• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread earlier but...

Is anyone else experience odd random slowdown in areas on the PC version?

My computer is way more than capable enough to run this game, but some areas I pass through just send the game into a slow motion. Looking around online it seems I'm not the only one.

Anyone here experience this?

Yeah, I have read some complaints. Particularly the cutscenes but I don't know if a fix has been mentioned or not. Here's hoping someone with more knowledge could help you.

Parsnip

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread earlier but...

Is anyone else experience odd random slowdown in areas on the PC version?

My computer is way more than capable enough to run this game, but some areas I pass through just send the game into a slow motion. Looking around online it seems I'm not the only one.

Anyone here experience this?

Not I, but I've seen some scattered reports here and there.
Are the slowdowns always in the same areas? Is the game framerate set to locked 30, variable or locked 60?
I don't know if this is the problem, but if the game is set to locked 60 and suddenly for some reason it can't maintain it, that might result in slowdown.

Lum1n3s

Dear lord, why did I decide to do hard mode with Chris. I was expecting to get the grenade launcher where you normally do and there was nothing. Herbs are so hard to find which is annoying because I get so close to dying sometimes it's not even funny. Luckily I just managed to save
Richard
so I got some free heals from Rebecca in the meantime. What else can I expect from hard mode later on in the game?

Astral

Dear lord, why did I decide to do hard mode with Chris. I was expecting to get the grenade launcher where you normally do and there was nothing. Herbs are so hard to find which is annoying because I get so close to dying sometimes it's not even funny. Luckily I just managed to save
Richard
so I got some free heals from Rebecca in the meantime. What else can I expect from hard mode later on in the game?

Be VERY careful around Hunters. They will fuck you up. I had one instantly kill me at green health (it wasn't full but still green). Save a bit once the game introduces them to you.

Richard

The missing grenade launcher is not a hard mode thing, it's a Chris thing, instead you get a lot more shotgun ammo than Jill. Less ammo, less health items, less health and stronger enemies is really all you can expect.

Lum1n3s

The missing grenade launcher is not a hard mode thing, it's a Chris thing, instead you get a lot more shotgun ammo than Jill. Less ammo, less health items, less health and stronger enemies is really all you can expect.
Ahhhhhhh ok that makes sense lol. I like how with Chris if you try and get the shotgun without the broken shotgun you're pretty much SOL and you have to put it back lol.

This is going to be one heck of an adventure. Is real survival hard mode a thing? If so, has anyone done it yet?

Astral

Ahhhhhhh ok that makes sense lol. I like how with Chris if you try and get the shotgun without the broken shotgun you're pretty much SOL and you have to put it back lol.

This is going to be one heck of an adventure. Is real survival hard mode a thing? If so, has anyone done it yet?

Real Survival is set on hard by default.

And while we're talking about that Lisa fight - I really dislike that when you play as Chris, Wesker is there to help you with her. And he can be pushed and fall down...
and yet he's still well and alive when you meet him at the laboratory and no one even bothers to ask "how the hell did you survive that fall?!"

It really is dumb and makes no sense.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Not I, but I've seen some scattered reports here and there.
Are the slowdowns always in the same areas? Is the game framerate set to locked 30, variable or locked 60?
I don't know if this is the problem, but if the game is set to locked 60 and suddenly for some reason it can't maintain it, that might result in slowdown.

So apparently it's an issue if I have it set to 60fps... The game as a whole actually runs noticeably slower on top of the slow motion bits.

Dropping it down to 30 fps makes the game run smooth and at normal speed.

No idea what is causing this as my computer is MORE than capable enough to run this game at 60fps.

HF2014

Simple question. Is there a way to plaY the game without having the camera move up and down? I like more the original feeling of still image, dont know if its possible. Playing on PS4

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Simple question. Is there a way to plaY the game without having the camera move up and down? I like more the original feeling of still image, dont know if its possible. Playing on PS4

Yes just set the game to Original aspect ratio in the display settings.

Miker

Okay, I've played four hours and only gotten the dog whistle so far. Thing is, my save file probably reads an hour at the most.

This has to be one of the most frustrating games I've ever played in ages, and I'm not sure how much fun I'm having. I have no idea where I'm going, zombies are a pain in the ass to avoid when there are 3 in one hallway/section (hallway to first save room and right outside it), and the tank controls (which are the better choice for a game with this type of camera) are killing me. It's like I have a mental block about navigating from the character's perspective.

It's the trial-and-error nature that's really getting to me. If I went to place B first, then my life would've been 10000x easier, and I wouldn't have these items cluttering up my inventory, preventing me from picking up actually useful items. It takes a lot of my patience to run around the mansion going through random doors, picking up random items that I may or may not need, while using up all my defense items or dying along the way.

It's not that REmake is a bad game - it's not, and I can recognize why it's a great one - but it comes from an era that I'm frankly happy we left behind. With the limited amount of time I have to play games, I feel like I need that time rewarded with a reasonable degree of progress, and as shallow as that may sound, it's become important to my enjoyment. That said, I have a ton of respect for those who can enjoy this kind of oldschool challenge.

One last note - oddly enough, I'm not finding REmake scary in the least, although I'm usually a wuss when it comes to horror games. I'm feeling the atmosphere, but the loading messages of "In the darkness lies your fears" make me giggle more than anything else.

Will my garbage ass laptop run this? My roommates are constantly playing MLB on my ps4 and I wanted to get a single player game without them bitching about whats on the tv.

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1037U @ 1.80GHz
4GB RAM
And a 2GB integrated Intel HD graphics card?

I remember being able to play Revelations just fine despite what the requirements said, and I figured this game shouldn't be very intensive.

Dartastic

In the lab room with the slides, how do you figure out how to solve the puzzle to put the 4 number key to lead to Kenniths film? I just spoiled the solution to my girlfriend and she got mad. Whoops.

FrankWza

Okay, I've played four hours and only gotten the dog whistle so far. Thing is, my save file probably reads an hour at the most.

This has to be one of the most frustrating games I've ever played in ages, and I'm not sure how much fun I'm having. I have no idea where I'm going, zombies are a pain in the ass to avoid when there are 3 in one hallway/section (hallway to first save room and right outside it), and the tank controls (which are the better choice for a game with this type of camera) are killing me. It's like I have a mental block about navigating from the character's perspective.

It's the trial-and-error nature that's really getting to me. If I went to place B first, then my life would've been 10000x easier, and I wouldn't have these items cluttering up my inventory, preventing me from picking up actually useful items. It takes a lot of my patience to run around the mansion going through random doors, picking up random items that I may or may not need, while using up all my defense items or dying along the way.

It's not that REmake is a bad game - it's not, and I can recognize why it's a great one - but it comes from an era that I'm frankly happy we left behind. With the limited amount of time I have to play games, I feel like I need that time rewarded with a reasonable degree of progress, and as shallow as that may sound, it's become important to my enjoyment. That said, I have a ton of respect for those who can enjoy this kind of oldschool challenge.

One last note - oddly enough, I'm not finding REmake scary in the least, although I'm usually a wuss when it comes to horror games. I'm feeling the atmosphere, but the loading messages of "In the darkness lies your fears" make me giggle more than anything else.

its all good...just play it on very easy or use a guide maybe?...this game can be completed in a ridiculously quick time. so basically its length and replay ability comes from figuring out how to manage your items and where to go and then some replays to see different endings. so if its not even scaring you you may as well just use a guide. but I recommend trying to play in the complete dark with a nice set of surround sound headphones first.

Erebus

It isn't worded correctly in the achievement. You have to visit all rooms and take all the items. You have to make every room in the game go from red to green on the map and if you want a good place to start doing so is
saving at the labs after you put the fuel canister in it's place and power everything on. Don't go to the elevator but rather save and backtrack to wherever you want. The achievement should unlock when you reach the rooftop when you fight the Tyrant.
You don't need the clothes room, it must be done in the same playthrough.

Do health items (blue/red herbs especially) count as items for the achievement?

Miker

its all good...just play it on very easy or use a guide maybe?...this game can be completed in a ridiculously quick time. so basically its length and replay ability comes from figuring out how to manage your items and where to go and then some replays to see different endings. so if its not even scaring you you may as well just use a guide. but I recommend trying to play in the complete dark with a nice set of surround sound headphones first.

I am playing in the dark. In fact, the game fries my eyeballs when it flashes white when selecting "load game" from the main menu or when I die :p

I think I might be overthinking the rationing aspect of the game, and that's making it harder than it needs to be. Whenever I make some progress, I ask "Did I do enough stuff to justify using an ink ribbon?" And I inevitably say nah, I'll do one more thing, and that thing ends up getting me killed, then I lose that much progress. Or if I use up too many consumables on the way there, I still opt to reload. As a result, I try and make optimal runs in between saves, and it ends up eating up a ton of my time.

malfcn

Slow progress on Normal. I just don't have marathons in me much anymore, especially stress inducing like RE. Love it, but that tension when you're tired..

Just got the relay on, for an elevator near the kitchen or first hall if I remember.
Still haven't seen a book or explanation for Crimson Heads yet. Again, I did beat this originally on the GCN when it came out, but I just don't remember anymore. The panic of seeing one stand up and start running is dreadfully delicious.

Wait, the achievement is pick up all items? Wtf.

Lothar

Banned

If you're not having fun with the tank controls, then why are you sticking with them?

In the section right outside the save room, why are you trying to avoid the zombies? Shoot them. They're all spread about. Yeah, you're not supposed to shoot every single zombie, but in a room that you're going to be seeing a lot of such as near the save room, you should definitely clear that one out. Are you out of ammo or something? Do you have a shotgun?

Are you playing as Jill or Chris? I wouldn't recommend Chris for first time players.

Mr_Zombie

In the lab room with the slides, how do you figure out how to solve the puzzle to put the 4 number key to lead to Kenniths film? I just spoiled the solution to my girlfriend and she got mad. Whoops.

Later in the game you find a slide filter that filters out the unnecessarily numbers from the last slide.

I have no idea where I'm going, zombies are a pain in the ass to avoid when there are 3 in one hallway/section (hallway to first save room and right outside it), and the tank controls (which are the better choice for a game with this type of camera) are killing me.

Why don't you kill those zombies then? You want all corridors that you go through frequently free of enemies and you do have means to burn up to 12 zombies (or more, if you manage to burn two zombies at once). Otherwise dodging all those zombies will definitely get tiresome.

Are you playing as Jill or Chris? I wouldn't recommend Chris for first time players.

I disagree. While you will backtrack a lot more as Chris, him having more health, better aim (I found that it took me less ammo to kill a zombie when I was playing as Chris than when I was playing as Jill), a lighter and more shotgun shells is a blessing. Not to mention flash grenades with their guaranteed instant kills by head explosion.

Still haven't seen a book or explanation for Crimson Heads yet. Again, I did beat this originally on the GCN when it came out, but I just don't remember anymore. The panic of seeing one stand up and start running is dreadfully delicious.

There are two first files regarding Crimson Heads. First you find early in the game (I think it's in the room where you find dog whistle, but I'm not sure) and it explains their mechanics and how can you prevent them appearing (i.e. burn their corpses or blow out their heads). Second is at the end of the game, in the laboratory, and it describes them more in-depth (giving some backstory to the prototype Crimson Head you fight in the crypt).

I take everything over what happens in Jill's scenario.

*Barry draws gun on her, but gets overpowered*

"Listen Jill, I can explain!"

*They get interupted by Lisa and manage to get rid of her*

"Okay Jill, you go on ahead, I'll just stay here"

"Sure thing Barry! =D"

Yeah... that too. It looks as if they wanted to somehow put Lisa's storyline into the game without changing the original script that much. In the end you have those clusterfucks:
Wesker magically survives a very long fall
and
Jill shows how naive/forgiving she is
. It even spoils
Barry's death scene
making it pretty forgetful (
oh, he just felt and it's my fault because I left him unarmed against an invincible monster that can crush stones with her shackles; and here's a photo of him and his family -- how sad; but hey, at least I have his gun now! :D
). :/

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Looks like there's a patch on the steam version.

Edit - apparently they just added a June 2010 DX9 installer -_-

I disagree. While you will backtrack a lot more as Chris, him having more health, better aim (I found that it took me less ammo to kill a zombie when I was playing as Chris than when I was playing as Jill), a lighter and more shotgun shells is a blessing. Not to mention flash grenades with their guaranteed instant kills by head explosion.
Chris was the original Hard mode - start off with only a knife, no lock picks, no early shotgun, no grenade launcher, and less inventory space made for a tougher time.

Not to mention you can skip a boss with Jill, and in Remake you can get the Assault Shotgun much sooner than Chris as well.

Miguel81

bhd.exe_2015-02-05-09-30-02-226.jpg
bhd.exe_2015-02-05-09-30-14-160.jpg

Just finished up my Jill RS run and it really wasn't as difficult as I was expecting, and I got the best ending. Make sure not to carry around unnecessary things like ink ribbons since there are plenty scattered about.

Looking forward to using the Samurai Edge. Looks rad!

AHA-Lambda

Question regarding the PC version, I know this game is Steam Cloud enabled, is this done automatically or is that to do with the Save Upload feature in the options menu? (which seems to have something to do with RE.Net)

It even spoils
Barry's death scene
making it pretty forgetful (
oh, he just felt and it's my fault because I left him unarmed against an invincible monster that can crush stones with her shackles; and here's a photo of him and his family -- how sad; but hey, at least I have his gun now! :D
). :/

While I agree I can at least kind of see the intend behind it.
They did make Barry a lot more suspicious and shifty acting in REmake, the original had you eavesdrop on his conversation with Wesker but it was an optional scene and I'd say most people don't even know it's there and other than that, him working for Wesker at the end came out of nowhere. When you get the Barry death scene in REmake you're still supposed to think he was a bad guy. At least that's what I think was the reasoning for this, I still prefer how it's done in the original.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday it was red - but I had already picked up three glasses. Do you mean it is green until you pick up a glass?
That would be odd. I mean, I picked up none of the glasses playing with Chris (Rebecca didn't come), and still got the trophy. But yeah, if it's red, you gotta pick up something.

I was a bit paranoid for that trophy, I even backracked to the residence to get that "blocked" mark on the map in the Plant 42 room. Not necessary though.

That would be odd. I mean, I picked up none of the glasses playing with Chris (Rebecca didn't come), and still got the trophy. But yeah, if it's red, you gotta pick up something.

I was a bit paranoid for that trophy, I even backracked to the residence to get that "blocked" mark on the map in the Plant 42 room. Not necessary though.
Yeah when I played with Chris the room was green - but he can't pick up any of the glasses.

Question regarding the PC version, I know this game is Steam Cloud enabled, is this done automatically or is that to do with the Save Upload feature in the options menu? (which seems to have something to do with RE.Net)
Automatically as far as I can tell, I think the upload option only refers to RE.net.

ArjanN

The save upload thing in the menu is just a seperate RE.Net thing, that lets you see your stats online and stuff, nothing to do with Steam Cloud.

Steam Cloud should be enabled automatically, but if you're unsure you can just right click the game on steam -> properties -> updates, and there should be a checkmark next to Steam Cloud.

Cudder

I'm lamenting my Real Survivor play through. I beat the game in 2 hours 20 minutes on very easy, so I know exactly where to go, but km assuming on RS you'd need to explore to get ammo and more weapons to deal with the bosses? Or should I just treat it like a speed run and get through it as quickly as possible?

Also, would it be wise to pick one item chest in the mansion and just use that rather than scattering items all over the place?

I'm lamenting my Real Survivor play through. I beat the game in 2 hours 20 minutes on very easy, so I know exactly where to go, but km assuming on RS you'd need to explore to get ammo and more weapons to deal with the bosses? Or should I just treat it like a speed run and get through it as quickly as possible?

Also, would it be wise to pick one item chest in the mansion and just use that rather than scattering items all over the place?

Yes, you need to explore more since not all items are available. Most of the items that would benefit you in the game are either not there or there is just way less of it so you should not treat it as a speedrun. Also, yes. Choosing one safe box is much better and it'll help you with not backtracking too much.

Just finished, I'm a big RE fan but had actually never played the first game.

This game is legit, one of the best of all time.

Did a run on Easy as Chris, not super challenging but I get scared easy.

Is there enough of a difference that I should jump back in as Jill? or should I wait for the replay itch.

Grinchy

Banned
RE1 came out when I was like 13 or 14. I'm man enough now to admit that I was too scared of the game to finish it back then. I actually played more RE2. For whatever reason I found it less scary at the time.

So when I finish this game, it'll be my first time beating RE1. It has been a really, really awesome game. It holds up extremely well. Going through without a guide makes it even better.

Lum1n3s

So uhhhh... I just f'ed myself up on Hard Mode with Chris. I'm at the part right before the
1st Tyrant encounter
and I only have 1 bullet in my handgun, one in my self-defense gun (don't ask how I spent my other weapons ammo -____-) and my trusty survival knife. I also have 1 first aid spray as well as a mixed G+B herb. Gaf, w..t...F am I going to do????

*edit*
30c97524-0fdc-4db5-ad85-96ac7b7ec4a0.jpg

This is me currently in fight -____________-

*re-edit* nvm that was easy, I just had to get behind him and knife him to death lol.

Top Bottom