• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-Gaf Community |OT2| Sponsored by Leadbelly the Impaler

Pau

:lol I have Pokemon on the brain in a big, bad way right now. What kind of jobs are you applying for?

but forreal, take this Chespin!
Sure, want anything for it in particular? I've got Y but I'm still pretty early in the game.

Last post was 2 weeks ago? By me?

For shame.

I am bored at work. I need help but everyone's busy because one of the sites died completely earlier.

In other news, HOLY SHIT MARVEL AND NETFLIX. HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

.la1n

Ah, I don't go to OT as much as I used to so I missed that. Great news, nice to see something being done with Daredevil so soon since it reverted back to Marvel/Disney.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Omg my new bf has a fissured tongue. I'm gonna hate salsa shark forever more for notifying me to their existence. I see them everywhere D:

NO I'M JUST HOLDING DOWN SHIFT FOR EMPHASIS.

I think I'm the only person in existence who primarily uses right-shift.

You left-shift people are WEIRD.

I...

nathan_fillion_er_nevermind.gif

This seems relevant.

Look, I was trying to fix a bug that makes absolutely no sense at all. I was going a bit insane.

The database is missing a required parent record. However, the way the main record was added had the parent and not the child. The only way of editing the record through an interface keeps the parent record. Literally the ONLY way the child record can be there without the parent is if you manually delete it from the database, but there is absolutely no reason that anyone would do that. So yeah. WHAT.

Literally the ONLY way the child record can be there without the parent is if you manually delete it from the database, but there is absolutely no reason that anyone would do that. So yeah. WHAT.

It's a shame we don't have anything besides capitals to use for emphasis.

As for the database shenanigans, given that the event happened, looking for causes is worthwhile. Assuming you have proper key constraints (can't delete a parent while a child references it), someone was probably monkeying with it. If you don't have those key constraints, it could be some application code bailing between the relevant queries that had it continued execution would have left a sane result.

I had someone claim a database problem earlier in the week, but the problem was the result of someone else doing a physical copy paste job (like paper, scissors, tape, and a photocopier) to prop up a pointless lie.

Oh christ that rabbit hole went DEEP. In trying to just repair them without finding out how it happened, we discovered that a whole load of things had the wrong parent. I now have a script that should fix it all. But godfuckingdamn am I exhausted.

It's a shame we don't have anything besides capitals to use for emphasis.

As for the database shenanigans, given that the event happened, looking for causes is worthwhile. Assuming you have proper key constraints (can't delete a parent while a child references it), someone was probably monkeying with it. If you don't have those key constraints, it could be some application code bailing between the relevant queries that had it continued execution would have left a sane result.

I had someone claim a database problem earlier in the week, but the problem was the result of someone else doing a physical copy paste job (like paper, scissors, tape, and a photocopier) to prop up a pointless lie.

I like capitals ok :C

...I was going to try to explain in a bit more detail but my brain is fucking gone. Slacking off for the next 15 minutes seems likely.

On a separate note, there is a Calvinball song with lyrics from the Dawson's Creek theme in.

And it's awesome.

.la1n

Is anyone picking up an Xbone or already picked up a PS4?

I decided to forgo both and picked up a Vita instead :p

Good man, now get on that Persona 4 Golden action. Gravity Daze / Uncharted are still available as freebies under PS+.

I can't justify the price of an XBO / PS4 right now for what games are available.

Acid08

Banned
XB180 and FM5.

Nice, Forza looks really good! GT6 is soon too, that's hopefully going to be great.

Good man, now get on that Persona 4 Golden action. Gravity Daze / Uncharted are still available as freebies under PS+.

Yeah man I'm sick right now so I've just been laying in bed playing P4G, so good. I'm really surprised at how much better most of the graphics look. It's really just the character models that still look dated and everything else is super gorgeous. Not a fan of the new chick though.

PS+ also has Hotline Miami right now which is fucking incredible!

.la1n

Nice, Forza looks really good! GT6 is soon too, that's hopefully going to be great.

Yeah man I'm sick right now so I've just been laying in bed playing P4G, so good. I'm really surprised at how much better most of the graphics look. It's really just the character models that still look dated and everything else is super gorgeous. Not a fan of the new chick though.

PS+ also has Hotline Miami right now which is fucking incredible!

Haven't played much into Hotline Miami but I like what I have played so far and the soundtrack is pretty damn amazing.

ZeroRay

Hotline Miami was my GOTY last year.

Tried playing with a 360 controller, and it felt all kinds of wrong. Will still double dip on PS3 whenever it comes down to $5.

Acid08

Banned
Hotline Miami was my GOTY last year.

Tried playing with a 360 controller, and it felt all kinds of wrong. Will still double dip on PS3 whenever it comes down to $5.
I really like it on the Vita. Controls feel great and the colors look brilliant on the OLED.

Aim_Ed

After reading both OTs I have no idea what this thread is about, but I kinda sense that we're trying to connect the entire GAF community in a friendly environment?

If that's the case then let's revive this bad boy. I'd hate to see a thread like this fade away.

.la1n

After reading both OTs I have no idea what this thread is about, but I kinda sense that we're trying to connect the entire GAF community in a friendly environment?

If that's the case then let's revive this bad boy. I'd hate to see a thread like this fade away.

In January users would change their avatar to real pictures of themselves and we'd chat about random things. That's about the extent of it. We kept this thread going because a lot of us became friends and enjoyed continuing to chat after January was over. Not sure if we are going to have a RPJanuary 2014 or not.

Davedough

Welcome back!

This thread reminded me of you.

Very similar although a different type of hearing loss and a different type of hearing solution =)

We needed you obviously.

And I need you. Yes... you. What are you doing this weekend? Maybe... we could... you know... meet up somewhere. No homo.
All Homo

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE

I've been wanting to talk comic books with you. I just recently started getting back into them and have been diving through a good portion of the New 52 and then other titles like Saga. There are a lot of good books out these days.

Acid08

Banned
I've been wanting to talk comic books with you. I just recently started getting back into them and have been diving through a good portion of the New 52 and then other titles like Saga. There are a lot of good books out these days.
Saga is so good. And yeah comics are great right now, Image is killin' it. DC and Marvel are kinda doing what they always do but creator owned stuff is amazing now. Saga, Chew, Invincible, East of West, Manhattan Projects, TMNT, and Prophet are some of my favorites going. Chew especially is amazing. I got Acrid turned on to it and he loves it. Everyone buy it!

New 52 Swamp Thing is pretty damn great.
I've heard good things. It crosses over with Animal Man for a long time and people seemed kinda meh on that whole thing. Scott Snyder is also writing a Vertigo mini called The Wake that's really good. There's a new Sandman series going on right now too, haven't read it since I haven't finished Sandman proper yet. JH Williams III does the art.

I haven't read a comic in ages. :(

There's a book called Rat Queens out that's pretty fun! It follows this group of four lady warriors and takes place in a western RPG type of world. Snappy dialogue and gorgeous art! Brubaker has a new series called Velvet out which is an espionage tale with Steve Epting. It's pretty great so far.

If anyone is into noire/superheros you could try out The Black Beetle, it's written and drawn by Francesco Francavilla. It's super gorgeous and the whole mini is out in a hardcover now.

.la1n

Wait, there are new TMNT comics and they are good? I feel like I have been trapped in a bubble. Where do I obtain these and what do I need to be looking for as a jumping in point?

Top Bottom