• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
All signs in the marketing point to a direction's vision coming through without the interference of studio heads.

WHAT?! Don't get me wrong because I think the Prometheus trailers have been great thus far but how can you possibly say that they are a direct reflection on the eventual film's quality?

Yes it looks grand. Yes it looks moody and gritty like the original. But let's not forget that this is a film from Fox, in the middle of summer, with a PG-13 rating.

And let's be clear about this, no film gets through Fox without interference. Especially a genre film that Rothman can get his sticky fingers all over.

The trailers have been great but cinema history has been littered with great trailers that haven NOT gone on to be great films.

GhaleonEB

Not sure original Alien would get an R in today's world.

The chestburster scene would get it; it would have to be toned down to land a PG-13. Quit a few 'fuck's in Alien as well. It could be done, but it would require a few nips and tucks. If Prometheus pushes the edges of a PG-13, the differenc will probably be negligable.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
VrMBV.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
Very little foul language in the movie from what I recall.
It's not frequent, but it's there.

Also there's three sort-of scenes of sexual assault: the facehugger, the android attacking Ripley (uses a lot of imagery that suggests it's going to turn into something nastier) and then the actual rape that happens towards the climax of the film.

It's a horrific film in places. I wouldn't recommend it for someone under the age of 14 or whatever.

GhaleonEB

It's not frequent, but it's there.

Also there's three sort-of scenes of sexual assault: the facehugger, the android attacking Ripley (uses a lot of imagery that suggests it's going to turn into something nastier) and then the actual rape that happens towards the climax of the film.

It's a horrific film in places. I wouldn't recommend it for someone under the age of 14 or whatever.

I agree with the point, but I still don't think this actually happens, at all.

Suairyu

Banned
I agree with the point, but I still don't think this actually happens, at all.
It's heavily implied. And even if you decide it didn't happen, there's no denying the imagery is invoked quite deliberately. So, rape or not, it has the same visual content as a rape, so it's just as bad in a "who should see this film" sense.

GhaleonEB

It's heavily implied. And even if you decide it didn't happen, there's no denying the imagery is invoked quite deliberately. So, rape or not, it has the same visual content as a rape, so it's just as bad in a "who should see this film" sense.

I've never understood the implication, either. We hear the entire sequence, the alien approaches Lambert, who is understandably freaking out. We hear the alien strike, and Lambert screams once before being killed instantly, and Ripley arrives moments later to find the alien gone. No time for alien rape. There's the same pseudo-sexuality to the scene that any involving the creature contains, but nothing more. Alien has been one of my favorite films since I was a kid, and I was surprised to read about the supposed rape on GAF a while back. Watching the Blu-Ray of the film (twice) over the past month, I still just don't see it.

As I said, I do agree with the sentiment; there are dark, mature undertones to the film, both thematically and visually. You're probably right in that just nipping the cursing and the worst of the gore from the chestburster scene would still land it an R (because the morons at the MPAA would feel icky and disturbed after and probably not know why).

Suairyu

Banned
I've never understood the implication, either. We hear the entire sequence, the alien approaches Lambert, who is understandably freaking out. We hear the alien strike, and Lambert screams once before being killed instantly, and Ripley arrives moments later to find the alien gone. No time for alien rape. There's the same pseudo-sexuality to the scene that any involving the creature contains, but nothing more. Alien has been one of my favorite films since I was a kid, and I was surprised to read about the supposed rape on GAF a while back. Watching the Blu-Ray of the film (twice) over the past month, I still just don't see it.

As I said, I do agree with the sentiment; there are dark, mature undertones to the film, both thematically and visually. You're probably right in that just nipping the cursing and the worst of the gore from the chestburster scene would still land it an R (because the morons at the MPAA would feel icky and disturbed after and probably not know why).

I get the feeling you missed the whole "phallic tail crawling up her leg and going to her crotch" thing.

GhaleonEB

I get the feeling you missed the whole "phallic tail crawling up her leg and going to her crotch" thing.

A tail wrapping around her back doesn't mean she was raped, particularly on the basis of the rest of the sequence. I mean, when did it happen? During the ten seconds between that shot and whens she was killed, or the ten seconds before Ripley arrives? It approaches her, kills her, and immediately leaves. It just makes no sense.

Suairyu

Banned
A tail wrapping around her back doesn't mean she was raped, particularly on the basis of the rest of the sequence. It just makes no sense.
Dude it cuts away once it reaches her ass and you hear her scream. It's blatant rape imagery.

Like the whole film. It's a very erotically designed film in places.

Dude it cuts away once it reaches her ass and you hear her scream. It's blatant rape imagery.

Not to mention that the writers/Ridley have always said that the implication is that she is raped because the guy that got chestbursted wanted to fuck Lambert.

GhaleonEB

That's a valid interpretation, and the imagery is there. What I don't agree with is the event happening; that's a common interpretation but not one I share. Just as there is a lot of sexual imagery in the film but not actual sex, that scene has imagery of sexual violence with out it literally taking place. Yes to your last point.
There's definitely a lot of deliberate rape imagery. In fact, there is basically rape on a literal level, since the facehugger forcefully impregnates the host.

Yup, it's not subtle.

Zeliard

There's definitely a lot of deliberate rape imagery. In fact, there is basically rape on a literal level, since the facehugger forcefully impregnates the host.

zeioIIDX

Okay so I downloaded the 1080p version from YouTube and I'm watching it in VLC at x0.02 speed....and hmmm,
the "guy" flinging the crew member looks like a damn xenomorph to me or at least part of one. I mean, the head is elongated and looks like it has dark stripes along the sides and if you look carefully, you can see the arms are very long/slender and they end in claws.

Rape imagery, absolutely. The film is loaded with that.

That doesn't mean that she *literally* got raped.

Okay so I downloaded the 1080p version from YouTube and I'm watching it in VLC at x0.02 speed....and hmmm,
the "guy" doing the tossing looks like a damn xenomorph to me. I mean, the head is elongated and looks like it has dark stripes along the sides and if you look carefully, you can see the arms are very long/slender and they end in claws.

I went back and looked at it a few times and I'm just not seeing it.
For one, I don't see a tail first and foremost. Otherwise it just looks like a tall person wearing an odd suit. I didn't see anything that resembled a head at all though so I could be missing something.

Good teaser for a trailer though.

zeioIIDX

Spoiler stuff

Well yeah but
I figured there was no tail because it's the proto alien or whatever. The crew member could be in the middle of a transformation because if this is the same crew member who leaped from the top of that vehicle in the other trailers, he had a regular shaped head at the time and merely looked infected.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
the "guy" doing the tossing looks like a damn xenomorph to me. I mean, the head is elongated and looks like it has dark stripes along the sides and if you look carefully, you can see the arms are very long/slender and they end in claws.

I thought you meant
the guy "tossing" the scanning probes with the mowhawk and tattoos on the the side of his head
lol

incidently
that is clearly the guy who gets acid faced, and a candidate for transformation into that creature

edit:
So what are you expecting this movie will do opening weekend?

Thoroughly entertain me.

zeioIIDX

Haha, oops...should have made myself more clear on which scene I was referring too! Well I screen capped the spot I was talking about.
You should be able to see the claws, especially visible is the crew member's right one. I didn't screen cap the elongated head as it's easier to spot if you watch it slowed down.

Warning: possible spoiler in the following image but mainly speculation on my part.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/ITGzeio/proxen.png

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, oops...should have made myself more clear on which scene I was referring too! Well I screen capped the spot I was talking about.
You should be able to see the claws, especially visible is the crew member's right one. I didn't screen cap the elongated head as it's easier to spot if you watch it slowed down.

Warning: possible spoiler in the following image but mainly speculation on my part.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/ITGzeio/proxen.png

Yeah I see elongated arms / claws. head could be bubble helmet from a weird angle all the other crew are still wearing theirs in that scene. definitely no tail though

Rape imagery, absolutely. The film is loaded with that.

That doesn't mean that she *literally* got raped.

I'm not 100%, but I think one of the writers or Ridley himself talked about how John Hurt's character was attracted to Lambert, so his/the alien's attack was more sexual.

zeioIIDX

Yeah I see elongated arms / claws. head could be bubble helmet from a weird angle all the other crew are still wearing theirs in that scene. definitely no tail though
Hmm...
Well here are two pics that showcase the head thing I was talking about. I agree it could merely be the bubble helmet but at least at these angles, it looks opaque and flesh-like rather than clear.

Warning: more potential spoilers in the following images, more of my speculation...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/ITGzeio/proxen3.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/ITGzeio/proxen2.png

edit: Damn it, just realized photobucket doesn't upload the original size images unless you go Pro.

GhaleonEB

I'm not 100%, but I think one of the writers or Ridley himself talked about how John Hurt's character was attracted to Lambert, so his/the alien's attack was more sexual.

I recall reading that as well. There were a lot of ideas over the course of development that were either discarded or reworked. IIRC, Lambert was to be literally raped at one point in the development of the script. However, Scott decided not to go there and did not film it, reworking that sequence. In post production, he decided to make her death have the same overtones, and added the shot of the tail wrapping around her; it's actually Brett's legs, from his death scene.
Hmm...
Well here are two pics that showcase the head thing I was talking about. I agree it could merely be the bubble helmet but at least at these angles, it looks opaque and flesh-like rather than clear.

Warning: more potential spoilers in the following images, more of my speculation...

edit: Damn it, just realized photobucket doesn't upload the original size images unless you go Pro.
I see what you are talking about, in that first pic in particular. I really hope we're not looking at major spoilers; I enjoy picking apart trailers, so long as they're not actually spoiling critical elements of the film.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm...

I am going with
unfinished effects shot
lol

zeioIIDX

I am going with
unfinished effects shot
lol

Hahaha, I suppose that's for the best! I swear, I've never wanted to see a film as badly as I wanna see Prometheus. I'm wondering how much new content the 2 minute trailer will show or whether it will spoil even more...'cause they've already shown a few things such as the blue, bald guy in the "Space Jockey room".

Busty

Banned
the "guy" flinging the crew member looks like a damn xenomorph to me or at least part of one. I mean, the head is elongated and looks like it has dark stripes along the sides and if you look carefully, you can see the arms are very long/slender and they end in claws.

That's a great catch. I knew that I'd seen something at that point but couldn't see what. It could a 'space trucker' or something else...

I seem to remember reading a theory that a
crew member is exposed to an 'alien gas' and that turns them into a human/xenomorph hybrid which stalks and kills the crew
in the film.

If that's true (or some variation of that), and given the rating and the fact it's a FOX summer movie it seems entirely plausible, my extremely low enthusiasm for this film seems well placed.

:(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hmm...

Looks like the
xeno suit pics eating lunch
that were leaked ages ago. Incidentally they had
no discernable tails either

W Hudson

It doesn't.

Well to say that it doesn't might be stretching it a bit. From what I know its set in the same 'universe' as Alien(s),
with the Weyland-Yutani corporation playing a major role. Also from the trailer I think Prometheus is going to delve a lot more into the 'space jockey' mythology. But I don't think that we are going to be seeing any xenomorphs running around, which is probably what you are alluding to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom