• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Reid Backs Rep. Keith Ellison for DNC Chair, Cites Need for 'New Thinking'

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/harr...ison-dnc-chair/story?id=43507786&cid=abcn_tco

Democratic Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid has joined some other party leaders in throwing his support behind Rep. Keith Ellison to become the new chair of the Democratic National Committee, saying the Minnesota congressman would bring "new thinking and a fresh start."

"My friend Keith Ellison is a terrific leader and a strong progressive who knows how to get things done. Now is the time for new thinking and a fresh start at the DNC. Now is the time for Keith," Reid said in a statement issued by his communications director.

Ellison of Minnesota has yet to throw his hat in the ring for election as chair of the party committee. But he said today on ABC News' "This Week" that he will announce 'real soon' whether he will run for the post.

Schumer, Bernie, and now Reid. This feels done.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I hope democrats don't make the mistake of going full liberal. You never go full liberal. See the elections 1972 and 1984.

New "non Harry Reid" thinking hopefully.

The Nevada Democratic Party has the best swing state apparatus in the country and was able to deliver 2 swing congressional districts, a swing senate seat, and the presidency to the Democrats in spite of Trump's win and a 2-point Democratic margin nationally. This is in part of the Harry Reid Machine that he built. He's one of the most effective(ly ruthless) politicians we have. I'm down with listening to what Reid has to say going forward.

There have been a few threads on this, so my post will be pretty similar to comments made in those. But it's great to see he is getting support from "outsiders" and establishment democratic leaders. I do think a candidate's ideology is less important than his organizational skills and emphasis on understanding what is best for the electorate in each state and supporting candidates that can best win in those areas.

I'm also a bit concerned with him not being full-time. Although other posters have brought up a great point that as a House member under GOP control, he's not going to have much to do. But still, this position needs a person who can take this on as priority one and is truly passionate about fixing the organization versus using it as a stepping-stone or something.

Jonm1010

Banned
There have been a few threads on this, so my post will be pretty similar to comments made in those. But it's great to see he is getting support from "outsiders" and establishment democratic leaders. I do think a candidate's ideology is less important than his organizational skills and emphasis on understanding what is best for the electorate in each state and supporting candidates that can best win in those areas.

I'm also a bit concerned with him not being full-time. Although other posters have brought up a great point that as a House member under GOP control, he's not going to have much to do. But still, this position needs a person who can take this on as priority one and is truly passionate about fixing the organization versus using it as a stepping-stone or something.

I wish I could find the post quickly from the other thread, but someone mentioned they worked for him or something and they were not impressed with his organizational skills. On top of not having full time commitment, I am highly skeptical right now.

I am very leery that the party's way of "thinking outside the box" is to give the reigns to a guy that checks boxes and has earned favor with the right people, the younger guy playing their game, not that he has proven to them with any sort of strategy or ideas.

I wish I could find the post quickly from the other thread, but someone mentioned they worked for him or something and they were not impressed with his organizational skills. On top of not having full time commitment, I am highly skeptical right now.

I am very leery that the party's way of "thinking outside the box" is to give the reigns to a guy that checks boxes and has earned favor with the right people, the younger guy playing their game, not that he has proven to them with any sort of strategy or ideas.

I'm not sure that's what's happening. I just sort of doubt Reid and Schumer would back Ellison without first seeing what he had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom