• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

Joni

I also got into the CW with The Vampire Diaries and ever since I've continued with The Originals, now The 100 and all the superhero shows and Riverdale. I saw the pilot of No Tomorrow and liked it, is it worth finishing? Does it have a fulfilling end? I also really need to get going with both Crazy Ex and Jane the Virgin; absolutely loved the first five episodes of this show.

No Tomorrow ends on a huge cliffhanger.

Dahbomb

Top suspects?
Betty's mom.
Betty but as her alter ego Polly.

Those two are prime suspects for me. #2 makes most sense to me if the assumption is true.

Aside from those two there just aren't enough characters with motive yet. Maybe we see the dark side of more characters soon.

Lothars

i still don't understand how Supernatural has lasted this long other than for the same reason Smallville did so still pissed that Veronica Mars couldn't get to season 5
Supernatural is still good and has stayed consistent throughout the whole run. I wish Veronica Mars had more seasons and it's a shame it hadn't.

LionPride

Banned
Ah UPN aka the U People Network

All the shows made for us on one network. And a lot of them were shit

Why the black network gotta be the shit one

I'm still going with Ethel as my suspect. She was straight up creepin' in the last episode and I want this to be some 4D chess master endgame where she was manipulating everyone. She throws Hiriam Lodge's money in the back of Chuck's stolen ride and drives away from the town laughing.

Dahbomb

They need more character development/redemption on Reggie because asslord Reggie is going to get old real quick. Cheryl Blossom was going there but now she has kind of come around as less crazy.

Makonero

I'm still going with Ethel as my suspect. She was straight up creepin' in the last episode and I want this to be some 4D chess master endgame where she was manipulating everyone. She throws Hiriam Lodge's money in the back of Chuck's stolen ride and drives away from the town laughing.

#JusticeForEthel

I don't know anything about archie beyond "there's a love triangle." The mystery is interesting enough for me to watch it. Also Jughead is cool.

That's really the heart of the show, the love triangle. Obviously not the murder mystery, whether one finds it interesting or not. Personally, I don't at all. Of course, there will be people who like it, and is enough to hang onto the love triangle.

But you'd have to have a really odd sense of taste to think the show's strength is the murder mystery. I find only someone who barely knows anything about crime fiction or good murder mysteries could possibly feel this way, imo.

Of all the glut of great crime fiction we get, this isn't even mediocre, imo. It's flat out sub par, and bad. Bland, uninteresting, and cliched, with nothing beyond, 'weird things happen in the suburbs" to it. And the show does absolutely nothing to get you to care about the dead person.

It's almost objectively bad crime fiction. But the love triangle is watchable. The soap elements. Shoulda just kept that and made it funnier and lighter. Right now, it feels like a parody project from some high school students satirising how media likes to make everything dark and grounded in crime. Like a bad sophomoric joke, almost.

This doesn't even feel like a good CW show, imo, which isn't exactly the most ambitious of states to get to anyway.

Pachimari

Are we gonna see you in here for the rest of the season fucking repeating yourself? If so, on my ignore list you go.

In the wake of the launch of Riverdale on the CW, Archie Comics has signed an exclusive deal with Warner Bros. Television to develop more of the publisher's properties for television and original content.

As Archie CEO Jon Goldwater tells The Hollywood Reporter, the deal extends beyond the traditional Riverdale crew of Archie, Betty and Veronica as seen in the current CW series. It could include lesser-known properties including "America's Queen of Pin-Ups and Fashions" Katy Keene, as well as the superheroes of the company's Dark Circle imprint.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-signs-development-deal-warner-bros-tv-975805
So, a Sabrina show is a go? Pleeeease.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's almost objectively bad crime fiction.

You've got to stop using the word objectively, full stop.

But you'd have to have a really odd sense of taste to think the show's strength is the murder mystery. I find only someone who barely knows anything about crime fiction or good murder mysteries could possibly feel this way, imo.

And this shit is just wrong. You're not being subtle with your "oh you like something I think is stupid, and I think you're an idiot for it".

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/831507386150092801

Super short valentine's day message by Cole and KJ.

Cole's smile though.
QT595Kw.gif

Dahbomb

If this was just a high school rom com then I would have checked out within the first episode. I know that's what Archie was at its core but that's also why I stopped reading it after a while. Characters barely developed, stories barely progressed and it was just a monotonous cycle stretched out to sell comics, which is udedstandable.

At least there is some overarching story here that people who watch every week can follow. If I wanted a rom com with hijinks and limited plot/character development I can just rewatch Friends or How I Met Your Mother.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

She's who I have my eye on now too. She even got the hashtag treatment from Cheryl. Suspicious!

Fancolors

hey guys, I'm interested on reading the comics. Does anyone know what is a good place to begin with? Do I need any previous Archie knowledge to read that one with the Punisher? Or the one with Predator?

Dude, it's okay to not like the show, but you seem to have this really bad habit of trying to invalidate people's opinions

ZeroX03

Banned
hey guys, I'm interested on reading the comics. Does anyone know what is a good place to begin with? Do I need any previous Archie knowledge to read that one with the Punisher? Or the one with Predator?

Mark Waid's current Archie run is a fantastic modern take, should be the most recognizable to the show.

Dahbomb

This season is going to be 13 episode right? That's good length because I don't want this murder mystery stretched out for 26 episodes like the standard CW shows.

Fuu

This season is going to be 13 episode right? That's good length because I don't want this murder mystery stretched out for 26 episodes like the standard CW shows.
yeah, 13 and they confirmed the murder will be solved in this season.

Is there an episode this week?

Also, never sure who wants to know what so I'll spoiler tag it to be safe..in regards to Polly

Polly was cast so this should end any theories of Betty being Polly, no? - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1975050/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t17

I always believed that Polly was indeed real, though her being cast just confirms that. Polly remains my suspect, whether it's actually her or Betty's "Polly" persona instead

ryseing

you say "quality teen soap drama with cheesecake shots" like it's a bad thing

Seriously. We haven't had one of those since TVD went to shit. Riverdale isn't quite there yet but it definitely has the potential.

Television is better when there's a good teen soap.

I'm here for the murder mystery but don't know if I will watch beyond the murder mystery subplot.

I'm open to being impressed of course.

To add to the last few posts, got into CW shows with Smallville, then Supernatural, Vampire Diaries

Once Arrow came on, I realized 80% of my tv viewing belonged to the CW....that's really impressive

Fuu

The show started airing officially in Brazil on the Warner channel this week. Seems to be getting a decent push in newspapers and girl magazines, where they're making sure to mention Camila's parents are Brazilian. Some exclusive interviews with the cast too on local websites.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Where do they find these actors?! They must grow them in a warehouse lab in Vancouver. Reinhart is on another level with that magazine cover.

I might expand my Archie-verse haul tomorrow when I hit up the comic shop. I've been sticking to just Archie, Afterlife with Archie, and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Thinking about dipping my toes into Josie & The Pussycats and Jughead too.

kirblar

The 100 does 16 ep seasons, woudn't be surprised if they try and get that model for the show.

ZeroX03

Banned
Where do they find these actors?! They must grow them in a warehouse lab in Vancouver. Reinhart is on another level with that magazine cover.

I might expand my Archie-verse haul tomorrow when I hit up the comic shop. I've been sticking to just Archie, Afterlife with Archie, and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Thinking about dipping my toes into Josie & The Pussycats and Jughead too.

Current Jughead is pretty good, not as good as Archie but still worth reading. Waid is taking it over too.

Fuu

Jughead is pretty fun. I still need to check out Josie. I've been wondering about the new Reggie series by Tom DeFalco too, I already like that dachshund.

9Nfj4YF.jpg

Current Jughead is pretty good, not as good as Archie but still worth reading. Waid is taking it over too.
I kinda liked the idea of different comedic writers writing a few issues then passing the torch to another, but I'm definitely not opposed to more Waid.

edit: looks like he'll be co-writing it with Ian Flynn (Mega Man).

http://comicbook.com/2017/02/14/mark-waid-and-ian-flynn-to-take-over-jughead/

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously. We haven't had one of those since TVD went to shit. Riverdale isn't quite there yet but it definitely has the potential.

I miss when TVD was good. I haven't watched it in a while, but I will watch when Nina comes back.

Elitist1945

I don't remember which episode but there was a part of the soundtrack that made me instantly think of the Archie's Weird Mysteries theme. Idk if I'm just making that shit up though.

Faddy

Banned

Let's talk about Ethel and the Playbook

First thing to note are the boys names.

Last year it was 1. Thomas, 2. Jason, 3. Moose, 4. Reggie, 5. Chuck and 6. Dave
This year it is 1. Chuck, 2. Reggie, 3. Andrew, 4. Steve, 5. Scott, 6. Moose

The fact there is 6 of them seems to be a thing and Chuck jumps from number 5 all the way to 1 showing he is a playa while poor Moose ain't making enough plays and drops to 6.

Then for Ethel we see she went with Thomas and Reggie in the same week (BRO SHARE!!) and the "big girl" comment isn't necessarily about her. And after summer break Ethel drops from a 7.5 to a 6. (or 6.5)

Also Veronica is only scored an 8 + 1 for being a new girl. These boys have a serious CW grading curve. Can't wait until we see Stephanie (9).

AoM

I guess the point is to be wary of the Twin Peaks comparisons, given the only similarities are (some) attractive actors and the murder mystery.

Grizzlyjin

Midge. Yeah Moose! I'm guessing they got a more platonic thing and he's using her as a beard. Or maybe Moose is bi.

What brought this slut shame thing home for me is that my university literally had the exact same thing happen. Except it was a Facebook group with photos, and a frat not a football team. So every part of this rang true for me, even women defending the dudes.

Faddy

Banned
What's going on in that Moose entry, is it "actually found his locker (11)"? rofl

It is saying that he doesn't actually have much interest in girls. Then he wants to experiment with Kevin

Another entry says "3% of girls responded to moose ↑"

Code:
Moose is gay

Fuu

It is saying that he doesn't actually have much interest in girls. Then he wants to experiment with Kevin

Another entry says "3% of girls responded to moose ↑"

Code:
Moose is gay
speaking of which, I need Kevin to stop snubbing him so we can get a proper make out scene.

Vengal

never liked Supernatural, the one that begun my decent into the CW hole of gorgeous hunks was Flash.

I had a crazy 2008 where I got Swine Flu, then a kidney infection, then shingles. While i was down I binged through all of Supernatural with my wife then I started down the dark path of Vampire Diaries with her and now I watch everything they show.

Top Bottom