• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rep Keith Ellison of Minnesota will hopefully be the new DNC chairperson

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
A party chair is vastly different from someone running for office. DWS was not a bad chair because she was an establishment politician, she was a bad chair because she neglected building up the party on a state and local level and leveraged those resources for her own benefit.

I'm not totally sold on, or dismissive of, Ellison but how can you deny Dean's actual, real life, proven track record in overseeing Dem wave elections?

I don't disagree. My fear is that DWS failures are not solely due to incompetence but priorities. Ie big donor fundraising. Time is a finite resource. Every second you are talking to a big donor or a lobbyist is a second not doing something else

I'm not informed enough to be pro Ellison. I'm just very very wary of dean. I resolve my lack of information by looking at who is pushing for each of them (warren v Clinton) Enough for me.

Right?

Honestly, I had little concept of who this dude was before this, and he didn't meet my expectations.

That interview was honestly disappointing to me, on just a personal political level.

I don't expect anyone to have all the answers, but I'd expect a knowledgeable person to slow down and thoughtfully consider the questions being asked.

It came across like someone who has to give a presentation and their only preparation was reviewing an outline of the issue for 30 minutes beforehand. They go in with the game plan of just talking nonstop until they can get to the bulletpoints they remained from their cursory review.

I am intrigued by his voter turnout stats versus the state and how he turned that around in his district.

But honestly, and apologies if this comes off as patronizing, but I wonder if we're just coastal elites that this will always be lost on. Someone else listening may have heard how often he repeated "working class" and mentioned their struggle and felt that he connected with them (especially where he called the republican party the place for those who aren't struggling).

Look, I'm not saying Ellison is going to do a great job (I have no means of evaluating his actual mobilization ability), but let's not get carried away about the genius of Howard Dean. He won a couple of elections big because Bush was wildly unpopular (although his ability may have increased or lessened the magnitude of the victory). The evidence on Dean being a proven winner is not conclusive by any stretch of the imagination (he would have needed to have been chairman in 2010 to have some sense of that). The qualities for being a successful chairperson of a political party are, really, not that well known (although we've seen multiple ways how someone can fail in that role).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom