I would assume it's heavily story focused

Top Bottom