• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't a record number of GAFfers walk out of Tree of Life? I always had the impression that it was terrible.

What do walk-outs have to do with quality? I've seen people walk out of theaters during some of my favorite films of all-time. See it and judge it for yourself.

Dany

Banned
So both this and Hobbit are being revealed online, not tied to any film, that we know of. I'd like to be surprised when I catch Dragon Tattoo tomorrow.

People walking out of Tree of Life was frustrating, damn theater had to put up a notice saying 'this film is different'

Wednesday

It's starting at all of my nearby theaters at 7pm tomorrow.

edit: however, that conflicts with Mission: Impossible, which is a priority for me. Sorry! Guess it will be Wednesday then.

shit, Dragon Tattoo starts at 7:45 and the latest M:I showing is 9:30... doesn't seem like I could make that.

MORE EDIT: nevermind found an even closer theater where I can see both tomorrow back to back FUCK YEA

Blackheim

I'm a projectionist. We had GwDT in on Friday, no Prometheus (or any trailer for that matter) trailer came on the HDD nor in the Technicolor weekly trailer shipment. Still, it could come in tomorrow on a USB or Deluxe trailer drive. Hopefully we get it in...

Have a sweet big ass standee though.

gabbo

I'm a projectionist. We had GwDT in on Friday, no Prometheus (or any trailer for that matter) trailer came on the HDD nor in the Technicolor weekly trailer shipment. Still, it could come in tomorrow on a USB or Deluxe trailer drive. Hopefully we get it in...

Have a sweet big ass standee though.

I wonder how Fincher feels about Prometheus trailers running before his film.

Blackheim

I wonder how Fincher feels about Prometheus trailers running before his film.

Hah, I usually just put on something that I feel would appeal to the audience of the feature regardless of what a studio wants me to put on. I mean, they have requested some really stupid trailers to run with some movies.

I want Prometheus on there, so if we get it, it's going on :p

Coens have made better films than Steven Spielberg in the last decade, if you want to be proven wrong. And here are a few more: Wes Anderson, Terrence Malick, Darren Aronofsky, Pedro Almodovar, Andrew Stanton, Brad Bird, Chan-wook Park and David Fincher.

Joke post, right? Especially with Stanton on there. Lol.

ReaperXL7

I'm really interested in seeing how a modern aliens movies does with audiences, especially with the movie not featuring the iconic creatures in all their glory. I suppose maybe thats why "Alien" is not part of the title though, so they don't have to worry about having the Aliens and then people flipping out because of their absence. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ridley does with this, although i'm not entirely sure I want to get very hyped for this just yet. Depending on what information comes out along the way I might see it in theaters, but i'll probably just wait for the DC to hit blu-ray.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah, really you have no one to blame but yourself for that. I mean, just look at how Cloverfield turned out...
It's a guilty pleasure but I liked that film.

I also liked ~15 minutes from 28 Weeks Later (when the husband and wife are re-united and kiss as well as the intro scene) so my opinion is probably bunk.

edit: fixed typo. tired. need sleep.

Carcetti

I'm really interested in seeing how a modern aliens movies does with audiences, especially with the movie not featuring the iconic creatures in all their glory. I suppose maybe thats why "Alien" is not part of the title though, so they don't have to worry about having the Aliens and then people flipping out because of their absence. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ridley does with this, although i'm not entirely sure I want to get very hyped for this just yet. Depending on what information comes out along the way I might see it in theaters, but i'll probably just wait for the DC to hit blu-ray.

Last 3 films with Alien in the name have been utter crap. Better just bury the name for 10 years and let people forget.

Last 3 films with Alien in the name have been utter crap. Better just bury the name for 10 years and let people forget.

That's a really shitty attitude to have though, I mean the last few of them were crappy because of the directors not giving a fuck about good filmmaking. If they advertised this as "from the creator of the original Alien" or something along with quality looking film, I don't think people would ignore it just because they didn't like the last few.

It's a completely different cast and crew. But yes, you're right I guess, but god damn people can be shallow as fuck.

ReaperXL7

While I agree to some extent I would not really count the AVP movies as "Aliens" movies really. I also did not like resurrection, but I am a fan of the first three movies, Aliens being my favorite.

I'd like to see the franchise brought back to life, and if I had faith anyone could do it i'd probably put it in Ridley, or James. Though there are some other directors I could see doing the franchise justice aswell.

I'd like to see the franchise brought back to life, and if I had faith anyone could do it i'd probably put it in Ridley, or James. Though there are some other directors I could see doing the franchise justice aswell.

My first vote would be Alfonso Cuaron. Then maybe... hmm, nah Alfonso Cuaron.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ridley Scott has a certain look that places him high above all the modern directors that touch on Sci-Fi. Love him to bits.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
he also looks so young and energetic considering how old he is.

Carcetti

That's a really shitty attitude to have though, I mean the last few of them were crappy because of the directors not giving a fuck about good filmmaking. If they advertised this as "from the creator of the original Alien" or something along with quality looking film, I don't think people would ignore it just because they didn't like the last few.

It's a completely different cast and crew. But yes, you're right I guess, but god damn people can be shallow as fuck.

Of course people are shallow, but I also think that Alien has also been tapped dry by tons of comics and video games, most mediocre as hell. The xenomorph has been dissected thousands of times, there's almost no mystery left in it. It's about as threatening now as the smurfs.

relaxor

what?
Verhoeven franchise from perspective of young exec, rising to top.

Ha, that would be amazing.

Verhoeven + Alien style violence would be something else.

Cronenberg would be cool. I'm thinking two xenomorphs and two humans, 'taut, edge of your seat suspense'. Lots of talking, sex.

EVIL

I think it is of interest to point out the Mesopotamian writing on the giant face.

don't know if it is possible to find out what is written there.

Arnie

I'll always have a soft spot for Super 8 because I was working in a cinema during the time and it's so much more pleasant having to clean up other people's mess to 'my sharona'. Great credits song.

Plus the kids were brilliant in the film. Plus the soundtrack was great. Plus the film wasn't all that bad. In fact, I loved it.

Tedesco!

Minority report, A.I, Catch Me If You Can, Munich, Tintin.

Are you telling me Scott has a better filmography this past decade?

I'll give you Minority Report and Munich. I've not seen Tintin so I can't comment on that. Lets us not forget that Spielberg also made The Terminal, War of the Worlds, and Indy 4 (which is the equivalent of two shitty movies).

The good Scott films, IMO, are Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven, American Gangster, (and I assume) Prometheus. Of course, he also made Robin Hood, Body of Lies, and Hannibal.

So, it's a wash.

Tom_Cody

http://filmophilia.com/2011/12/17/i...us-giger-beginning-of-man-and-original-alien/

Part I'm most intrigued by in the recently released Scott interview:

Ridley Scott said:
I think one of the reasons why I’ve never gone back to science-fiction, even though I’ve often noodled around, thought about it, looked for story, looked for material, is that there’s a nice purity to the original Alien. It’s fairly pure. And this one does actually raise all kinds of other questions, because if someone could, a being, could be as monstrously clever to create something like we experienced in the very first one – I always figured it’s a weapon, and I always figured that [the ship in the first Alien] was a carrier of weapons. Therefore, who is that, inside that suit? That wasn’t a skeleton, that was a suit. And if you open up the suit, what do you get inside it? And why were they going, where were they going?
??? I hadn't even considered this. Everyone seems to be excited about the xenomorphs or whatever version of xenomorphs appear in the movie. I can't wait to see what the suitless Space Jockeys look like and the OMFG potential of SJ-incubated xenomorphs!

I think I am going to enjoy the speculation leading up to this film more than the film itself. This concept is just so ripe. The imagination just runs wild.

Eh, the Royal Tennenbaums and No Country are the only two "Oscar" worthy films in the past decade from Anderson and the Coen Brothers.

EDIT-Had no idea Ridley Scott directed Matchstick Men. Movie was AMAZING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom