• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 fastest-selling console in UK history, outsells Wii U LTD in UK [250K PS4 in 48h]

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

The irony is just so fucking strong that I just burst out laughing and keep waking my wife up. All those posts hyping up 3D World before release, the reviews, the posts with the gif of Iwata leaping out of the coffin. The pure assurance from the Nintendo loyal that the game would come out and kick all kinds of ass... Then it gets curb stomped by Knack. And then all these gifs of Knack trolling. It's just too fucking much.

The irony is just so fucking strong that I just burst out laughing and keep waking my wife up. All those posts hyping up 3D World before release, the reviews, the posts with the gif of Iwata leaping out of the coffin. The pure assurance from the Nintendo loyal that the game would come out and kick all kinds of ass... Then it gets curb stomped by knack. And then all these gifs of Knack trolling. It's just too fucking much.

ehh. just wait until holiday 2014.

jet1911

Knack selling more than Mario is not surprising if you consider that the PS4 obliterated the sales of the WiiU in 2 days. 3D World is still the better game by a huge margin. :p

The irony is just so fucking strong that I just burst out laughing and keep waking my wife up. All those posts hyping up 3D World before release, the reviews, the posts with the gif of Iwata leaping out of the coffin. The pure assurance from the Nintendo loyal that the game would come out and kick all kinds of ass... Then it gets curb stomped by Knack. And then all these gifs of Knack trolling. It's just too fucking much.

Yeah, don't know what those people were thinking. You could compare NSMB Wii & Galaxy numbers and come to a logical conclusion a long time before it happened.

greg400

Banned
The game itself shits all over Knack, not even a comparison.

People are acting like this is the first time a worse game outsold a better one.

0317_xldbt.gif
You should put Cerny's face on Kenny.

Maybe this has been posted already, but I literally laughed out loud with this. Recorded on Black Friday somewhere, a horde of people running straight past the Xbox One to get to the PS4s

iMYAdMT27HSpq.gif

Margalis

Banned
Nah I seen you edit.

I edited for length. And? What I edited out was true, it just didn't add much. You got me!

The PS4 has a higher install base so Knack, a middling game, sold decently. Tearaway and 3D World are both better games on less popular hardware.

Every group does...I particularly noticed this smug attitude from Nintendo fans that seem to imply they are the only fans of pure fun gaming experiences like they don't exist elsewhere, or how nintendos style of gaming with its extrnely kiddy star themed art styles could be off putting to some...but we all have our biases...just hope Sony takes knack and does something great with it, solid mechanics but definitely needs to be flushed out and lose the fixed camera

Man this has been my thoughts since the c

Darmik

Nah I seen your edit.

Its like people are not alot to like a game.

It's totally fine to like Knack over Super Mario 3D World. I mean I personally don't really understand it but it's totally fine.

I do find it a bit immature to brag about other consoles and games struggling with sales however. You would think that the people here who are ecstatic about this have never enjoyed a game or console that hasn't sold well before.

IN&OUT

Banned
Again, why the need to downplay Knack just because it outsold Mario? blame Nintendo for creating WiiU they way it is. blame Nintendo for confusing the world with the name. blame Nintendo for creating an overpriced weak system. blame Nintendo for living in 90's mentality and Technology.

Knack sold better than Mario because PS4 is better system than WiiU.

Congratulation Sony for the earth shattering launch of the PS4.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Nah I seen your edit.

Its like people are not alot to like a game.

He's right though. You can bet people wouldn't give as much shit about it or sell as much if it wasn't packed in with PS4's. It would end up like say Puppeteer which certainly didn't deserve the low sales.

Also I certainly don't like it after playing it. Won't be a part of my PS4 collection even if it was bundled with the system.

greg400

Banned
Again, why the need to downplay Knack just because it outsold Mario? blame Nintendo for creating WiiU they way it is. blame Nintendo for confusing the world with the name. blame Nintendo for creating an overpriced weak system. blame Nintendo for living in 90's mentality and Technology.

Knack sold better than Mario because PS4 is better system than WiiU.

Congratulation Sony for the earth shattering launch of the PS4.
No need to downplay Knack when essentially almost every major gaming publication/site already has and the game is barely averaging a 50 on review collection sites.

Papacheeks

Banned
Again. Apples and oranges. While the expansions are exclusive maps, the base game is still the same. In fact in anything, it proves my point. Because Titanfall is essentally just a bunch of multiplayer map packs, there nothing Microsoft can do if respawn make a bunch of new ones and release on the PS4. Techically its a totally different game.

One thing is for sure. The Titanfall that releases at launch will never be played on PS4. Im just suggesting a year from launch, the Titanfall everyone is playing may so drastically different Microsofts exclusivity agreement might not mean much.

New content like New classes of Mech's that have different weapons and effects I asure you are not done when the game launches. It's almost impossible for the actual added content to be even started at this point. They have with just under 80 people developed a game including conception in less than 2 years.

Battlefield Expansions like Back to Karkland have new vehicles, maps with destruction, weapons, and modes. There's a lot more work in those which don't get worked on till the game is either in Beta or gone gold.

beast786

No need to downplay Knack when essentially almost every major gaming publication/site already has and the game is barely averaging a 50 on review collection sites.

Regardless , for players it seems like its a system seller unlike Mario . All these people buying knack bundles.

;p

greg400

Banned
Regardless , for players it seems like its a system seller unlike Mario . All these people buying knack bundles.

;p
Knack is the kind of launch game that people buy because it's one of the few exclusives. People aren't buying PS4 for Knack, they're buying it for the hardware then getting Knack along with it because fuck it, everything else is either available on the previous generation or Killzone.

Margalis

Banned
Again, why the need to downplay Knack just because it outsold Mario?

I don't think anyone is downplaying Knack - it's just not as good as 3D World. Most games aren't. It's also not as good as Tearaway, and maybe not as good as R&C either, making it the 3rd or 4th best mascot platformer released in this time frame.

The MC user score is 6.5 - that's higher than the 5.5 critic score, but it's not high. It has the lowest critic score and the lowest user score of all the games mentioned above by around 2 points, which is a pretty huge amount given that the normal scale range is from 7-9.

Obviously the game sold better than 3D World in the UK. Pretending that's because the game deserves that for quality reasons is a little far-fetched. And if you're a gamer it doesn't really make sense to celebrate when a mediocre game outperforms much better games.

I'm no fan of Vita but I'd like to see the best Vita games sell well - a marketplace that rewards high quality games is good.

I do find it a bit immature to brag about other consoles and games struggling with sales however. You would think that the people here who are ecstatic about this have never enjoyed a game or console that hasn't sold well before.

I enjoyed the Jaguar immensely, and my favorite console in my 35+ years of gaming is the lowly Gamecube, but I'll happily join in with pointing and laughing at Nintendo and the Wii U. Nintendo screwed up in almost every possible way in its design and rollout, and I hope its failure will change things for the better - though I'm skeptical.

Maybe this has been posted already, but I literally laughed out loud with this. Recorded on Black Friday somewhere, a horde of people running straight past the Xbox One to get to the PS4s

iMYAdMT27HSpq.gif

Not to downplay that amazing gif but that had nothing to do with Black Friday, it was the German PS4 launch. And the Xbone was photoshopped into it (though probably a realistic take on the reaction to the Xbone in Europe).

The bashing of Nintendo fans on this thread is saddening and pathetic.

Nah, what's saddening and pathetic is how much those Nintendo fans emotionally invest in a corporation, to the point of public meltdowns and abusing others when they don't get their way.

Dysun

This thread has been a goldmine between the alr1ght and I'm the one who Knacks gifs.
Not to mention the faithful's reaction to this news.

November NPD thread is going to be fuck awesome

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You know what, about that - I really wish more people would play Knack and Lego Marvel game (85% on metacritic) back to back and report what they think of them - both being kids games and all. I have played Marvel Lego demo last night and it was so boring, mindless, played out and by the numbers, that I can't imagine how horrifically worse Knack must be to score almost half as low on average, if Marvel lego is the kind of game that stands for 85% in the kids games genre. The thing is though, Knack doesn't look that bad or broken in any of the videos I've seen.

Margalis

Banned
You know what, about that - I really wish more people would play Knack and Lego Marvel game (85% on metacritic) back to back and report what they think of them - both being kids games and all.

I think Lego games are super boring but my friend's kids love them.

I have no doubt that Knack is the better game for adults. But for kids Lego is the better game, and adults have better games to play than Knack. Knack doesn't really serve any niche that other games don't serve better.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, what's saddening and pathetic is how much those Nintendo fans emotionally invest in a corporation, to the point of public meltdowns and abusing others when they don't get their way.

And people say Nintendo fans are hypocrites. Were Sony fans any different during the PS3 era?

Stuff like "the better game won" etc. Like polyh3dron's post. I agree that Knack is not shit, those posts are obviously immature. I don't think it was particularly good though. And 3D World was pretty objectively amazing, it's just sad to see such a good game having bad sales be celebrated. Of course it is mainly due to the disaster of a platform it was released on.

Edit: my mistake if he was trolling

Gaming taste will always be subjective.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think Lego games are super boring but my friend's kids love them.

I have no doubt that Knack is the better game for adults. But for kids Lego is the better game, and adults have better games to play than Knack. Knack doesn't really serve any niche that other games don't serve better.
But why do you think it's a better game for kids? Just because it uses two kids friendly licensed properties? Because as a game itself it seems boring and provides no challenge, and from what I've seen, kids get bored with that kind of thing almost as quickly as the adults. In fact, in my experience kids are usually being vastly underestimated with how much they're willing to adapt and master the more difficult games. One of my friends' 6yo favourite games is Wipeout HD for example, and he pretty much celebrates the rare occasion when he ends up amongst the first three spots, but he never gives up playing it.

Gusto

This thread is so f*ucking hilarious because, I own both and knack is no way in the league of Mario 3D world. These gifs are killing me lol. Poor Cerny prob thinks he made a great game, I hope he doesn't write and direct knack 2d world.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
And people say Nintendo fans are hypocrites. Were Sony fans any different during the PS3 era?

I just know that Final Fantasy XIII 360 announcement and Bayonetta 2 Wii U announcement remain the two most embarrassing topics to ever grace NeoGAF, and neither of them are the result of Nintendo fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom