• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review Thread - Nex Machina: Death Machine (PS4/PC/Housemarque + Eugene Jarvis)

samred

just screamed through a couple of levels at 4K/60 on PC. I would've gone to bed an hour ago if it wasn't for this awesomeness.

Munter

Bought it on Steam, but it isn't allowing me to install it. Is it locked until a certain time does anyone know?

zenspider

Totally different games, there isn't even a screen of text explaining anything here. You don't know why you fight the robots or what happened outside of the teaser trailers or reading something online. In fact even if they just added in that animated teaser stuff it would have been great as that can still tell a story, could have added in minor things. I don't need to know why I am putting a square block next to a rectangle block, I would however love to know what happened here especially considering everything else is so good from a gameplay and sound point of view.

I fight the robots to get points! Kids these days... "What's my motiviation?" You sound like a diva!

I kid.

For some reason I thought this game would have a story, but I'm not mad at all it doesn't.

I wish there was a .gif from Game of Thrones with Karstark and Robb talking on the way to the Riverlands:

"Story is not a distraction."

"Will it increase our points?"

"No."

"Then it's a distraction."

dogen

Definitely voxel in Nex Machina. Uses an upgraded Resogun engine.

There is a fair bit. Quite a few destructible blocks, pillars and walls that hide secret exits or humans to save. The main walls and structures of the arena are fixed tho. But it rewards to try to shoot everything lol

Didn't that one blog post say that they're just cube shaped particles?

And I'm pretty sure the level geometry is SDF based.

ghibli99

Played for about 45 minutes last night. Awesome game, tough as nails, I like the respawn system, looks great (although obviously not as sharp as Resogun on Pro), action is intense from the outset, slightly less "readable" than Resogun, but improves upon that formula in several ways that makes it feel more fluid/natural to me. Makes me realize how few truly excellent games of this type there are... or if there are, I haven't been paying too close attention.

Is there HDR in this game?
Yes, it enabled on my TV automatically. (Edit: PS4 Pro, doubt it on PC)

Top Bottom