• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiMe price change on Switch: digital now 29.99, OST code included in retail SKU

If it's good, I'll think about getting it now.

I won't forget that this wasn't their first decision, though. Just glad they decided to follow roughly how Puyo Puyo Tetris physical/digital was handled.

I'm being speculative (I know, terrible habit) based on the build of the PS4 version I played last month. It had frame rate issues. The game itself is fantastic though, so I hope they iron out the performance kinks in time.

Lol. No problem. I haven't been keeping up, so wasn't sure if there were any known issues.

Right. Because games just magically grow on trees somewhere and you don't need any money to develop them or market them or print them or distribute them.
Not sure what's with the hostility. I'm saying I don't see $40 being the break even point for a cartridge even if I concede that a cartridge is more expensive. That's what the quote sounds like, if they mean "I think to make the port worth it we need to charge this much" is a different story.

LordRaptor

Right. Because games just magically grow on trees somewhere and you don't need any money to develop them or market them or print them or distribute them.

Nobody has ever claimed that. People are just naturally incredulous that one platform has a $10 per copy overhead over all other platforms.

Glix

Well, between this and Puyo Puyo Tetris, it seems there's a loophole in Nintendo retail / pricing rules: just add a special bonus to the retail version and you can release a game on the digital storefront at a lower MSRP.

This is exactly what I came to post. The articles were not incorrect about this, but by adding the OST to the physical they can now price the digital rev at 30

This is exactly what I came to post. The articles were not incorrect about this, but by adding the OST to the physical they can now price the digital rev at 30

That also seems to be what the community manager is confirming in this very thread if I am not mistaken.

There was no 'BS' excuse. What we announced was, and still is the legitimate reality of things. We have been working hard on getting a solution that fit within the confines of that reality and that we felt was fair.

Great for those that had an issue with paying extra for the Switch version of Rime. I've got a physical copy pre-ordered for PS4 Pro.

Hopefully we'll see similar outrage aimed at Capcom for charging £35 for Ultra Street Fighter II and Koch International for Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Glad to hear about the digital price change!

I'm getting the physical version cause of the little Amazon glitch so technically I'm still paying less, but now I'm getting some bonuses too!

Good job, this is what they should've done from the beginning. Good on them for changing their minds. Have it preordered, feel much better about that now

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
wow, they actually appeased the digital folks and gave a buff to the retail folks.. unexpected.

fortunately I locked in $29.99 on Amazon..

jacobeid

Banned
There was no 'BS' excuse. What we announced was, and still is the legitimate reality of things. We have been working hard on getting a solution that fit within the confines of that reality and that we felt was fair.

I mean, the biggest issue/question in the original thread was why this couldn't be $30 digitally and $40 physically if manufacturing costs were to blame (which it seems they are, like Puyo Puyo), so again we have no idea why the team originally wanted to charge $40 for the digital version too other than for parity with the physical version (which is BS because you don't have manufacturing costs).

But I digress, thanks for passing along the feedback to the team and getting this adjusted.

Ridley327

Where is the news about the PHYSICAL price now being the same as other platforms? You know, what the eurogamer article about.

Seems Rime just found a way around Nintendo's policies.

It seems like they did the same thing as Puyo Puyo Tetris by including a good in the box. Granted, this is a download token for Bandcamp, which would be a shitload cheaper than even the keychains that PPT got, but it's still the same principle which helps to get away with having the digital version being $10 less.

Do we have a file size yet for the other versions of the game yet? I imagine that will help determine what kind of game card that they're going to ship the Switch version on, making easier to see where the price hike starts to kick in for physical releases without someone having to break NDA.

Great!

They were complete assholes for trying to pull that shit and it's left such a bad taste that I still probably won't be buying, but with that said it's a good move to see that they've had a change of heart.

Bit-Bit

I'm going physical but think it's pretty awesome that the digital is cheaper and other publishers need to take note.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Brilliant news! I love game soundtracks so will definitely be buying the physical.

Top Bottom