• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Reuters) Sony's Vita arrives just as market may be fading

Because these people aren't paid to write about video games. Most of them, besides Pachter, are mainly finance/business writers who chime in on anything major in the gaming industry. They really have no idea what they're talking about, and they don't bother researching the industry to find out.

There's a million things to speak gloom and doom on for the Vita if a writer wanted to do it. But instead we just get the same smartphone crap.

The problem is that the people who are paid to write about video games are taking the same exact position.

At this point, I have a serious question: how do people keep jobs and make money writing articles that seem out of touch with the possible markets? This whole phone/handheld shit is getting out of hand.

You're paid to hit biased perceptions of reality in that field. True soothsaying is dangerous.

All the people writing these articles sound like the only portable games they've played are on smartphones and they think the Vita and 3DS are playing the same kinds of games. I've been asked why Modern Warfare 3 can't just run on a tablet.

These are your paymasters, in other words.

GCX

Even if the 3DS sold 200 million units the analysts would only remember "that day of shame when Nintendo admited defeat and slashed the price of their failed handheld".

Foffy

Banned
You're paid to hit biased perceptions of reality in that field. True soothsaying is dangerous.

What annoys me more than anything is this stuff is now coming to sites focused on "game journalism". I think Gamespot in particular did something similar to this, using poor examples to justify why the Vita isn't worth it.

I don't even want a Vita right now, but I, and what I assume to be some here, has more to do with the games and less of other platforms. There's nothing that wows me of the launch window lineup, and that has nothing to do with a 3DS or an iOS platform.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
its ok guys, when a 600 dollar product comes out this summer that can do exactly the same as last year's model but better, vita will really fail, cause y'know, a 600 dollar item is totally going to sell more than a 250 dollar item based on price alone.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
play the damn thing than talk this is better in everyway over any handheld i prefer it over ps3 now

It will be a successful console just needs more and fresh ips

Kusagari

The problem is that the people who are paid to write about video games are taking the same exact position.

Most people who are paid to write about video games have no idea what they're talking about either :p.

I can't count how many articles I've read on gaming sites where they get the most obvious and well known facts completely wrong. Gaming journalism, from the gaming journalists themselves to these 'analysts' who chime in, is just a mess.

Davey Cakes

It's the daily Vita is doomed story. It's insane how much the press seems to be working against this device.
Reminds me of the last five years of Nintendo. Of course, it didn't stop their devices from becoming success stories.

Sometimes it's worth it to ignore the negative journalism.

Who cares? Game on what you want to game on. Are you going to let some analyst get in the way of your enjoyment of something. Especially an analyst whose only gaming comes from tablets and smartphones most likely.

The 3DS isn't going anywhere and neither is the Vita, neither are tablets or smart phones. Pick what you want to play on and enjoy.

All the people writing these articles sound like the only portable games they've played are on smartphones and they think the Vita and 3DS are playing the same kinds of games. I've been asked why Modern Warfare 3 can't just run on a tablet.

nobody plays mw3 on wii or nintendo ds

that's a next-gen game

At this point, I have a serious question: how do people keep jobs and make money writing articles that seem out of touch with the possible markets? This whole phone/handheld shit is getting out of hand.

Let me introduce you to the profession known as consulting and analysis.

Outside of the "analyst's" dumb comments I'm not sure what everyone thinks is so wrong about this article. Article is about the market in the US and despite the significant price cut, 3DS(and DS) hardware and software is still under Nintendo's expectations outside of Japan.

Vinci

Danish
What the fuck is this shit.

Actually, I don't have a problem with that comment. Nintendo did cut the price due to lackluster sales. My issue with the statement, however, is that it doesn't provide the result of Nintendo's action, nor the reason why the system was failing to sell at its original price - ie. it wasn't worth the premium Nintendo was asking for it. Even companies as big and successful as Nintendo can make pricing errors. Hell, most of them do.

Failed platform or not, I will purchase a Vita once the 1st revision hits and the price drops to $150 or close to that... assuming it gets jailbroken then.

I am not a handheld gamer at all, if I were I would buy one earlier.

Kusagari

Let me introduce you to the profession known as consulting and analysis.

Most analysts outside the game industry give actual reasons for things.

These people could say that Sony has no guaranteed hits to get them out of the hole; especially now that Nintendo has MH. They could talk about how shitty a job Sony has done of advertising the thing. There's a lot of reasons they could give for predicting bad news for the Vita.

Instead we get LOL SMARTPHONES!

The only real point they brought up was the 3DS, and of course they completely failed to mention the 3DS shooting off to heaven after the price drop.

Actually, I don't have a problem with that comment. Nintendo did cut the price due to lackluster sales. My issue with the statement, however, is that it doesn't provide the result of Nintendo's action, nor the reason why the system was failing to sell at its original price - ie. it wasn't worth the premium Nintendo was asking for it. Even companies as big and successful as Nintendo can make pricing errors. Hell, most of them do.

Of course it's a factually accurate statement. It's also one incredibly biased to the fallacious point the article is attempting to make.

Zee-Row

Banned
Smartphones are ideal for multimedia stuff like videos , photos and music. But as Video Game machines they will always be poor because of the lack of a real controller. Also why are Smartphones considered competition to Nintendo and Sony? Games have been on cellphones since the begining of the 2000s and going by their logic since those early phones played games i guess Nintendo lost the war back then too since the Cell phone to Gameboy ratio was higher.

Vinci

Danish
Most analysts outside the game industry give actual reasons for things.

These people could say that Sony has no guaranteed hits to get them out of the hole; especially now that Nintendo has MH. They could talk about how shitty a job Sony has done of advertising the thing. There's a lot of reasons they could give for predicting bad news for the Vita.

Instead we get LOL SMARTPHONES!

They could, but that sort of expert analysis is more valuable as a consultant. Or a GAF member. Don't expect mainstream analysts to be terribly comprehensive about issues pertaining to gaming hardware.

Foffy

Banned
Smartphones are ideal for multimedia stuff like videos , photos and music. But as Video Game machines they will always be poor because of the lack of a real controller. Also why are Smartphones considered competition to Nintendo and Sony? Games have been on cellphones since the begining of the 2000s and going by their logic since those early phones played games i guess Nintendo lost the war back then too since the Cell phone to Gameboy ratio was higher.

Apple. Google. The fact these companies are in the mobile market seems to be the sole reason people are now saying phones>handhelds. It's the fandom those companies get that contributes a lot to it.

EDIT: Look at TVs. These same companies are getting into those markets, and you have a very similar demographic saying that those TVs and potential mobile support for them will even kill consoles.

I'd like to talk to one of these "analysts" for five minutes.

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that they really don't care. These articles come across as poorly researched because they are. A conclusion is drawn and then they find what they need to support that theory when it should be vice versa.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Failed platform or not, I will purchase a Vita once the 1st revision hits and the price drops to $150 or close to that... assuming it gets jailbroken then.

I am not a handheld gamer at all, if I were I would buy one earlier.

Personally I hope it never gets jailbroken. The platform will have software sales problems the way it is. Add in piracy and the system will be dead. Sony does not have the money to support a money losing system for very long.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Smartphone gaming is the equivalent of kicking a can down the road. Something to keep my brain from getting numb with boredom. Playing on a handheld is like playing sports or watching a movie, something I do because I want to have fun or want to be engaged.

One isn't going to destroy the other.

Personally I hope it never gets jailbroken. The platform will have software sales problems the way it is. Add in piracy and the system will be dead. Sony does not have the money to support a money losing system for very long.

But...but...I want my SNES emulator on that sweet OLED screen :'(

I hate how these articles gripe about prices nonstop and then compare it to the iPad. They really need to start emphasizing that these price comparisons are based on subjective value perspectives, not fact. Eh, well fact isn't the right word, but I think people understand what I mean.

Kusagari

The 79 buck comment really shows how out of touch these guys are. They should make the Vita cheaper than the DS still is?

LOL ok.

I hate how these articles gripe about prices nonstop and then compare it to the iPad. They really need to start emphasizing that these price comparisons are based on subjective value perspectives, not fact. Eh, well fact isn't the right word, but I think people understand what I mean.

Indeed.
A high-end piece of gaming handheld kit: Sell that shit for a dollar!
A yearly tablet from Apple: YAY! HERE'S $600!!

I'm assuming he also wants buttons, another component necessary to enjoying video games.

Yessir. I also want a shiny new emulator using the Vita's specs on it :D

Amory

This is the same argument made against the vita in every news article, it's getting boring.

The vita is awesome. I don't think it's gonna have a short life, but even if it does I'm glad I bought one. Sleek as all hell. I wish I were playing it now... but I still have 8 and a half more hours of work. :-(

Bah, we need something badass like the Vita, iphone and ipad games are not that, we need that Ferrari in this game, so we just stand still, got to take it to the next level with this.

Outside of the "analyst's" dumb comments I'm not sure what everyone thinks is so wrong about this article. Article is about the market in the US and despite the significant price cut, 3DS(and DS) hardware and software is still under Nintendo's expectations outside of Japan.

I have the same problem with this article that I have with almost every single one of its brethren. Nothing written substantially suggests the 3DS or Vita will be "last of its breed." Making that the central thrust of the story is improper.

Top Bottom