• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROBOCOP Remake script leaked? "Total Recall seems like a masterpiece compared to it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=65577

Spoilers?

In the film, when Murphy is turned into Robocop 1.0, it's described "a high-tech version of the '80s suit." Then they show a focus group scene where criminals laugh at the design. "He looks like a toy from the '80s!" So they redesign him to look "meaner" as Robocop 2.0, who passes focus group approval. So they not only make sure to include the original design, they also point out it's dated and stupid.

Hold onto your sides for more hilarious "Robocop" details. They outsource his construction to China. #seriously

By page 54, they are already onto Robocop 4.0, who looks like a "cop on steroids painted metallic blue." Oh, god... oh dear god... Robocop is a Transformer. He goes from "social mode" to "combat mode" and back. Full transformation

In the film, when Murphy is turned into Robocop 1.0, it's described "a high-tech version of the '80s suit." Then they show a focus group scene where criminals laugh at the design. "He looks like a toy from the '80s!" So they redesign him to look "meaner" as Robocop 2.0, who passes focus group approval. So they not only make sure to include the original design, they also point out it's dated and stupid.
Fuck this movie, if this is true.

So it sounds like a satire of modern times.

Edit: Isn't Robo's suit black in the movie? You know like in the teaser poster.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So, this remake goes out of its way to mock the original design? What the hell is wrong with it?

Phoenix

Yay. Keep remakin Hollywood. And keep bombing on your remakes. You are gradually decreasing your relevance through shitty product.

akira28

Sounds like a modern day satire.

Awesome action throwback remake, or satirical commentary on modern media and society? Which do we want? Why can't I have both?

Also, burn this film and hit the reset button. No need to focus on the cutesy foibles of corporate design. Criminal focus groups? Give me my boardroom full of evil executives, fool! Whoever came up with the china joke deserves to have an eye poked with a stick.

skybaby

Focus groups for stupid shit, "social" mode and outsourcing to china... if this isn't over the top satire of current times, I don't know what is.

It sounds like they're trying to make the satirical edge of the film more obvious, but they've made a total mess of it.

Okay, I've read the rest of the article... what the fuck?

LakeEarth

No I think it really is a focus group of criminals in the movie. The idea that robocop goes through several variations throughout the movie

Maybe a scene where they are trying to figure out what design would intimidate criminals the most? I guess that makes sense. Why they would have the criminals laugh at the iconic Robocop design is beyond me though.

RoboCop is one of those thing's that is defined by the time period it came out. Making it less cheesy or making the special effects all CG would kind of kill the whole point.

RoboCop isn't supposed to be 'good'. It's an awesome 80's shitfest. Like Commando or They Live!.

G-Fex

iMWrPoqRgBNG3.gif

akira28

Hollywood remaking movies isn't exactly new. In fact it has been going on since the golden days.

We're just not used to being old enough to remember reading Dracula, seeing Max Schreck, seeing Bela Lugosi, all within the same relative contemporary line. We're used to our mega-remakes being lifetimes(for a youngster) apart. But Hollywood is desperate and uninspired enough to keep sifting through the 2nd hand thrift shop for ideas that we're seeing remakes made within a decade, which seems to be such an odd thing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Someone shows Pope, head of the OCP project, some mock-ups for Robocop action figures. "Are you kidding? I wouldn't buy that for a dollar!"

Uggggh. I read Sony Pictures is working on this along with MGM. Is Sony's tactic for remakes just "make little winks to the original as much as possible"? They did that in Total Recall too.

TheMan

oh gee, who woulda thunk that this remake would be a pile of shit. the day aranofsky was no longer associated with the project was the day this was destined to be utter mierda.

RoboCop is one of those thing's that is defined by the time period it came out. Making it less cheesy or making the special effects all CG would kind of kill the whole point.

RoboCop isn't supposed to be 'good'. It's an awesome 80's shitfest. Like Commando or They Live!.

And this is why remakes are almost always entirely pointless. You can remake the movie but you can't remake the context. The time has passed. It doesn't mean anything anymore to harken back all the time.

The 80's are over folks. They were fun (and incredibly stupid) while they lasted. The year is 2012 now. What does that mean to you? Artists don't know. You don't know. I don't know either, and therein lies the problem.

bro1

Banned
maybe since the first one was kind of a satire, this is the satire portion? Focus groups, outsourcing, etc.

FLEABttn

Banned
It's hard to imagine a film less subtle than Paul Verhoeven's original.

But here we are...

Despite the lack of subtlety in the original, I always end up saying "Robocop is satire" to everyone who has seen the movie and didn't like it, with the response usually being a drawn out "oh". It never dawned on them.

And this is why remakes are almost always entirely pointless. You can remake the movie but you can't remake the context. The time has passed. It doesn't mean anything anymore to harken back all the time.

The 80's are over folks. They were fun (and incredibly stupid) while they lasted. The year is 2012 now. What does that mean to you? Artists don't know. You don't know. I don't know either, and therein lies the problem.

It means we should let the 80's be the 80's and make movies based on new ideas instead of constant rehashes.

Now, I love the 80's. Can't get enough of them. But I'm not interested in bastardized re-imaginings that completely miss the point.

I couldn't be happier with Total Recall failing. It sets a very, very good precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom