• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Nintendo of America Clamps Down on Review Copies Following Mario & Luigi Supe

GSR

Is this something new? Because Pokemon games have been getting leaked weeks in advance for years now.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but Pokemon leaks are usually from Japan or Asia, aren't they? They tend to be cases of someone early in the supply/retail chain grabbing a copy, not a reviewer with an official code leaking it. Nintendo has much more control over the latter, and they do not like it when someone they have a business relationship with leaks something.

Crayolan

That's gotta suck for smaller outlets/youtube channels.

Is this something new? Because Pokemon games have been getting leaked weeks in advance for years now.

Pokemon leaks are usually a case of distributors selling retail copies early. This is a case of someone being sent a review copy and then dumping the ROM online.

oti

Banned
I thought it was weird that there were tons of complete playthroughs of that game on Youtube weeks before launch. I dismissed it as a region getting the game early, but I didn't know it leaked. Imagine the shitstorm if this had happened with Odyssey.
From what I've heard Odyssey might be the toughest NDA in Nintendo's history. This Mario Luigi incident could be the reason for that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
But it seems odd cutting off traditional review outlets and not just "influencers".

Seems like they want to clamped down on this and be more selective on who gets review copies and who doesn't.

Seriously though leaking review copy is kinda scummy and I can't really blame Nintendo too much in taking measure to prevent from happening again, even if they are being a tad bit heavy handed.

Kouriozan

I thought it was weird that there were tons of complete playthroughs of that game on Youtube weeks before launch. I dismissed it as a region getting the game early, but I didn't know it leaked. Imagine the shitstorm if this had happened with Odyssey.
Now that you said it, I remember being upset about Youtube recommendation "all bosses" and stuff about 2 weeks before release, as I never finished the game I tried to avoid spoilers as much as possible.
Otherwise I didn't know the game leaked.

spad3

It won't happen with Odyssey. Nintendo probably has top-tier lawyers on standby prepping for launch next week.

ASaiyan

Banned
Ah, the Warriors situation makes sense then. Might be an overreaction, but a conservative Japanese company is going to air on the side of caution.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Nanashrew

Banned
That's a massive breach of trust. The influencer has only hurt everyone and themselves because of their actions. The influencer is most definitely getting blacklisted for something like this too.

Ridley327

I guess this means no reviews for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at launch?

The article makes this sound like a temporary reprimanding, though I imagine that NDAs for that game will be a lot tighter than they would have been normally. Wouldn't even surprise me if there are additional restrictions in place for Doom and Skyrim, even though Nintendo is just distributing those.

It won't happen with Odyssey. Nintendo probably has top-tier lawyers on standby prepping for launch next week. I'm betting we won't see a review for Odyssey until Monday.

Or later. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Odyssey reviews don't drop until the day before launch.

Oregano

I hope this is a case of opening back up bit by bit and not a permanent thing. It's totally like Nintendo to overreact like this though.

CazTGG

I don't think reviewers get sent cartridges/discs...

Again, it varies per game and publisher. Nintendo (of Canada) is unique in that it's one of the only companies i've seen that does provide physical copies, though whether a reviewer keeps it is another story entirely; I recall having to return my copy of Bravely Default after the "evaluation period" (not returning it would result in having to pay the MSRP of the game) when I was given the opportunity to review that game.

DrArchon

Jesus. And Nintendo was one of the good ones in terms of getting games for review out early and giving reviewers plenty of time to play them before embargo. To have them get burned this bad makes me pretty angry honestly.

GSR

Ultimately I feel like this was inevitable to some extent. Nintendo is known for running a tight ship when it comes to PR and leaks, and I imagine they've been struggling a bit with the rise of "influencers" and so many smaller outlets looking for review copies. It's pretty in line with their behavior for them to pull back so sharply after something like this.

Granted, every publisher (indie or major) has to deal with this sort of issue these days. See the thread a few days back about one GAF dev having to deal with fake YT channels/etc. trying to get Steam keys to sell.

Gartooth

From what I've heard Odyssey might be the toughest NDA in Nintendo's history. This Mario Luigi incident could be the reason for that.

I don't blame them, and I think they have been lenient on spoilers for too long now. The number of times I've seen "Final Boss + Ending" videos for unreleased games in my Youtube recommendations is crazy. I had part of Splatoon 2 spoiled because of a thumbnail I saw.

I do feel bad for the people who have to put up with this now, since not having reviews out before the launch of a game like Odyssey has to sting.

That's a massive breach of trust. The influencer has only hurt everyone and themselves because of their actions. The influencer is most definitely getting blacklisted for something like this too.

Blacklisted? That's the least of their worries...especially if you did it to a company like Nintendo.

GSR

I don't blame them, and I think they have been lenient on spoilers for too long now. The number of times I've seen "Final Boss + Ending" videos for unreleased games in my Youtube recommendations is crazy. I had part of Splatoon 2 spoiled because of a thumbnail I saw.

That's always been something that's surprised me about Nintendo, honestly. It seems like they're pretty loose on info embargos beyond "nothing public until day X".

I am soooo curious as to who was stupid enough to leak it

Probably nobody at a major site. More likely to be a freelancer or someone with a small YT channel/site, or potentially someone leaking a ROM sent to them privately by a reviewer.

GSR

Taking down this one particular leaker doesn't mean future leaks are automatically avoided.

Yeah, exactly. The fact that they can catch this individual person is more of a fluke than anything else (they didn't scrub the ROM properly.) This is more of a question to Nintendo going forward about what size media outlets they're willing to play ball with.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
An "influencer" did.

Sounds like it. With the 3DS blown wide open, it's unfortunately trivial to dump a game in an unencrypted format, even if it's digital. I'm actually a little surprised Nintendo was able to track down the original leaker just through the ROM.

This has been an ongoing problem with 3DS games for a while now. Anytime news of a review copy gets out you get hordes of people begging for an early dump, usually with the cover of "well I already pre-ordered it." It doesn't surprise me that eventually you get people answering that demand, especially if it's someone from a small site or YT channel that doesn't have as much skin in the game.

What an utter fucking idiot.

Wow, I did not know about this. This would explain a lot. We were told we'd get a Fire Emblem and Mario Odyssey, a while ago. Now it seems that we might not get them at all.

And why is everyone being punished if they know who did it? That's all sorts of messed up.

jwhit28

It's hard to blame them. Etrian Odyssey V has been around for at least a week now too going by people talking about builds on reddit.

Orca

I've always thought Nintendo was far too generous with who they gave out copies to.

lol fuck that. When I was at the paper I finally just stopped dealing with Nintendo entirely. Sony, MS, Activision, etc... Literally every other publisher had no issue providing review copy, hardware...whatever.

Nintendo would provide - grudgingly - one copy of a game, with a one-week period before I had to return it. Put up with it for a while, then just stopped requesting lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
And why is everyone being punished if they know who did it? That's all sorts of messed up.

<Cynical> Excuse for Nintendo to target those who they believe will pass along the right message to "influence" sales and reach the highest amount of people. </Cynical>

Atheerios

lol fuck that. When I was at the paper I finally just stopped dealing with Nintendo entirely. Sony, MS, Activision, etc... Literally every other publisher had no issue providing review copy, hardware...whatever.

Nintendo would provide - grudgingly - one copy of a game, with a one-week period before I had to return it. Put up with it for a while, then just stopped requesting lol
Well, to be fair that was years ago.

Now review copies are digital.

I don't think reviewers get sent cartridges/discs...

My review copy of M&L SS was a cartridge.

I got that one with weeks to spare. Now I'm worried that I won't see Odyssey until right before launch, or at launch, and I won't even be able to enjoy the damn game because I'll feel pressured to power through it and get a review up while people still give a damn. This really blows... =/

Top Bottom