• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Nintendo of America Clamps Down on Review Copies Following Mario & Luigi Supe

Warriors games take a long time to get a full appreciation of what the game has to offer. I can’t imagine trying to rush through one in order to write a review. It would probably upset me and influence my opinion of the game.

This should be less of a problem with a more secure console right? I'm unaware of the Switch's situation, but the 3DS is very easy to hack and exploit.

Edit: also if you are someone priviledged enough to get a review copy, wtf at you dumping that rom?!

CazTGG

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nin...er-leak?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This might explain why NA outlets might not have FEWarriors yet, althout some NoE have sent out code a while ago.

Withold review code if old.

Can't say if this is 100% the case with Nintendo of Canada, but I was sent an e-mail from NoC saying that "review copies for Fire Emblem Warriors are limited" so they wouldn't be able to provide one when I request it to review on my YouTube channel.

Wonder if previous leaks are the reason why they've been so silent with Ultra Sun/Moon in terms of details about that game...

Seems kinda pointless considering, as of right now, even if the game got leaked online there'd be no way for anyone else to play it right? unless they're also sending out the 3DS version of the game for review which I find extremely unlikely.

Cess007

Wow, whoever leaked it is an asshole.

I wonder if Nintendo knows who it is. There HAS to be major legal ramifications if so, right?
I would assume each key is trackable. They should know.

The article indicates they know who was it, but decided to hit everyone :

They noted that the move from Nintendo of America feels a little drastic considering, as they claim, "Nintendo knows who did it," referring to the leaker. "[Nintendo] downloaded the leaked [ROM], checked the files and found the 3DS serial attached... Anyway, they decided to punish most instead of the minority.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wait, what happened with Mario & Luigi? Did a reviewer leak a ROM dump?

plufim

I wonder if Nintendo knows who it is. There HAS to be major legal ramifications if so, right?
It apears they do. Towards the bottom of the article they note the serial number of the 3DS used is in the leaked game.

Not confirmed though.

But it seems odd cutting off traditional review outlets and not just "influencers".

The article mentions that they know who leaked it. They were able to download the ROM and find that the owner's 3DS serial number was attached to it.

So basically everyone loses thanks to that leak.

Reminds me of when that Australian (?) guy leaked New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Nintendo unleashed pure legal hell on him.

Edit - Beaten a billion times over.

I do gotta say though, considering Switch hasn't been hacked yet it's pretty wild that even those games are getting affected for everyone. I totally get punishing piracy but you'd think they'd just tighten the 3DS side of things. I wonder if this is just a temporary solution from them...

Theswweet

I feel like it's also worth noting that a similar thing happened with 7th Dragon: Code VFD, where it leaked several months early online. I know that even outside of SEGA/Atlus there were folks in PR elsewhere that were paying attention to that situation - I guess it's a combination of people being assholes and how easy it is to hack the 3DS nowadays.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop, going forward.

Seems strange since the source claims that Nintendo is aware of who the culprit is. If this was a major issue, you would think that this change would have been implemented worldwide. Unless NoE and NCL are more strict about who gets review copies.

GSR

Wait, what happened with Mario & Luigi? Did a reviewer leak a ROM dump?

Sounds like it. With the 3DS blown wide open, it's unfortunately trivial to dump a game in an unencrypted format, even if it's digital. I'm actually a little surprised Nintendo was able to track down the original leaker just through the ROM.

This has been an ongoing problem with 3DS games for a while now. Anytime news of a review copy gets out you get hordes of people begging for an early dump, usually with the cover of "well I already pre-ordered it." It doesn't surprise me that eventually you get people answering that demand, especially if it's someone from a small site or YT channel that doesn't have as much skin in the game.

oti

Banned
Seems strange since the source claims that Nintendo is aware of who the culprit is. If this was a major issue, you would think that this change would have been implemented worldwide.

I don't think Nintendo of America could just go to Nintendo of Europe and demand them to do the same because of one US influencer leaking the game. Even if they wanted to.

Makonero

Seems strange since the source claims that Nintendo is aware of who the culprit is. If this was a major issue, you would think that this change would have been implemented worldwide. Unless NoE and NCL are more strict about who gets review copies.

They might be internally figuring out how to respond and keep this thing from happening again, which would mean this review copy freeze is temporary. I hope that's the case.

spad3

NoA has been strict from the start, issues like this will cause them to lock up even further.

I still remember the whole Wii U debacle that caused NoA to go ballistic on GameStop.

Don't fuck with NoA people, it's just gonna ruin it for the rest of us.

Way to ruin it for everyone but I'm glad they know who did it. What's sad is that it paints every "influencer" in a very unprofessional light.

Sounds like it. With the 3DS blown wide open, it's unfortunately trivial to dump a game in an unencrypted format, even if it's digital. I'm actually a little surprised Nintendo was able to track down the original leaker just through the ROM.

Yeah, is that a thing? Does your system code somehow get attacked to something you rip? It was a physical cartridge wasn't it?

CazTGG

Way to ruin it for everyone but I'm glad they know who did it. What's sad is that it paints every "influencer" in a very unprofessional light.

To be fair, a good majority of these influencers do a pretty good job of that themselves.

It was probably a digital code. AFAIK physical review copies aren't super common these days except for CEs.

It varies depending on the game (Again, i'm basing this on the rare times i've requested a copy from Nintendo of Canada).

Gartooth

I thought it was weird that there were tons of complete playthroughs of that game on Youtube weeks before launch. I dismissed it as a region getting the game early, but I didn't know it leaked. Imagine the shitstorm if this had happened with Odyssey.

Vena

Yeah, is that a thing? Does your system code somehow get attacked to something you rip? It was a physical cartridge wasn't it?

For digital, yes, if you don't scrub the license ticket. The person who dumped this is quite literally an idiot.

The Switch has physical signature unique to each console and any licenses it owns, dump digital and your basically dumping your own name and address. Of course, the crypto for the Switch is vastly improved so this is far less likely.

Ridley327

By their nature, influencers have less to answer for if a stunt like this gets pulled than someone employed by the likes of IGN. There's little to lose for them in a situation like this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"Free marketing" for the companies and a "free product" for the consumers. Thanks YouTube influencers!

7Th

Is this something new? Because Pokemon games have been getting leaked weeks in advance for years now.

I don't think Nintendo of America could just go to Nintendo of Europe and demand them to do the same because of one US influencer leaking the game. Even if they wanted to.

What I was getting at is that it does seem a bit over the top on NoA 's part if NCL didn't decide to take action. Though maybe it's just temporary like someone above suggested.
So there's a possibility we won't know everything from Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon before release then
Sun/Moon were leaked because of early retail copies, weren't they?

-shadow-

But even the Switch version? Why? It's not like that system has been blown open. I get not giving out the 3DS release, but Switch seems a bit extreme.

If they managed to track him down through the ROM, the idiot never removed the unique identifier that comes with the dump. Which, well let me laugh the idiot right in their face. Because sweet lord, dumping a review copy is dumb, but having it traceable is just... Well that's just taking it to a new level.

What I was getting at is that it does seem a bit over the top on NoA 's part if NCL didn't decide to action. Though maybe it's just temporary like someone above suggested.

Sun/Moon were leaked because of early retail copies, weren't they?
I thought some retailers sold this one too early and someone ripped their cartridge? Which was left intact with unique identifier, causing a somewhat small storm on a certain forum that their systems and purchases were being blocked off.

Top Bottom