• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Menu/UI video

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
How come no one got a nice detailed video of the UI?
It probably wasn't being shown publicly. I wouldn't expect anything detailed until we get closer to launch and they have a stable, near final build of the UI.

For the PS3, they were very secretive about it and we didn't get a detailed video until someone leaked a walkthrough Phil Harrison did shortly after TGS. They also jumped the gun during some previews of the OS showing things that never made it out or took forever. Like cross game video chat that was shown to devs during GDC and the XMB preview they gave to IGN a month before launch that showed in game XMB on debug units without mentioning retail wouldn't have that feature at launch (took ~18 months : /).

VanWinkle

I expect to see much more of the UI shown during Gamescom and I'm honestly very excited. I love UI's. This ad shows promise, but we still no SO LITTLE, like, is the storecompletely integrated into the UI? I recall one time the head of firmware at Sony was asked in an interview what his favorite feature about the 360 was, and he said he loved how the store was integrated into the OS rather than a separate app. Of course, that's just one little question I have but there's still a lot we don't know. It was also obviously a very controlled demo since it was essentially an advertisement. I want to see real world performance.

Menelaus

Banned
Sarah speaks 3 languages so she can triple the number of hearts she can break.

5WUHBkA.jpg

synce

"Hey man hurry up"
"Dude I'll be with you in a sec"

lmao

I really hope they get rid of that Windows 8 looking nonsense but I love that you can acess the whole OS in-game. Dat GDDR5

Duffyside

Banned
Not sure what thread to post in, but I saw Jeff Gerstmann upload a box art for 1886 on Giant Bomb? Don't see a thread anywhere, but stunned that GAF hasn't picked up on it? It must not be official, or real? Obviously "not final," at least. Still, I like it.

VanWinkle

Not sure what thread to post in, but I saw Jeff Gerstmann upload a box art for 1886 on Giant Bomb? Don't see a thread anywhere, but stunned that GAF hasn't picked up on it? It must not be official, or real? Obviously "not final," at least. Still, I like it.

Yeah that's been on Amazon for a good few days.

tokkun

Can people please stop calling any UI that chucks a load of squares on a screen Metro? It does a huge disservice to the real Metro UI. The real Metro is much more about typography and spacing than anything else.

The PS4 UI, just like the PS store UI is not Metro.

Look at Microsoft's http://www.so.cl and tell me that the PS4 social networking stuff does not look exactly like it.

Iacobellis

It probably wasn't being shown publicly. I wouldn't expect anything detailed until we get closer to launch and they have a stable, near final build of the UI.

For the PS3, they were very secretive about it and we didn't get a detailed video until someone leaked a walkthrough Phil Harrison did shortly after TGS. They also jumped the gun during some previews of the OS showing things that never made it out or took forever. Like cross game video chat that was shown to devs during GDC and the XMB preview they gave to IGN a month before launch that showed in game XMB on debug units without mentioning retail wouldn't have that feature at launch (took ~18 months : /).

If only the PS3 had more RAM... If only.

Crisco

Banned
The OS on the PS3 was a mess at launch and honestly is still pretty crappy. Browsing/playing music and movies is especially bad, and doing anything while in-game is extremely laggy. They really need to nail it out of the gate this time, hopefully they learned some lessons. The new PSN Store is pretty nice (albeit slow) so there is hope.

Some of the next gen box art I've been seeing looks really nice.

btkadams

The OS on the PS3 was a mess at launch and honestly is still pretty crappy. Browsing/playing music and movies is especially bad, and doing anything while in-game is extremely laggy. They really need to nail it out of the gate this time, hopefully they learned some lessons. The new PSN Store is pretty nice (albeit slow) so there is hope.

the weird thing is that the new ps store was fast (well, about as fast as the previous one) for me for the first 2 weeks i had it. then it turned into the slow, unusable mess that it is now. it's almost like the slowness is partly caused by something on sony's end. i could be crazy though. it definitely has me worried about the ps4 version. i mean, really, the internet browser store is slow too. it's not nearly as slow as the ps3 store, but it is on a damn computer. it should be like browsing amazon.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Look at Microsoft's http://www.so.cl and tell me that the PS4 social networking stuff does not look exactly like it.
That's pretty bog-standard design across the board for a number of social networking sites before so.cl started doing it - Pinterest, G+, etc.

Crisco said:
The new PSN Store is pretty nice (albeit slow) so there is hope.
I really disagree with this. It's the worst design so far, IMO.

I expect to see much more of the UI shown during Gamescom and I'm honestly very excited. I love UI's. This ad shows promise, but we still no SO LITTLE, like, is the storecompletely integrated into the UI? I recall one time the head of firmware at Sony was asked in an interview what his favorite feature about the 360 was, and he said he loved how the store was integrated into the OS rather than a separate app. Of course, that's just one little question I have but there's still a lot we don't know. It was also obviously a very controlled demo since it was essentially an advertisement. I want to see real world performance.

I hope everything is intergrated in the UI. It's so much easier that way instead of having to load something up. From the video the store still looks like a separate thing though.

Yeah they have to squeeze everything in with very limited ram available, so it's probably needing to access the HDD a lot when you bring it up mid-game. Beats not having it available at all though.

sunnz

I do like the new PSN store too, looks very good and is easy to find what you want.

Obviously it is very laggy and slow which basically paints an ugly picture of the store, making it look more horrible than it actually is, simple because of how it feels.

netguy503

In the first minute, I watched the death of Gamefaqs.lol

Those videos showing you how to get past a boss will be the death of that website.

what about ps3trophies.org? Can you create a group to share videos in? That would be neat and all I'd ever need anymore. The ps3trophies.org video guide ps4 group. :)

kaiyo

A couple of things I noticed but not sure if it was mention..

It looks like double pressing the PS button goes back to the game.

It also looks like he was flicking the controller to type.

DBT85

That's pretty bog-standard design across the board for a number of social networking sites before so.cl started doing it - Pinterest, G+, etc.

I really disagree with this. It's the worst design so far, IMO.

Nope I like the store, it just needs to be fast. At the moment it's shite.

I use the online one now exclusively

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ibbeo16gg9YtGv.gif

I love how his friend just demands he join a game he hasn't bought yet.

Bro 1: "Dude, spend 60 fucking dollars so you help me win a round of Killzone!"

Bro 2: "Sure thing, Bro."

LOL!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but this is clueless marketing. Yes, you can now do that with the PS4, but it isn't going to happen exactly like that video in the real world.

ibbeo16gg9YtGv.gif

LOL!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but this is clueless marketing. Yes, you can now do that with the PS4, but it isn't going to happen exactly like that video in the real world.

not for the rich, famous and beautiful! I got monies growing on trees here at home!

Raymo

From the video it looks like one tap of the playstation button brings up whatever is the new equivalent of the in game xmb. And then a double tap of the ps button gives you a really quick flip to whatever was the last thing you were doing or last game you were playing.

ibbeo16gg9YtGv.gif

LOL!!!!!!!!

It would have made a much better video if they showed him researching the game on GAF for hours before finally deciding to buy it :p

ibbeo16gg9YtGv.gif

LOL!!!!!!!!

This whole E3 was an exercise of 50 year old marketing guys trying to convince us how cool their stuff is. From the laughable "online chatter" to the portrayal of gamers... it's a parody in itself.
The Division and BF4 being the worst offenders in that regard.

I wonder how honest advertisement would look like. People teabagging, cursing, singing in their mics, waiting for the jet to spawn, racial insults, griefing...

ckohler

I wonder how honest advertisement would look like. People teabagging, cursing, singing in their mics, waiting for the jet to spawn, racial insults, griefing...

You must have some really annoying friends. My friends aren't like that. The video doesn't show people playing against strangers.

ibbeo16gg9YtGv.gif

LOL!!!!!!!!

Maybe he was planning on buying it anyway? Maybe he told that guy he was gonna go home and get it but when he got home he saw this girl Sara Greene he's been swooning over was playing Knack and he wanted to show her he's got a soft side? The guy lives in an abandoned garage, you don't know his life!

ckohler

Maybe he was planning on buying it anyway? Maybe he told that guy he was gonna go home and get it but when he got home he saw this girl Sara Greene he's been swooning over was playing Knack and he wanted to show her he's got a soft side? The guy lives in an abandoned garage, you don't know his life!

Lol. We need to create a backstory for this guy. Sony PS4 UI video fan-fiction.

Pctx

Banned
ibbeo16gg9YtGv.gif

LOL!!!!!!!!

PS4 gamers are rich? Well maybe not, but that is still slick for downloading stuff in the background none the less.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I wonder if being able to download MP vs. SP component separately will actually split the cost of the game as well? That'd be nice...

Nope I like the store, it just needs to be fast. At the moment it's shite.
The organization just seems so obtuse and inordinately complex now. The sluggishness just helps drive home the fact that the organization isn't doing anything to help you find anything quickly.

Top Bottom