• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review Thread - Nex Machina: Death Machine (PS4/PC/Housemarque + Eugene Jarvis)

MrS

Banned
How much voxel destruction is there? Comparable to Resogun? The feedback in environments and enemies crumbling and shockwaves rumbling through the world added so much to make Resogun so satisfying
A lot. I recommend watching Karak's review for a taste.

Azuardo

How much voxel destruction is there? Comparable to Resogun? The feedback in environments and enemies crumbling and shockwaves rumbling through the world added so much to make Resogun so satisfying

Are those voxels tho? I read a panel on E3 where they said that Matterfall doesn't have voxels, but they didn't talk about Nex Machina.

Definitely voxel in Nex Machina. Uses an upgraded Resogun engine.

There is a fair bit. Quite a few destructible blocks, pillars and walls that hide secret exits or humans to save. The main walls and structures of the arena are fixed tho. But it rewards to try to shoot everything lol

DireStr8s

Ha, I might be the only person in the world who wishes they would tone that stuff down.

Great games nonetheless. Really caught up in Neon Chrome right now so I might wait on this.

autoduelist

I had no doubt that would be great. Even when Housemarque misses (Dead Nation, Alienation), they are still top notch games. When they hit, they are brilliant. My preload is waiting!

I wouldn't call them misses. I loved both.

Alienation had online co-op. Nobody bought it, everybody demanded couch co-op. They can't win.

I didn't realize Alienation didn't do well.... I loved that game. I guess it's unlikely we'll see a sequel?

Singleplayer for a Housemarque game...... are you for real????

Why in the world would I want someone else messing up my score multiplier?

Totally different games, there isn't even a screen of text explaining anything here. You don't know why you fight the robots or what happened outside of the teaser trailers or reading something online. In fact even if they just added in that animated teaser stuff it would have been great as that can still tell a story, could have added in minor things. I don't need to know why I am putting a square block next to a rectangle block, I would however love to know what happened here especially considering everything else is so good from a gameplay and sound point of view.

Inspired by his never ending quest for progress, in 2084 man perfects the [NEX MACHINA]: a robot species so advanced that man is inferior to his own creation. Guided by their infallible logic, the [NEX MACHINA] conclude: The human race is inefficient, and therefore must be destroyed.

You are the last hope of mankind. Due to a genetic engineering error, you possess superhuman powers. Your mission is to stop the [NEX MACHINA], and save the last human family: Mommy, Daddy, and Mikey.

It's mad to me that a lot of people are saying they want to play this but they will just wait for it to hit PS+ like every other Housemarque game.

Just because it's a shoot-em-up doesn't mean they should just ignore things because adding a couple pages of text here or there or a little animation could elevate a game above the normal players eyes.

Also I am in total agreement with you, it doesn't need a story mode but from a review point of view it does because without things that that the normal gamer will just have the views as per my first sentence.

I am so glad pure arcade games shed deep story. I do not need to know why I'm saving humans beyond 'zombies/aliens/robots/baddies' attacking.

Totally different games, there isn't even a screen of text explaining anything here. You don't know why you fight the robots or what happened outside of the teaser trailers or reading something online. In fact even if they just added in that animated teaser stuff it would have been great as that can still tell a story, could have added in minor things. I don't need to know why I am putting a square block next to a rectangle block, I would however love to know what happened here especially considering everything else is so good from a gameplay and sound point of view.
There are robots. There are people in danger. Destroy the robots to save the people

baberunisei

Nice to see the good scores. Already preordered it and was hoping a return to form from Housemarque after not liking Alienation that much. Also very excited for Matterfall, since Outland is one of my GOATs

Gitaroo

I just asked on the twitch stream and they said it's higher res (still 60fps) on PS4 Pro, and unlocked framerate on PC.

Aside from that, all versions are identical in terms of visuals and effects.

they said anything about HDR support on PC?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
21:9 support on PC?

Tempted on console for a hopefully locked frame rate, unless performance on PC is enough to lock it easily enough (gtx 1080)

ron_bato

Great reviews, this has flown under the radar, but I always knew this was going to be an excellent Housemarque game.

Can't wait to play later!

Tubie

Had no idea this was coming out tomorrow.

Lovely surprise, Housemarque games for me are instant buy after Resogun.

Jonboy

Wow...this is awesome. So so good. Definitely a return to form for Housemarque. Feels much more like Resogun than Alienation, but you can definitely see some small influences from Alienation and Dead Nation in there...but in a good way. That's coming from some one who didn't really like Alienation all that much.

Nex Machina is going to be a highly replayable game. I only played for a bit tonight, but every level shows you at the end how much you're missing. Can't wait to go back to try and find everything.

kyser73

People saying a Eugene Jarvis game needs a story?

W
T
F

The guy wrote Defender & Robotron 2084. He's a fucking GOD among game designers.

His games don't need stories, or little animations.

Poppyseed

Looks so good. Gotta co-op this one when I get a chance.

Crazy that Matterfall is coming out from them in August too (I think).

Preordered this ages ago and was surprised when it said it was ready for play. Was like OMG I TOTALLY FORGOT!

Anyway, played a bunch of local coop and single player on my PS4 Pro. Definitely not native 4K, but runs 60fps with HDR, and I've not seen any frame drops. This game is freaking addictive, and is easily one of my favorite titles of the year so far. It's pure arcade awesomeness. The swooping camera between levels is breathtaking!

I wouldn't call them misses. I loved both.

I enjoy all Housemarque games, but some don't have the same spark. Compared to their other titles, I would say that Dead Nation and Alienation are lower tier, but I think many developers would kill to have games as good as them.

Top Bottom