• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P R O M E T H E U S |OT| Ridley Scott goes back to Building Better Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
The design in this movie takes a fucking massive dump on Avatar though, especially the interior design. Avatar's sets look cheap as shit by comparison

The set designs definitely do. They're far more impressive than Avatar's. Ship design? Not so much.

But then Cameron is going for practicality and realism within his universe (ie: Hellsgate Tower pretty much resembles a flight control room), whereas Scott gets to skew more towards the side of fiction.

But yes, Avatar's interior sets do have this awful glossy/fake look to them. I was especially surprised by that, given that WETA built them.

Call me sick, but I always thought it would have been more in line with Alien's sinister undercurrent if David became jealous of his inability to mate and procreate and this envy was visualised when watching Shaw and dickhead.

Then he would have a really fucked up and sexually aggressive motive for wanting to to impregnate Shaw and then we could keep the original scene where he forcefully has a facehugger hatch and latch onto her.

David as he is presented now is just a confused stewpot of A.I cliches that goes everywhere and nowhere for no particular reason other than to thinly advance the plot when the black goop isn't enough.

watershed

Banned
So is a sequel confirmed to be in the works? And if so do we know who is attached besides Ridley? I hope Lost dude is left off this time.

zoukka

Call me sick, but I always thought it would have been more in line with Alien's sinister undercurrent if David became jealous of his inability to mate and procreate and this envy was visualised when watching Shaw and dickhead.

Then he would have a really fucked up and sexually aggressive motive for wanting to to impregnate Shaw and then we could keep the original scene where he forcefully has a facehugger hatch and latch onto her.

David as he is presented now is just a confused stewpot of A.I cliches that goes everywhere and nowhere for no particular reason other than to thinly advance the plot when the black goop isn't enough.

No.

Why would David the Great want to mingle with the dirty homo sapien.

watershed

Banned
Don't think Lindeloff is coming back

Well thank god for that. Hopefully the sequel will shed his influence and we'll see a sequel with a tighter plot and more sensible character motivations. One thing I've wondered is how they will add more humans to the cast? I can't imagine that Rapace will be the only human going forward so what happens?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Had a random thought today.

Cyberdyne/Skynet cyborgs are more organism in the body, but machine in the mind. They shed real blood, but are dictated by strict mission parameters. In order to become more human, they need to be rewired.

Hyperdyne/Weyland/Yutani androids are more machine in the body, but organism in the mind. They're able to cry but their "blood" is white. Their physical movement is not particularly agile or accurate (thought you never missed Bishop) and their flow of speech is not as natural as a terminator, but what comes out of that mouth flows much better in conversation. Their mannerisms are not as robotic.

Blade Runner androids are just weird.

And the DBZ androids are pretty much just humans with robot parts.

I'm pretty torn on the film. On the one hand, it has reference quality 3D, visuals, and sound. However, the movie itself has some story issues that are hard to overlook.

But goddamn, the 3D was the best I have ever seen. The first 10 minutes of the movie is what I will show to anyone curious about home 3D. It's jaw dropping.

I want a sequel, now.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
The Spaiths's script is not the most amazing thing I've ever read, but it's just so much more coherent than Lindelof's it makes me shake my head that Scott went with the latter's script. What were they thinking when they hired him? The only improvements in Lindelof's version are the scenes where David is tooling around in the ship before everyone wakes up and (maybe) the star map sequence. David is much spookier the less we know about him. Lindelof's script makes the parallel between David and Humanity, Humanity and Engineers needlessly explicit.

And Watts runs orthogonal to the rolling ship! Christ, for that scene alone, they should have gone with Spaiths's.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Whose idea was it? Goddamn it, how does Lindelof get work. I rather suspect Spaiths leaked his own script, after seeing the mess that was Lindelof's.

Cameron's, according to Sculli.

What is especially hilarious (especially in the context of Tedesco's earlier posts on this page) is that the intro sequence with David seems almost identical to the original introduction to Bishop and the Sulaco that Cameron had planned for Aliens. ZOMG RIDLEY OWES THE ONLY GOOD PART OF HIS MOVIE TO CAMERON LOLOLOL

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The Spaiths's script is not the most amazing thing I've ever read, but it's just so much more coherent than Lindelof's it makes me shake my head that Scott went with the latter's script. What were they thinking when they hired him? The only improvements in Lindelof's version are the scenes where David is tooling around in the ship before everyone wakes up and (maybe) the star map sequence. David is much spookier the less we know about him. Lindelof's script makes the parallel between David and Humanity, Humanity and Engineers needlessly explicit.

And Watts runs orthogonal to the rolling ship! Christ, for that scene alone, they should have gone with Spaiths's.

What does this mean? Not "orthogonal", but the sentence...

When I saw the trailers for Prometheus I had thought that Davis was going to be effected by whatever they found and as such became the biomechanoid space jockey.

verbum

I liked Prometheus a lot better the second time I saw it, which was Saturday. Better a sequel to this than some other sci-fi movie. Of course if it came to this or "Cowboys And Aliens-Part II", I'd have to think about it.

mantidor

I honestly thought the movie's connection with the Prometheus myth was going to be related to the c-section.

In the myth Prometheus gave fire (which is usually thought as a symbolism of knowledge) to mankind, but the gods were so angry with him he was chained and got his liver eaten, over and over because as a god he couldn't die. Now with so much emphasis on the c-section from the trailers, I just assumed this was going to be Shaw's version of the myth, she got knowledge of the origin of mankind, she is punished by being forced to have alien babies, again and again.

It made so much sense, since the chestburster scene in alien is so disturbing and memorable, the only way to top it is to get a chestburster in you, that actually doesn't kill you, but it only keeps popping and popping up. Worth of comparison to Prometheus punishment.

I guess I was giving the writers too much credit.

Finally saw this and it was better than I expected it to be. One of the better sci-fi films of recent times. Which shows the sad state of sci-fi.
The only things that bothered me is the stupid Ancient Astronaut shit and the blatant Christianity "humans are humans because beliefs".

Also the heavy reliance on CGI. Would have been better if they used some of the older tech ship-wise (analog buttons instead of glass cockpit) since this is a prequel.

Also the heavy reliance on CGI. Would have been better if they used some of the older tech ship-wise (analog buttons instead of glass cockpit) since this is a prequel.

That's one part I didn't mind. The idea is that this is the most high-tech ship Man has ever created, whereas the Nostromus is a mineral-hauling piece of shit.

Also, Prometheus features some of the sexiest sci-fi technology ever put on film, so that alone is worth a slight lack of consistency with the original movie.

Iceman

I honestly thought the movie's connection with the Prometheus myth was going to be related to the c-section.

In the myth Prometheus gave fire (which is usually thought as a symbolism of knowledge) to mankind, but the gods were so angry with him he was chained and got his liver eaten, over and over because as a god he couldn't die. Now with so much emphasis on the c-section from the trailers, I just assumed this was going to be Shaw's version of the myth, she got knowledge of the origin of mankind, she is punished by being forced to have alien babies, again and again.

It made so much sense, since the chestburster scene in alien is so disturbing and memorable, the only way to top it is to get a chestburster in you, that actually doesn't kill you, but it only keeps popping and popping up. Worth of comparison to Prometheus punishment.

ooh. I like this interpretation. Can I just apply it to the story anyway?

Holy shit this made me laugh. Your last zinger capped it off nicely.

FStop7

Banned
Got the 4 disc BR that includes 3D and 2D copies. For some reason my PS3 wouldn't detect my TV as being 3D, I think maybe I need a new HDMI cable.

So I watched it in 2D.

Jesus. Christ. The opening sequence is the best looking thing I have ever seen on a television. Period. It's like looking through glass. And for some reason it looks like it was shot at 48 or 60 fps. It was so smooth that I had to pause and double check that Trumotion was disabled. It's incredible.

Too bad about the rest of the movie. :/

David looking at the star maps... also mind blowingly sharp and clear. And for such a bleak movie the colors there are (such as the blue and orange suits) really pop.

C+ story, A++ for beauty.

IISANDERII

Don't forgot high marks for the score also. It's especially awesome to listen to it while reading Asimov.

"Not too close I hope."

FStop7

Banned
Am I imagining things or was the opening sequence of Prometheus shot at a higher frame rate than 24 fps?

When I watched the Blu Ray I had to pause and check a couple of times to make sure that my tv's motion smoothing was disabled.

It's only the opening sequence with the waterfall. Everything else looks like 24fps to me.

Also, the point where I start to hate this movie is exactly when dipshit takes his helmet off and everyone joins in. That's when things become inexcusably dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom