• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review Thread - Nex Machina: Death Machine (PS4/PC/Housemarque + Eugene Jarvis)

Cyberia

I’d say the only shame is that there is no online co-op, only local. Hopefully it can get added in the future, because I reckon this would be even more fun with mates. But, that does very little to take away from the great time I’ve had with New Machina, and I suspect I’ll be playing it for quite a while yet.

Housemarque are the kings of the shoot-em-up genre and New Machina is perhaps the brightest jewel in their crown.

http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/nex-machina-review/

9/10

drotahorror

Totally different games, there isn't even a screen of text explaining anything here. You don't know why you fight the robots or what happened outside of the teaser trailers or reading something online. In fact even if they just added in that animated teaser stuff it would have been great as that can still tell a story, could have added in minor things. I don't need to know why I am putting a square block next to a rectangle block, I would however love to know what happened here especially considering everything else is so good from a gameplay and sound point of view.

Just like Resogun, you're saving humans. Do you need any more reason to kill?

Azuardo

Ahh, man, looks like the online leaderboards have been reset for launch. I thought I had a couple of nice scores in there :p

MrS

Banned
Totally different games, there isn't even a screen of text explaining anything here. You don't know why you fight the robots or what happened outside of the teaser trailers or reading something online. In fact even if they just added in that animated teaser stuff it would have been great as that can still tell a story, could have added in minor things. I don't need to know why I am putting a square block next to a rectangle block, I would however love to know what happened here especially considering everything else is so good from a gameplay and sound point of view.
Not every game needs to have a story though. It's a shoot em up. You know it's a shoot em up. Look at Resogun. Look at Super Stardust HD. It seems mad to me to have 'no story' as a negative for a shoot em up. That's just my opinion. I respect that yours differs from mine.

Aceofspades

Banned
What are the differences between Nex Machina and Alienation?

I tried Alienation last year but didn't get much enjoyment out of it. I loved Resogun though.

klier

Then this isn't the game for you? But saying that Housemarque games need multi and aren't fun for long without is rubbish.

Vote with your wallet then. I'll be playing and enjoying the SP Nex Machina experience. Clearly it's not nonsense because the devs thought their resources would be better spent delivering couch co-op as opposed to online co-op. You know more than the devs about what's best for Nex Machina, I presume?

But I absolutely love what I am seeing and really want to buy it.

I probably will when I get home from work, but not being able to play this with my buddies is such a downer.
Also, what's best would be the option for both online and local. They picked the wrong option, so yes, I know more than the developers.

IbukiLordSA

Not every game needs to have a story though. It's a shoot em up. You know it's a shoot em up. Look at Resogun. Look at Super Stardust HD. It seems mad to me to have 'no story' as a negative for a shoot em up. That's just my opinion. I respect that yours differs from mine.

It's mad to me that a lot of people are saying they want to play this but they will just wait for it to hit PS+ like every other Housemarque game.

Just because it's a shoot-em-up doesn't mean they should just ignore things because adding a couple pages of text here or there or a little animation could elevate a game above the normal players eyes.

Also I am in total agreement with you, it doesn't need a story mode but from a review point of view it does because without things that that the normal gamer will just have the views as per my first sentence.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Eugene Jarvis involvement makes this a big deal by itself.

The man is a true legend. Robotron 2084 basically invented* and perfected the twin-stick shooter as we know it 35 years ago.

*Sorry Space Dungeon fans, although that game used twin sticks first it lacks the singular focus on arena blasting that Robotron has.

As expected, another Housemarque classic.
Being on pc also will hopefully mean it won't be as ignored as their last game - the excellent Alienation.

benzopil

The game is really amazing but
garbage bossfights from world 3 to 5 are just infuriating and not fun. Like Furi bosses but unfair. And I finished Furi.

I want to git gud at this game, find all secrets etc because levels by themselves are great most of the time. But after that bossfight happens and ruins everything. World 5 boss is just terrible even on Normal.

Amneisac

It's funny how tastes are different. Alienation and Dead Nation are far and away my two favorite Housemarque games. I'm thinking this might be too bullethell for me and I'm going to pass at least until it's on psplus or deep steam discount.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Curious! Loved Resogun, so this is wishlisted

Smokey

Glad to see it reviewing well, as I noticed a lack of hype. I didn't expect anything else tbh. I've got it preordered and ready go on Steam.

mollipen

I'm not ready to write up a review just yet, but I'm loving it. I think it's more "intense" than Reso or SSHD, in terms of how much pressure/stress you feel at any given moment. Part of that is there's a lot of secrets in the game, so if you're going for score runs, you have a lot to juggle / keep in mind.

So, once the dust settles, and some time passes, why you'll go back to Nex might be a little different than the others. SSHD is more a "relax and blow things up" game for me, where I think this will be more a "want to feel pressure" game (with Reso coming in between them).

Also, I disagree with benzopil's post a few up.

bombshell

Housemarque with another hit!

I have already pre-loaded it with the pre-order discount. It's 20% off for PS+ members until midnight tonight.

autoduelist

Already purchased. The beta was pretty great so I'm very much looking forward to this!

In related news, Robotron 2084 is the best arcade game ever made.

Housemarque + Jarvis = instabuy. I can second this - Robotron 2084 is the best arcade game ever made, and Housemarque is a seal of quality.

I wouldn't miss this for the world.

hydruxo

Singleplayer for a Housemarque game...... are you for real????

Indeed. Would have been day ZERO otherwise. Playing this alone is not going to be fun however.
I can't believe people are not vocal about this. I mean, because of multiplayer online, I still play Resogun almost daily.

Resogun was fantastic in single player, I'd actually venture a guess that majority of people who played that game did so in SP.

How much voxel destruction is there? Comparable to Resogun? The feedback in environments and enemies crumbling and shockwaves rumbling through the world added so much to make Resogun so satisfying

so you're saying a game that was running locked 60 6 months before release could run worse now? ok.....

Sure, if they've added a lot more enemies, special effects, etc., especially in later levels. And maybe analysis proved that the resolution downscale didn't effect the image quality that much. As someone who has played the beta on the PS4, it looked tremendous and regardless of the actual resolution, it's deserving of a purchase.

How much voxel destruction is there? Comparable to Resogun? The feedback in environments and enemies crumbling and shockwaves rumbling through the world added so much to make Resogun so satisfying

Are those voxels tho? I read a panel on E3 where they said that Matterfall doesn't have voxels, but they didn't talk about Nex Machina.

Top Bottom