• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racism in Tennis and advertising - Back of the "bus" for Serena!

Status
Not open for further replies.
aduPAfP.jpg

Everyone calm down.
Based fucking Kygrios ain't got any time for #hoverhand

Neogaf, I see a LOT of threads about racism on this site. It's become apparent now, at least to me, that people are projecting their own insecurities.

Of course there is racism and it should be dealt with and exposed. But some of you need stop attaching your own anger and frustration on to every little thing. Stop immediately presuming racism.

I agree that this particular example is a bit of a laugher, but what are all of these examples you are seeing where racial elements are getting exaggerated? A lot of the criticism I see on this site is very much warranted.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Moff

Probably more ranked by how much money those athletes bring in to Nike. Agassiz, Federer, and McEnroe probably generated more than the rest of them combined. You can argue sexism within that context though

it definitely is more about sexism than racism, I agree with that, although I would have to add that I am probably not as sensitive about racism as someone from the US.
however "being more marketable" is not an excuse for this, if anything, it just takes the discussion one step further. why are male athletes more marketable the more successfull they are? and female athletes more marketable the more attractive they are?

I am not even blaming nike, they obviously do what brings in the most money, but if there are a woman and a man in the center of an ad, and the guy is nikes most successfull player and the girl is nikes most attractive player you just immediately see the sexism. that's just how I feel about that.

Mimosa97

Bouchard has no place in this line-up. She's everywhere here in Canada. " OMG A BLOND WOMAN WHO CAN HIT A TENNIS BALL QUICK QUICK START FILMING AND LET'S PUT HER ON EVERY BILLBOARD ".

Fuck this.

Seeing everything through race card glasses.

I see Nike trying to get reps from several countries. Male and female. Current and past stars. It's a pretty diverse crowd. They're trying to sell product, not just sign the current top ten.

Generally find people who throw up the term "race card" use it to camouflage their own bollocks.

Maybe if it was the only picture and advertised front and center you would have a point. She does deserve to be at the very forefront though compared to Bouchard. . . And I like Eugenie.

LuuKyK

Bouchard has no place in this line-up. She's everywhere here in Canada. " OMG A BLOND WOMAN WHO CAN HIT A TENNIS BALL QUICK QUICK START FILMING AND LET'S PUT HER ON EVERY BILLBOARD ".

Fuck this.

Yeah, a girl who at 20 yo reached a slam final, two SFs and a QF in one year is ONLY a blond woman who can hit a tennis ball.

Give me a break.

I eliminated racism for OP's sake

v2OeRHM.jpg

lol

JDSN

Banned
I had no idea the MCenroe was a tennis player, just a funny guy that was in the Seven Days in Hell movie.

Yeah, a girl who at 20 yo reached a slam final, two SFs and a QF in one year is ONLY a blond woman who can hit a tennis ball.

Give me a break.
Bouchard has been in straight up career melt down mode since the start of the year. She's not playing at a top 100, probably even top 200 level.

Parch

Probably more ranked by how much money those athletes bring in to Nike. Agassiz, Federer, and McEnroe probably generated more than the rest of them combined. You can argue sexism within that context though
Yeah. Nike's bottom line is what's important to them. They want marketable people. That's how Kournikova had more marketing success than tennis success.

Is there anywhere that shows just how much Nike is paying these people for endorsement deals?

Bouchard probably signed a Nike deal when she was the rising star. Nike didn't think she would fall off the tennis cliff. Now she's on the Kournikova level of crap player getting decent endorsement money.

3rd on all-time list of Consecutive Weeks at #1 and soon 3rd on the all-time list at #1

gAMe54e.png

Yeah she doesn't nearly get enough love. Like, she should be at the front and all the others lined up behind the car.

3rd on all-time list of Consecutive Weeks at #1 and soon 3rd on the all-time list at #1

Yeah she doesn't nearly get enough love. Like, she should be at the front and all the others lined up behind the car.

Looking at that list, what the hell happened to Venus Williams? I remember a point where she was way better than Serena and then she just disappeared. The list says she's still active, but it feels like I haven't heard of her playing in decades.

If Serena was white Sharapova wouldn't even be in this photoshoot.

It's pretty damning when the unarguably better player plays second fiddle to the person she beat 17 times in a row for a photoshoot/advertisement campaign.

Why is it so hard to understand that Sharapova is just more business savvy and marketable than Serena? This has nothing to do with race at all. Sharapova just resonates more with the public than Serena.

Looking at that list, what the hell happened to Venus Williams? I remember a point where she was way better than Serena and then she just disappeared. The list says she's still active, but it feels like I haven't heard of her playing in decades.

Then you haven't been paying attention. She made a pretty deep Wimbledon run last month, but was beaten by the eventual champion Serena Williams

royalan

A few years ago Venus was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder similar to lupus. She's getting it treated, and like the champion she is she still plays, but it's sucked a lot out of her game. :(

clemenx

Banned
Off topic in this thread but Woz having 67 fucking weeks it's an embarasment fpr the sport. That era should be erased and forgotten by everyone. Thank god she never lucked a slam.

Parch

According to Forbes the top money earners (winnings + endorsements) in tennis are...
1. Federer
2. Sharapova
3. Djokovic
4. Nadal
5. S. Williams

Interesting that the top 10 are from 10 different countries. When Kei Nishikori is in the top 10, you know that international endorsement money is a big part of tennis..

Jenov

Serena already gave the best answer about this issue. Way better than what anyone has said about it

She was asked about Sharapova being more "marketable" than her even though she has the more successful carreer.

CNgJHJqWEAErh1l.jpg

wow nice response. + respect

Finaika

Why is it so hard to understand that Sharapova is just more business savvy and marketable than Serena? This has nothing to do with race at all. Sharapova just resonates more with the public than Serena.

Serena was awesome in Pixels though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom