• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
There are some things that change based on the selected race, actually. Don't know about gender or fate selection.

Well, at least that. Right now I just keep getting annoyed with people insulting Almar WHEN I AM ONE.

I'm not a gluten for punishment, so I rarely turn up the difficulty, but I never turn it down. I like to play my games as the developer intended them to be.

I would figure if there are difficulty settings then the developers intended them to be played according to the skill level of the person. :eek:

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not a gluten for punishment, so I rarely turn up the difficulty, but I never turn it down. I like to play my games as the developer intended them to be.
hahahah omg gluten for punishment

I was so enthralled with this concept that I was immediately hopeful someone had made a visual pun of it; this is the best I could find.
cXTKVl.jpg

Well, at least that. Right now I just keep getting annoyed with people insulting Almar WHEN I AM ONE.

I believe the drunk fateweaver said to my partner's Dorkalfer "present company excepted, of course" after he had said they were untrustworthy, which my human didn't get.

Hmm....to have my pic taken with a few media guests at a comic book convention, or to not have my pick taken with a few media guests at a comic book convention?

I'll think about it

Zomba13

I went through a phase where I'd start every new game on the hardest because it'd take longer to finish (thus giving me the feeling of the purchase being more worth it) and because there are usually cheevos or trophies. I've gone back to just playing on default and bumping the difficulty up on subsequent playthroughs if I like the game enough (like Bayonetta). I still go into Halo games on Legendary though. Halo Anniversary seems a lot harder on Legendary than PC Halo on Legendary though :(

I just keep things at default now unless the default is the lowest setting and recommended for beginners to the genre or something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I went through a phase where I'd start every new game on the hardest because it'd take longer to finish (thus giving me the feeling of the purchase being more worth it) and because there are usually cheevos or trophies. I've gone back to just playing on default and bumping the difficulty up on subsequent playthroughs if I like the game enough (like Bayonetta). I still go into Halo games on Legendary though. Halo Anniversary seems a lot harder on Legendary than PC Halo on Legendary though :(

I just keep things at default now unless the default is the lowest setting and recommended for beginners to the genre or something.
Bayonetta has the most brilliant difficulty scheme I have ever seen in a game.

There's a "mommy, play for me" option if you just, you know, suck, and don't really care about getting good. Then there's Easy, if Normal proves too difficult for you on first playthrough, and Normal available out of the gate. The higher difficulty options unlock one by one as you beat the game on the preceding one. While this seems at first like sort of a cheap extension of game time, each ramp up in difficulty really allows you to gradually improve to the point where returning to a previous difficulty after completing the game on NSIC makes you feel like a god.

Where's this coming from? I mean I kind of agree... just wondering.
This thread. Not that I'm taking any sides here, it just made me think of it.

No, nationalism is dumb. Saying "My country is better than the other ones" is nationalism. Saying "I love my country and want to help make it as cool as possible" is patriotism. The latter is an awesome thing that more people should subscribe to.

Edit: The distinction is actually muddier than the strict divide that I describe above. My comments are rather biased and pretend that the English language are easy to work with. Go America!

I always think of patriotism as being proud of your country. And I don't understand how someone can be proud of something that they really didn't do that much to create. I mean, it'd make sense if the leader of the country was proud of how he was running it or something, but just a random citizen? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I always think of patriotism as being proud of your country. And I don't understand how someone can be proud of something that they really didn't do that much to create. I mean, it'd make sense if the leader of the country was proud of how he was running it or something, but just a random citizen? Doesn't make any sense to me.
That's a little silly in a democracy. A random citizen has an implied duty to directly participate in the ongoing running of the country, even directly deciding on whether legislation should pass or not sometimes.. The people are (or should be) the most important aspect of the running of a country, and this concept instills pride in me deeply even if in execution I am disappointed with the path my country takes.

pride
[prahyd]   Example Sentences Origin
pride
   [prahyd] Show IPA noun, verb, prid·ed, prid·ing.
noun
a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.
the state or feeling of being proud.
a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect; self-esteem.
pleasure or satisfaction taken in something done by or belonging to oneself or believed to reflect credit upon oneself: civic pride.

You're taking #4 as the only definition of pride. Either #1 or #3 would fit the "pride in my home country" type of patriotism. Someone's nationality is part of their identity, too.

That's a little silly in a democracy. A random citizen has an implied duty to directly participate in the ongoing running of the country, even directly deciding on whether legislation should pass or not sometimes.. The people are (or should be) the most important aspect of the running of a country, and this concept instills pride in me deeply even if in execution I am disappointed with the path my country takes.

You're taking #4 as the only definition of pride. Either #1 or #3 would fit the "pride in my home country" type of patriotism. Someone's nationality is part of their identity, too.

...that makes more sense.

In other news, THROWING STUFF are still hilarious, Gnarwolves are still awesome, chafing is still horrible and Deus Rex might have a gig.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I despise that practice so much that it's really influencing my desire to play the game. The way it impacts singleplayer is so bizarrely inexcusable.

Emitan

I despise that practice so much that it's really influencing my desire to play the game. The way it impacts singleplayer is so bizarrely inexcusable.

Only non-MMO online only game I've bought is Trackmania 2. Never buying an online only game without cracks again.

Trackmania 2 is so good I don't even care I broke my moral values for it

RawPower

Banned
Yeah, I'm pretty angry now.

Nintendo won't repair my Wii because they found out that I put Homebrew on it, even though I deleted it before sending it to them. They said that I now have to buy a new one. I will most certainly do that, but you can be damn sure it will be a used system. Fuck, I am so god damn pissed.

Emitan

Nintendo won't repair my Wii because they found out that I put Homebrew on it, even though I deleted it before sending it to them. They said that I now have to buy a new one. I will most certainly do that, but you can be damn sure it will be a used system. Fuck, I am so god damn pissed.
Why didn't you just say that you didn't?

Only have one thing to say: LOL!

I built a rock sifter for my garden. Just four ~2" planks of wood made in into a rectangle and chicken wire nailed to the bottom. I dump quarry into it, and soil comes out! It's starting to actually look like a (not yet planted) garden, finally! :D

Also, I need to buy a kilt. Irish-style. Trying to get one that isn't bank breaking but isn't a "thrifty" kilt. Any suggestions? Other than taking a trip to Ireland. That's be a bit on the bank breaking side. :p

…for when I walk around on stilts at Burns; I want to see if the ladies are "curious" about certain kilt-wearing habits.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Jason!

I might play tomorrow. Probably. But I'm nervous to play with you guys because I lack skills and will probably just hold you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom