• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project x Zone 2 English demo to be out in Jan 21st

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I can't believe this is releasing the same week as Fire Emblem Fates.

Edit:Oops

Sending it to die confirmed? :/

Also, makes sense the JP release got special treatment (OGSE, retailer exclusive posters, 3 SE from the respected companies that also included a track selected OST). It's an anniversary title for Namco X Capcom.

I'm on mobile but there's a statement from a Bamco PR person that was that "Project X Zone sold 10 times as much in the West as they were expecting." So the West is probably a large part of why this is even happening. Also got a Multi-5 translation in Europe this time.

Ilvocare

One week difference in NA, Fates is on the 19th, this is on the 26th. Same week as Bravely Second in Europe though.

Huh??? The NA demo for the game is coming out January 26th. The actual game's release date in the US has more-or-less always been February 16th. It literally comes out right before Fates.

Not to mention I think SFV is also releasing on that same week? PXZ2's release window is currently a disaster of Trauma Team-esque proportions in terms of expecting this to sell.

I'm on mobile but there's a statement from a Bamco PR person that was that "Project X Zone sold 10 times as much in the West as they were expecting." So the West is probably a large part of why this is even happening. Also got a Multi-5 translation in Europe this time.

Yeah, but we're not getting any physical goods like the first game. And Bamco hardly talks about it except for the occasional "oh, right. This exists" tweet. Plus all of the other big named games also releasing the same month, hell, one releases the SAME day.

Huh??? The NA demo for the game is coming out January 26th. The actual game's release date in the US has more-or-less always been February 16th. It literally comes out right before Fates.

Not to mention I think SFV is also releasing on that same week? PXZ2's release window is currently a disaster of Trauma Team-esque proportions in terms of expecting this to sell.

Same day in NA actually.

So what time do you think the demo will plop out

It's out already. Unless you use the same eshop as the US eshop. Then Jan. 26 around 12 eastern, IIRC.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yeah, but we're not getting any physical goods like the first game. And Bamco hardly talks about it except for the occasional "oh, right. This exists" tweet. Plus all of the other big named games also releasing the same month, hell, one releases the SAME day.

Same day in NA actually.

It's out already. Unless you use the same eshop as the US eshop. Then Jan. 26 around 12 eastern, IIRC.

The game was given a Multi-5 (English, French, Spanish, German, Italian) translation this time. It may not matter at all to you or I but that's a significant cost for a game made on a budget. I think Bamco is just somewhat pleased with how the first game sold outside Japan (it was even announced at a US expo) and decided to okay the sequel, but yeah, no special edition or anything outside Japan. Part of that might be music rights though, part of that might be resources.

Well, SFV is on a different platform and in a different genre, despite being represented here.

The closeness to Fates in NA and to a lesser extent how it does the same with Bravely Second (if you liked Default) in the EU is a bit much though, I agree.

Loona

Pre-order bonus for America. Europe has the same pre-order bonuses.

I wonder where I can preorder the game in the Netherlands - I used to do that sort of thing from amazon.co.uk when I was still living in Portugal, but they don't deliver to the Netherlands (or mention the preorder bonuses...), and amazon.nl doesn't even have the game listed...

I guess I have to hope the one specialized game store I'm aware of in the area can handle this?...

Here are the rewards for playing the demo:

First time: Kageuchi * Shin Sekai
Second time: all previous rewards + special commemorative badge
Third time: all previous rewards + special wooden sword
Fourth time: all previous rewards + 1000 GOLD
Fifth time: all previous rewards + 1000 GOLD
Sixth time: all previous rewards + 1000 GOLD
Seventh time: all previous rewards + 1000 GOLD
Eighth time: all previous rewards + 30CP
Ninth time: all previous rewards + 30CP
Tenth time: all previous rewards + 30CP

I just got the demo, and it mentions 30 uses - it's already late, so I haven't start yet, but I wonder if it lets you save, and if those 30 sessions mean a completed level each, or simply times you just open the game...

Andyliini

Gold Member
I have completed the demo twice now. You can save the data between each Chapter. The demo consists of three chapters, which are quite short to complete; During my first playtrough I watched all the cutscenes and it took me about 1h 30min to complete it. Next time, I skipped all of them, and it took me roughly 30 minutes to do. The game tells you the prizes after you beat the demo, and also keeps up the number of replays, so it's quite safe to say that to get all the prizes, you need to clear the demo 10 times.

Feels like continuation of the first game, which I enjoyed. The battles seem to be a bit shorter this time, as enemies do not have as much damage health as before. I'm not sure if it's just the demo, but there doesn't seem to be original characters this time around, the story seems to have Reiji & Xiaomu as lead characters again.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I have completed the demo twice now. You can save the data between each Chapter. The demo consists of three chapters, which are quite short to complete; During my first playtrough I watched all the cutscenes and it took me about 1h 30min to complete it. Next time, I skipped all of them, and it took me roughly 30 minutes to do. The game tells you the prizes after you beat the demo, and also keeps up the number of replays, so it's quite safe to say that to get all the prizes, you need to clear the demo 10 times.

Feels like continuation of the first game, which I enjoyed. The battles seem to be a bit shorter this time, as enemies do not have as much damage health as before. I'm not sure if it's just the demo, but there doesn't seem to be original characters this time around, the story seems to have Reiji & Xiaomu as lead characters again.

PxZ is the successor to NxC and NxC's main heroes are Reiji and Xiaomu, PxZ2 just shifts the focus back on them.

SephLuis

If the boss strategy and ultimate power doesn`t revolve around summoning other dozen of enemies, I am happy.

Loona

Messed around with the demo - thanks to the ability of powering up attacks you haven't used yet, you don't feel forced to make combos as long as possible, which shortens battle time, and individual SP pools makes using Full Defense more of an option, which is nice - less time spent micro-managing health and items that way.

Liking the dialogue an interactions so far, and they're not even holding back on showing Reiji and Xiaomu's kinks in a demo.

Also: "When life gives you lemons, lock yourself in your room and read all of them" - Xiaomu. I was not expecting fanfic jokes...

I'm still not sure if the preorder bonuses only apply to digital versions of the game, or physical too... not can I've been able to find a preorder button in the eShop...

Demo showed they fixed a lot of the issues I had with the first one. The customization options that were severely lacking from the original, and it looks like they've tried to speed up how long combat takes. Really enjoying this more than the original already.

Oh hey, this demo has the update patch that gives you the option to use the circle pad or Dpad to move the units on the map.

Also Tetsuo name drop by Xiaomu.

Oh hey, this demo has the update patch that gives you the option to use the circle pad or Dpad to move the units on the map.

I am so glad Xiaomu is continuing the trend of dropping esoteric references at appropriate opportunities.

Demo was pretty good, though the "improvements" to pacing I can't entirely tell if it'll be indicative of what it will be like in the late game. I still vividly remember how much of a drag near the end battles were in the first game, that I can't even remember what the first few chapters of that were like. Either way, I was able to take out BB Hood on the first go with one unit, so that felt good already.

That aside, stuff like positioning in battle mattering for damage output, earning money, shops, and upgrading abilities is already greatly appreciated as far as additions go.

Razzorn34

I am so glad Xiaomu is continuing the trend of dropping esoteric references at appropriate opportunities.

Demo was pretty good, though the "improvements" to pacing I can't entirely tell if it'll be indicative of what it will be like in the late game. I still vividly remember how much of a drag near the end battles were in the first game, that I can't even remember what the first few chapters of that were like. Either way, I was able to take out BB Hood on the first go with one unit, so that felt good already.

That aside, stuff like positioning in battle mattering for damage output, earning money, shops, and upgrading abilities is already greatly appreciated as far as additions go.

Man. Sounds much improved. Things like battle positioning mattering would make the first game more interesting.

I've been trying to blow through PXZ1 before this came out, but damn if the game doesn't get boring as hell. The gameplay is fun to a point, but is getting extremely repetitive with next to no strategy involved. The story is dragging, and everything seems to take way too long overall. I'm losing interest quick, and I don't have a habit of dropping games.

Ilvocare

8Qf9SIC.jpg

there's always one or so lines hidden in the in-game manual for game's like these that're absurd

I found at least one

Also Xiaomu is SSS-tier, it's been so long that I forgot. Literally the first in-battle line out of her mouth is reaching for the NGE pulls. I'm gonna end up taking absurdly long with the first run-through of the demo, as is the case for me.

Also PXZ1 hates being blown through. You won't manage unless you pace yourself, and even then.

Shizuka

I managed to blow through PXZ1 by playing the battles while I was also playing LoL. As long as you're not devoting 100% of your attention to the game, you won't get that burned or bored.

Bladenic

Downloading now yay. I tried to not spoil the whole cast but I do know that many females were dumped or made solo units for dudes. Bummer.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
On Chapter 3 now & yeah, I can tell a lot was changed. I can't seem to get Cross to activate, so no more spamming attacks combined with Solo or Support units. It really does feel like Namco listened to the complaints & tried to make it feel more tactical. Being able to level up individual attacks is a nice touch. Now I just hope the pacing issue, which was easily the biggest complaint, is fixed.

Also holy crap, the first post-battle quote I got from Xiaomu was a flat-out quote about the "it's iced coffee, it's actually hot" scene from Tales of Symphona. & twice I got the "Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom" reference quote.

Downloading now yay. I tried to not spoil the whole cast but I do know that many females were dumped or made solo units for dudes. Bummer.
Probably on the grounds of "UGGHH, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY FANSERVICE SHOTS OF THE FEMALES DURING ATTACKS" complaints.

Edit: The Symphonia reference: "Here, Reiji, have some nice hot coffee. Got you! It's iced coffee. I LIED! IT WAS HOT!"

Edit 2: Here's the items you get for beating the demo:

1st time: "Lesser New World" item
2nd time: Urashima Special Anniversary Badge" item
3rd: Urashima Special Wooden Sword" Item
4th, 5th, 6th & 7th: 1000 Gold each
8th, 9th, & 10th: 30 CP each

Bladenic

Haha I just came to post the Lloyd reference. I love Xiaomu. I can't say I mind them being the leads over Kogoro and Mii.

I wonder if the multiple demo play through items are worth it? The gold and CP don't seem like much though.

Edit: yeah cross attacks seem hard to pull off because it never freezes the enemy anymore. Reminds me of that one solo unit's attack (something with J from the first game).

Scirrocco

She also made a sort of reference about Gunsmith cats, when the yakuza guys talked about getting their guns. It wasn't the cleverest.

Also holy crap, the first post-battle quote I got from Xiaomu was a flat-out quote about the "it's iced coffee, it's actually hot" scene from Tales of Symphona. & twice I got the "Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom" reference quote.

Probably on the grounds of "UGGHH, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY FANSERVICE SHOTS OF THE FEMALES DURING ATTACKS" complaints.

Edit: The Symphonia reference: "Here, Reiji, have some nice hot coffee. Got you! It's iced coffee. I LIED! IT WAS HOT!"

So what was the salad kingdom thing a reference too? I don't know the original I guess.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
She call Reiji "Sir Cucumber" who was the main character of the game, & also mentions the Salad Kingdom needs rescuing or something. "Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom" was a NES game by Hudson Soft.

there's always one or so lines hidden in the in-game manual for game's like these that're absurd

I found at least one

Also Xiaomu is SSS-tier, it's been so long that I forgot. Literally the first in-battle line out of her mouth is reaching for the NGE pulls. I'm gonna end up taking absurdly long with the first run-through of the demo, as is the case for me.

Also PXZ1 hates being blown through. You won't manage unless you pace yourself, and even then.

Yeah that NGE quote totally side swiped me. I loved it.

Ilvocare

I'm gonna end up taking absurdly long with the first run-through of the demo, as is the case for me.

So remember when I said this?

I just clocked in my first clear at 3 hours. That's double the time that most people here seem to have spent. Suddenly I think I understand why the pacing of PXZ1 didn't bother me...

Be back when I decide to post a picture of how many times I decided to clear the demo.

Boss Doggie

why is ouma US branch girl end her sentences in desu

also why can't I screencap via miiverse ;_;

Loona

why is ouma US branch girl end her sentences in desu

Isn't the point the in the original Japanese version she's a foreigner fumbling her way through trying to speak Japanese?
If so, I guess for the localization they tried to reverse the languages for a similar odd effect.

Boss Doggie

Isn't the point the in the original Japanese version she's a foreigner fumbling her way through trying to speak Japanese?
If so, I guess for the localization they tried to reverse the languages for a similar odd effect.

it also helps her voiced english sounds broken

Andyliini

Gold Member
I just noticed that during Support attack Xiaomu actually says "Die monster, you don't belong in this world".

Great nod there, chuckled a bit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"This fox doesn't need a spaceship to be a star!"

Xiaomu, you were just the best. I still need to see the Evangelion & Castlevania references.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've heard it's something like "I'm a Cruel Angel and this is my Thesis of Pain!" but I haven't seen it for myself. Seems to appear if you summon Xiaomu/Reiji as support.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
What the heck did they do to the controls?! I get that instead of a speed/turn order ya can pick whomever ya want ta move around now but the cursor movement is sooooo sloooooow compared to the first game. Just looking around the field for breakable stuff or items takes so long now n/m selecting units.

Anyhows ya can upgrade your moves now?! Direction of attacks matters?? I didn't ask for this sequel to be deeper or more strategic, hopefully I can cope!

Also when the Yakuza battle theme came on I just had ta pump up the volume! So good!

Top Bottom