• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Menu/UI video

SPDIF

Can people please stop calling any UI that chucks a load of squares on a screen Metro? It does a huge disservice to the real Metro UI. The real Metro is much more about typography and spacing than anything else.

800px-Microsoft-METRO-UI-Description.svg.png

Wp7_musicvideo.jpg

The PS4 UI, just like the PS store UI is not Metro.

Melchiah

oh man you can choose to download the multiplayer or singleplayer portion of any game you buy first, so you can decide which you'll immediately be able to play first?

That...is amazing

Yeah, I might pass most multiplayer portions altogether, as I don't tend to play them, and I can conserve HDD space by doing so. It's really nice that there's an option.

Yeah, I might pass most multiplayer portions altogether, as I don't tend to play them, and I can conserve HDD space by doing so. It's really nice that there's an option.

I don't know. This might lead to people hoping to be able to purchase one or the other and that's not what the devs want.

Also, this reminds me of the PSN store and no way do I want that.

Melchiah

I don't know. This might lead to people hoping to be able to purchase one or the other and that's not what the devs want.

Also, this reminds me of the PSN store and no way do I want that.

I sure hope it's possible, as the digital purchases and PS+ service have filled my 320GB HDD. So much so, that I've had to pass many of the PS+ games. I imagine filling that 500GB won't take very long, given that the game sizes are likely to increase.

It's not a problem for me to pay for the whole package, I'd just prefer not to download the MP part if I'm not going to have any use for it.

SirCrush

I sure hope it's possible, as the digital purchases and PS+ service have filled my 320GB HDD. So much so, that I've had to pass many of the PS+ games.

Oh man! Download list, bro! Don't waste those free games...put them in queue and download em later! That's half the BEAUTY of PS+!

Too many ! marks. I apologize. But this had to be emphasized properly :p

Melchiah

Oh man! Download list, bro! Don't waste those free games...put them in queue and download em later! That's half the BEAUTY of PS+!

I've added them all to the list, even the Vita games eventhough I don't have one, but they keep coming more fast than I can finish and delete the older ones. :) As a result I have very little space for digital purchases.

Varg

Banned
Appreciate you letting us know this existed. Sent it to a bunch of friends and they absolutely love it. Might have cemented a bunch of preorders.

-NeoTB1-

I think I'll warm up to it. It's nothing mind-blowing, but it's far from bad, too. I feel the same way with most UI's I suppose.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Can people please stop calling any UI that chucks a load of squares on a screen Metro? It does a huge disservice to the real Metro UI. The real Metro is much more about typography and spacing than anything else.

Wp7_musicvideo.jpg

The PS4 UI, just like the PS store UI is not Metro.

It is getting a bit silly, they don't look the same at all from a design principle stand point, Metro wasn't exactly some new itself either, it harks back to typography and graphic design that goes back well on 50+ years. Metro is a great UI, and that MS have been really good about trying to keep their UI across multiple devices similar, but it is not new or original design wise.

It wouldn't be so bad, but every time someone sees some boxes or images laid out in some form of a grid fashion they decide to tell us it is copying Metro.

Synless

Terrible marketing ad aside, I have to see the interface in action by an actual person before I judge this. One thing I don't like is the notifications popping up towards the top middle left of the screen. It's more obtrusive than it currently is on PS3.

It looks a bit messy.

I can't believe I'm interested in the social aspect of the PS4. It looks pretty good and fun. I blame Sarah Greene for that. :(

I like it, but I hope to God we have a variety of built-in themes/colours like PS3, and an ability to make your own themes like on PS3.

What do you guys think of the messaging system? He needs the PSEye to use the motion controls, right? Or maybe it's all in the controller?

Was hoping Sony could find a way to make use of the touchpad

_____

I can't stop replaying the video... the music and the lines are so cheesy and funny, and that stupid laughs and smiles at the end LMAO wtf was that for XD ?

Sony, please turn this into a PS4-exclusive television series (preferably with Josh Schwartz as executive producer). I simply need to know whether or not Will Walker finds true love with Sarah Greene.

OMG yes yes please lol.

Oppo

I think the interface looks a hell of a lot like the current PS3 Store. But less frame-y.

Also, side note: "Metro" is not a thing anymore, MS doesn't call it that.

Xyber

I want a real walkthrough of the UI before I make up my mind. But so far I like it. Looks nice and simple. I hope the switching between apps when you double tap the home button is smooth and fast.

yeah, i'll reemphasize it even. lol You guys don't have to download everything from PS+ to keep it, as long as you're a member, and you put it in your queue, i think you'll be ok. I don't try to play everything though so I usually, start a download, then delete it so it's in my cart and I re-download them whenever I actually want to play it. Played Vanquish because of PS+ and Gravity Rush, AMAZING SERVICE.

Top Bottom