• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Nintendo of America Clamps Down on Review Copies Following Mario & Luigi Supe

zelas

Way to ruin it for everyone but I'm glad they know who did it. What's sad is that it paints every "influencer" in a very unprofessional light.

They didnt ruin it for everyone. There's no reason Nintendo needed to cutoff everyone when they know who did it. Especially while allowing others to have access.

Yukinari

Never heard about the game being leaked.

Nintendo Ninjas are going to be ruthless on the people involved

/v/ had plenty of threads showing the sprite changes, people on youtube uploading the music and lots of users saying theyve beaten it already.

This was like a week or so before release. Maybe earlier.

Letting just anybody be an influencer on youtube is an odd decision anyway cause of lot of people ive watched who are influencers dont even review the games theyre given?

They didnt ruin it for everyone. There's no reason Nintendo needed to cutoff everyone when they know who did it. Especially while allowing others to have access.

The lock down on review copies certainly seems like this one individual ruined it for everyone. At least from an outsiders perspective.

Halfmunch

"don't bite the hand that feeds you"

This the appropriate reaction by Nintendo, especially with a high profile game coming up.

Damn pirates 😂

Nairume

Banned
Not sure if sarcasm
Its the truth, though.

We had early rushed impressions of Hyrule Warriors that made it sound like it was really light on content because the players in question sped through the story mode and didn't really look at adventure mode long enough to see that its the actual meat of the game.

Vuze

lol, I didn’t even know the game existed in the first place nor that it leaked. But you do you Nintendo.

That being said, leaking a review copy is quite a bitch move to do.

Eusis

Of all the games to get punished for.

A remake of a GBA game. Imagine if it was Breath of the Wild (assuming it was possible to do in the first place).
Nintendo's probably somewhat thankful it was that instead, like a canary in the mines. A remake (that doesn't even use 3D!) taking the hit while their big, high profile games are spared.

Though FE Warriors would have been the inferior version leaking anyway.

Nintendo's probably somewhat thankful it was that instead, like a canary in the mines. A remake (that doesn't even use 3D!) taking the hit while their big, high profile games are spared.

Though FE Warriors would have been the inferior version leaking anyway.

The irony though is that the games they're protecting can't be leaked, so far as we know. The Switch and its security haven't been widely cracked yet, have they?

redcrayon

Letting just anybody be an influencer on youtube is an odd decision anyway cause of lot of people ive watched who are influencers dont even review the games theyre given?

From our perspective, sure. From the perspective of a publisher, an 'influencer' is 'grass roots' PR, free promotion rather than a written list of flaws in addition to praise, and easier targets for winning over with freebies than a reviewer worried about credibility and independence due to being individuals without any company oversight or consequences on employee gifts accepted.

watershed

Banned
The article mentions a tiered system of sending out review copies so it sounds like traditional media outlets and media Nintendo has a long relationship with are probably in the 1st tier and newer, possibly less trustworthy reviewers and influencers are in lower tiers. The last thing Nintendo wants is any of their big holiday titles leaking online because a reviewer decided they don't care about professional ethics.

Deft Beck

From what I read of the situation, I thought it was some random person who sold their street date broken copy on a sell-your-crap mobile app.

If it is a review copy then there's no excuse for the influencer to have done this. It's very careless.

antonz

Nintendo got pretty lax on their rules when it came to social media influencers. When Switch launched it was pretty surprising how small they went. Many people they gave Switch and games to were tiny accounts that could be as small as 5-10k subscribers.

I mean on one hand its great they took the chance on smaller people instead of just feeding the hundreds of thousands or millions of subscriber scene.
That said it could just as easily be one of those people with massive followings cant automatically blame the little guys

JoeM86

Sun/Moon were leaked because of early retail copies, weren't they?

I don't believe so. The timing is a bit off for that. However it would have been near impossible to prove, but I have little doubt in my mind that the 2+ week early Sun & Moon leak came from a review copy.

LAA

While I understand them being more restrictive with review copies after this, why are they being so with switch games?
No switch games have been dumped yet? And even if So, pretty sure there's no way to play them yet.

At least hoping we see Mario odyssey reviews more than a day before launch.

While I understand them being more restrictive with review copies after this, why are they being so with switch games?
No switch games have been dumped yet? And even if So, pretty sure there's no way to play them yet.

At least hoping we see Mario odyssey reviews more than a day before launch.

Probably because in their mind of a Switch game got dumped people would work harder to make it playable.

And Nintendo is insane with the whole scorched earth method for everything to begin with

CazTGG

I don't believe so. The timing is a bit off for that. However it would have been near impossible to prove, but I have little doubt in my mind that the 2+ week early Sun & Moon leak came from a review copy.

I think the incident they're referring to was X/Y which had details leaked via a Canadian outlet selling the game(s) weeks in advance.

JoeM86

I think the incident they're referring to was X/Y which had details leaked via a Canadian outlet selling the game(s) weeks in advance.

Ah.

I was referring to Sun & Moon illegally leaking online in a similar method to Mario & Luigi here.

Id rather not have influencers anyway. I don't pay any attention to this kind of stuff but if you want to send me free shit I can easily give my biased overly positive thoughts as well. And to top it off I won't be a douche and leak your game.

Maybe that's off base but it's my own uninformed opinion on the matter.

Terrell

By their nature, influencers have less to answer for if a stunt like this gets pulled than someone employed by the likes of IGN. There's little to lose for them in a situation like this.

By clamping down on review copies, Nintendo creates a situation where there's suddenly a lot to lose and sends a very clear message to everyone involved. And it goes just as well to indie devs and other small business partners as it does to YouTube influencers.

The message is clear: if you like a more open Nintendo, everyone reaping the benefit will follow the rules or the party's over, full stop.

Nah, there's a pretty clear reason, you're just not on board with it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I imagine this is just temporary until Nintendo comes to an internal decision on a new policy for this stuff.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

they didn't cut out everyone, from my understading, but many.
they know who did it, but punishing a group clearly is aimed at warning ALL.
I really can't blame them, I totally blaim who share the review code.
I get those and the deals are very CLEAR about the allowed use of the FREE codes sent out.

Yukinari

Id rather not have influencers anyway. I don't pay any attention to this kind of stuff but if you want to send me free shit I can easily give my biased overly positive thoughts as well. And to top it off I won't be a douche and leak your game.

Maybe that's off base but it's my own uninformed opinion on the matter.

Theres quite a few who try their best to make informative content that isnt complete shilling. (Although gamexplain is sometimes guilty of it)

Like i havent seen any Nintendo influencer whos entire career revolves around getting free stuff to the level of iJustine or Lamarr Wilson.

Terrell

In no universe is it good. Late reviews seemingly lead to less sales. Just look at Bethesda. Less sales = less risks and less great games

There's so few examples of that, so it's obscenely premature to say that.

And in what way exactly is Bethesda being used as the example? Poor marketing is a much bigger explanation for any sales slump their games have seen lately.

Theres quite a few who try their best to make informative content that isnt complete shilling. (Although gamexplain is sometimes guilty of it)

I've never seen a gameexplain vid that felt like shilling. Their reviews always seem quite fair. I think they were one of the few that accurately called out sticker star for what it was at the time.

Although they did like color splash...

Little Mons†er;252370884 said:
I don't think Nintntendo is worries about low sales with Odyssey

Not with Odyssey, but Fire Emblem will almost certainly be affected by this

Thatanas

I've never seen a gameexplain vid that felt like shilling. Their reviews always seem quite fair. I think they were one of the few that accurately called out sticker star for what it was at the time.

Although they did like color splash...

Not with Odyssey, but Fire Emblem will almost certainly be affected by this
That's because Color Splash is a vast improvement over Sticker Star and actually a fun game and step in the right direction.

oti

Banned
how dumb do you have to be to upload your review copy.

I'm wondering how successfull Nintendo would be if they pressed charges. They know exactly who did it, when they did and how many people downloaded that particular downloadable version. You can't get more precise than that.

Tsunamo

Doesn't suprise me Nintendo is doing this. After the New Super Mario Bros Wii incident here in Australia many years ago they did a similar thing with release dates for awhile.

With that said though it really sucks for those genuine reviewers who will get affected by this. One person ruining it for the vast majority which is a shame.

Nintendo does realise that with an Sd card and a pc, you can literally download every game on the eshop for free right?

What difference does a rom dump really make when you leave your fucking door unlocked 24/7

CazTGG

Nintendo does realise that with an Sd card and a pc, you can literally download every game on the eshop for free right?

What difference does a rom dump really make when you leave your fucking door unlocked 24/7

Well, when that method allows people to play a game well before it hits retailers or the eShop...

Vena

The irony though is that the games they're protecting can't be leaked, so far as we know. The Switch and its security haven't been widely cracked yet, have they?

The Switch has a decade's worth of protection built into it that they can burn through before hackers will have it open to all software unlike the 3DS/WiiU. Though software early on is already dumped (but not playable) because of the huge hole in the 1.0 and 3.0 firmwares that are being exploited right now.

GBATemp recently had a big discussion on this from some of the big guys in the scene. From the bootloader to the firmware, they can all be redefined by Nintendo and irreversibly so with no way around it until you crack the newest firmware.

Petrae

Until NoA can draft appropriate legal documentation to hold all recipients of review code accountable, this is the best play in order to protect its assets. Sure, it was only one assclown who did this, but one is enough for a publisher to crack down and tighten the ship.

It seems harsh, but people will get the message. In addition, this gives NoA a chance to recalibrate its distribution of review code. The company doesn’t need to send so much out, and really should further firm up its requirements for who gets product and who doesn’t.

As for the influencer who did it, if that name gets out, Nintendo’s wrath won’t be the only thing to deal with. Other influencers affected by such a boneheaded decision would be certain to unleash anger on this individual for ruining it for them. Getting an in with NoA is hard enough; to lose it because of some nipplehead’s actions must be infuriating.

Top Bottom