• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project x Zone 2 English demo to be out in Jan 21st

I've heard it's something like "I'm a Cruel Angel and this is my Thesis of Pain!" but I haven't seen it for myself. Seems to appear if you summon Xiaomu/Reiji as support.

Ah, I think I may have seen that.

What the heck did they do to the controls?! I get that instead of a speed/turn order ya can pick whomever ya want ta move around now but the cursor movement is sooooo sloooooow compared to the first game. Just looking around the field for breakable stuff or items takes so long now n/m selecting units.

Anyhows ya can upgrade your moves now?! Direction of attacks matters?? I didn't ask for this sequel to be deeper or more strategic, hopefully I can cope!

Also when the Yakuza battle theme came on I just had ta pump up the volume! So good!

IIRC, you can hold the Y button to make the cursor move faster.

It's easy to get accustomed to.

Based Yuzo Koshiro.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If you hold....Y, I think, you can speed up the cursor on the battlefield.

Might need to switch to D-Pad for moving units, kind of feels weird using the circle pad.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Okay I'll try the Y holdy thing next time through! An ya I switched right back ta d-pad movement as soon as I figured out how to!

Scirrocco

So how do Mirage cancels work? Is it possible to pull them off in the beta or are they not unlocked yet?

I haven't figured it out yet and can't seem to find an explanation online.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't think they're available in the demo.

Are Cross attacks harder to pull off now? I can't seem to do them as easily compared to the first game. I think the only one I can consistantly (to some extent) pull off is if I summon Phoenix Wright to use the Psych-Lock which freezes the enemy.

Are Cross attacks harder to pull off now? I can't seem to do them as easily compared to the first game. I think the only one I can consistantly (to some extent) pull off is if I summon Phoenix Wright to use the Psych-Lock which freezes the enemy.
Yeah, the timing for them definitely feels a lot tighter than before. Hell, sometimes even when you initiate a new attack on a juggled enemy that's dead, landing the first hit won't always guarantee they'll get juggled again and will hit the ground ending the combo.

Timing for everything combat related feels way more strict, especially when trying to get as many critical bonuses as possible.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I notice some attacks have long start ups before initiating, so yeah timing is a bit harder now.

What the heck did they do to the controls?! I get that instead of a speed/turn order ya can pick whomever ya want ta move around now but the cursor movement is sooooo sloooooow compared to the first game. Just looking around the field for breakable stuff or items takes so long now n/m selecting units.

You can scroll between characters too by pressing L or R.

Ilvocare

So how do Mirage cancels work? Is it possible to pull them off in the beta or are they not unlocked yet?

I haven't figured it out yet and can't seem to find an explanation online.

They're totally available in the demo, and explained within the in-game Crosspedia. You gotta find the right topic on it, though.

MCs have huge potential to make damage ABSURD, but considering how weak the enemies in the game seem to be all around, they seem almost unnecessary after the fact...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
CONTRA 3: THE ALIEN WARS REFERENCE!!

"Time for revenge! Let's attack aggressively!"

giphy.gif

That makes, what, 6 references Xiaomu says in her battle dialogue?

Edit: I found the Evangelion one: "I'm a cruel angel, & my thesis is you're dead meat!"

Alright, went through the demo ten times so I'm guaranteed to get all those bonuses once the full game releases. I was questioning myself near the end if I was getting worse at the demo because of how much longer it was taking to kill all the enemies in Chapter 3. But then I reread the end of demo message and that loading the clear data for another run through makes the enemies tougher.

Reached a point where I couldn't get through without Jin/Kazuya or Dmitri/Morrigan getting murdered by BB Hood. Sure explained a lot.

Still been pretty fun trying out the different gameplay features and actually looking more at the specifics. Didn't realize initially that CP is earned by each individual unit, which should make upgrading moves regularly for everyone feasible. And those Mirage Cancels are interesting, though I don't see much reason for it outside of wanting to increase your hit combo just for a higher gold percentage. Learning the timings for crits the normal way seems more useful anyway.

And now to wait for the full release...

how do you mirage cancel? where is it under crosspedia?

Press the B button during a battle when you have 100XP or over. Will use up the 100XP, but you can get get 50XP back if you use it at the right frame of attack animation. You'll know you've done it right when the characters have a red aura around them, otherwise it'll be a gray aura. This is where the training mode comes in handy.

Press the B button during a battle when you have 100XP or over. Will use up the 100XP, but you can get get 50XP back if you use it at the right frame of attack animation. You'll know you've done it right when the characters have a red aura around them, otherwise it'll be a gray aura. This is where the training mode comes in handy.

Damn, didn't even know that was in the demo. Will give it a shot on my next play through.
Also random question, but can/will you be able to switch which character is viewed on the map? I never though to check if that was a thing in 1, and didn't seem to be able to find a way to do that in the demo.

Bladenic

Okay thanks I'll try that

I also wasn't able to do Chris/Jill multi attack but I may have used up my XP without checking

Ilvocare

Checking back in: I have now cleared the demo 5 times out of 10. Going smoothly, if a bit slowly for my taste. There's a whole bunch of shit in the beginning and ending of chapters that you have to skip, and map animations aren't skippable at all. The prologue chapter in particular is completely pointless unless you want the difference between 1790 or 1890 gold, which I can't bring myself to take care of since you might as well play Chapter 2 without equipment anyways, for how much it matters. Originally I thought the scaling on enemies would present a problem, but it's backfired a bit since the disparity in levels means you get WAY more experience for killing something like 3 to 4 levels higher than you. Combine that with Genesis and/or the Sage Fox skill and oops, suddenly my characters are getting access to basic attack #3 before chapter 3. Chapter 3 in particular seems WAY too huge for the fight that takes place on it. Never has it been more obvious that a chapter map is going to be reused later in the main game (probably).

I'm just playing now to see how high this shit will go.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I completed my 4th playthrough & the Yakuza team was able to get their 3rd attack near the end of the demo. Pretty much stopped with equipping skills at this point.

Backflip

When you guys get the game, make sure to team Ryo Hazuki up with Kazuma and Goro. They say some pretty funny stuff together.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
2 more playthroughs & I'll have all the rewards. Enemies are REALLY starting to get tougher now, especially on the 3rd stage with the Q-Bees. Though yeah, because the enemies are stronger, you level up faster.

STHX

I can still find no solid info on the preorder bonuses, like a special stage - if it applies to preordering physical, digital or both, and where...

I don't know if this applies to the US version, but in the EU e-shop it says that you get the preorder bonuses if you buy it digitally (you also get a theme).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg, I found ANOTHER reference Xiaomu makes during my 9th playthrough. "It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!" is from Shadowgate on NES:

its_a_sad_thing.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So think Namco will bring over that Valkyrie game that Japan got that added Xiaomu? Kind of sucks we don't get that LE that Japan got, with that game, another 3DS theme, & music from the first game.

Loona

I don't know if this applies to the US version, but in the EU e-shop it says that you get the preorder bonuses if you buy it digitally (you also get a theme).

I'm in Europe (got my 3DS in Portugal), and the eShop page for the demo mentions the preorder bonuses, but there's nothing to buy or preorder yet - so it's an odd way to implement it.

I wonder if having the demo installed would include the bonuses for the physical version upon detecting the demo or something...

So think Namco will bring over that Valkyrie game that Japan got that added Xiaomu? Kind of sucks we don't get that LE that Japan got, with that game, another 3DS theme, & music from the first game.

I really wish we'd get that game too, but they explicitely left it out off all western promotional materials...

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Oh wow, I didn't know Lucina, Chrom, and
Fiora
were on the back of the box. Should really have been on the front, not that there's much space. At least they're on the box as they should be.

NintenDaan already has his copy as the game releases this Friday in Europe.

Also, debated linking this but Smash fans might get a kick out of it:

Project X Zone 2 WOMBO COMBO

Edit: Not my vid.

When are KOS-MOS and Fiora controllable in the game? I went into the first Project x Zone thinking KOS-MOS would be available early but she was in one of the further chapters. It was so boring trying to get to her.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder if they fixed the pacing problem of "okay, you met the last new unit that joins new, now enjoy fighting the same bosses & getting nobody else for 20 more chapters." That sense of "oh boy, can't wait to see who I get/fight next" was one of the main reasons to keep playing, but then after that, that's when the pacing really got bad.

Atrarock

Wow, X & Zero now that early huh, I remember them in PxZ joining roughly half of the game.
It was like that for Megaman Volnutt and Roll as well NxC.

That sounds neat. Thanks for the info. How long would it take to get there on average? PXZ was so slow and I'm guessing this one is improved. Will the story be interesting?
I can't speak for the story...yet (only played the Japanese version) but I've beaten it on Normal and Advance Mode, it doesn't feel like it takes too long. Plus you see some of the more...crazy things happen in the beginning. Anyway, I would say it takes less than 3 hours, possibly faster depending on how you play.

That sounds neat. Thanks for the info. How long would it take to get there on average? PXZ was so slow and I'm guessing this one is improved. Will the story be interesting?

Probably an hour, hour and a half. The game feels nowhere near as long as the first thanks to enemies not being damage sponges and being ridiculously easy.

Wow, X & Zero now that early huh, I remember them in PxZ joining roughly half of the game.

Second to last, I think. Vile stole their spotlight though thanks to him having his MHX persona, which I really miss in PXZ2.

Backflip

Some of the dialogue in this game is killing me. You really have to try to switch teams up.

I wonder how many chapters there are in the game. I'm more than 20 hours in and I don't want it to end.

Ilvocare

To be precise, they were the second-to-last pair unit to join in PXZ1. That being said, you got all your pair units then about halfway through the game, and you didn't get EVERYONE until
chapter 27/28. The slash is because I consider the Gespenst to be a pseudo-character that joins...

On another note, I finished running the demo to my satisfaction a while back.

Really, the demo started to push back around runs 9 and 10. The problem wasn't even THAT huge: just the Mishima and Darkstalkers units that join in Chapter 3 are severely underleveled compared to your other three units, and the Q-Bees are right next to them so if they get bound then they start to struggle.

Of note is that all my runs for the demo past my first one (which I spent 3 hours on reading everything I could) took 50 minutes to complete. Every single time. So as far as I can tell, difficulty doesn't make the game take unnecessarily longer to play, which is cool. Also, hearing people say they cleared the demo in 30 minutes and that I wasn't able to hit that mark when actively trying to bums me out....

Top Bottom