• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime Re-Reveal gameplay trailer (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch, May 2017)

Aonuma

Bejeweld ? What ? Do you know what The Witness is ?

I'm being purposely hyperbolic to emphasize my disappointment at the lack of diversity and rewarding exploration in The Witness compared to the more involved game it seemingly promised to be before it launched. Rime's gameplay style, at least in what we've seen, seems more varied and adventurous.

Ahasverus

This game is made by some people who worked on Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1 but didn't show up for the sequel after the drama with the director, so I'm excited, game had great puzzles and level design.

Peltz

Cautiously optimistic for this game. I certainly think this trailer is its best showing by far.

These types of games always seem to take forever to develop: Ico, The Witness, TLG -- all of them had incredibly long development times. I'm hoping Rime ends up being a similarly unique experience (even if these types of games aren't 100% my cup of tea). They're nice worlds in which to get absorbed for a bit.

LordKano

I'm being purposely hyperbolic to emphasize my disappointment at the lack of diversity and rewarding exploration in The Witness compared to the more involved game it seemingly promised to be before it launched. Rime's gameplay style, at least in what we've seen, seems more varied and adventurous.

The Witness was never meant to be about exploration. It's a 3D-puzzle game, a follow-up to Braid, a 2D-puzzle game. It's not comparable with Rime at all.

I had to go back and watch the gamescom again to see if I was perceiving the new trailer wrong. For some reason, it just feels more flat compared to the more grandeur and atmosphere of the gamescom trailer.

LordKano

Glad you think so!

Are you able to talk about how you got in contact with Nintendo for a Switch release ? It's interesting that Tequilla Works, which never worked with Nintendo, managed to be one of the first indies to work on a game for the system.

Good job for the re-reveal anyway.

Doesn't look quite as good as the original trailer of lies, but still very good.

I'm definitely waiting for reviews and player impressions, but I've high hopes for the game again, if nothing else.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I imagine its going to be an incredibly basic "go here, this happens" game without much substance since it sounded like development never settled on what the gameplay was ever supposed to be.

sn00zer

Looking back at the original trailers there was definitely something lost in the art direction and tone. It looks too much like the Witness now and this game has zero chance competing with the Witness in any regard.

UCBooties

I won't believe a thing they show until the game is out and reviewed but hopefully this turns out to be decent.

I was a little disappointed to see enemies, this originally looked more like a pure puzzle and exploration game.

Seems cool! I'm still optimistic after the first trailer of smoke and mirrors and rumoured development hell.

Currently playing TLG and more games in the Team Ico vain are welcome. Good luck to the devs!

Peltz

The Witness was a fantastic puzzle game. It's not Zelda which is more concerned with discovery and traversal.

Elandyll

Banned
I'm more surprised that a small team like Tequila Works could have the game running on all these platforms to do a simultaneous release.
Same for me tbh.

I'd love to know what really happened during the development of the game tbh, from being a PS4 exclusive/ Sony owned IP (with, allegedly, Spain pub funds for devs as well) to a big schism with Sony (again, allegedly on bad reports on testing and not meeting deadlines, with increased pressure from Sony afaik) to getting back their own IP from Sony and backing out of the exclusivity, to releasing, apparently, on 4 platforms simultaneously.

We will probably never know, but man, what a "Journey" ;)

Cardon

Really going to wait for impressions and what the devs say in interviews since they came across a bit like prats in the past. Concept certainly looks great, but the whole history of this project has been odd and slightly dubious.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Looking back at the original trailers there was definitely something lost in the art direction and tone. It looks too much like the Witness now and this game has zero chance competing with the Witness in any regard.

Yeah first game I thought of.

AgeEighty

Wow, it's looking great. Awesome to see it go multiplatform, especially on Switch.

Switch is getting one of the games that locked me into a PS4. That's huge.

I'm really happy to see these guys prove Rime hasn't been vaporware.

LordKano

I won't believe a thing they show until the game is out and reviewed but hopefully this turns out to be decent.

I was a little disappointed to see enemies, this originally looked more like a pure puzzle and exploration game.

Pretty sure we already saw enemies in the first trailer. Some walking eyeball-rock things.

Looks significantly worse than the original trailer and a lot of the magic seems to be gone in comparison. Also Sony backing out from this project should be a red flag, especially given how Deadlight turned out and how long this has been in the making.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Best wishes.

FoneBone

I have a bad feeling that this is going to be released in a more or less unfinished state (short length, abrupt ending, lack of polish), given the rumors about its development and that it's resurfacing this close to release.

Zapages

Looks more a puzzle game with Team ICO inspiration... Also there doesn't seem to be any combat. Interesting choice.

Takat

It looks interesting. I hope the puzzles are smart and makes sense, some puzzle game rely on weird logic that only the developers thought of.

Also, Nintendo should really ask for a horizontal logo, where the icon is on the side and the name on the right (or maybe the developers created it themselves).

Top Bottom