• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
We need to fucking abolish the MPAA. They're an archaic joke that serve only to add fear and uncertainty to our socio-economic landscape.

JdFoX187

Banned
Whats the last big-budget R-rated movie anyone can think of? I think it's Watchmen, although bizarrely that easily could have been a PG-13 with the ending change, it was mainly an R due to Zack Snyder's slo-mo violence fetish.
Would The Expendables be considered "big-budget?" Also Immortals had a $75 million budget. That's nothing to sneeze at. But Watchmen is the last R rated $100 million+ film released.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
We need to fucking abolish the MPAA. They're an archaic joke that serve only to add fear and uncertainty to our socio-economic landscape.

The MPAA can stay, it's the ratings system that needs to be trashed. Get rid of the letter ratings and focus on the actual descriptions of what's in movies. Make it more like TV ratings, where the reasons for the ratings are actually given and advertised.

I'm not sure how you immediately solve the issue of people wanting to restrict who gets into what, but at least putting the descriptions at the forefront will better educate people about what's going on. I suppose certain qualifiers would trigger age restrictions (ie. extreme/graphic violence, graphic sex, etc), but even that's still an improvement over today's mysterious system where you have to hunt down the given reasons for a rating.

The MPAA can stay, it's the ratings system that needs to be trashed. Get rid of the letter ratings and focus on the actual descriptions of what's in movies. Make it more like TV ratings, where the reasons for the ratings are actually given and advertised.

I'm not sure how you immediately solve the issue of people wanting to restrict who gets into what, but at least putting the descriptions at the forefront will better educate people about what's going on. I suppose certain qualifiers would trigger age restrictions (ie. extreme/graphic violence, graphic sex, etc), but even that's still an improvement over today's mysterious system where you have to hunt down the given reasons for a rating.

The MPAA and TV ratings seem very similar to me. I've seen descriptions on movie ratings and I think the letter system is a good idea. It makes it easy for the masses. How the films are rated is what needs changing.

Angry Fork

Whats the last big-budget R-rated movie anyone can think of? I think it's Watchmen, although bizarrely that easily could have been a PG-13 with the ending change, it was mainly an R due to Zack Snyder's slo-mo violence fetish.

Matrix Reloaded maybe? Don't know if Watchmen cost more than that.

As for MPAA there's some documentary that talks about some fucked up shit that they do I haven't seen it yet. Quentin Tarantino (at least I think it was Quentin, maybe it was some other famous director) talked about how they were with lower tier directors. They would give PG-13 to violent movies as long as you were famous/had money or tell you exactly what you needed to cut but if you were broke and an up and coming director they put R rating for any little thing and wouldn't have any conversation with you about the changes you needed to make.

ninja edit - Matter of fact I think it might be Trey Parker that talked about this not Quentin.

FoneBone

I'm not going to defend the MPAA as it currently operates, but I'm inclined to think that a ratings system is a necessary evil, if only to keep the government out of it.

FoneBone

Back in '07 the MPAA floated around the idea of splitting "hard R" and "soft R" ratings, but it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

Goody

Oh, man, I can't wait that trailer to be officially released. This is the first movie I've been this excited for in a long, long time.

Funny thing is that I only just watched Aliens and Alien 3 (the assembly cut) for the first time to prepare myself for Infestation. The original has always been one of my favorites. I absolutely love this universe and am really glad to see what's going on with Prometheus.

Hopefully I'll be able to say the same thing about whatever that Blade Runner project Scott's taking on.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I believe Scott said he is shooting it the way he is going to shoot it. So even with the cuts, we should still get his version on BluRay at the very least.

Puddles

Banned
Back in '07 the MPAA floated around the idea of splitting "hard R" and "soft R" ratings, but it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

This needs to be done. I'd go with 13, 15 and 17 ratings. 17 would be for stuff like Martyrs. Just about every R-rated action flick would get a 15 rating under my system.

It really needs to happen, because it's getting to to the point where it's actually inhibiting creativity. We are actively making our culture worse and leaving an inferior legacy to future generations by continuing with this archaic ratings system.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Aliens was done with a budget of $18 million.
Yeah. The #1 action film of all time.

count inflation in.

I believe Scott said he is shooting it the way he is going to shoot it. So even with the cuts, we should still get his version on BluRay at the very least.

there will be no swearing anyway. can you imagine people running into Alien and not saying FUCK at least?

JonnyBrad

Other than Event Horizon you might try Sunshine, dir. by Danny Boyle. The underrated American remake of Solaris is worth checking out as well if you have the inclination. Neither are full-on horror but they're both pretty tense and evoke a similar feel, I think. Eden Log is pretty interesting as well but even further of the mark as it's not in space.

Sunshine was great, up until the
stupid last act

Don't know if I want to see this in theaters if this turns out true. Would rather wait for final cut on Blu Ray. But the sound + IMAX in theaters...

Ugh fuck studios. Just nut up and give it R they act like this is some amateur first time director. I bet even Spielberg wouldn't be able to get a big budget R rated thing out there either.

Wonder if it's possible for Ridley Scott to sacrifice pay to ensure R rating or if that's still too little compared to potential lost PG kids.

You would be wrong, considering Spielberg is the head of his own studio - Dreamworks.

A lot of people saying they're gonna skip theater version for the supposed R rated special edition should also remember that this is being filmed and designed down to every facet in 3D.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The MPAA and TV ratings seem very similar to me. I've seen descriptions on movie ratings and I think the letter system is a good idea. It makes it easy for the masses. How the films are rated is what needs changing.

The descriptions already exist, yes, but you don't see them in ads. Trailers might have them at the very beginning before you even know what you're looking at. It's really up to people to actively search out the reasons for any given letter rating.

They should do cards like FX, HBO, Showtime, etc do, which tells you what possible controversial material is in the upcoming program. I think that'd be a step in the right direction, and might help the general public to see how backwards and stupid the MPAA's internal reasoning is. The way the internal stuff is handled also needs to be changed, but I suspect it'd be easier to just change how the same information is being presented than to confront the root of the problem head on.

We also need to get a functioning adult rating. It's incredibly retarded that the whole system pretty much revolves around 13 and 17 year olds. We don't let 17 year olds drink or vote, hell they still have legal guardians. They shouldn't be determining the upper content limit of movies.

Exactly. America is fucked like that.

Here in Aus were have G, PG, M15+ (recommended for 15 and older), MA15+ (restricted to 15 and older), R18+

And for example, a movie like Aliens or The Terminator would be M15+ here - anybody could go see them.

Apatow comedies are always MA15+, whilst the last R18 movie I remember coming out was Rambo 4. And all R18+ movies get wide releases still.

Matt

Here in Aus were have G, PG, M15+ (recommended for 15 and older), MA15+ (restricted to 15 and older), R18+

And for example, a movie like Aliens or The Terminator would be M15+ here - anybody could go see them.

Apatow comedies are always MA15+, whilst the last R18 movie I remember coming out was Rambo 4. And all R18+ movies get wide releases still.

We're fucked like that...except our ratings aren't enforced by law. So I think that makes it a little better.

Most countries have "soft" and "hard" R rating, and if the MPAA adopted it things would be so much better. At the moment there's this weird rigid rulebook of what you can and can't show and do for the lower rating (the whole "you can say fuck only once" thing for example) and medium-to-big budget movies are rigidly cut according to this. Something like a 15 rating would probably change that.

I mean, Taken was recut to a PG-13! I've only seen the original European cut, and I can't even imagine a sanitised version.

Scott said he is shooting a cut of PG-13 and R then once finalized will determine which one to release.

Either way the studio is filled with dipshits if they think a rating REALLY matters for such a film. This is a film that 17+ year olds want to see, it's that simple. At the end of the day, they wont lose or gain money with picking one rating over the other.

Look at Battle LA vs District 9....District 9 was a hard R yet made about 35million more in the states than LA. Both directly aiming at the same crowd yet District 9 managed quite a bit more cash.

Rating is such a non variable with this type of movie.

Scott said he is shooting a cut of PG-13 and R then once finalized will determine which one to release.

Either way the studio is filled with dipshits if they think a rating REALLY matters for such a film. This is a film that 17+ year olds want to see, it's that simple. At the end of the day, they wont lose or gain money with picking one rating over the other.

Look at Battle LA vs District 9....District 9 was a hard R yet made about 35million more in the states than LA. Both directly aiming at the same crowd yet District 9 managed quite a bit more cash.

The thing is, if the decision is passed to studio execs, they'll go for the PG-13 cut in a heartbeat, due to the potential for more bums on seats.

JdFoX187

Banned

There's also the fact that one movie ad Peter Jackson's name slapped all over the marketing and the other was a generic looking sci-fi mashup that had a terrible marketing campaign after the initial teaser trailer. Also ignoring the fact District 9 was a damn fine movie. And this is coming from someone that absolutely loved Battle: Los Angeles.

Ratings make a bigger difference than you think when it comes to bringing in people to the box office.

Leatherface

This movie better not be fucking PG-13 or I will..I'll.....I'll sit here and be very pissed off and complain about it on the internet. :p

seriously though. PLEASE have an "R" rating and do not fuck this movie up!! :O

Man

I like that this movie puts the profession of being an (spoiler!)
engineer as the highest order in society. 'Gods, engineers of space'. There's two roles for the movie titled engineer and elder engineer.

FoneBone

There's also the fact that one movie ad Peter Jackson's name slapped all over the marketing and the other was a generic looking sci-fi mashup that had a terrible marketing campaign after the initial teaser trailer. Also ignoring the fact District 9 was a damn fine movie. And this is coming from someone that absolutely loved Battle: Los Angeles.

Ratings make a bigger difference than you think when it comes to bringing in people to the box office.

More relevant is that District 9 probably cost less than half what Battle LA did.

I do not believe the MPAA allows one movie to have two ratings for a theatrical release. There are some rules regarding it. You can have a PG-13 cut and a R-rated Special Edition or Director's Cut, but you cannot run both at the same time. You have to end the theatrical run for one before you can start the next. And you have to clearly market and indicate the they are different products. Consumer confusion, etc.

In my wildest dreams Prometheus becomes a huge hit and the studio decides to release the R-rated extended version come the fall as a way get a bit more cash out of it. Hell, if Fox said they would do this I would drag people to the theater on June 8th. I'm pretty much guaranteed to see it twice in the theaters, I'd love another reason to see it.

PG-13 you say? Looks like I'll wait until video just like l did with the PG-13 Terminator. Has there beenan R rated franchise that has had a good PG-13 instalment?

jett

D-Member
The script is written as a PG-13 movie afaik. Ridley Scott is making a PG-13 movie. It's not an R movie that's gonna be chopped up for theatrical release.

Prometheus: The Quest fo Mo Money

duckroll

I really don't see why people are arguing against ratings here. It's a bit illogical. The problem really isn't the MPAA, nor is it having ratings. Guidelines for content is always a good thing. The problem here is clearly studios operating on the basis of total potential profit instead of having an interest in serving the target demographic best.

If a movie is intended to be for older audiences, it makes very little creative sense to force the production to aim for a lower rating in terms of content just to potentially sell more tickets. A movie should be made the way it is made, and then given the rating it deserves. The problem is studios aiming for specific ratings, instead of allowing movies to be naturally rated for what they are.

So the problem here doesn't lie with the rating system at all, but the mindset of the people funding movies. They're fucked up.

Semi-late to the party. The EW pics look great, yeah a bit clean but as said before, that will surely be changed in post and these are Corp/science folks, not miners/space truckers. Teaser trailer is sweet despite it's terrible quality.

Also, my theory on the Prometheus legend and the Space Jockey, just in case some of this turns out to be true later:

Maybe similar to how Prometheus was confined to a rock to have his liver eaten out by an eagle repeatedly, perhaps the Space Jockey "stole fire"/technology from the head aliens and they biomechanically fused him to the chair and used him as a sentinel and breeding conduit for the aliens as his punishment? And maybe his race was punished with him?

Alien 4 had some good stuff in it but the choice on a director was very, very wrong.

The director was one of the good things about Alien Regurgitation. It was the shit awful script that was the biggest problem.

Well, that and giant glowing blue dong...

The use of technology to create atmosphere in Alien cannot be topped. It's easily one of the best looking movies ever made.

KTeEN.png

Yeah that tech is amazing to look at that. Hope they don't change it too much for this.

And it is the best looking film ever made. Especially towards the end there with all the lights and smoke. I just sit there in awe watching the whole thing, wondering how you can get something to look so fucking perfect.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The director was one of the good things about Alien Regurgitation. It was the shit awful script that was the biggest problem.

The script isn't that important for Alien movies. People try to get out - that's your script. All survival stuff was done right.

But goofy looking scientists, lolgeneral, other personalities, enviroments - that wasn't done right at all. The movie lacked desperation in its tone. And who the fuck would have expected a serious tone from that director??

The script isn't that important for Alien movies. People try to get out - that's your script. All survival stuff was done right.

But goofy looking scientists, lolgeneral, other personalities, enviroments - that wasn't done right at all. The movie lacked desperation in its tone. And who the fuck would have expected a serious tone from that director??

City of Lost Children was fantastic. And the movie looked damn good outside of the horrible Human/Alien hybrid.

And a script is VERY important to an Alien film. It is not just "stay alive" stuff. The script was a horrible pile of shit with not one redeeming quality.

The cast in it was good as well, but totally wasted. I blame the script and the studio for the clusterfuck that was that movie. And it was also the director's first English language movie (that I can remember), so he was probably under a tight rein by the studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom