• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC Asks All Staffers For Resignation Letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Bernie supporters aren't your fucking enemy.

We aren't republicans or members of the tea party. Many of us are also democrats, but for some reason so many of you guys want to keep driving us away.
The Justice Democrats are indeed a Tea Party-style movement though.

And it's not about people who supported Bernie in the primaries, it's about people who are still obsessed with the guy at this point in 2017 and treating him as a messiah figure.

Matt

Please, Perez, please focus on local campaigns. Winning back mayoral offices and state legislatures outside of the big city districts will give the Democratic party legitimacy again. Then, governorships and congress seats will be easier to win, thanks to aforementioned credibility, and then the presidency should never, ever be lost again to the GOP as long as they continue to be the platform of hatred, anti-intellectualism, and anti-progress.
The job of the DNC is to elect Democrats to the Presidency. There are other committees for what you are talking about (though of course the DNC provides support to those committees).

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The Justice Democrats are indeed a Tea Party-style movement though.

And it's not about people who supported Bernie in the primaries, it's about people who are still obsessed with the guy at this point in 2017 and treating him as a messiah figure.

Its easy for Bernie supporters to point fingers when the nominee lost to a half-wit, and lost several blue strongholds in the process. Unfortunately for them, he will definitively be too old next election, so they better find their next messiah, or the Dems better find a crowd-pleaser candidate, or Its Trump/Pence/Ryan/Hatch for 2020, too.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The job of the DNC is to elect Democrats to the Preaidency. There are other committees for what you are talking about (though of course the DNC provides support to those committees).

You are right, but here's hoping a more united front goes in to these areas where Dems have been getting crushed and help show these poor white people that they have been voting against their best interests and are poor due to, in large part, the candidates they have voted into office.

Shouldn't be hard:

Healthcare
Student Debt
Corporatism
Refusal to raise minimum wage
etc.

I know exactly how active they are in other races, and at their most involved it's still far less than the DCCC, the DSCC, the DGA, etc.

And yet one of the biggest messages coming from Perez and Ellison is a 50 state strategy... that has zip to do with the Presidency.

Matt

And yet one of the bggiest message coming from Perez and Ellison is a 50 state strategy... that has zip to do with the Presidency.
It has everything to do with the Presidency. Dean's efforts helped to expand the map in 2008. But again, that goes to the "support" aspect I was talking about.

Tarydax

Banned
Bernie supporters aren't your fucking enemy.

We aren't republicans or members of the tea party. Many of us are also democrats, but for some reason so many of you guys want to keep driving us away.

First, I never said Bernie supporters were my enemy; the quote I replied to specifically mentioned the Justice Democrats. Obviously not all Bernie supporters are Justice Democrats, so unless you're a Justice Democrat, I don't know why you would be offended. Second, they have been ignoring Gabbard, so my post was accurate.

And when the Justice Dems refuse to primary Gabbard even though she's in safe blue Hawaii but they chomp at the bit to go after Manchin or McCaskill (who are both in vulnerable states in danger of flipping), they are my fucking enemy on top of being ideologically inconsistent. If the only issue of consequence that makes politicians progressive in the eyes of the Justice Dems is an endorsement of (but not necessarily by) Bernie Sanders, then Bernie really is the only thing they care about - not the economy, not national security, not the environment, not wages, not healthcare, none of it. Even if they agree with someone like Manchin most of the time, they still find him more offensive than the Republicans who agree with them none of the time. And that's dangerous.

If McCaskill and Manchin endorsed Bernie during the primary, you wouldn't be hearing a peep from the Justice Dems about either of them.

I'm compelled to say this is mostly for show. Perez asks everyone for resignation and then hires back half the people and replaces the other half so they can say the DNC isn't what it used to be. It's not a bad PR move, as long as they get their shit together in time to start winning on the State level.

Matt

I'm compelled to say this is mostly for show. Perez asks everyone for resignation and then hires back half the people and replaces the other half so they can say the DNC isn't what it used to be. It's not a bad PR move, as long as they get their shit together in time to start winning on the State level.
Again, this happens after every election, and it's not for show. Not everyone leaves, but most people do.

Again, this happens after ever election, and it's not for show. Not everyone leaves, but most people do.

I know they usually replace a lot of people after elections--especially if a new Democratic President comes into power. Just hadn't paid much attention in the past. I think this being more publicized is entirely due to the previous DNC E-mail Leaks and the DNC's current image problem (which is bullshit but very real).

Matt

I know they usually replace a lot of people after elections--especially if a new Democratic President comes into power. Just hadn't paid much attention in the past. I think this being more publicized is entirely due to the previous DNC E-mail Leaks and the DNC's current image problem (which is bullshit but very real).
That's the only reason it's being reported on, yeah.

Armaros

Its being reported on because of all the talk about the DNC during the election.

Sucks for anyone not responsible for the huge clusterfuck that was the 2016 election, but it makes total sense to completely clean house. They need to run a much better operation that is a far cry from whatever the hell it was before.

Yeah, it's dumb.

We need the moderate Democrats. We can't replace Manchin.
Manchin is a DINO weathervane and could probably be unseated by someone with a name and a little bit of clout (which is the only fucking thing you need to win an election in this state). I hope Kessler decides to run. He's getting my vote in the primary if he does.

kirblar

Manchin is a DINO weathervane and could probably be unseated by someone with a name and a little bit of clout (which is the only fucking thing you need to win an election in this state). I hope Kessler decides to run. He's getting my vote in the primary if he does.
A Dino is still one vote closer in the senate. Its WV. Youre not doing better.

CazTGG

Its easy for Bernie supporters to point fingers when the nominee lost to a half-wit, and lost several blue strongholds in the process. Unfortunately for them, he will definitively be too old next election, so they better find their next messiah, or the Dems better find a crowd-pleaser candidate, or Its Trump/Pence/Ryan/Hatch for 2020, too.

Kamala Harris/Elizabeth Warren 2020?

Feel free to flip these two around if you'd like.

Why are we even talking about """left tea party""" in this thread?

Because the Tea Party played a significant role in the 2010 midterms that saw the Republicans win back the House and severely cut the Democrat's Senate majority? Considering the Democrats have more seats to defend than Republicans during the 2018 midterms and need to flip some to prevent any further damage from 45's administration i.e. blocking all Supreme Court nominees from President Russia, mobilizing the "Tea Party of the left" could bolster their chances of doing so if they can get them to vote.

Matt

If it's not Manchin's name on the ticket, Dems are not winning that seat.

Feel free to flip these two around if you'd like.

Because the Tea Party played a significant role in the 2010 midterms that saw the Republicans win back the House and severely cut the Democrat's Senate majority? Considering the Democrats have more seats to defend than Republicans during the 2018 midterms and need to flip some to prevent any further damage from 45's administration i.e. blocking all Supreme Court nominees from President Russia, mobilizing the "Tea Party of the left" could bolster their chances of doing so if they can get them to vote.
You have a very different take on what everyone else is saying about the prospect of a left Tea Party lol

I get why it's important, it just seems irrelevant to this thread. Perez obviously isn't about "purity" though so I don't get what it has to do with him restructuring the DNC.

That's a good way to lose 2020, that's for sure. As much as I would like a Woman President, I don't see a woman at the top of the ticket winning in the next 3-4 Presidential Elections. I'm thinking Franken is the perfect candidate for 2020, but he says he doesn't want to run. If we're talking about Women in the Democratic Party, Gillibrand is probably the closest to a fresh young face the Democrats have, since Harris is too new to the scene imo.

That's a good way to lose 2020, that's for sure. As much as I would like a Woman President, I don't see a woman at the top of the ticket winning in the next 3-4 Presidential Elections. I'm thinking Franken is the perfect candidate for 2020, but he says he doesn't want to run. If we're talking about Women in the Democratic Party, Gillibrand is probably the closest to a fresh young face the Democrats have, since Harris is too new to the scene imo.

Obama won his Senate election in 2004 and won the presidency four years later. Prior to that, he was a State Senator who had a failed run for the House.

Conversely, Kamala will have won her Senate election in 2016, obviously four years before 2020. And prior to that, she was California's Attorney General for 6 years.

Experience wouldn't be an issue, in my opinion. But I guess there's a double standard with women where too little experience is seen as bad/unprepared. Too much experience is also probably seen as a bad thing (see: Clinton, Hillary Rodham). Maybe Gillibrand is that sweet spot. I just wouldn't count Kamala (or Katherine Cortez-Masto) out for 2020 for lack of experience. She will have had more than Obama did.

Forgive my ignorance, but how is Xochitl pronounced?
Sho - chit

Best guess based on my very limited knowledge of Nahuatl. Nahuatl was the language spoken by the Aztecs, though native speakers tended to call themselves the "Mexica" (me - Shi - cah), hence the modern name of the country. Spanish orthography and pronunciation changed somewhat over the years, so the "Sh" sound morphed into the "h" sound you hear today. My understanding is that this sound shift never happened in Nahuatl itself, however.

Communities of Nahuatl speakers were used by latter day Conquistadors like Alvarez as allies to subdue Mayan speaking territories. Whenever these (usually isolated) communities were encountered by the Spanish, they would term the communities "Mejicanos" or "Mexicanos", names that survive in the modern names of towns throughout Central America.

Matt

Obama won his Senate election in 2004 and won the presidency four years later. Prior to that, he was a State Senator who had a failed run for the House.

Conversely, Kamala will have won her Senate election in 2016, obviously four years before 2020. And prior to that, she was California's Attorney General for 6 years.

Experience wouldn't be an issue, in my opinion. But I guess there's a double standard with women where too little experience is seen as bad/unprepared. Too much experience is also probably seen as a bad thing (see: Clinton, Hillary Rodham). Maybe Gillibrand is that sweet spot. I just wouldn't count Kamala (or Katherine Cortez-Masto) out for 2020 for lack of experience. She will have had more than Obama did.
While that is true, saying "Obama did it" isn't the most compelling argument to me because, well, no one else is Barack Obama.

Obama was also a once in a generation orator, was helped by Edwards sapping votes early on in the primaries and still barely squeaked out a Primary win. He basically walked through the General as a Moderate Democrat because Sarah Palin was even in the equation. Obama did some work, but it was also a perfect storm. People would still rather vote for a Black Man than any kind of Woman. Having 2 women on the ticket--including the most demonized liberal woman in the party--is not going to work. Clinton didn't lose because she was too experienced, she lost because Republican's spent 35 years attacking her and she had very real image problems.

Sure, Harris has a shot, but I just think it's a long shot unless Trump hits sub-30% approval--or whomever is President at the time. If he hits that point then go all in on Harris. I think Gillibrand will be able to accomplish more honestly. Something that hurt Obama was his lack of relationships in the Senate. Pelosi, aka the greatest Speaker of the House ever, managed to get the House to pass some really amazing legislation, but it usually got hamstrung in the Senate because Obama just couldn't get them all on the same page. Harris will likely have the same issues, where as Gillibrand has worked with a lot of these people for years.

Katherine Cortez-Masto doesn't want it but a lot can change in 2 years.

Definitely - I'd pay attention to her actions (rather than words) in the near future. She is the Senator of an important early primary state, too.

While that is true, saying "Obama did it" isn't the most compelling argument to me because, well, no one else is Barack Obama.

This is true, but my point is that being a new Senator isn't necessarily disqualifying (especially since Kamala has prior experience as well).

Red state dems are still dems and will vote with dems the majority of the time.

Red state dems are still dems and will vote with dems the majority of the time.
That might be true of Heitkamp or Donnelly. Manchin voted for a Klansmen to be the attorney general. I don't think being against the most blatant kind of white supremacy is too much to ask for. And besides, the two West Virginian Democratic senators before him were both left-ish members of the caucus.

I still don't get why we're talking about 2020 candidates in here, but while we're at it I'd throw in Klobuchar as an underrated potential first woman president. She's a bit too conservative for my tastes but I think she'd be strong in the general election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom