• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiMe price change on Switch: digital now 29.99, OST code included in retail SKU

jonno394

That is a solid port?

Snake Pass is, but many people aren't happy with the sub native stuff, and I assumed (incorrectly) that the user might be saying Rime will suffer the same.

Seems he has "sources" but still, Tantalus have done well before.

-shadow-

Snake Pass is, but many people aren't happy with the sub native stuff, and I assumed (incorrectly) that the user might be saying Rime will suffer the same.

Seems he has "sources" but still, Tantalus have done well before.
In all fairness, the PS4 port also runs at a pretty low resolution. So there's that.

Just things I've heard. I guess we'll see, eh?

I'll be grabbing it on PS4, not Switch.

And what things have you heard? I mean, there's obviously going to be some downgrades. I think most expect that for the majority of games. Switch is a nice piece of kit, but it's still several times less powerful than PS4.

I think he wants to know if you heard it from some random user on a forum or from a person who would indeed know something about the Switch version.

Well if it were some random user on a forum, I wouldn't have said anything.

That's the last I'll say about it. I don't expect good things, and I'll be skipping the Switch version.

Well if it were some random user on a forum, I wouldn't have said anything.

That's the last I'll say about it. I don't expect good things, and I'll be skipping the Switch version.

The problem with this is you can say this and it's so vague that as long as their is some sort of downgrade you can defend your position that it was worth skipping in favor of the PS4 version. You could be a bit more specific without giving much away. Are you talking about framerate, resolution, bugs, all of the above, etc...?

Edit: For those of us that do expect some downgrades, this doesn't give us much is what I'm saying. That said, I will be waiting to see more of the Switch version before committing to a purchase.

The problem with this is you can say this and it's so vague that as long as their is some sort of downgrade you can defend your position that it was worth skipping in favor of the PS4 version. You could be a bit more specific without giving much away. Are you talking about framerate, resolution, bugs, all of the above, etc...?

Framerate.

Thank you for taking our concerns into consideration. I'm definitely looking forward to purchasing the physical version when it releases.

Ahasverus

All that "outrage" callig the devs scum and now it's obvious they have the moral playground. May this be a lesson for some users here who don't measure their words at all.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ah that's good, interest is back for this game. Hope it reviews well.

Also lol 10k. Why would anyone believe what he has to say?

This is quite noteworthy though, as some doubted that going physical on Switch is more expensive than on other platforms:
"On the physical side, we can’t lower the price without selling at a loss"
It's just hard to believe given the existence of $20 games. We then have to believe that larger game cards result in $10+ more costs than smaller ones, which seems weird given everything is 32 GB or below. Like, Nintendo went to their engineers and said "Design us the least efficient read-only storage media possible in the modern world!"

Oregano

Good on them. This is exactly what they should do in these situations, keep parity with digital and throw up some cheap goodies to make the physical better value.

Before people say "LOL 10k", he's accurate on this 100%.

If that article is accurate they should drop the Resolution to 540p/900p if it's currently 720p/1080p.

JnFnRu

Okay that change is acceptable. Digital being the same price as the other versions with the retail having something else included. I had no problem with the higher retail cost for Puyo Puyo Tetris becauseof the keychains. I actually use them and like them. A high quality download of the OST is good.

However it does goes to show in the end the original excuse wasn't true. When shit like this happens again people need to continue to speak up. That's for everything though.

In the U.K. We didn't get a keychain.... ( at least not with my £34,95 amazon order)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Feels like the same issues are at play as before - possibly higher cost price forcing a higher retail price (bear in mind a small actual increase in cost can result is a larger increase in retail price due to margins etc) - and he publisher doing what they can to add perceived value to soften the pill on retail in a way that doesn't hit them too hard.

The digital price cut works because I assume Nintendo have a similar split as other digital platforms where the publisher gets a higher price per unit anyway, plus no issues with increased cost of goods

In the end, the root cause sounds like it is still there - higher prices for carts that will impact prices, perhaps disproportionately for lower priced software where the cost of a cart would be a higher percentage of the retail price

EDarkness

This is awesome, and I'm glad the publisher fixed this situation. Who knows what the game is gonna be like when it's released. The game isn't due out for months, so this "framerate" business doesn't mean anything. If it was releasing tomorrow or next week, then I could understand being worried, but they have lots of time to get it up to snuff. Let's give them a chance to get it together.

In any case, I'm happy with how this whole thing is going down. I'll consider picking up this game.

mazillion

Well, I think the most interesting fact that comes out of this is an (indirect) confirmation that there is actually no policy being enforced by Nintendo regarding the price of digital VS physical releases, like Eurogamer was claiming.

Where you get that idea?

First RiME, for whatever reason, wouldn't offer their digital version for less. In fact they defended it on NeoGaf saying it was a tough decision but they had to do it. They couldn't explain why the digital version had to cost the same. Suddenly they throw in a free soundtrack for the physical version and now they are offering the digital version for less. Coincidence? Maybe but I don't think so, it fits the "Switch price parity loophole" theory perfectly.

If the devs wanted to appease their potential customers after the backlash all they would have to do (if Nintendo didn't have this policy) is just drop the price of the digital version, why go out of the way to offer a digital soundtrack for the physical version at the same time?

It reeeaaally seems like this policy is legit. Unless there is some proof to the contrary I haven't seen?

Good on them. This is exactly what they should do in these situations, keep parity with digital and throw up some cheap goodies to make the physical better value.

If that article is accurate they should drop the Resolution to 540p/900p if it's currently 720p/1080p.

It apparently hits 30 indoors so maybe just use dynamic resolution

Shiggy

It's just hard to believe given the existence of $20 games. We then have to believe that larger game cards result in $10+ more costs than smaller ones, which seems weird given everything is 32 GB or below. Like, Nintendo went to their engineers and said "Design us the least efficient read-only storage media possible in the modern world!"

That's not how it works. You assume that the higher price is just due to higher production costs. In reality, when publishers need to invest more capital, they also expect a higher return (i.e. the return on capital investment in % remains constant), in your example the return as a percentage of capital investment would decrease. Similarly, retailers expect a higher margin: based on your idea of how it works, they would sell an item for 10000 EUR with the same profit as an item for 1 EUR.

With taxes, publisher margins, retail margins, and distributor margins having an additional base cost of 5 EUR will almost be 10 EUR for the customer.

Nobody argues that the cards are 10 EUR more expensive than discs.

So, someone brought that to my attention a few days ago. I will tell you that we are still on track for Q3.

There are rumours that the port is not just handled by Tantalus? Can you give and information on that?

Oregano

That's not how it works. You assume that the higher price is just due to higher production costs. In reality, when publishers need to invest more capital, they also expect a higher return (i.e. the return on capital investment in % remains constant), in your example the return as a percentage of capital investment would decrease. Similarly, retailers expect a higher margin: based on your idea of how it works, they would sell an item for 10000 EUR with the same profit as an item for 1 EUR.

With taxes, publisher margins, retail margins, and distributor margins having an additional base cost of 5 EUR will almost be 10 EUR for the customer.

There are rumours that the port is not just handled by Tantalus? Can you give and information on that?

Wouldn't Tequila Works also be working on it?

What I was trying to get at is if any card game can be sold for $20 and not be at a loss, then the price difference for some larger card must be significantly higher if $40 is the first viable price where it is not losing money. So even if extra retailer cut and such things were a full 50%, then it would be a case of $10 extra for the manufacturing and $10 extra for the rest.

But the simplest explanation is that they did not literally mean that a $30 or $35 price would be losing money on every single sale, just that it would make the money earned unattractive versus the costs.

Sagitario

Industry insider, Kevin Carreiro (Tenkay23)

vVkoPPU.gif

Futureman

Good job! I snagged a preorder for $23 or whatever on Amazon when there was a pricing error.

Still gonna wait to see what the reviews look like in 2 weeks.

I assume no update on Switch release date?

Not to bash the guy, but to totally bash the guy,

Why the fuck are people actually listening to 10k even though we got a guy from the actual team disputing details.

Shiggy

What I was trying to get at is if any card game can be sold for $20 and not be at a loss, then the price difference for some larger card must be significantly higher if $40 is the first viable price where it is not losing money. So even if extra retailer cut and such things were a full 50%, then it would be a case of $10 extra for the manufacturing and $10 extra for the rest.

But the simplest explanation is that they did not literally mean that a $30 or $35 price would be losing money on every single sale, just that it would make the money earned unattractive versus the costs.

I'm not quite getting you here. Where does the 20$ price point come from? Are you just talking about some other title (e.g. Sine Mora Ex)? I'm not sure how that would be relevant here.

Retail price
- taxes
- retail margin
- logistic costs/distribution costs
- production costs/Nintendo's cut
= what the publisher receives

Yet, this is not the profit as the publisher also incurred development costs. These are also different between titles. Thus your comparison is rather obscure here since we have no clue about the development costs of Rime. Therefore, comparisons with other titles make little sense; and you drawing the conclusion that "the price difference for some larger card must be significantly higher" cannot be drawn from what we see here. We can only draw conclusions based on the price differential between the Switch version and other versions.

Not every game has the same development costs. A game such as Zelda costs 70 EUR, Sine Mora Ex costs 20 EUR. Yet nobody would argue that the card of Zelda costs 50 EUR more than that of Sine Mora Ex.

Not every game has the same development costs. A game such as Zelda costs 70 EUR, Sine Mora Ex costs 20 EUR. Yet nobody would argue that the card of Zelda costs 50 EUR more than that of Sine Mora Ex.
What do you mean your zelda cart isn't coated in gold leaf.

Top Bottom