• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

Is this show any good? 24 pages on GAF is surprising for something that seems very "CW".

GAF Off-Topic as a whole pushes at least three CW show threads hard each week (Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl), with a number of lower tier show threads as well (Legends, Jane the Virgin, and Supernatural). Not really surprising.

Can you give me the elevator pitch? I'm deep in a number of CW shows.

It's the Archie Comics characters given a Gossip Girl spin mixed with a Twin Peaks-style mystery and tone.

If you've watched Vampire Dairies, you'll be right at home here.

GAF Off-Topic as a whole pushes at least three CW show threads hard each week (Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl), with a number of lower tier show threads as well (Legends, Jane the Virgin, and Supernatural). Not really surprising.

It's the Archie Comics characters given a Gossip Girl spin mixed with a Twin Peaks-style mystery and tone.

The DC shows don't count though. Gaming forum likes geeky tv shows is obvious.

I haven't seen Vamp Diaries but I'm shamelessly a Gossip Girl fan.

Everyone has their vice. Anyway I'll check this out.

PSqueak

Banned
I have no interest in this show, but im deeply intrigued by the fact that someone removed the W in the thread's title, i swore it read "Tween Peak" all this time, what gives?

I've been watching since the WB days as well, didn't have a proper UPN for the majority of its existence and then I think I only ever really watched Smackdown. Started from the days of the Wayans Brothers and Unhappily Ever After... Prime Nikki Cox ��.

That said, I never thought The CW would ever be my most watched network but now it is and by far and I don't think I've ever seen a single full episode of Supernatural.
Y6nxnK.gif

I'm having mixed feelings about this.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I have no interest in this show, but im deeply intrigued by the fact that someone removed the W in the thread's title, i swore it read "Tween Peak" all this time, what gives?

It did say tween, but I think to make the thread title fit without any awkward spacing, the "w" was dropped. It also makes slightly more sense as this isn't a show about tweens or even expressly targeted to tweens,

Permanently A

That's really the heart of the show, the love triangle. Obviously not the murder mystery, whether one finds it interesting or not. Personally, I don't at all. Of course, there will be people who like it, and is enough to hang onto the love triangle.

But you'd have to have a really odd sense of taste to think the show's strength is the murder mystery. I find only someone who barely knows anything about crime fiction or good murder mysteries could possibly feel this way, imo.

Of all the glut of great crime fiction we get, this isn't even mediocre, imo. It's flat out sub par, and bad. Bland, uninteresting, and cliched, with nothing beyond, 'weird things happen in the suburbs" to it. And the show does absolutely nothing to get you to care about the dead person.

It's almost objectively bad crime fiction. But the love triangle is watchable. The soap elements. Shoulda just kept that and made it funnier and lighter. Right now, it feels like a parody project from some high school students satirising how media likes to make everything dark and grounded in crime. Like a bad sophomoric joke, almost.

This doesn't even feel like a good CW show, imo, which isn't exactly the most ambitious of states to get to anyway.

I'd love to hear your recommendations for good crime fiction and murder mysteries, as its a genre I'm not too completely invested in beyond games.

Personally I am always hooked on a mystery until the pieces start falling into place. Only then can I critically evaluate it and say "wow, this was bad" or "wow, this was really good!" Until then, its very difficult for me to judge a show so harshly and say its bland and cliched, because I don't know what actually happened.

I don't think we have to care about the dead person, to be honest. No one cares that Jason died. Everyone cares about HOW Jason died. I don't need an episode with everyone moping about how cool Jason was, and in fact I'm glad they showed he was kind of a dick with the scorebook.

I would like to know more about why you think this is almost "objectively bad crime fiction." Like, what are the markers for determining that?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It did say tween, but I think to make the thread title fit without any awkward spacing, the "w" was dropped. It also makes slightly more sense as this isn't a show about tweens or even expressly targeted to tweens,

But "tween" is a play on "twin". "Teen" is too far removed from "twin".

Also, yes, I hope Moose and Kevin are destined to be together.

Joni

The 100 does 16 ep seasons, woudn't be surprised if they try and get that model for the show.

The 100 is back to 13 though. The main question will be how much fat will they cut and how much pilots will they pick up. The CW is ending up at that territory where they can only do 13 episode pick-ups because they are so jam-packed.

Is this show any good? 24 pages on GAF is surprising for something that seems very "CW".

Every single CW show that aired this season had a topic on GAF. It is the only network that has that honor.

Monocle

Hey has anyone else noticed that Archie is hot af? I thought I would point that out in case anyone hadn't noticed what I keep noticing each and every episode.

I tried watching it but the 25 year old models playing teenage schoolkids was too cringy.
Overuse of the word cringy for situations where it doesn't even fit very well is cringier than any aspect of this show.

Pachimari

Are all seasons of The 100 13 eps? that's the next cw on my list. also, is this the last season?

Nobody knows it it'll get another season or if it'll be its last. It does better than some of the other shows like Crazy Ex and Jane, but worse than the hero shows. The first season is 13 episodes, season 2 and 3 are 16 episodes each.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Are all seasons of The 100 13 eps? that's the next cw on my list. also, is this the last season?

Seasons 1 & 4 are 13 episodes, Seasons 2 & 3 are 16 episodes. Not sure if it's the last season. I'm not overly concerned. The CW was very generous with their renewals last year, and they seem to have faith in the series. I'd expect they'd at least give it a Final Season.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK great, thanks. I'd actually prefer it to have a 'final season' so i can watch it all in one go.

as it is, my week-to-week CW viewings are taking up a lot of time

4 dc shows, riverdale (and eventually izombie when it comes back)

Joni

OK great, thanks. I'd actually prefer it to have a 'final season' so i can watch it all in one go.

as it is, my week-to-week CW viewings are taking up a lot of time

4 dc shows, riverdale (and eventually izombie when it comes back)

Supergirl, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow, The 100, Supernatural, Riverdale, Vampire Diaries and Reign.

I'm a quarter of a way through the third episode and every black character is a massive asshole =/

ZeroX03

Banned
Josie isn't a dick but I'm struggling to call her nice or interesting either. Certainly the least developed of the main cast. Kevin's had more screentime than her.

Bring on the burgers! 🍔🍔🍔

ZeroX03

Banned
A classic Jughead mess around on tonight's new Riverdale!

Chapter Four: The Last Picture Show
Episode Promo
Inside: The Last Picture Show
HOLDING ON - When Jughead (Cole Sprouse) learns that an anonymous buyer has plans to tear down the local drive-in, he fights desperately to keep it open. Betty (Lili Reinhart) finds her friendship with Archie on the line after stumbling upon some startling information she's uncovered about Miss Grundy's (guest star Sarah Habel) past. Elsewhere, Veronica (Camila Mendes) confronts her mother Hermoine (Marisol Nichols) about a suspicious meeting she witnessed between her mother and a shady Southside Serpent. Finally, after uncovering Betty's diary, Alice (Madchen Amick) finds the perfect opportunity to destroy Archie's golden boy image. Madelaine Petsch and Luke Perry also star. Mark Piznarski directed the episode written by Michael Grassi (#104).
rvd104a-0419b-231594.jpg

Although Riverdale addresses storylines for each of the near dozen or so characters per episode, I can say this is a huge, huge Jughead episode. In ep 4, amongst the constellation of stars that is Lili, Camila, KJ, Madelaine, and Ashleigh, Cole shines just a little brighter than the rest. And if you've been waiting to see a reckoning for Ms. Grundy, well tune in...

Replicant

Although Riverdale addresses storylines for each of the near dozen or so characters per episode, I can say this is a huge, huge Jughead episode. In ep 4, amongst the constellation of stars that is Lili, Camila, KJ, Madelaine, and Ashleigh, Cole shines just a little brighter than the rest. And if you've been waiting to see a reckoning for Ms. Grundy, well tune in...

Are ever gonna see Moose and Dilton interact with each other like in the comics?

Pachimari

I have a hard time remembering who Kevin, Moose and Dilton are. It's like my brain can't remember them much. I remember Josie more than any of those guys.

I have a hard time remembering who Kevin, Moose and Dilton are. It's like my brain can't remember them much. I remember Josie more than any of those guys.

Kevin is Betty's best friend and the Sheriff's son. One of the essential five. Intelligent, heart of gold.

Moose is Kevin's Episode 1 fling (or was it?), and rising defensive star of the Riverdale Bulldogs. Bro, but as loyal as they come.

Dilton Doiley is the Adventure Scouts Leader. Hobbies and interests tbc...

Pachimari

Kevin is Betty's best friend and the Sheriff's son. One of the essential five. Intelligent, heart of gold.

Moose is Kevin's Episode 1 fling (or was it?), and rising defensive star of the Riverdale Bulldogs. Bro, but as loyal as they come.

Dilton Doiley is the Adventure Scouts Leader. Hobbies and interests tbc...

Is Moose also the son of the coach?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
oBeSo5s.png
KLBFe0G.png
4ryhGv4.png

Cole and KJ went out on a trip again this week after filming for season 1 concluded.

They also went out trekking last year, coincidentally around the same time the characters were doing that in the comics. It's amusing how they feel more like classic Archie and Jughead when they're out of character, lol.

tumblr_o8tfysgxcX1v4v6nso1_500.jpg

2QviuRP.png

pSKjPoX.jpg

So happy to hear this. Jughead is my favorite character and I've been waiting for some development and focus on him. I also saw somewhere that
his dad's being played by Skeet Ulrich and appears for the first time in this episode

Top Bottom