• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard 'Hamster' Hammond of The Grand Tour thinks ice cream is for homosexuals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

That's exactly what you said.

You tried to say that 2 situations that aren't always easy to avoid that both end up in ridicule, mocking and being treated like general shit aren't comparable because one isn't based on sexual orientation.

Nope I didn't say that at all, seems like you just make up stuff to suit your argument.

LGBT+ have been treated like scum for years and still are now, religious people hate us and many don't think we should even be alive. Some even think we have a mental illness or the devil has got us because we aren't hetro. Some even try to "fix us". In many countries people are hunted down and killed for being LGBT+.

People that are overweight have no way been treated as badly , many people that are over weight can actually do something about it (yes some have medical conditions etc). But being LGBT+ is not a health condition or something that we have a choice over. We LGBT+ are born how we are and get treated like shit for it. To compare being over weight to how the LGBT+ community has been treated is crazy.

Richard Hammond is not a comedian, and what he said is not comedy.

Comedy is an intelligent craft.

He's getting paid a lot of money to make jokes on a TV show. The mass appeal of Top Gear/Grand Tour is its ability to make people laugh. It's him and two other middle aged men playing characters. That's the reality of it - rightly or wrongly.

I am definitely leaning towards the whole purpose of the joke, being the utter absurdity of it (its fucking ice cream!).

It absolutely wasn't smart or witty, but part of me wonders whether this has got so much traction in the press because of who they are, and not what specifically was said (e.g. they're up to their old tricks...!).

That being said, I do hope that we get something a bit more thought out in future, because the show itself is great.

Syder

Richard Hammond isn't, has never been and never will be funny.

This is a man desperate to be considered as funny as his two co-hosts trying desperately to get approval. Here's 'being a celebrity 101' rule no.1 don't make jokes about sexuality. Easy to follow. I don't believe the joke was extremely offensive, just unfunny and inappropriate and it's nothing less than I'd expect from Brummie Napoleon.

Moron.

Button

Banned
Who's that British comedian who had an excellent bit on Top Gear? He used "the implied values and rhetoric of Top Gear" to rip them to pieces.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Richard Hammond isn't, has never been and never will be funny.

This is a man desperate to be considered as funny as his two co-hosts trying desperately to get approval. Here's 'being a celebrity 101' rule no.1 don't make jokes about sexuality. Easy to follow. I don't believe the joke was extremely offensive, just unfunny and inappropriate and it's nothing less than I'd expect from Brummie Napoleon.

Moron.
Yeah, he hosts one of those "Wipeout" style shows and he's just so awkward and unlikable.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
in't the dynamic that one of them has to say something that is obviously wrong so the the other two can pile on him? They do that for everything.

Yup, and it's a long-standing Top Gear tradition. There's always something absurdly, unambiguously (just like this) nonsensical one says like automatic gearboxes will kill your family or something and then the other two rip on how terrible that sentiment is.

So apparently not an actual dig at homosexuals or ice cream lovers, but a reference to an infamous Finnish ice cream advert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Dyjq8jSFQ

I didn't even know it was referencing a Finnish TV advert until now either, I should have known given how there's usually quite a bit of a nuance/referencing going on when they usually do this, often with respect to British happenings, and as an international viewer you'd always know when it was a local reference too because you wouldn't get it but the audience would be in stitches, like this past episode of TGT.

Honestly, I'm surprised this has caused so much of a stir but I think now I understand outrage culture and how fast it can produce hate not dissimilar to that it claims to protest a bit more than I did a few days ago.

Syder

in't the dynamic that one of them has to say something that is obviously wrong so the the other two can pile on him? They do that for everything.
Maybe they should avoid throwing oppressed minorities under the bus for the benefit of a joke that isn't even funny next time.
Yeah, he hosts one of those "Wipeout" style shows and he's just so awkward and unlikable.
Yup. Ever since Hammond joined the TG cast I've hoped he'd leave at some point.

nded

I feel like the "joke" was specifically written not to be funny but to stir up controversy and draw attention to the show at any cost. I kinda like TG/GT, but it annoys when they pull shit like this.

Syder

I feel like the "joke" was specifically written not to be funny but to stir up controversy and draw attention to the show at any cost. I kinda like TG/GT, but it annoys when they pull shit like this.
Which is dumb because without all the bullshit it's a good show.

yHkBDk5.jpg

And there it is folks.

I didn't even know it was referencing a Finnish TV advert until now either.

The bloody hell it was. They were not referencing an obscure finnish tv commercial from six years ago. Hammond is saying he doesn't want to suck on a magnum while driving his car because it's gay. The hell is going on here with people ready to believe anything but the notion that a guy who made jokes about lazy mexicans is currently making jokes about gay panic.

It's hard for me to believe that the joke was in reference to the commercial posted earlier, when none of the bit even includes Hammond or the other guys referencing that brand or that commercial. And given that the show is being watched globally, it seems - at best - absolutely idiotic to reference such a generally unknown commercial. But *shrug* maybe I'm wrong.

Either way, the joke was bad and like others have pointed out, the crux of it is with Hammond framing homosexuality in a pejorative way. It'd be like someone saying "Yeah, I don't like eating chips. Well, you know... black people like to eat chips. And that's just not for me."

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The bloody hell it was. They were not referencing an obscure finnish tv commercial from six years ago. Hammond is saying he doesn't want to suck on a magnum while driving his car because it's gay. The hell is going on here with people ready to believe anything but the notion that a guy who made jokes about lazy mexicans is currently making jokes about gay panic.
Who is panicking? Or are you just referring to peple on both "sides" of the argument here polishing their own confirmation biases?

I don't know enough about Finnish culture to know how obscure that was (which people seem to be fairly certain it is for some reason? With only a sample of only 2 or so Finnish posters chiming in period?), let alone how it wound up on Wilman's desk and onto the show to condemn him as a homophobe or exonerate him, and I have my skepticism about the merit of every 2c in this thread as well.

But I love playing devil's advocate, and what I do know a little bit about as a long-time fan of the show is that said joke in question is pretty much identical in format to every other instance of this form of satire they usually do. He's playing the fool, and it's not always him (most often May). When I watched the episode for the first time a few days ago I thought it was pretty clear that the homophobe character Richard was was the butt of the joke because... well that's the whole premise of it all? I mean, the gag(s are) is scripted such that one old idiots presents a completely outrageous and nonsensical opinion -and I think at this point it's good to take stock that in this case it's implying that ice cream is phallic- then the other two temporarily subvert being idiotic old men and take on more contrary, more modern or normative perspectives and berate the fool on how stupid, old, out of touch men he is (which is almost verbatim how they describe the show during press because that's their humorous tone, "three old idiots fall over a lot").

Whether it comes from a place of malice or not, I don't know. And yes, again as a long time fan of the show, I'm well aware of the countless explicit and implicit xenophobic directions their humour takes (mostly towards Germans and Americans; also we are talking about a show where the lead was fired in part for using racial slurs). But with respect to homophobia specifically (which is.. not racism), there are conclusions being made from assumptions here, and laying it all out on the table I think there's a decent case for both sides but I'm more comfortable claiming ignorance here than making a bunch of assumptions and claiming omniscience. Also, this scenario in eerily reminiscent of how the whole Argentina fiasco blew up disproportionately.

Old man yelling at cloud part of my post:
But more importantly, this thread is a hallmark example of why arguing on the Internet leads to pretty much nothing but polarization and misery. Zero margin for context, zero tolerance for information that does not self-fulfill, zero admission of ignorance in favour of certainty, zero nuance. I already regret posting in here because by playing Devil's Advocate on some (IMO) poor assumptions alone people will take a leap of logic and assume I'm defending homophobia or something.

It's hard for me to believe that the joke was in reference to the commercial posted earlier, when none of the bit even includes Hammond or the other guys referencing that brand or that commercial. And given that the show is being watched globally, it seems - at best - absolutely idiotic to reference such a generally unknown commercial. But *shrug* maybe I'm wrong.

Either way, the joke was bad and like others have pointed out, the crux of it is with Hammond framing homosexuality in a pejorative way. It'd be like someone saying "Yeah, I don't like eating chips. Well, you know... black people like to eat chips. And that's just not for me."
Even after Top Gear exploded globally, they would still use local in-jokes. In almost every episode actually, because the introductions of The Stig were usually references to local news. Also, when interviewed during the press tour for The Grand Tour, they were pretty frequently asked if they would change their content or jokes to appeal internationally, they said they wouldn't because even when Top Gear went international it didn't really make a difference.

But yeah, like I mentioned above that comes with it's own set of prejudices/biases.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Yeah I did a double take when he said that in the episode, it was a really stupid comment. If liking ice cream makes you gay, then I guess I'm gay.

Opened this thread just as I was sitting down with a mug of kirklands super creamy vanilla ice cream. Finished all three scoops and ... nope still don't feel the need for penis, other than my own. You know what I mean. Now I'm out of ice cream.

Fuck off with this defence of blatantly homophobic straight guys. "Look, there's this one guy who say homophobic shit but the other two straight guys put him in his place so that's okay!" which isn't even what happened. Fuck, as a bunch of privileged white shits who've made dubious comments in regards to people in the past they shouldn't even mention minorities. Nobody should be attempting to justify this shit in 2016.

Who is panicking? Or are you just referring to peple on both "sides" of the argument here polishing their own confirmation biases?

"gay panic" in this case refers to the foundation of Hammond's jibe regarding not wanting to eat a frozen confection. "I'm straight and adult and male, no way can I eat something straight and long!"

I get the joke, I really do, Hammond sets himself up to say something stupid and the others react to hit. Yuk yuk. I just want people to start being a little more honest with themselves, Hammond and Clarkson have a considerable history of punching down with their humor, and the essense of Hammond's bit in this is 'boy who wants to act like those homosexuals am I right guys?' is tone deaf and crappy and can't be brushed aside with 'well that globe trotting 47 year old multimillionaire gobshite couldn't have possibly known any better, I mean sure he's sometimes said some awful bigoted shit in the past but nah he wouldn't cross that line with gays c'mon.'

It's fine if you want to give him unlimited latitude but throwing up paper thin shit like 'oh it's a finnish ice cream commercial duh guys can't you take a joke.' is bullshit and barely rises to the standard of devil's advocate. Devil's advocate doesn't mean 'but what if it was this incredibly unlikely thing someone randomly threw into the discussion?'

MarveI

This doesn't even make sense. You don't suck ice creams, you eat them, you lick them.

And before anyone says you can lick, eat
fRfLrLc.jpg

You'd be right but I would say it's even more suitable for

ndNJyg2.jpg

Amalthea

Banned
If you see something even as mundane as eating ice cream as gay then it's propably better time to do some soul searching about yourself.

Oh Mr. Ambassador. With all these Ferraro Shitposts you're really spoiling us.

1) stop wishing harm on him
2) if people are offended and you're not then try and see it from their point of view
3) if you're incapable of (2) then consider the reply button a risky click because you will come off as an asshole
4) I'm sorry you're such horrible people.

It could have been so much worse. I mean, I could have written Awful Thing for the sake of an increased viewership / wages. Imagine how horrible a person I'd be then! :eek:

That ice cream joke in the trump thread makes sense now.

No one should be surprised, crazy how this guy still gets so much support.

Well Jeremy Clarkson got fired for punching his producer in the face and then people angrily claimed the firing was ridiculous. I like TG/GT for the most part but I'll never understand the cult like following around the show and the people who believe the show and hosts can do no wrong.

Famassu

He's getting paid a lot of money to make jokes on a TV show. The mass appeal of Top Gear/Grand Tour is its ability to make people laugh. It's him and two other middle aged men playing characters. That's the reality of it - rightly or wrongly.

I am definitely leaning towards the whole purpose of the joke, being the utter absurdity of it (its fucking ice cream!).

It absolutely wasn't smart or witty, but part of me wonders whether this has got so much traction in the press because of who they are, and not what specifically was said (e.g. they're up to their old tricks...!).

That being said, I do hope that we get something a bit more thought out in future, because the show itself is great.
I still think the worst thing about this is the fact that they made a joke about a straight man not being able to do something that he consders gay (whether as a made up character or what he actually thinks as a real person, doesn't really matter), because "gay things" are viewed as somehow bad/unwanted, not that it was something absurd like not eating ice cream specifically. That still paints a dumb picture of there being things in this world that are too gay for Real Straight Men to do because that would make them seem gay and that is bad, which is a way of thought that causes real issues in the real world and isn't just some "man-babies in an echo chamber being outraged over nothing" SJW problem.

fritolay

So it was about an ice cream commercial, but it fell flat, and they moved on instead of trying to explain the joke.

The question is, not matter what the answer, is why did they broadcast it either way. This isn't live TV.

Az987

all good things
I don't eat bananas or ice cream cones.

Or carrots.

Basically any food over 3 inches.

Some baby carrots are okay...

I have to pick through the whole bag though.

I give the gay ones to my dog.

TSM

Well Jeremy Clarkson got fired for punching his producer in the face and then people angrily claimed the firing was ridiculous.

Not that it's really important, but he wasn't actually fired. They just didn't renew his contract. The intro to the first episode of The Grand Tour makes light of this when it's pointed out that Clarkson is technically the only one of the three that's never been fired.

Fewr

Not that it's really important, but he wasn't actually fired. They just didn't renew his contract. The intro to the first episode of The Grand Tour makes light of this when it's pointed out that Clarkson is technically the only one of the three that's never been fired.
Firing someone is not always super evident. You could do what you stated, or you could make someone's life miserable to the point that you force them to quit with subtlety. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Technically it isn't firing someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom