• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR sold out within 5 minutes (UK and German amazon store)

Bahlor

Crosspost from other thread as this might be of interest for some. Sorry if it has been said already

@GermanGAF

MediaMarkt and Saturn still have PSVR left for preorder. (If you want it to be delivered... you have to pay right now, if you choose pickup, you can choose "pay on pickup"

Hasney

Not kidding. I was really curious how they reach these conclusions.
Since we are 6 months away I would guess you could just ramp up production to meet up with demand?

Not always. It usually has to be scheduled in way in advance and even then, more production lines might have to be live for a minimum of time so say doubling the amount of the inital shipment could leave them with a warehouse full of unsold stock because they had to keep cranking them out for a year. They're going to be cautious at first.

pfkas

Yeah preordered baby. Picked up a camera too which'll be here tomorrow. What am I going to do with that damn thing for 6 months?

Don't read too much into this. Pre-orders aren't a sign of interest. "Sold out" means nothing if we don't know supply.

There.

Now I just saved this thread a few hundred posts.

PJV3

You can still pre-order on Amazon UK.

Placeholder date is now 31st of October, so normal delivery says November.

I wouldn't look into it too much, it's not even out yet, they don't even have them. They should order whatever they can to meet their demand.

The email confirmation doesn't state any date.
"Delivery date pending. We'll email you as soon as we have a delivery date."

Ah okay.

I thought it might be an initial batch that sold out and now it is Amazon testing the waters.

Yeah preordered baby. Picked up a camera too which'll be here tomorrow. What am I going to do with that damn thing for 6 months?

If the "Live from PlayStation" app is anything to go by; livestream you sitting on the couch drinking cheap vodka while strangers ask to see your genitals.

dose

It was down when this thread went up and was for a little bit. Then it came back up without the October date in the listing. They're likely not guaranteeing release date delivery now.
It says October 31st, as Amazon proabbly don't know the specific date. It's a misleading thread title.

pfkas

from the site:

Note: Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address. We do not currently have a release date for this product. Based on our initial allocation we cannot guarantee release day delivery if you ordered after 11:45 GMT, Wednesday 16 March, 2016. You will be notified via email of the expected delivery date closer to the time

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Not kidding. I was really curious how they reach these conclusions.
Since we are 6 months away I would guess you could just ramp up production to meet up with demand?

"Ramping up production" is hard and very expensive (ask Nintendo, or Apple) and "slowing it down" after that would not work at the snap of a finger: it never gets done before the product reaches the market and they can work out what the average demand will be. If they've done their analysis right than production will catch up with demand pretty fast, a couple of months from launch date (if the product is very successful).

Crosspost from other thread as this might be of interest for some. Sorry if it has been said already

@GermanGAF

MediaMarkt and Saturn still have PSVR left for preorder. (If you want it to be delivered... you have to pay right now, if you choose pickup, you can choose "pay on pickup"
I don't think that's true. You have to pay directly after ordering for the payment options PayPal and Sofortüberweisung. But my card was never charged before shipping, for any preorder i made.

Hasney

It says October 31st, as Amazon proabbly don't know the specific date. It's a misleading thread title.

I mean, it was down for a little bit, that's what we all assumed.

At this point I think Amazon know about as much as we do with the launch.

shanafan

hqdefault.jpg

Mung

Amazon.co.uk says that it can't guarantee release day delivery if you ordered after 11:45 GMT.

Edit: well beaten

Occam

From Amazon.co.uk

"Note: Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address. We do not currently have a release date for this product. Based on our initial allocation we cannot guarantee release day delivery if you ordered after 11:45 GMT, Wednesday 16 March, 2016. You will be notified via email of the expected delivery date closer to the time. This product comes with a UK plug and therefore may not be suitable for use outside of the UK."

Saiyan-Rox

From Amazon.co.uk

"Note: Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address. We do not currently have a release date for this product. Based on our initial allocation we cannot guarantee release day delivery if you ordered after 11:45 GMT, Wednesday 16 March, 2016. You will be notified via email of the expected delivery date closer to the time. This product comes with a UK plug and therefore may not be suitable for use outside of the UK."

Ooooooo I ordered mine at 11:40 I wonder if I made the cut

KORNdoggy

From Amazon.co.uk

lol. i got my order confirmation at 11:44. *whew*

Bahlor

I don't think that's true. You have to pay directly after ordering for the payment options PayPal and Sofortüberweisung. But my card was never charged before shipping, for any preorder i made.

Are you sure about this? Only found people stating otherwise. Didn't want to risk it as we're not talking about ~50 eur.

Correct, though it's remarkable how many more "scalpers" posts you see here in comparison to the similar Vive thread, even though they're in the exact same situation when it comes to scalpers.

Has Vive sold out completely? To be fair, at the Vive price scalping would be super ridiculous.

Coxy100

Banned
Is that coz there was only 100 available?? :)

I love this line from the amazon reviews:

"i have tried this at a demo (i get invited a lot, being an authority in video games) and this is way more comfortable and more fun than its competitors"

Wish amazon wouldn't allow you to review it before it's released...

this is crazy, how can it be sold out and the release date is still October

I guess there is a good chance this will be the big Christmas must-have item. If that happens those pre-orders will be worth their filesize in gold. I Imagine there has been quite a lot of speculative ordering going on from people looking to make a quick profit.

FHIZ

this is crazy, how can it be sold out and the release date is still October

Amazon (or whoever) gets a predictive amount of stock since it's so far out. They sell through the imagined number of units they've been allotted. Close down pre-orders for the time being so they don't have way more orders than they do stock. If their numbers increase between now and release (which is very likely) pre-orders will open up again for how ever much else they are allotted. Same thing with every popular electronic device pre order. Only so many can be made and guaranteed at launch, then split that between a bazillion retailers.

score01

Just pre-ordered mine from ShopTo with Camera. I don't think I really want one but am kind of keeping my options open.

MrS

Banned
I got a ShopTo pre-order for the PSVR and camera for £389.86. I would have preferred Amazon UK, but it can't be helped.
Got it for a tenner less with silver membership perks but I only preordered like 20 minutes ago so I doubt I'll get it day 1.

Hmm interesting strategy from Sony. Open up preorders in uk and Germany. Ensure a sellout fast situation by limiting supply. Let the news pick up it sold out in minutes. The open up preorders in USA and watch the sales skyrocket.

SerTapTap

I have a feeling the underestimated...considering it's like 7 months before release will they have time to up production or are they probably already set for potential launch numbers?

Playroom is alright for an evening, Octodad supports it (with a move controller), and the voice commands are kinda alright. "Playstation, capture gallery" has been very useful for me since I take lots of pictures and then share/export them later. Other thn that it's mostly just streaming I think.

Sportsfriends uses Move but doesn't actually need the PS Camera I think

Hmm interesting strategy from Sony. Open up preorders in uk and Germany. Ensure a sellout fast situation by limiting supply. Let the news pick up it sold out in minutes. The open up preorders in USA and watch the sales skyrocket.

This is Sony not Microsoft. I doubt they'd deliberately sabotage launch in any one market just for US. Their sales are a lot more even then MS(and I doubt that's a good strategy anyway)

Top Bottom