• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review Thread - Nex Machina: Death Machine (PS4/PC/Housemarque + Eugene Jarvis)

drotahorror

Thanks for the thread, almost was about to make one. Someone said the game wasn't big enough to get a review thread. I beg to differ.

I'm avoiding looking too much into it, just listening to ACG's review (not watching).

The game being 900p on base PS4 is a bit disappointing.

But everything else about the game seems like a lot of fun so I can't complain.

Push Square: 9/10

Nex Machina is everything that an arcade game should be: addictive and accessible yet bursting with hidden depth. Housemarque continues to be the master of the dual-joystick shooter with a sublime effort that harks back to the coin-op glory days of yesteryear. This is a near-perfect complement to the ridiculously good Resogun, and deserves to find a place among your PS4's hard drive space.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/nex_machina

bobawesome

Cool, an additional 10% off on Steam for owning Outland (for a total of 30% off until July 5th). Not bad. I may have to pick this up.

The game being 900p on base PS4 is a bit disappointing.

But everything else about the game seems like a lot of fun so I can't complain.

I guess it had to be 900p to keep a locked 60fps, does anyone know what the Pro is outputting? and does the game have super sampling (the fact we need to ask is ridicules)

Where is that stated?

I guess it had to be 900p to keep a locked 60fps, does anyone know what the Pro is outputting? and does the game have super sampling (the fact we need to ask is ridicules)

Here: http://p4gamers.com/nex-machina-review-twin-stick-awesomeness/

P4gamers.com said:
On the regular Playstation 4 you get a 900p or 1600×900 resolution. On the Playstation 4 Pro you get a native 1080p image if you are using an 1080p set. If you’re a 4K TV owner you get a nice boost with Nex Machina, running at 3360×1890. Not quite Native 4K but the game still looks amazingly sharp on a 4K screen.

Azuardo

Alright, my review:

Cubed3: 8/10 / Great

A highly intense arcade shoot-fest, the combination of the talent at Housemarque and the expertise of Robotron and Smash TV creator Eugene Jarvis has come together to deliver another exemplary title in the Finnish developer's catalogue. The faster paced gameplay and tighter areas over that of previous game Alienation pile the pressure on, whilst the strategic edge of trying to keep score multipliers going for as long as possible adds another layer to the bullet mayhem on show. One or two extra levels and online co-op really would have iced the Nex Machina cake, but either way, this is not to be missed by any shoot 'em up fan.

Looking great so far. Gotta purchase thia after work today...on PC of course.

Let's all try to save Housemarque games from fading away.

klier

Nah they don't need them, I'm in this for single-player.

Singleplayer for a Housemarque game...... are you for real????

Wait... no online co-op either?

Hmm. Might hold off then.

Indeed. Would have been day ZERO otherwise. Playing this alone is not going to be fun however.
I can't believe people are not vocal about this. I mean, because of multiplayer online, I still play Resogun almost daily.

MrS

Banned
Singleplayer for a Housemarque game...... are you for real????
Resogun and Super Stardust HD are the best Housemarque games and they're all perfect single player experiences. Based on what I've played of Nex Machina, it's no different.

Rodelero

Can't leave that responsabilty to devs. Maybe Sony will include in the next update, hoping that come soon.

I'm starting to wonder whether the reason so many games aren't doing it is because Sony has informed them they're working on a system level solution. Then again, it somewhat reminds me of what happened to Halo 3's clan system.

Fisty

Fuck sake Sony, you need to sort out System level Supersampling ASAP.

Ehhh that didn't seem like a very definitive statement, I don't know if they are confident if it's super-sampling or not. Technically every PS4 Pro game is 1080p when hooked up to a 1080p TV, and Resogun has supersampling iirc. Will wait for the final verdict before panicking

klier

Well yes these games are fun in singleplayer for about a week or two.

After that online multiplayer is what keeps them fun for me.

Like I already said, I got Resogun for free when it was a free PSN game in the beginning of the PS4, and I STILL play it frequently. Because of online co-op!

Alienation had online co-op. Nobody bought it, everybody demanded couch co-op. They can't win.

Nonsense. Both Zombination and Alienation shine in online multiplayer.

I am a working man. I am not in a position to invite people over at 10 PM on a Tuesday working day to play some Resogun or Alienation together. I want to be able to do that online.

Utter nonsense to have no online multiplayer/co-op. Utter nonsense.

WillySJ3

Banned
Played both Resogun and SuperStardust HD single player and loved them both. Online co-op is good but doesn't define the games fun factor on it's own to me ;)

Same for me. Resogun, Superstardust and Outland are great SP experience, and Dead Nation / Alienation are good for co-op online.

I'll be trying to get some good scores in Nex Machina, so I'll be playing this alone most of the time.

I thought for sure this would have online coop because of how fun Alienation was. Have they commented on online coop? Most likely a deal breaker for me.

sheaaaa

Well yes these games are fun in singleplayer for about a week or two.

After that online multiplayer is what keeps them fun for me.

Like I already said, I got Resogun for free when it was a free PSN game in the beginning of the PS4, and I STILL play it frequently. Because of online co-op!

I am a working man. I am not in a position to invite people over at 10 PM on a Tuesday working day to play some Resogun or Alienation together. I want to be able to do that online.

Then this isn't the game for you? But saying that Housemarque games need multi and aren't fun for long without is rubbish.

MrS

Banned

Vote with your wallet then. I'll be playing and enjoying the SP Nex Machina experience. Clearly it's not nonsense because the devs thought their resources would be better spent delivering couch co-op as opposed to online co-op. You know more than the devs about what's best for Nex Machina, I presume?

IbukiLordSA

No story LOL

If Tetris or Pacman came out today they'd get docked points for having no story too

Totally different games, there isn't even a screen of text explaining anything here. You don't know why you fight the robots or what happened outside of the teaser trailers or reading something online. In fact even if they just added in that animated teaser stuff it would have been great as that can still tell a story, could have added in minor things. I don't need to know why I am putting a square block next to a rectangle block, I would however love to know what happened here especially considering everything else is so good from a gameplay and sound point of view.

Top Bottom