• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Rodhull

I'd imagine someone like Colin would be the last thing they'd want. They already appeared uncomfortable with the alt-right audience he was attracting.

fastmower

That once again boils down to your opinion, what you call ignorant and dumb, I consider it something that needs to be said. If everyone agreed in everything the world would be a spooky village of the damned type place.
What if saying what's on your mind ends up spreading misinformation? That's never healthy.

Nero18

That once again boils down to your opinion, what you call ignorant and dumb, I consider it something that needs to be said. If everyone agreed in everything the world would be a spooky village of the damned type place.

I've heard Colin on many occasions misrepresent facts as a way to strengthen his arguments in a discussion. I'm sure he's saying what he deems necessary but being ignorant in that regard is just harmful and it doesn't come down to political opinion. Whether its intentional or not doesn't even matter, you're lying at that point.

What if saying what's on your mind ends up spreading misinformation? That's never healthy.

It comes down to intent. I'm actually pretty well known for being a "zero-taboo, let's all be honest and say what we think/feel" camp. I say some things that, I've been told, have helped people open up and discuss topics after the shock value of hearing someone say it out loud.

My intent in doing so is never to jam my controversial thoughts down peoples throats, my intent is to make people comfortable to tear down barriers that stifle conversation and talk about anything and everything. Break things down, learn, engage with opposing views.

So in short I agree with the other poster, I enjoy and believe saying what's on your mind is a good, healthy thing. The problem is some people don't want to engage like that to learn, they want to do it to berate and belittle.

Cheska

I really thought Greg/Colin Beyond and now PS, I Love You were some of the best Playstation-centric podcasts. Anyone have any luck with any other podcasts? I've tried PSNation in the past, but couldn't quite get into it.

I'll still listen to PSILY if they release new content because I genuinely think Greg is an entertaining guy to listen to, but I need some fresh new material in the mean time.

Visceir

PS I Love You XOXO as a brand seems far too significant and big for KF to just outright drop it. I'm sure Greg will figure out something to do with the podcast and has the ties and connections to make things happen.

This podcast along with Easy Allies' and Giant bomb's were the ones I listened to, would be a shame to see it completely gone.

As I said yesterday, the answer is clearly Clements. If Ryan doesn't want to come over, then Goldfarb would also be a great replacement. Keep it in the family. They're PlayStation experts, they have great chemistry with Greg, but they still have different viewpoints than he does.
Personally, I think PSILYXOXO has been needing a third chair for awhile, maybe a rotating third chair?

fastmower

It comes down to intent. I'm actually pretty well known for being a "zero-taboo, let's all be honest and say what we think/feel" camp. I say some things that, I've been told, have helped people open up and discuss topics after the shock value of hearing someone say it out loud.

My intent in doing so is never to jam my controversial thoughts down peoples throats, my intent is to make people comfortable to tear down barriers that stifle conversation and talk about anything and everything. Break things down, learn, engage with opposing views.

So in short I agree with the other poster, I enjoy and believe saying what's on your mind is a good, healthy thing. The problem is some people don't want to engage like that to learn, they want to do it to berate and belittle.
There are mature ways to play devil's advocate and shitty ways. A lot of people think Colin's style of presenting opposing views was in the shitty camp.

j_rocca42

As I said yesterday, the answer is clearly Clements. If Ryan doesn't want to come over, then Goldfarb would also be a great replacement. Keep it in the family. They're PlayStation experts, they have great chemistry with Greg, but they still have different viewpoints than he does.
Personally, I think PSILYXOXO has been needing a third chair for awhile, maybe a rotating third chair?

So why not Greg and Tim with a rotating third chair?

RoKKeR

I think the show should be killed. KF lost 1/4 of their "talent" yesterday, and in real terms likely much more from the combined dynamic of Colin and Greg that brought so many people to their content in the first place. KF can and will exist without Colin, but in doing so I think it requires a shake-up of their content schedule, a slight rebranding/re-launching, and an investment in new shows and ideas. Dragging the half-dead corpse of PSILY along while Colin's ghost lingers over whoever is in a "rotating chair" isn't in anybody's best interest IMO.

Zukkoyaki

Maybe it's a good time to trim some of the fat from the podcast. Things like The Drop and Trophy Time could probably be dropped entirely or at least shortened. They're usually like 30 minutes of the podcast and offer very little in the way of meaningful discussion. I mean 90% of those segments is just reading off of a webpage verbatim.

If the podcast persists they should focus on why people really tune in: Game impressions, topic of the week and reader mail. And speaking of reader mail, the questions they choose to answer are often redundant. Though I don't know if it's simply the questions they have to choose from or if it's the one they pick.

As others have said, Vince Ingenito would be a great pick up. Unlike Clements or Goldfarb, he is looking for work and has expressed that he would love to join Kinda Funny. Also, he got his job at IGN because of Colin and Greg. He was just a fan who snuck into a live Beyond and introduced himself. He was a Beyond fan that actually became a rotating guest. Greg (and Colin) helped get him the job at IGN. Now Greg can do the same for him at Kinda Funny.

Kasper

I have a hard time seeing what Greg could do to revamp the podcast (at least in a way that I would enjoy) successfully. A dream scenario would be to hijack Clements and Goldfarb or something, but that's unrealistic to say the least.

I just can't imagine Colin getting replaced by someone like Vince (or Tim for that matter) being all that great of an outcome. It needs to be someone that knows what they're talking about or it'll just turn into another Beyond situation, and the site already has a more general gaming podcast with KFGC so that would be redundant.

Hopefully it'll all work out, but I doubt it.

Biggest positive for Tim is that he isn't dug in to viewpoints like Greg and Colin, he was the only one who thought Last Guardian was worth the relatively small time investment and whilst PSILY was talking about reviewer bias, the Gamescast had actual real discussion about the game.

He shouldn't be the first choice but to me he isn't a bad choice, especially given how far he's progressed in other areas of the business.

As others have said, Vince Ingenito would be a great pick up. Unlike Clements or Goldfarb, he is looking for work and has expressed that he would love to join Kinda Funny. Also, he got his job at IGN because of Colin and Greg. He was just a fan who snuck into a live Beyond and introduced himself. He was a Beyond fan that actually became a rotating guest. Greg (and Colin) helped get him the job at IGN. Now Greg can do the same for him at Kinda Funny.

Ah I didn't realize he had left IGN, that explains why everyone was calling for him. Yeah, if he's unemployed, then he'd also be a great pickup.

Thorrgal

Biggest positive for Tim is that he isn't dug in to viewpoints like Greg and Colin, he was the only one who thought Last Guardian was worth the relatively small time investment and whilst PSILY was talking about reviewer bias, the Gamescast had actual real discussion about the game.

He shouldn't be the first choice but to me he isn't a bad choice, especially given how far he's progressed in other areas of the business.

I agree. I'd watch Greg, Tim and a rotating third chair.

I don't think they will hire someone just to co-host the podcast.

I also think it may get redundant so I'd understand if they cancel it

ghornett

Neo Member

I am sort of in the camp that Tim wouldn't be that great on the PS beat. But you bring up a good point about him playing TLG, he would put effort in for sure.

If PS I Love You does continue it would be nice if they kept it under 90 minutes. Nowadays I only tune in to the "topic of the show".

I guarantee if Greg does retool the show they'll kill of all of Colin's segments. And let's be honest; Colin's segments were the worst part of the show. Roper's Report? I've already read all of this news. Sure it's great when they discuss it, but most of the time they either don't discuss it or say two or three sentences on it. The Drop? Who the hell cares about you reading the description of games released this week? Trophy Time? Yawn.

I guarantee if Greg does retool the show they'll kill of all of Colin's segments. And let's be honest; Colin's segments were the worst part of the show. Roper's Report? I've already read all of this news. Sure it's great when they discuss it, but most of the time they either don't discuss it or say two or three sentences on it. The Drop? Who the hell cares about you reading the description of games released this week? Trophy Time? Yawn.

I think News is important, but maybe limit it to like a Top 5 most important things this week. Do the TOW, and then do the please shuhei change our name and hit of the week.

Fjordson

Interesting. Vince is good people, would be a nice hire imo.

Past

So is Greg ever going back to Persona 5? Seems like he is more interested in playing Mass Effect Andromeda and Zelda BOTW despite being hype as fuck for Persona 5 last year.

sora87

So is Greg ever going back to Persona 5? Seems like he is more interested in playing Mass Effect Andromeda and Zelda BOTW despite being hype as fuck for Persona 5 last year.

Problem is they're all huge games and he'll probably be the only one out of them who plays ME and P5 so he'll be looked to for coverage about them on the gamescast. Probably best to get ME done with as that comes out first.

Keep the news only if they actually have a discussion on it. Just saying what happened and moving on is kinda pointless.

killroy87

Keep the news only if they actually have a discussion on it. Just saying what happened and moving on is kinda pointless.

Yeah, the news can stay. I enjoy discussion of the news.

The Drop, though. That's a section that's almost as if they included it just to spite the audience. They're literally just reading press releases for the new games releasing each week. Suuuuuuuuuuuch a waste of time.

ghornett

Neo Member
They don't have to read the whole drop and their shitty descriptions but I enjoy their pick of the weeks when it's not obvious.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Co-sign this.

Roper's report would be fine if they actually devoted some time to discussing some of the news headlines in detail instead of just reading a summary. Also weird how they do game announcements for random ass games that no one brings up elsewhere. Might be helpful if they pushed the show to later in the week. So you're not wasting time discussing week old news.

Trophy time and the drop are time filler segments that i skip through EVERY single time. I understand the drive to pop them but does the community actually want to hear about individual trophies? The Drop is just them making fun of game descriptions for trash games. People watching the show know what big releases are out.

With that being said...these segments are often like half the show lol

Icolin

Banned
He's definitely the cool uncle of the group

He's the cool but creepy uncle. Still love him though, especially because of this gif:

9a5bb67691c8924c811045558da2710a.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Roper's Reports, TOS, and Q&A are the best parts of the show cause it's discussion based either on the news, topic of the show, or the questions obviously.

I don't mind some filler segments like Forgotten PS Game and the Best Friend.

That being said like others have mentioned the Drop is literally just reading a webpage out loud. Kill that shit asap.

Also ditto trophy time is kinda boring. I wouldn't mind them keeping it if they could just shorten it up. Nobody cares about the deep dive.

paulogy

Now that Colin has announced his new project (and it seems to have nothing to do with games), as well as indicated he'd be leaving San Francisco soon, that seems to kill any chance that Greg would continue P.S. I Love You XOXO with Colin in a temporary spot.

And with Colin's departure from the industry that means PlayStation loses one of it's biggest voices.

Hopefully Kinda Funny can come up with something else compelling in the PlayStation space, or another podcast (Beyond, EZA, Blogcast etc.) can ascend to take its place.

j_rocca42

TBH, I didn't think there was a chance of Colin staying on temporarily. That shouldn't effect whether or not PSILY continues. The other day on the morning show, Greg said he had a plan in the works but wasn't ready to talk about it. (Paraphrasing).

Mezoly

TBH, I didn't think there was a chance of Colin staying on temporarily. That shouldn't effect whether or not PSILY continues. The other day on the morning show, Greg said he had a plan in the works but wasn't ready to talk about it. (Paraphrasing).

Oh nice, I didn't know that. Hope it is soon within 2-3 weeks.

After two weeks off, I realized I am really missing this show. I usually listen to it when I cook dinner on Wednesday and go to the gym.

I do hope it comes back!

Top Bottom