• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racism in Tennis and advertising - Back of the "bus" for Serena!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serena already gave the best answer about this issue. Way better than what anyone has said about it

She was asked about Sharapova being more "marketable" than her even though she has the more successful carreer.

CNgJHJqWEAErh1l.jpg

Wow, I don't care for the whole tennis circus, but this women sounds like an incredible human being.

Humidex

Yeah, a girl who at 20 yo reached a slam final, two SFs and a QF in one year is ONLY a blond woman who can hit a tennis ball.

Give me a break.

lol

A one season wonder unless she realizes that there's more to tennis than hitting the ball really, really hard...her game plan to me has been 'found out' this year.

The incessant instagramming can't have helped either.

did anyone point out that all the people in the front of the picture have mic headsets and all the ones in the back including Serena don't? So couldn't it just be a case of them putting all the people actually speaking or doing something at the event in the front?

I can't stand it when people are actively looking for shit to complain about.
Or at least it feels like that to me. Maybe i'm just naieve..
I doubt these athletes are racist.

She is the best though. So maybe the focus should be more on her?
I could understand that.

Too bad Sampras lost his arm.

LuuKyK

When people say such things as: "I swear to God I'll fucking take the ball and shove it down your fucking throat." to a line-judge, it makes advertisers nervous.

she's pretty good when she's not blaming rape victims or harassing line women.

Yeah, her attitude in general is certainly very ... questionable. Kinda takes away the focus from all the talent she has.

Enzom21

Why is it so hard to understand that Sharapova is just more business savvy and marketable than Serena? This has nothing to do with race at all. Sharapova just resonates more with the public than Serena.
This along with your posts about Boyega not looking like a Jedi are pretty telling.
Hahahhahaahhahaahhahhahahaahhahahaha.
Not really surprising, he thinks Andrew Garfield is more Jedi like than Boyega.

This along with your posts about Boyega not looking like a Jedi are pretty telling.

Telling of what? This phrase is used a lot in race threads. What does it even mean?

I only know two of those people: Serena and Sharapova. Serena was on the Simpsons and Sharapova is in all those god damn commercials about shoes or deodorant. I can't tell 'cause I'm really just watching a beautiful gal in a skirt.

Edit: Is it me or does Bouchard have black legs?

andthebeatgoeson

When people say such things as: "I swear to God I'll fucking take the ball and shove it down your fucking throat." to a line-judge, it makes advertisers nervous.

And McEnroe still makes commercials because of what now? Because he badgered umpires in another zone compared to Serena.

BadAss2961

Why is it so hard to understand that Sharapova is just more business savvy and marketable than Serena? This has nothing to do with race at all. Sharapova just resonates more with the public than Serena.
This is sarcasm, right? Imagine where the two of them would be if you just swapped the bodies... Venus is more accomplished than her too. Even has a similar build, but could never be as marketable.

Racism or not, there's clearly a bias.

And McEnroe still makes commercials because of what now? Because he badgered umpires in another zone compared to Serena.

i already posted in the last thread that McEnroe is a cheating douche and i would fully support a massive ban if he would play today, just like i support a Kyrgios ban and repercussions for Nadal for doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOY1scQtjZA and then blacklist him.
i'm fully aware that Serena suffers from both racism and sexism, there's no denying that.
i don't think i'm either of the two but i still don't like her at all.

xbhaskarx

If anything this picture looks more sexist than racist, why are there so many retired men (Agassi, McEnroe, Sampras) but not top retired women like Navratilova, Evert, Graf, Seles...?

I will save the day as usual:
ehqClvR.jpg

I haven't even heard of four of these people... Keys, Kyrgios, Dimitrov, Bouchard... although that probably says more about when I last paid attention to tennis.

Glass Joe

This is sarcasm, right? Imagine where the two of them would be if you just swapped the bodies... Venus is more accomplished than her too. Even has a similar build, but could never be as marketable.

Sharapova just happens to be really pretty. It's not a race thing.

[Off topic]To answer your Boyega dig - you haven't seen the film and yet you are crowning the guy. Whether I like Garfield better is my opinion. Wait until the movie is out before proclaiming that Boyega's the best thing since sliced bread. Hype over this movie has reached insane levels. [/Off topic]

Why do you think that is...?

Very simple. Sharapova is a classier winner than Serena. She shrieks but that's about it. She is honorable in both victory and defeat. Serena yelling and threatening umpires, telling the crowd to STFU at Wimbledon, always moaning, crying when things don't go her way, etc. That puts a lot of people off.

And yes, Sharapova is very attractive. Nothing against Serena but Sharapova has the looks, the talents and class and at the end of the day, that's what will sell shoes, cars, cameras, etc.

Also, people may also be put off by the Williamses because their game has no grace (compared to previous champions). It's all about baseline ball bashing and powerful serves.

scarlet

Very simple. Sharapova is a classier winner than Serena. She shrieks but that's about it. She is honorable in both victory and defeat. Serena yelling and threatening umpires, telling the crowd to STFU at Wimbledon, always moaning, crying when things don't go her way, etc. That puts a lot of people off.

Also, people may also be put off by the Williamses because their game has no grace (compared to previous champions). It's all about baseline ball bashing and powerful serves.

Always?

Ball bashing?

Always?

Ball bashing?

Have you seen Wimbledon and Roland Garros? She was whining and moaning pretty much every game that she did not get. Either something was off with her or she's become entitled because she's on a hot streak.

Williams hit balls stronger than anyone and that's how they came to dominate women's tennis. They hit aces like no others and they have very powerful strokes. Serena isn't a technically sound player but she's got power and surprisingly good accuracy.

Ball bashing is basically hitting as hard a you can from the baseline. The most prevalent game now in women's tennis thanks to the Williamses.

scarlet

Have you seen Wimbledon and Roland Garros? She was whining and moaning pretty much every game that she did not get. Either something was off with her or she's become entitled because she's on a hot streak.

Williams hit balls stronger than anyone and that's how they came to dominate women's tennis. They hit aces like no others and they have very powerful strokes. Serena isn't a technically sound player but she's got power and surprisingly good accuracy.

Have you seen Wimbledon and Roland Garros?

Many players did the same thing. Even the guys.

Many WTA players could hit as hard as her, and if you watch RG and Wimbledon, you know her serve isn't as good as it was anymore..

Parch

When Navratilova was dominant, Chris Evert still got significantly more endorsement deals. Attractiveness, style of play, popularity. It's all part of marketability in women's tennis.

Yeah, that's all it is, hitting balls harder. Way to downplay the skills of one of the greatest woman tennis players ever. Sharapova is C-tier next to her. (and that horrible, never-ending shrieking...)

Her ball bashing games and powerful strokes like.. Serena?

But she doesn't shriek, complain, whine, etc. Her only misstep was to not shake someone's hand post-match or something.

Right now she is playing like shit, but she only needs one slam to pretty outearn everyone. Just like Na Li a few years back.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/most_marketable/50_most_marketable_2015_eugenie_bouchard

She was ranked as the most marketable athlete this year, though. If she can regain her game, she will probably outearn Serena and perhaps Sharapova very quickly. Look at the sponsors she was able to get out of a single tournament.
I doubt any female athlete is going to outearn Sharapova as long as she is playing. She's been the highest earning female athlete since 2004. That combination of "marketability", business savvy, and long term excellence is hard to come by.

Glass Joe

So is Venus and yet...

Are you implying racism when I say I find Sharapova more attractive than Williams? Spare me.

Williams is pretty but she looks like an athlete that can model.
Sharapova looks like a model who is an athlete.
Talent + beauty opens up more marketing opportunities in our society. It may be unjust but Britney Spears didn't become a mega star on vocal talent alone. Plenty of pretty people with better voices are out there that we've never heard of. Deal with it and don't play the race card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom