• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Era of Exclusive Video Game Deals Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

I dont think they're ending. But the terms exclusive and 3rd party in the same sentence no longer mean anything.

More like we will see A LOT of timed exclusives, mostly from 360, given Sony's primary focus on 1st party development.

If only, dreadfully-wrong-article-from-2008, if only.

Excuse the bump, but I didn't think a new thread would be worth this:
I think Exclusives should die out, from the point of view of consumers.

Obviously, from an economic point of view, software drives the console-makers' unit sales and so exclusivity benefits them the most.
But why do you want it?

If emulators can play every Playstation, Nintendo or Xbox game to date (with slight control compromise in the case of nintendo), and each of the major two console makers have similar performance output for their hardware, then why would you, as a consumer, want a new game to be released just for your preferred platform when there's no hardware limitation keeping it from others?
People should have no unfounded allegiance to a specific console maker, so it shouldn't matter

Honest question: why do you want games to be exclusive to your console?

The only thing I can think of is that having a bunch of games from past generations on that console brand would keep you wanting more games on that console brand.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned

Obviously, from an economic point of view, software drives the console-makers' unit sales and so exclusivity benefits them the most.
But why do you want it?

If emulators can play every Playstation, Nintendo or Xbox game to date (with slight control compromise in the case of nintendo), and each of the major two console makers have similar performance output for their hardware, then why would you, as a consumer, want a new game to be released just for your preferred platform when there's no hardware limitation keeping it from others?
People should have no unfounded allegiance to a specific console maker, so it shouldn't matter

The only thing I can think of is that having a bunch of games from past generations on that console brand would keep you wanting more games on that console brand.
Are you trying to get banned?

Anyway this thread has aged well lol.

rofif

Banned
Welcome to 2005.
excuse me ?
That was the most exclusives era. 360 and ps3 fighting with pc to the side.

oh fuck it's 2008 post

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Last edited:

djkimothy

That article made no sense and then the replies. Then I noticed this thread was from 2008! LOL.

Hi me from 2021! Things just go down hill from here.

GeorgPrime

Banned
i would tell a company "Jeah we can do an exclusive deal.... but.... the price depends on the amount of sold copies".

When i can sell 1.000.000 copies of it on PS 5 alone i will count it as 3 Million Copies if i would release it also on Xbox Series X and Switch at the same time.

So i sold 1.000.000 copies on PS 5 but i could have theoretically sold 3 millione copies on all systems. Lets give them a discount of 10 %. Then they have to pay me the sum of 2,700,000 Million sold copies. xD

The rest will be standard processes

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

But why do you want it?

Go back and look at how many third party multiplatform games have won GOTYs in the last few years. This site keeps track of ALL goty awards.

2020 Overall Winner​

2020 Overall Winner
(PS4)

2019 Overall Winner​

2019 Overall Winner
(PS4)

2018 Overall Winner​

2018 Overall Winner
(PS4)

2017 Overall Winner​

2017 Overall Winner
(NSW & WiiU)

2016 Overall Winner​

2016 Overall Winner
(PS4)

2015 Overall Winner​

2015 Overall Winner
(PC, PS4 & XBOne)

2014 Overall Winner​

2014 Overall Winner
(PC, PS3, PS4, XB360 & XBOne)

2013 Overall Winner​

2013 Overall Winner
(PS3)

I see only two multiplat games that have won GOTY. The last five years have all been exclusives. Why do you think that is?

Third party games are bound by deadlines, and other publisher directives that keep them from taking risks and getting released in a polished state. There is a reason why Ubisoft is the most productive publisher of last gen and was still not able to even get in GOTY conversations. They just churn out one forgettable game after another. Whereas Sony, MS and Nintendo are willing to let their devs take 5-6 years to get the game just right.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

But why do you want it?

YES! Yes, I want some games to be exclusive to the console. Most of the time, those are the best games. And it's like that for a reason.

S0ULZB0URNE

Not from this customers point of view.

This type of bumping(and bs) is borderline ban worthy bra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom