• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Lewis Endorses Keith Ellison for DNC Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
Via The Hill: http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/317803-john-lewis-endorses-ellison-for-dnc-chair

That's a surprise. Lewis endorsed Hillary Clinton during the election season.

Civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) sent a letter to Democratic National Committee (DNC) members on Friday, urging them to back Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) in the DNC chair race.

Lewis touted Ellison as a powerful organizer with a deep background in protecting civil rights and the best candidate for the job of rebuilding a fractured Democratic Party.

”Keith's long history as an organizer who can energize the grassroots makes him the best choice to lead our party during this critical time," Lewis said in a statement.

More at the link

EDIT: For those curious- HE IS GOING TO BE FULL TIME is he's given the role.

kirblar

That's a surprise. Lewis endorsed Hillary Clinton during the election season.
Ellison's been getting endorsements from all over the place in congress, the internal opposition is with the ex-Obama admin people, not Clinton's supporters.

Heard Keith on Ezra Klein's podcast, and came away very impressed. Far better than his interview with the 1600 gang. I think Keith's the guy.

Trouble

Banned
I don't understand why this is a surprise. So they supported different candidates during the primary. Doesn't make them mortal enemies or something.

Having seen Ellison speak before he was a US Congressperson and just a State Representative...I can assure you this guy knows what's up. He was even at OWS Minneapolis for a day. Meanwhile, during that same time frame...I saw Al Franken at a coffee shop. Never saw Al at OWS. If you want a progressive leading the DNC people should vote for Ellison.

I hope he does get the job, one because I like him and two because his replacement in congress will most likely be Scott Dibble...just as great as Keith if not better.

I have yet to be convinced that the Perez campaign exists for any reason other than to keep Sanders supporters out of power.

Clearly, the reverse is not true.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
What about his background?

I'm assuming his association with Nation of Islam specifically Louis Farrakhan but I don't the details.

I know Gershowitz said he would leave the democratic party if Ellison became Chair that's about all I know.

I like both Ellison and Perez

+ Perez because he would be chair Full time and he's Dominican.
+Ellison because he has Bernie fans support

kirblar

Having seen Ellison speak before he was a US Congressperson and just a State Representative...I can assure you this guy knows what's up. He was even at OWS Minneapolis for a day. Meanwhile, during that same time frame...I saw Al Franken at a coffee shop. Never saw Al at OWS. If you want a progressive leading the DNC people should vote for Ellison.

I hope he does get the job, one because I like him and two because his replacement in congress will most likely be Scott Dibble...just as great as Keith if not better.
The DNC chair position is organizational, not ideological. His focus is on electing Dems (including blue dogs) as part of a 50-state strategy to get the biggest #s possible, not the most progressive possible.
I rather have Perez as full timer, instead of a Ellison part timer
Ellison will resign his seat if he wins. (It's a safe D one.)

I've been pleased with all candidates - wish I could Frankenstein them. I'm far less worried about any particular one losing or winning than I am with the nutty Bernie and Clinton tribal warriors using them as a surrogate to continue the primary.

studyguy

At this point I don't care so long as the DNC gets a new chair and we move the fuck on. Mobilization isn't a one man job and a lot of the potential DNC chairs have fantastic platforms, regardless of who takes the job the democrats have their work cut out for them for 2018, nevermind 2020.

The DNC chair position is organizational, not ideological. His focus is on electing Dems (including blue dogs) as part of a 50-state strategy to get the biggest #s possible, not the most progressive possible.

Ellison will resign his seat if he wins. (It's a safe D one.)

Woah dude. You blew my mind.

studyguy

I have yet to be convinced that the Perez campaign exists for any reason other than to keep Sanders supporters out of power.

Clearly, the reverse is not true.

You're going to be incredibly disappointed if you think the DNC chair under Elision is only going to push for sanders progressives when dealing with a 50 state strategy, that's not how it works, unifying Democrats in deep red states requires a shitload of bargaining with people most people would not consider democrats in other states. That's just how it goes.

Again DNC chair isn't going to be indicative of some giant progressive or moderate swing to come based on who gets the position, the only point is to mobilize and get as many D's on 2018 ballots elected or stay in their positions.

I rather have Perez as full timer, instead of a Ellison part timer

As other said Ellison will commit full time.

I really like Perez and think there is a good future for him, but right now the party needs the factions united. Ellison does that and is seems like a good person to lead the party chair.

kirblar

As other said Ellison will commit full time.

I really like Perez and think there is a good future for him, but right now the party needs the factions united. Ellison does that and is seems like a good person to lead the party chair.
The issue with Perez is less him and more of an issue of who's backing him and why. (the ex Obama admin camp.)

The good thing about this DNC chair race is it's exposing some good democratic politicians. Perez and Buttigieg can go on and run for a senate seat.

Kevinroc

I'm totally fine if Ellison does end up with the job, but I think this process has taken entirely too long. Democrats need to start getting organized.

Cue the "I am not a member of any organized party — I am a Democrat" meme and its variants.

The issue with Perez is less him and more of an issue of who's backing him and why. (the ex Obama admin camp.)

Dems on the Hill were also peeved at Obama backing him after Schumer/Pelosi/Warren all gave their blessing for Ellison. Perez has really good ties to unions and understands working class very well. I think he will be better served in a Gov mansion or a Senate seat in the future.

Dems on the Hill were also peeved at Obama backing him after Schumer/Pelosi/Warren all gave their blessing for Ellison. Perez has really good ties to unions and understands working class very well. I think he will be better served in a Gov mansion or a Senate seat in the future.
Perez really feels to me like he would be excellent in the Senate to counter all of the Republicans trying to cater to the Working class.

tbm24

All things considered, I think it's silly to be annoyed at Perez for wanting this position as I don't believe that he's being propped up against his own volition. Either one can be counted on to put in the work needed.

There's nothing more tiring than watching the DNC Chairship being portrayed as some sort of proxy war between the Clinton Camp and the Sanders Camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom