• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiMe price change on Switch: digital now 29.99, OST code included in retail SKU

Carlisle

Sweet I'm in for the physical. Great to see devs listen to their community. Bucking the growing trend of non-parity in pricing will do a world of good for the industry as a whole. I really hope they're able to come out of this with greater profits and support than they would have with a price hike.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Saw this and that's a good compromise with the digital code for the soundtrack in retail copies, good on them

Intel_89

Does anyone know when the embargo lifts? I'm still on the fence about picking it up at launch and some early reviews would help me make a decision.

U&I Entertainment is telling retailers that the Switch version will be released in Germany on July 21. It should be around the same date in other European countries then.

giphy.gif

Makes their excuses from the start seem pretty absurd, but yes this is the right way to do things.

The real reason was obvious. The were expecting Switch to do Wii U-like numbers so they would have an excuse to no longer support the machine in the future when the version flopped, so they priced it more expensive than the other platforms to makes things easier. Now that Switch is selling the way it is, they won't sabotage their own game when indies are doing great on the platform and they have an opportunity to sell on it, so they dropped the price.

wetalo

The real reason was obvious. The were expecting Switch to do Wii U-like numbers so they would have an excuse to no longer support the machine in the future when the version flopped, so they priced it more expensive than the other platforms to makes things easier. Now that Switch is selling the way it is, they won't sabotage their own game when indies are doing great on the platform and they have an opportunity to sell on it, so they dropped the price.

No... This is because Switch cartridges are actually expensive. It's the same reason Puyo Puyo Tetris cost $10 more on the Switch physical version. Those cartridges genuinely do cost somewhere in the range of $10.

gtj1092

Lol wat? Wouldn't it have just been easier to not support the switch if they didn't​ want it to succeed. It's amazing how many of you believe in this industry vs poor Nintendo narrative.

Enzom21

The moon landing was faked!!!

Kikorin

If someone of devs or pr of the game is still reading this topic, please don't release it for Switch the same day ad Splatoon 2.

I think with this price point the game can do great on Switch, but release it 21 july is like pull it into the trash and would be really a waste.

Shiggy

It's apparently down to the cost of the game cards. The publishers of Puyo Puyo Tetris, Rime, Sine Mora Ex, and Minecraft Story Adventure all charge EUR10 more for the Switch version than for the PS4/X1 versions. The big publishers (Ubisoft, WBIE, Activision) just eat the cost, but they also sell their titles at full price.

tsab

First off, the digital version of RiME on Nintendo Switch will now cost $29.99 / €34.99 / £29.99, the same price as the game on other platforms. So, that's straightforward enough.

Nice, but I just noticed that the PAL version is pricier than the US one, then I remembered that the Switch is region free

LewieP

I don't think it's that. I think they just thought they would get away with it, and more devs would follow the same strategy as them. Actually as it played out, they stood out as particularly bad, and got lots of negative attention for it.

M3d10n

Clever.

I supposed adding the OST download code allowed the devs to treat the digital and physical versions as separate SKUs so they could get around the "digital versions of physical games must have the same price" rule.

Was going to skip the game because of the pricing point. Seriously, penalising your customer because of their system of choice isn't a great decision.

I might pick up though now. Will have to see how it fares in motion and once a few opinions are out on gameplay. It certainly looks great graphics/syle wise.

Top Bottom