• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 trailer (Full campaign co-op) [Oct 2, Length, No Wii U for now, more]

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Same, forced co-op is the worst thing in the history of gaming. Or up near the top of the list at the very least.

Because I only care about myself, I consider it the best thing ever, because I always enjoy games more when I can play them with my roommate.

Kinyou

All the people complaining about co op really need to play Revelation. Really.
But how does Revelations adress the other problems the co-op brings with it? (aside from the babysitting I mean.) Can you get separated from your partner for several gameplay segments?

Is Revelations even a full co-op game? Or is it always an AI partner? If it's the latter than it's an entirely different game mechanic.

Because I only care about myself, I consider it the best thing ever, because I always enjoy games more when I can play them with my roommate.
I'm sure you'd enjoy it just as much if it wasn't story integrated. Like the co-op in Halo 1.

The trailer is incredible and the story seems 1000000Xtimes better than RE5.

But.... full camping co-op pissed me off, WTF capcom I want the sense of ISOLATION like the classic good RE game... I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!

Nemesis_

But how does Revelations adress the other problems the co-op brings with it? (aside from the babysitting I mean.) Can you get separated from your partner for several gameplay segments?

Yeah. You get separated sometimes. You also never have to babysit.

Regarding Hunnigan, i am glad they have included here. They keep introducing new and uninteresting characters in the games, foehn already existing underutilized ones also exist. For example, a reporter in Revelations appears. Why couldn't she be Alyssa Ashcroft? I like those little touches in series, and Hunnigan continues it, I guess.

just give me a new 'save room' music, Capcom. That's all I ask. Even if you can save anywhere/checkpoints/whatever, just give me a few 'safe' rooms with some classic, calm RE 'save music'. ;(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm sure you'd enjoy it just as much if it wasn't story integrated. Like the co-op in Halo 1.

I don't care either way, as long as campaign co-op is in the game. I hate separate co-op modes, because they're always awful and short on content.

Uncharted's co-op is pretty much the best separate mode I've played, but can be finished in a single sitting. What a waste.

sleepykyo

I like how this feels like the ultimate Resident Evil. Too bad Wesker got himself killed before what seems like the big finale. This game is going in the direction I wanted to since the start, Leon vs Chris moments.

He'll probably be back as a clone or something. It's not like he was a helicopter pilot.

Arklite

• Demo included with Dragon's Dogma hits July 3rd for XBox, Sept 4 for PS3.

The unusual time span between the demo releases aren't giving me much hope for the performance parity, but on the other hand the bumped up release date makes it seem like development may be going smoothly on both.

I don't know....

meh
Yeah, if that trailer was supposed to make me run away from this game then they succeeded. I'm not here for the cheesy story and would-be dramatic lines spoken by special agents with high school stylings.

Looks like I may be in as long as I can mute the dialog and skip the cut-scenes.

thetrin

Yeah, if that trailer was supposed to make me run away from this game then they succeeded. I'm not here for the cheesy story and would-be dramatic lines spoken by special agents with high school stylings.

Looks like I may be in as long as I can mute the dialog and skip the cut-scenes.

Have you never played RE before?

Capcom's character modelers are awesome.

RE6_Captivate_0001_result-620x.jpg

Matt-Damon-Puppet.jpg

Giolon

Ok, I wasn't excited, but now I have to admit I'm kind of excited after watching the trailer. I still want Sheva back. :(

Kinyou

I don't care either way, as long as campaign co-op is in the game. I hate separate co-op modes, because they're always awful and short on content.

Uncharted's co-op is pretty much the best separate mode I've played, but can be finished in a single sitting. What a waste.
Yeah, I don't like those seperate modes either.

They point I'm just trying to make is that you could actually make both groups happy, Singleplayers and Co-op players. Just let player 2 play as "Random dude #32." Nobody would really mind if he doesn't appear in the cutscenes.

Piano

Banned
I was hoping they'd bring back some of the lighthearted tone and humor from RE4 to break up the horror melodrama. Crap.

Also, if you play solo will you still have to have an idiotic AI buddy with you at all times? God that was the reason I never replayed RE5. And replayed RE4 four times.

LiK

TRADITION

thetrin

Yeah, I don't like those seperate modes either.

They point I'm just trying to make is that you could actually make both groups happy, Singleplayers and Co-op players. Just let player 2 play as "Random dude #32." Nobody would really mind if he doesn't appear in the cutscenes.

I actually completely agree with you. I'm not sure why they don't do that.

I was hoping they'd bring back some of the lighthearted tone and humor from RE4 to break up the horror melodrama. Crap.

Also, if you play solo will you still have to have an idiotic AI buddy with you at all times? God that was the reason I never replayed RE5. And replayed RE4 four times.

Why did you play RE5 by yourself? You must have internet in your home.

G-Fex

Same here, I'd like to skip cut scenes.

...I really don't care about going after Ada.

Anteater

The unusual time span between the demo releases aren't giving me much hope for the performance parity, but on the other hand the bumped up release date makes it seem like development may be going smoothly on both.

We'll probably find out with dragon's dogma, since RE6 might probably be running on identical version of the engine (well with some changes probably for DD since it's a different game)

Beth Cyra

I see they keep the tradition from RE4 of giving Leon a cool jacket.

Chris needs to step his game up. Leon looks like the star of RE6.

Of course Leon is the star.

Chris has had Re5/Mercs cover and then MvC3 all this gen. Granted I prefer Chris to Leon, but I would be shocked as hell if it ends up being even close to a 50/50 split between the two.

That said, I still can't believe I will be getting some Chris Redfield goodness on my B-Day.

thetrin

I played it once through with a friend. I started another play through solo hoping it might be, you know, scary.

Nope.

Was RE EVER scary? I don't remember it being scary. I remember Jill Sandwich, Master of Unlocking, Complete Global Saturation and a dog coming through a window.

My advice would be to play Amnesia if you want scary. RE is not, and never has been scary.

Don't play co-op?

Considering co-op makes literally every video game better, I don't see the point of not playing co-op when it's available.

Socreges

Banned
I hate watching videogame trailers that have zero gameplay in them. I don't waste my time watching straight-to-DVD action flicks, so why would I be interested in this.

Why did you play RE5 by yourself? You must have internet in your home.

To be fair, not everyone owns a PS3, or wants to pay for Xbox Live gold. I played all of RE5 with my fiancee in offline co-op, for instance, and never played it online because we don't want to give Microsoft even more money.

Was RE EVER scary? I don't remember it being scary. I remember Jill Sandwich, Master of Unlocking, Complete Global Saturation and a dog coming through a window.

My advice would be to play Amnesia if you want scary. RE is not, and never has been scary.

Considering co-op makes literally every video game better, I don't see the point of not playing co-op when it's available.

Again, to be fair, REmake had a strong sense of atmosphere, and the sections with Lisa were pretty unnerving. I thought RE4 also managed to offer good atmosphere and a few creepy/scary moments with the Regenerators. The series is definitely not consistently scary, like Amnesia or Silent Hill, but it undoubtedly can pull off those moments when the developers try hard enough. Whether they will here or not remains to be seen.

And I have to respectfully disagree that co-op makes every game better. In horror games, I'd argue it's detrimental to the tension. The difference between being alone in the darkness and knowing someone else is with you can be dramatic in terms of scare factor, at least for me. That said, my fiancee and I will likely enjoy playing co-op together in RE6, though it will undoubtedly ruin some of the tension of playing alone.

seady

No Western developers know how to many attractive characters and trailers like this. Well maybe except Rockstar and Bioware.

thetrin

To be fair, not everyone owns a PS3, or wants to pay for Xbox Live gold. I played all of RE5 with my fiancee in offline co-op, for instance, and never played it online because we don't want to give Microsoft even more money.

Exactly, you don't even need internet to play co-op.

Also, you could buy the PC version and play it online for free.

I honestly do not understand why someone would spend their hard earned money on a game designed around co-op...and then not play it in co-op.

Piano

Banned

Maybe scary wasn't the right word. But REmake and RE4 were both tense and nervewracking throughout. Great atmosphere without resorting to cheap scares.

What? No.

thetrin

What? No.

Please let me know when you find a game you enjoyed more by yourself than with your friend.

Maybe scary wasn't the right word. But REmake and RE4 were both tense and nervewracking throughout. Great atmosphere without resorting to cheap scares.

The lack of nerve wracking atmosphere in RE5 had little to do with the co-op. It had more to do with the fact that enemies came from predictable and easy to cover directions, and the fact that the entire thing takes place during the day time.

Also, the game is painfully easy.

RE4 just had a more interesting and compelling settings, the set pieces were far far more interesting, and the late game enemies were terrifyingly resilient.

Jacob4815

So apparently the names were all leaked in January. One being
Carla Radames, a clone of Ada.

Yes, I remember that leak! Jake Muller and Pier Nivans were in that list!

Leon S. Kennedy
Helena Harper
Chris Redfield
Piers Nivans
Jake Muller (Wesker's son)
Sherry Birkin
Ada Wong
Carla Radames (Ada's clone)
So.. she's an Ada's clone?? So lame....

Please let me know when you find a game you enjoyed more by yourself than with your friend.

Well, I added a response to this in my previous post (this thread moves fast!), but plenty: any Metroid game, any Silent Hill game, Amnesia, RE4, the list goes on. My fiancee and I enjoy watching each other play single-player games when there's not co-op, but not every game benefits from forced co-op. In those games built around co-op, then sure, playing with a friend is probably more fun - but obviously because the game was designed with that mechanic in mind, just like other games were designed around the single-player experience.

I like how this feels like the ultimate Resident Evil. Too bad Wesker got himself killed before what seems like the big finale. This game is going in the direction I wanted to since the start, Leon vs Chris moments.
It wouldn't surprise me if something as hokey as Wesker implanting a chip on Jr and becoming Albert later on.
BB: Return of the Joker -__-

thetrin

Well, I added a response to this in my previous post (this read moves fast!), but plenty: any Metroid game, any Silent Hill game, Amnesia, RE4, the list goes on. My fiancee and I enjoy watching each other play single-player games when there's not co-op, but not every game benefits from forced co-op. In those games built around co-op, then sure, playing with a friend is probably more fun - but obviously because the game was designed with that mechanic in mind, just like other games were designed around the single-player experience.

You listed 4 games that don't have co-op.

Games with no co-op are not built around co-op. Great argument.

Any GOOD game with campaign co-op built in is ALWAYS better in co-op. That's a fact.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm actually super excited about this. I like the mindset/attitude on lil'wesker...

New control scheme better work out right. I'll definitely have the demo as Dragon's Dogma is a no brainer for me... so i'll go ahead and get my hopes up till i get a chance to try the demo and either confirm or TT about it.

You listed 4 games that don't have co-op.

Games with no co-op are not built around co-op. Great argument.

Any GOOD game with campaign co-op built in is ALWAYS better in co-op. That's a fact.

Um...
What I Said said:
In those games built around co-op, then sure, playing with a friend is probably more fun - but obviously because the game was designed with that mechanic in mind, just like other games were designed around the single-player experience.

Yeah.

Top Bottom