• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Sectus

This game (mechanics) really hasn't aged well, no hot swapping of weapons or reload outside of a menu is a chore. Heck, even pressing A to select combine and then selecting the weapon is a mission, what's wrong with pressing X to select and combine.

I wish they would have added a few modern flourishes (opinial, of course) to the modern control scheme. Aiming just feels dumb, either shoot the floor, ceiling or anywhere in front.

I'd have been very happy with classic and RE5 controls.

I'm currently stuck with a full inventory and no sure where to go, got killed with a spinning spike shield. Enjoying the game but controls just feel wrong in 2015.

You can press aim + run to reload outside menus.

As a fan of old-school RE, I love it. It's very heavy on backtracking, but it's some of the best backtracking ever seen in a game imo. It's very satisfying to turn such a complex environmental puzzle (and one that literally re-orients itself halfway through) into a streamlined, economical sprint. It's also one of the more interesting games in the series from a story point of view.
Thanks for the advice. I guess what did it for me 10+ years ago was that barrier of entry: I find there's tremendous enjoyment in learning and mastering a game but to do that, the game has to rope you in in the first place.

Coming from 5 RE playthroughs, this slope should be less steep, particularly as I've come to appreciate minimalism when it comes to inventory and killing enemies. I still suck at dodging zombies though.

This game (mechanics) really hasn't aged well, no hot swapping of weapons or reload outside of a menu is a chore. Heck, even pressing A to select combine and then selecting the weapon is a mission, what's wrong with pressing X to select and combine.

I wish they would have added a few modern flourishes (opinial, of course) to the modern control scheme. Aiming just feels dumb, either shoot the floor, ceiling or anywhere in front.

I'd have been very happy with classic and RE5 controls.

I'm currently stuck with a full inventory and no sure where to go, got killed with a spinning spike shield. Enjoying the game but controls just feel wrong in 2015.
I think there are a few things the game never spells out that you have to learn on your own and assuage most of your concerns. This is IMO of course but:
- you don't really need hot swapping as you don't really need weapons 80% of the time. Honestly, there's maybe 15-20 enemies in all the game that you need to kill to make things easier. Half of them are in the last level.
- as a result, you don't really need to overburden yourself with weapons and ammo. Typically, I'm absolutely convinced the handgun is useless outside of killing a couple of dogs to get the collar. That means potentially 2 slots freed - gun and ammo. Another example is the courtyard and residence: it's entirely possible to do them without a weapon (if you use V Jolt as Jill, otherwise, you'll need one for that boss).
- outside of the shotgun where I tend to put it upwards, I totally ignore vertical aiming. I still believe aiming is a bit of a red herring in this game.

Mr_Zombie

There is a dedicated reload button - just press it while aiming.
And you really don't need weapons swapping because most of the time you will only use one weapon at a time: handgun at the beginning of the game, shotgun later in the game and more powerful weapons (grenade launcher, magnum) against bosses. Because there really isn't that much enemies per room (or even in the entire game), you really don't need to constantly swap between weapons like in post-RE4 games.

And most of the time you only need to have two weapons with you: gun and shotgun (later in the game you will probably

Most of the time you only need to shoot forward. Aiming down is only required when you shoot zombies that are lying down or dogs when they are near you. Aiming up is only required against spiders that walk on ceiling and to headshot zombies using shotgun.

Jingo

So i finished my chris walktrough but i didnt get to fight tyrant at the end and there was no self destruction, i just flared the helicopter and it was end, what the hell? Is it because i let rebecca die in the beginning of the game? I played on normal difficult, someone please help, i saved all my magnum for the final fight, lool

Mr_Zombie

Yes, if you let Rebecca die there's no one who could start the self destruct system.
The same happens in Jill's scenario if you let Barry die - Wesker dies and thus can't start the self destruct system.

Jingo

Yes, if you let Rebecca die there's no one who could start the self destruct system.
The same happens in Jill's scenario if you let Barry die - Wesker dies and thus can't start the self destruct system.

Thank you,it was kind of a let down cause i had all that ammo for that final tyrant fight, you should had to fight him anyway, regards of the self mechanism or not, not gonna play the all game again just because of this final part, gonna start a jill playtrough now, is there any difference if you let the first guy to die, the one who needed the syrum?

Cudder

Just have to do the invisible enemy playthrough for my platinum. Maybe I'll do it tonight, I've beaten the game 7 times since release and just want to get this done lol.

AHA-Lambda

Man all these people who can finish Resi HD in less than 3 hours :/

I just finished my first playthrough of it with Jill on easy (think that was a mistake in hindsight but can't change it) and it took me 9 hours cos I had no idea where to go next most of the time :(

Footos22

I just finished my first playthrough of it with Jill on easy (think that was a mistake in hindsight but can't change it) and it took me 9 hours cos I had no idea where to go next most of the time :(

its not too bad once you know where to go. Its just knowing what to go for in order.
Chris
trigger zombie next to dining room.
main hall jills gun
up to arrow corridor to collect arrow. out other side, downstairs to graveyard get sword key
dog corridor
bathroom for old key
use old key to get chemical
save room for another old key
upstairs
dog whistle
cross main hall
sword key door
balcony use whistle
get armour key from trap room
richard corridor.
get serum
drop sword key in chest
use chemical get mask
get music sheet
go back to richard through dining room first floor. so you can secure yourself a shotgun later in the residence for plant 42.

etc

you can basically get to the residence in about half an hour

hey i noticed that checking out your profile today. nice work!

there are rumors about RE0? i would love that.

Cheers. I think someone on GAF noticed an icon for RE Zero on some promotional image. I know Zero isn't as good as REmake, but I'd love to play it again.

I used to own RE 1 to 4 on GameCube but sold my collection when the wife and I bought our first house.

I took my time with Chris. Savored the environments and atmosphere, visited every location, and tried to get every item. Did a speed run with Jill. Now bring on Billy and Rebecca!

Risible

Don't feel bad AT ALL. My first playthrough took me 16 hours :). Granted, I think I left it running for a few hours here and there, but my guess is it took me at least 10+ hours. I went through every nook and cranny of the game and got the good ending, so it was a lot of time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

CHC

Holy shit I forgot how hard this game was after not playing for many years. I had a really fucking long weekend so I sat down to play last night expecting a nostalgic romp, but came away feeling totally crushed and inadequate. Wrong game to unwind with, haha....

last night i got to the shark tank after having a weird amount of trouble navigating the residence. i did the stupid water pressure puzzle and walked past the huge dead shark and everything was cool, until i walked past him again and HE MANAGED TO COME BACK TO LIFE AND EAT ME IN A FOOT OF WATER. like thrashing around and shit, there was nothing i could do. it was hilarious. that's why you don't give a shark the t-virus.

last night i got to the shark tank after having a weird amount of trouble navigating the residence. i did the stupid water pressure puzzle and walked past the huge dead shark and everything was cool, until i walked past him again and HE MANAGED TO COME BACK TO LIFE AND EAT ME IN A FOOT OF WATER. like thrashing around and shit, there was nothing i could do. it was hilarious. that's why you don't give a shark the t-virus.

Yep. I learned that one the hard way as well in the original version. Now I always make sure to shoot it with the pistol before passing by.

Wasp

There's such a big difference between playing Jill on Easy and playing Chris on Normal.

With Jill on Easy I had more ammo and health items than I knew what to do with, I killed every single zombie I saw. Whereas with Chris on Normal I've ran away from at least half of the zombies yet I've only got 4 handgun bullets, zero health items and I'm currently up to the
saving Richard with serum
bit. I had to kill the
Cerberus for the collar
with a knife.

Holy fucking shit real survivor does NOT play around.

Jill can take 2 hits before dying? Godamn. I'm in love.
I'm not a glutton for punishment at all and take no pride in having a game make me suffer but honestly, after finishing RS, I came to the conclusion that it's how the game is meant to be played once you know how everything flows.

I still love the conceit of the game that basically these crazy scientists gave the T virus to every possible asshole creature just to see how that would go. Just because they could.
Wasps? Check. Spiders? Check. Snakes? Check. Sharks? Check.

Grinchy

Banned
Omg the thought of RE2 being remade today is just bonerific.

Just imagine how incredible the prerendered backgrounds and character models could look.

Neff

The question I frequently ask myself when the topic comes up... what would be the big 'Lisa Trevor' change to REmake 2? A new enemy? A new area? A new playable character?

the fucking dead ass shark killed me again!! i put four fucking grenades and six magnum rounds into it! is there a trick to getting around the shark??

Neff

the fucking dead ass shark killed me again!! i put four fucking grenades and six magnum rounds into it! is there a trick to getting around the shark??

You answered your own question above...

Or you can push the generator into the water and switch it on.

The question I frequently ask myself when the topic comes up... what would be the big 'Lisa Trevor' change to REmake 2? A new enemy? A new area? A new playable character?

they definitely would need another boss or 2. RE2 was too light on bosses. especially early on.

I've always thought I'd love to see one big scenario featuring the A & B games plus the opening cinematic as a playable section along with the cutscene when William Birkin injects himself.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

~You should end up crossing paths with Jill, and have a Nemesis fight~

Mr_Zombie

Omg the thought of RE2 being remade today is just bonerific.

Just imagine how incredible the prerendered backgrounds and character models could look.

You know, that's why the idea of potential REmake 2 doesn't excite me anymore. We already have updated models of RE2 staff (be it from Darkside Chronicles, RE4 or RE6) and already saw how the RPD and few other locations would look like with improved graphics (Darkside Chronicles again, Birkin's lab in RE Zero). With REmake it was a huge upgrade from early PSX graphics to a new GameCube game with its detailed animated backgrounds and character models that even today look pretty good. RE2 was already spoiled by Darkside Chronicles and other titles.

By the time Leon and Claire arrived to Raccoon City, Jill and Carlos were already at St. Michael Clock Tower.

Parsnip

As much as I'd love that, but doesn't RE2 take place when Jill is out cold? It's been a long time since I looked at any kind of timeline though, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

EDIT:
By the time Leon and Claire arrived to Raccoon City, Jill and Carlos were already at St. Michael Clock Tower.
Or this.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This so much.

What we'd likely get is a playable Sherry sequence as she runs and hides from Birkin.

Nekofrog

Banned
Just beat the game with a time of 2:38. Does the handgun reward show up in a box? I ask because the infinite rocket launcher was already in my inventory when I booted up my next game of Hard Mode Chris.

Also, does using the rewarded special weapons disable earning achievements for that run? IE if I were to do a hard mode run, would I not get the hard mode achievement if I used the rocket launcher?

Cudder

Just beat the game with a time of 2:38. Does the handgun reward show up in a box? I ask because the infinite rocket launcher was already in my inventory when I booted up my next game of Hard Mode Chris.

Also, does using the rewarded special weapons disable earning achievements for that run? IE if I were to do a hard mode run, would I not get the hard mode achievement if I used the rocket launcher?
It starts in your inventory, and no, special weapons don't disable any achievements.

Top Bottom