• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rep Keith Ellison of Minnesota will hopefully be the new DNC chairperson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is talking about abandoning minorities. What people are saying is that in certain regions, minority/social issues are not nearly as important as economic ones. Therefore stop wasting your time talking about it as a central campaign issue and explain how you'll get them back to work.

Did we forget the 2016 election already?

Doesn't mean it isn't a campaign issue, just a more targeted one.

Uh, that's what I'm saying. I'm responding to stooge and a lot of poligaf regulars who appear against any kind of DNC shakeup that doesn't involve Dem party members that most people are sick and tired of.

Uh, that's what I'm saying. I'm responding to stooge and a lot of poligaf regulars who appear against any kind of DNC shakeup that doesn't involve people that most people are sick and tired of.
Oh, apologies, then. Misunderstood what you were trying to say.

But yeah it pains me to say as a minority, but the message on Tuesday was clear.

Edit: I'm open to Ellison, but I'm also not ready to dismiss Dean because he got results and as chair seemed to understand the importance of listening to the people in each state rather than playing overt favorites.

Oh, apologies, then. Misunderstood what you were trying to say.

But yeah it pains me to say as a minority, but the message on Tuesday was clear.

She will win the popular vote by millions. This loss was by strategic margins. This isn't a platform issue, it's a messaging and messenger issue.

Knee jerking to far the left left gives us McGovern and Dukakis. We need to fix the messaging and get Dems in locally as well as national.

Yeah.. and I'm not all that upset about it, as a minority myself. The Democratic party has been good to me. Getting more "extreme' liberals into the party is not a bad thing -- some of the rhetoric on Gaf from the Clinton-Guard is "Oh no, please not more White Males in my party!"

How about we WIN elections? Let's do some populace shit up in here and focus on white rural people too. That does NOT mean that we're abandoning PoC and LGBTQ alright

faisal233

Sigh.

RNC was run by full timers Steele and rience. Uncharismatic, middling personalities that did not dictate the direction of the party but rather just built the organization.

DNC was ran by up and coming part timers who destroyed everything dean has done. Show me the proof that Ellison has the skillset for the job. We just had a first hand account that he doesn't.

Blader

Since never. But if the party hold their ear to the ground instead of pushing a narrative, maybe in 4 years America will end its flirtation with Fascism.

Well that's the goal behind a 50-state strategy. Still not sure what this has to do with anything. The American people are not going to decide who the chair is and, for the most part, won't know or care.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Make Ellison the chair but let Dean work with him.

Best of both worlds.

im fine with this.

The only thing i would ask is that Dean resign any contracting work hes currently involved in. He does that so he can be fully involved in the best interests of the American people and it goes a long way for me.

faisal233

im fine with this.

The only thing i would ask is that Dean resign any contracting work hes currently involved in. He does that so he can be fully involved in the best interests of the American people and it goes a long way for me.
I'm sure he will. Dean looked for every way to stay in govt. Wanted to work for Obama and was pushed out.

Sigh.

RNC was run by full timers Steele and rience. Uncharismatic, middling personalities that did not dictate the direction of the party but rather just built the organization.

DNC was ran by up and coming part timers who destroyed everything dean has done. Show me the proof that Ellison has the skillset for the job. We just had a first hand account that he doesn't.

I think it was actually Rience's lack of leadership and inability to stop the growing fascist populist forces that overran the party post Obamq, rather than his actual organizing skills, and democrats weakness that handed republicans total dominance.

Anyway, I've warmed up to Dean and Ellison as co-chairs.

I think it was actually Rience's lack of leadership and inability to stop the growing fascist populist forces that overran the party post Obamq, rather than his actual organizing skills, and democrats weakness that handed republicans total dominance.
I'm not sure about that. He knew enough as a leader this election to keep in line and let the people speak.

Now he's in line for Chief of Staff.

KingV

Uh, that's what I'm saying. I'm responding to stooge and a lot of poligaf regulars who appear against any kind of DNC shakeup that doesn't involve Dem party members that most people are sick and tired of.

They must be Republican agents trying to get enough state houses for R's to pass constitutional amendments.

faisal233

Look, as a Muslim American, I think it's imperative that someone like Ellison plays an outsized role in the public face of our opposition.

The DNC chair doesn't need that role. The DNC chair needs to be involved daily in the ugly sausage making. Finding the right candidate to run in mobile, AL seems more in line with Dean's skillset than Ellison.

It seems like a waste of talent to shoe horn Ellison into a role that should consume his time building the party, instead of letting him play to his talents.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Look, as a Muslim American, I think it's imperative that someone like Ellison plays an outsized role in the public face of our opposition.

The DNC chair doesn't need that role. The DNC chair needs to be involved daily in the ugly sausage making. Finding the right candidate to run in mobile, AL seems more in line with Dean's skillset than Ellison.

It seems like a waste of talent to shoe horn Ellison into a role that should consume his time building the party, instead of letting him play to his talents.

Yep we need him in congress full time, because boy that place is going to be busy the next few years :/

Need a full time chair. Jason Kander is a guy to look at. Just lost a close election for senate in MO. Did much better than Hillary in red state country.

Need a full time chair. Jason Kander is a guy to look at. Just lost a close election for senate in MO. Did much better than Hillary in red state country.
My god Clinton camp gave Bernie so much shit over not being sufficiently antigun and you guys all pop a hard on for a guy just because he assembled a gun blindfolded.

Kander and Bernie are much more in the right place on guns than Hillary is unfortunately.
I'm having a hard time finding anything about this guy other than he's a veteran and that particular ad (which is great ad don't get me wrong). But I'm not seeing anything about his other positions.

My god Clinton camp gave Bernie so much shit over not being sufficiently antigun and you guys all pop a hard on for a guy just because he assembled a gun blindfolded.
Pretty sure Missouri will have different priorities on guns than NY or the rest of the country. Him understanding that probably helped him be as close as he was in a red state.

So maybe it's a hardon from some because he better understands his electorate that he would have represented. Something clearly lacking from DNC leadership.

Nibiru

Banned
I think Dems are screwing this up and that Dean would be a better choice. The Dems are in a very bad place and they need someone who can do the job exclusively not someone who can only do it part time. Ellison has star power but that isn't what you need in that role.

Honestly I don't even know if Dean is a good choice but at least it would be his only job.

Yeah, what we really need is another experienced organizer like Donna Brazile or DWS

These two were Clinton cronies focusing only on her and couldn't give a damn about other races.

stop this nonsense. this is far from the 80s.

It is far from the 80s but the same traps exist. We need to look empirically at the results and move forward. Throwing the block that nets the majority of the votes while chasing the margins gets us the same results as the 80s.

There is plenty of space and reason to reconcile the Dem base and the activist wing. We need both and not either.

Bernie is I the right here

He isn't anti gun because locally being antifungal is stupid.

I'm still utterly flabbergasted about how many voters are single issue over guns of all things, but if it makes sense locally, then I don't think this should be the straw that breaks the purity test

I've seen too many people in Texas who are otherwise decently moderate but guns makes any conversation into a nonstarter

I'll be honest, I'm worried about the full time position and if Ellison would allow middle America to run blue dog Democrats, but if Reid and Schumer have endorsed him alongsidebwarren and Bernie, I feel a little more confident in it

link for those interested in getting ellison in: http://www.glyphgryph.com/index.html

Fantastic link!

You guys all know that this man co-sponsored a bill declaring the sitting Vice President a War Criminal, right?

I get that plays well with the extreme left of the party (and I am absolutely no fan of Dick Cheney), but we will find the Dems becoming an even more extreme liberal urban only party with this sort of direction.

Wisconsin and Michigan in particular are traditionally extremely progressive states economically, and had very strong unions before falling apart as a result of democrats abandoning their worker and union base in favor of Wall Street and supermillionaires. Bernie would only have done better in those states that we lost. Point and fact, he won them both during the primary.

Bernie Sanders is literally the most popular and well liked politician in the country right now. He's more well liked than Obama right now. I'm baffled at how terrified Clinton supporters are of being more popular in a democratic system. If we want to rehabilitate the democratic party and start winning again, it has to be reshaped in Bernie's image.

noshten

You guys all know that this man co-sponsored a bill declaring the sitting Vice President a War Criminal, right?

I get that plays well with the extreme left of the party (and I am absolutely no fan of Dick Cheney), but we will find the Dems becoming an even more extreme liberal urban only party with this sort of direction.

Dick Chaney, GWB and Tony Blair should all be facing trial for war crimes. That's my opinion on the matter and I think a lot of other people see it the same way.
If Western leaders want to promote higher values - they should also be judged at higher standards, especially after things like the Iraq War.

faisal233

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/on-ellison-at-the-dnc

I am a DNC Member from [REDACTED] and I will be voting on the next DNC Chair. I am responding to your recent post suggesting that Keith Ellison is a "done deal" as the next DNC Chair. I believe that this is a much more difficult choice than what you suggest.
While I supported Hillary Clinton in the primary, I was unhappy with the contemporaneous leadership of the DNC and agreed with some of the complaints many Democrats had about how Bernie Sanders was treated. I also believed that neither Debbie Wasserman Schultz or Tim Kaine (who preceded DWS as DNC Chair) had enough time to dedicate to the DNC -- they were Members of Congress, which is more than a full-time job.
In fact, when I ran for DNC, I earned the support of many Bernie supporters because I vowed to do what I can to ensure that our next DNC Chair did not have another full-time job. The DNC is too important to leave up to a part-timer, especially a sitting elected official who may have dozens of potential conflicts of interest.

I have spoken with a few other Clinton-supporting DNC Members around the country, and the general feeling is that the next Chair should not be a sitting elected official. Period. Full stop.

As background, some entire state DNC delegations, especially in the midwest, lost to Bernie supporters in the last DNC election. Virtually all of these new DNC Members were elected to support Bernie and other progressives at the DNC and, among other priorities, ensure that we had a new DNC Chair that was full-time.

Interestingly enough, it is the new Bernie-supporting DNC Members that may find themselves between a rock and a hard place. They are caught between supporting the Bernie-endorsed Keith Ellison and violating one of their major campaign pledges, or snubbing Bernie and voting for someone else for DNC Chair.

This puts my Bernie-supporting brothers and sisters in a very uncomfortable position, one that can only be resolved if Keith Ellison were to resign from Congress. I do not envy their situation.

Mahadev

I think people are going overboard with the Dean hate. Saying we can't support Dean and O'Malley because they supported Hilary in the primary is stupid. Bernie supported Hilary in the GE. Does that make him part of the establishment too?

Dean is a big pharma lobbyist. That's all I need to know about the kind of politician he is.

Finalizer

Nobody is talking about abandoning minorities. What people are saying is that in certain regions, minority/social issues are not nearly as important as economic ones. Therefore stop wasting your time talking about it as a central campaign issue and explain how you'll get them back to work.

Hell, you don't even need to take social issues from the limelight of the political platform, just let it share space with economics, and tailor the message to the regions where it's suitable. I don't see any reason why candidates couldn't in one breath express the need for better treatment of minorities while in the next declare a need for more jobs & support for middle America. The folks who are actually turned off by the first part were never gonna stray from the republican/Trump base in the first place, so forget about 'em.

bachikarn

Dean is a big pharma lobbyist. That's all I need to know about the kind of politician he is.

I'd like to know more about that. Pretty sure he was the Bernie Sanders of the the 2004 election. He was pushed out of the DNC because he did not want to do insider politics. I am a little skeptical that he is as big of a sell out as some people claim.

Blader

The kind of politician that laid the groundwork for two Democratic wave elections, the second of which included Barack Obama?

He's not running for elected office, he's running for party chair. Organizing a nationwide party is a vastly different job. And while I don't dislike Ellison for the job, I don't know about his ability as an organizer that makes me think he's more qualified for the gig than Dean. The idea that he'd be treating as a part-time role like Kaine and DWS did also makes me weary of the choice.

Mahadev

The kind of politician that laid the groundwork for two Democratic wave elections, the second of which included Barack Obama?

He's not running for elected office, he's running for party chair. Organizing a nationwide party is a vastly different job. And while I don't dislike Ellison for the job, I don't know about his ability as an organizer that makes me think he's more qualified for the gig than Dean. The idea that he'd be treating as a part-time role like Kaine and DWS did also makes me weary of the choice.

For the millionth time, establishment politicians with strong ties to corporations are no longer viable. This will be seen like a big fuck you from DNC to anti-establishment voters who keep getting more and more which will make DNC even more irrelevant and hated.

faisal233

For the millionth time, establishment politicians with strong ties to corporations are no longer viable. This will be seen like a big fuck you from DNC to anti-establishment voters who keep getting more and more which will make DNC even more irrelevant and hated.

Voters don't vote because of the chair. This narrative is bullshit. If Ellison is serious about being the chair, he should resign from congress. I don't see how all the Bernie DNC people go back on their pledge to elect a fulltime chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom