• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

goonergaz

supermackem said:
Ive never heard my slim go above normal never mind phase three thats after hours and hours play and i sit more or less on top of it.

it's OK - the fans only ramp up to phase 3 if you are an Xbot fanboi to make you feel at home lol

Reikon

SamBa said:
What's wrong with MGS4? That they opted for 768p (1024x768)? That's the native resolution of older CRT HDTVs and many currently sold Plasma based HDTVs. Probably quite common in Japan.

Except the pixels aren't square in 1024x768 plasma TVs. The TV wouldn't map a 1024x768 source 1:1 unless you want some weird stretched out picture.

SamBa said:
What's wrong with MGS4? That they opted for 768p (1024x768)? That's the native resolution of older CRT HDTVs and many currently sold Plasma based HDTVs. Probably quite common in Japan.
...wow, just wow.
:lol

CozMick said:
I hate you, and is the bolded for real? :lol
no the beginning. the textures look like shit. it's like when you watch Unreal engine streaming the texture but stops half way. :lol.

well at least with Samsung's "Game Mode" on it cleared some of the jaggies away. good think. now to fix the rest of the game through the tv setting.

Esteban

Banned
godhandiscen said:
What am I supposed to be seeing in the banners? They look the same. Both versions look the same. B3D has access to two different PS3 screens.

imv3o7.jpg

and
2q1yu1j.jpg

The textures look fine on both of them. Anyway, both versions look good. I doubt there will be any meltdown here.

Looks beautiful indeed. I don't see what the problem is with the PS3 version.

goonergaz

DMPrince said:
no the beginning. the textures look like shit. it's like when you watch Unreal engine streaming the texture but stops half way. :lol.

well at least with Samsung's "Game Mode" on it cleared some of the jaggies away. good think. now to fix the rest of the game through the tv setting.

don't forget to swotch on super white mode ;)

NHale said:
I thought this was a "RDR comparison" thread not a "X360 vs PS3 fanboy" thread. My mistake.

Comparison threads are 95% fanboy bickering, 5% useful information, always. It's the reason so many want it separated from the official thread. This thread went down pretty much as I expected.

iNvid02

jesus christ, whats wrong with you.

the facts are the frame rate, loading times and res are in
360's favour. if you have a 360 go dance.

the ps3 version looks just as good, i doubt anyone
in this thread will see a huge difference.

just enjoy the game

Why is resolution so critical when the game looks as good as it does? I just don't get it. Do you guys have 120inch projectors to care? I don't think these threads have any purpose in gaming forums to be honest

OSHAN

Glad to hear the differences are minute. I have the PS3 version waiting on my doorstep; I just need to push through work.

Meus Renaissance said:
Why is resolution so critical when the game looks as good as it does? I just don't get it. Do you guys have 120inch projectors to care?

Sub HD resolutions are rather noticeable. They aren't deal breakers but it's certainly something you'll notice. The clarity you get from HD resolutions are a huge plus.

cgcg

Yea I thought judging from the FF13 and Alan Wake threads everyone plays games on SDTVs. So what's the deal with the resolution talk?

SolidSnakex said:
Sub HD resolutions are rather noticeable. They aren't deal breakers but it's certainly something you'll notice. The clarity you get from HD resolutions are a huge plus.

To be honest I haven't noticed and I play a lot. The only graphical issue I have problem with are jaggies, which I'm sorry to say but are ample here

But at least it isn't bad as e.g. PGR3

Verapamil

Banned
iNvidious01 said:

just enjoy the game

Thank you good sir for a succinct summation.

Verapamil

Banned
OSHAN said:
Glad to hear the differences are minute. I have the PS3 version waiting on my doorstep; I just need to push through work.

You don't look like you feel well, you should probably go home early and drink plenty of fluids and rest in a darkened room with your feet up.

goonergaz said:
1) silent? LMAO
2) you still need to load the disk up each time...that's where the scratches happen
3) yes, when you have several kids who play online and each would require an account

1. yeap silent. 1 got now 1 80 GB MGS4 edition, 1 brand new slim, and 1 jasper xbox.

even at night both 3 are perform produce same level of noise.

2. I just checked some old disks. few are 2 year old. where should I look for those scratches ?

3. I and my kid have 1 account and 2.8$ month NP at all.

OSHAN

Verapamil said:
You don't look like you feel well, you should probably go home early and drink plenty of fluids and rest in a darkened room with your feet up.

Really? You think? You may be right...

belvedere

Junior Butler
What's ironic is that the majority of reviews claimed the PS3 version had the advantage in image quality, mostly because of it's colors and the fact that the lower resolution helped hide aliasing.

I guess I'll have to wait and get my hands on it but from the caps so far, they both look really aliased.

enkeixpress said:
... Are you insane?

There's no way in hell a Xbox 360 is more quiet than a PS3 slim.. Hell no.

not more or less quiet, for me it pretty same. I very demanding in that direction and take close inspection when sound levels increase a bit. Maybe I'm lucky but my 2 PS3 and XBOX sound levels are more or less same.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:

Hell I can barely stand 720p on consoles when I'm used to 1080p on PC games. Sub720p is just...ugh. Those PS3 RDR screens look "acceptable" there, but imagine them stretched to full-screen on your TV.

The only sub-HD game I own is MGS4. I'd rather not buy another one.

belvedere said:
What's ironic is that the majority of reviews claimed the PS3 version had the advantage in image quality, mostly because of it's colors and the fact that the lower resolution helped hide aliasing.

It's become pretty obvious that reviewers can't judge a games resolution just by looking at it. GTA4 and FFXIII made that clear. So you should never assume that they're right with their comparisons.

NinjaBoiX

Esteban said:
It's not very scientific in my opinion. They're going very fast on PS3 advantages and a lot slower on 360 strong points.

Still, they admit "There are also improvements in texture streaming as you navigate around Liberty City" (in PS3 version).
That's because there were no advantages apart from draw distance. I imagine it went something like this, "however, the PlayStation 3 version does have a superior draw distance". There are only so many ways you can structure that statement. DF are impartial case closed. And they also have some of the most "scientific" capturing tech on the net. I get it, you love the PlayStation, but dude, look behind the curtain, it ain't that scary.....

LosDaddie

Banned
Game looks great and I doubt the vast majority on GAF would be able to tell the difference between the 2 versions.

NHale said:
I thought this was a "RDR comparison" thread not a "X360 vs PS3 fanboy" thread. My mistake.

You're a Junior. So yes, it actually is your mistake for thinking this thread would be anything else. :lol

Wazzim

Banned
belvedere said:

I guess I'll have to wait and get my hands on it but from the caps so far, they both look really aliased.
Lower res. is better for aliasing? Who claimed that? :lol :lol

Esteban

Banned
... and you love your 360, but dude, look behind the curtain, it ain't that scary...

There was nothing scientific about that analysis. It's not a GTA4 thread anyway.

Jtones

Banned
All that I know is that there wasn't a major difference between the 360 and ps3 versions of GTA IV anyway. Stop whining.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Wazzim said:

The lower res combined with the AA method used in the PS3 version produced a softer look.

I was referring to GTA IV btw, my bad.

BurritoBushido said:
Is there a conclusion yet I am tired and I don't want to read this thread.
same for me.

The official thread made me want to buy the game and this one makes me not wanting to buy the game anymore -_-

If this is like most of comparison thread (system war) then just tell me and I'll go flip a coin to decide.

Edit : thx Rstein

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Wazzim said:

well, if you smear vaseline all over the image it does appear to have better aliasing :lol

In all seriousness, for those looking for a "conclusion" of sorts, it's this: yes, the 360 version is a touch better. Anyone who has been paying attention for the last 3 years should have expected this.

Does it matter?

Hell no. The PS3 version is fine. It plays well. RDR is an amazing game that cannot be missed. When you playing a GOTY you ain't looking a pixels.

jaypah

what the fuck are y'all doing? i mean, like really? stop and look around. you people are completely insane. i don't even know where i am right now. actually i do...... and that makes me sad :(

Wazzim

Banned
Esteban said:
... and you love your 360, but dude, look behind the curtain, it ain't that scary...

There was nothing scientific about that analysis. It's not a GTA4 thread anyway.
I didn't even mention the 360, I was just bashing a claim of a reviewer.
I can't even spot the difference between 570P (FFXIII, crappy version) and 720P (FFXIII, original). So 670P or something in that range wouldn't even be seen by most gamers, it does look awful in screens though but that's always with screens.

FrankT

Chû Totoro said:
same for me.

The official thread made me want to buy the game and this one makes me not wanting to buy the game anymore -_-

If this is like most of comparison thread (system war) then just tell me and I'll go flip a coin to decide.

The facts are pretty much these;

iNvidious01 said:

just enjoy the game

If you want minute details on the res is 720p 2XMSAA on 360 and something like 644p AA? on PS3 per the pixel counter. Framerate has been discussed as well as loading times from reviewers and people here and it seems to be in the 360's favor. That is about the gist of it for those who really want the technical breakdown. I'm sure if you want to know each and every detail of each version then you will have to wait for DF or LoT analysis.

NinjaBoiX

Esteban said:

Yeah I do, it's ace. I love PS3 too, I actually got GTA4 on playstation because of the better draw distance, crashing into something that hasn't been drawn in yet sucks. :(

belvedere said:
The lower res combined with the AA method used in the PS3 version produced a softer look.

I was referring to GTA IV btw, my bad.

Many people thought GTA4 looked better on PS3 because of the X360 version's texture dithering bug, not because of the lower resolution. The softer look wasn't due to the resolution. The PS3 version of GTA4 had a weird post process blur filter applied to everything. That filter was dropped from Ballad of Gay Tony. It looks much clearer despite the native res staying the same.

BurritoBushido said:
Is there a conclusion yet I am tired and I don't want to read this thread.

PS3 is 640p like GTA4, LATD and BOGT.
Consequently, the image is slightly less defined and aliasing is more of a problem. However, it's not a bad port. Relative to GTA4, RDR has come closer to parity across the platforms.

FrankT

enkeixpress said:
I can confirm that the PS3 version runs at a native resolution of 1280x720 :D

http://www.videogameszone.de/Red-De...rn-Abenteuer-748099/galerie/1290034/?fullsize

There ya go.. That's a direct screen-cap from the game.. Check the resolution. See? 720p

More 720p screens can be seen here: http://n4g.com/news/clickout/525442

What is wrong with you.

First you pose as a Rockstar employee. Really, Really.

Then state the 360 is the inferior version with screen tearing. All evidence points to otherwise here.

Now you are saying it runs native 720p.

No sir, get out.

enkeixpress
Banned

Just deserts.

Ben Sones

enkeixpress said:
I can confirm that the PS3 version runs at a native resolution of 1280x720 :D

http://www.videogameszone.de/Red-De...rn-Abenteuer-748099/galerie/1290034/?fullsize

There ya go.. That's a direct screen-cap from the game.. Check the resolution. See? 720p

More 720p screens can be seen here: http://n4g.com/news/clickout/525442

I'm no expert in these matters, but doesn't the image get scaled for the target output by the console? So you'll end up with a 720p image no matter what resolution the renderer is using, yes?

I'm really more concerned with framerate discrepancies between the two versions. Does anyone have more info on that?

Top Bottom