• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RoboCop: Rogue City |OT| Somebody Call A Goddamn Paramedic!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Gerstmann with his usual shit opinions.

"So bad its good"

No fatass, it's actually really good full stop.

797 reviews with these criteria:

- purchased on Steam
- played above 10 hours

95%, Overwhelmingly Positive.

But no, let's get in the thread and post some stupid shit about streamer playing the game like we're 10 years old and our mother allowed us to watched YouTube Kids for half an hour so we shut the fuck up and not bother her.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You snooze, you lose.

So rebellious, I like it!

Can't wait for more of your 'posts' in the OT for a game that you never played. You're genius!
So the thread is allowed only for people who bought the game? Or for those who played it? how many hours or trophies one must have to post here?
Where are the rules? Will I get banned? Afaik I've posted ABOUT THE GAME.

Gerstmann with his usual shit opinions.

"So bad its good"

No fatass, it's actually really good full stop.
Well he is EXTREMELY enthusiastic about the game. He says it's janky but excellent. In a good way.
he didn't say that exactly. I paraphrased.
You know, when robocop says "your son is dead, that is all, thank you" he burst out laughing because this is weird line to say with bad voice acting lol.
I mean - it is clearly a janky game. Not that it ever was a problem. And it crashed on him and stutters. But that's anecdotal at best.
Performance doesn't matter to me too much.

Again - It's a game I will buy for sure. Just not sure what platform yet. And if I got it tomorrow, I would not play it for weeks anyway. This is a backlog game 100% for me.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So the thread is allowed only for people who bought the game? Or for those who played it? how many hours or trophies one must have to post here?

It's clear as day that you have nothing to say. Why even bother.

You know, when robocop says "your son is dead, that is all, thank you" he burst out laughing because this is weird line to say with bad voice acting lol.

He clearly do not understand the source material. He's part machine. Empathy is not his strong suit. Bad voice acting? Are you serious?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
797 reviews with these criteria:

- purchased on Steam
- played above 10 hours

95%, Overwhelmingly Positive.

But no, let's get in the thread and post some stupid shit about streamer playing the game like we're 10 years old and our mother allowed us to watched YouTube Kids for half an hour so we shut the fuck up and not bother her.
This is exactly what the thread is for. Posting stuff about the game. Jeff Gerstmann is a well known reviewer and he praised the game... so what is your problem again?
The game is clear AA jank city. But that's the charm of it. Robocop was never the pianist lol. And robocop game shouldnever be tlou.
You are awfully defensive about this game for no reason.

Where were you when immortals of Aveum came out? It's about the same class of game

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Well he is EXTREMELY enthusiastic about the game. He says it's janky but excellent. In a good way.
he didn't say that exactly. I paraphrased.
I mean - it is clearly a janky game. Not that it ever was a problem. And it crashed on him and stutters. But that's anecdotal at best.
Performance doesn't matter to me too much.

Again - It's a game I will buy for sure. Just not sure what platform yet. And if I got it tomorrow, I would not play it for weeks anyway. This is a backlog game 100% for me.

The voice acting for Robo is fuckin perfect because its LITERALLY Peter fucking Weller.

It is a funny line though. There's a bunch of them, especially coming from him. The deadpan delivery is half of it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's clear as day that you have nothing to say. Why even bother.

He clearly do not understand the source material. He's part machine. Empathy is not his strong suit. Bad voice acting? Are you serious?
Not robocop voice acting. The criminals at the police station are awfully funny.
And yes. He understands the source material. he is a big robocop fan lol.
It's about the delivery. It's a comedy. It's funny as robocop delivers sad news in this robotic voice. ITS GOOD. learn to read
The voice acting for Robo is fuckin perfect because its LITERALLY Peter fucking Weller.

It is a funny line though. There's a bunch of them, especially coming from him. The deadpan delivery is half of it.
not robocop. The civilians, sorry

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Not robocop voice acting. The criminals at the police station are awfully funny.
And yes. He understands the source materal. he is a big robocop fan lol

not robocop. The civilians, sorry

Yeah some of the voice acting is def corny and sometimes questionable, but thats usually what you get with small team AA action. Personally I find that it adds a lot of charm to the game. Terminator was the same way.

MiguelItUp

Watching Jeff Gerstmann stream. he loves the game in "so bad it's good" and I can see that.
He got a 4090 and the game is really stuttering and there is a ton of pop in I see.
I though nanite means no pop in.
Weird. I was on a 3080 with everything on Ultra and had no issues with stuttering or pop-in. I DID experience a random bug once that sent my FPS into chug mode, but I relaunched and it was all good.

Vick

Exactly.

They fucking nailed the humor, already laughed out loud a couple of times and I'm still in the first open area doing side quests.

Weller performance is chef kiss in this. Loving the game as a whole obviously, and it feels so damn fresh to play for hours a new game without spotting obvious agendas all over the place. Priceless.

Just not sure what platform yet.
After reaching the first open area, game is clearly not locked 60fps on PS5 either, and some pannings in cutscenes stutters visibly.

I personally don't care, don't want them to downgrade the game because I've read that's what they did to deliver better performances on the Demo. Feels good to play and looks great.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
and it feels so damn fresh to play for hours a new game without spotting obvious agendas all over the place. Priceless.

Part of the reason this might just be my #1 for the year. It's truly a shut your brain off to the world and enjoy the game type game without any present day bullshit socio political interference. And it's sad that this sort of experience is so rare nowadays.

MiguelItUp

The amazing thing about Teyon is that they're a very dedicated and passionate AA studio, clearly. I mean, you can see it in their work in more ways than one. It's pretty sad to see people compare them to AAA studios/games with much larger budgets and teams, because it's obvious that there's a discrepancy there.

I think the biggest glaring "issue" revolves around facial animations, I'm sure some will say the voice work too. But honestly I felt like that kind of fit the whole 80's/90's schlock schtick.

But between the gameplay, the visuals, and then some. It's special that a game like this can outperform many modern AAA games in a number of ways.

I'd LOVE to see them get a larger budget.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The amazing thing about Teyon is that they're a very dedicated and passionate AA studio, clearly. I mean, you can see it in their work in more ways than one. It's pretty sad to see people compare them to AAA studios/games with much larger budgets and teams, because it's obvious that there's a discrepancy there.

I think the biggest glaring "issue" revolves around facial animations, I'm sure some will say the voice work too. But honestly I felt like that kind of fit the whole 80's/90's schlock schtick.

Well, faces could use some (a lot) of work. Voice acting is great in the context of the game. It just fits right in.

And why nobody is talking about this AMAZING piece of music. Such a great theme.

If sequel happens, it would be amazing to have a slightly bigger map (but not like entire city) and ability to drive around.

Keep that open world stuff away from games like this. There's an abundance of them already.

But between the gameplay, the visuals, and then some. It's special that a game like this can outperform many modern AAA games in a number of ways.

I'm just glad some people have the ability to recognize and identify stuff like this in a game. Its a shame most don't and tend to do a shallow scan. Its no wonder the big budget games are pretty as can be, but shallow as a puddle in every other department in most cases.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Exactly.

They fucking nailed the humor, already laughed out loud a couple of times and I'm still in the first open area doing side quests.

Weller performance is chef kiss in this. Loving the game as a whole obviously, and it feels so damn fresh to play for hours a new game without spotting obvious agendas all over the place. Priceless.

After reaching the first open area, game is clearly not locked 60fps on PS5 either, and some pannings in cutscenes stutters visibly.

I personally don't care, don't want them to downgrade the game because I've read that's what they did to deliver better performances on the Demo. Feels good to play and looks great.
yeah this is a pc game it seems. and it's much cheaper on pc too.

MiguelItUp

Well, faces could use some (a lot) of work. Voice acting is great in the context of the game. It just fits right in.

And why nobody is talking about this AMAZING piece of music. Such a great theme.

True! Man, the Robocop theme is a theme that will randomly pop into my head from time to time, so it clearly stuck with me since I was a kid (I loved Robocop a LOT). Hearing it here and the different renditions was SO damn good. I got goosebumps in the demo when it kicked in at the beginning of the game, haha.

SCB3

True! Man, the Robocop theme is a theme that will randomly pop into my head from time to time, so it clearly stuck with me since I was a kid (I loved Robocop a LOT). Hearing it here and the different renditions was SO damn good. I got goosebumps in the demo when it kicked in at the beginning of the game, haha.
I always confuse it and the Terminator main them, both very similar, both give me those nostalgia feels

So a good 8 hours in and really enjoying this, it does make me crave a new Judge Dread game in this vain as well, hell give me a Dread vs Death remake, that game was awesome

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
To those who finished it: is it possible to fully upgrade all skills? I just did the first free roaming city section and fully upgraded the deduction skill to get the 30 percent xp increase. What others do you recommend?

protonion

To those who finished it: is it possible to fully upgrade all skills? I just did the first free roaming city section and fully upgraded the deduction skill to get the 30 percent xp increase. What others do you recommend?
I also maxed deduction first for the exp bonus.
I couldn't max everything at the end but I missed several exp opportunities.

Combat, vitality, armor and engineering.
I wouldn't bother with the rest.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Deduction is a must. If you're going for a platinum or 1000G run, get Engineering perk 2 to hack things.

Vick

What the fuck at the second big area.. this game looks photoreal, and here it's rock solid 60fps.

0lF4y9Z.gif

I'm confident I've never seen this geometry in a real videogame before, let alone at 60fps under such lighting and relatively clean and sharp IQ. UE5 is the real deal.

adamsapple

Bro. Focus. You need the bullet time.

Honestly, I didn't end up using that at all.

The health ones, especially the perks which let you get free health from the electronic boards, are great cause it's extra free health packs.

Combat + speccing the right gun mods can practically make it so that you never need to bother with a secondary weapon at all. Your auto-pistol is basically a gattling gun.

adamsapple

First console comparison. Looks like another case like AW2 where the Series X seems to be much more stable in the performance mode.

Let's see if other comparisons say the same.

LjbkBYh.png

sinnergy

First console comparison. Looks like another case like AW2 where the Series X seems to be much more stable in the performance mode.

LjbkBYh.png

Xbox has more compute and higher memory bandwidth, probably the reason .

Damn, so getting back to this after finishing off Alan Wake and I've gotta say this can get really difficult, for a walking Tank RoboCop does not take a lot of Damage and doesn't move quick at all, just finished the Quarry mission with the boss fight at the end
Fucking Ed-209! I knew it would be a fight in this, but its really good

it did take me a fair few attempts to get through this level, those fucking Landmines in the water fucking suck so much, you can barely see them and Robo's scanner doesn't pick them up
I threw a metal trash container and it set off the mines. Easy peasy.

And listen to the bleeps. You can walk around the first part of water with mines by following a dirt path. :)

Last edited:

SCB3

I threw a metal trash container and it set off the mines. Easy peasy.

And listen to the bleeps. You can walk around the first part of water with mines by following a dirt path. :)
Oh don't worry they repeat this trick a bit later

This game is a bit longer than I was expecting,
Just past the Prison Riot
though I now have Full Armor, Health and Combat stats, a real walking tank, focus is next for slow mo

Although I do have a question, why the fuck would I use any other gun than the Auto-9, this thing destroys enemies with the later PCB upgrades (I really, really like the puzzle part of those upgrades, it works so well)

Oh don't worry they repeat this trick a bit later

This game is a bit longer than I was expecting,
Just past the Prison Riot
though I now have Full Armor, Health and Combat stats, a real walking tank, focus is next for slow mo

Although I do have a question, why the fuck would I use any other gun than the Auto-9, this thing destroys enemies with the later PCB upgrades (I really, really like the puzzle part of those upgrades, it works so well)
Yeah I dont know. My Auto-9 currently has full auto and no reload. It rips through anything!

I only found out yesterday after playing the 2nd playthrough on my 4K tv that the game was set to performance.
Switched to Quality and HOLY SHITBALLS!!!! Now I HAVE to start over AGAIN!

And that mine thing, yeah sneaky af.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

Ah finally got all the Tophies for it. I don't do it often for games but this is one of the few I felt I had to. I have zero doubt this is my GOTY. So far this studio hasn't done a sequel to a game that I've seen but man I would give anything for a sequel to this game. I just can't say it enough. They 100 percent nailed what a RoboCop game should be. They've singlehandedly revived this franchise.

Dr.Morris79

Ah finally got all the Tophies for it. I don't do it often for games but this is one of the few I felt I had to. I have zero doubt this is my GOTY. So far this studio hasn't done a sequel to a game that I've seen but man I would give anything for a sequel to this game. I just can't say it enough. They 100 percent nailed what a RoboCop game should be. They've singlehandedly revived this franchise.
They need to do Aliens. A proper LV426 ALIENS!

9z9cOhq.gif

Vick

This game man..

Praise The Lord Applause GIF

They need to do Aliens. A proper LV426 ALIENS!

9z9cOhq.gif
I need a damn horror Jurassic Park.

Alien got a great game.
Terminator got a great game.
RoboCop got a great game.

Either that of Predator, but I'd prefer JP honestly.

LjbkBYh.png

Yeah that's what I was talking about, I'm fine with the Performance on PS5 because I don't want them to downgrade the game.

Xbox version is missing all lights in the distant and not-so-distant buildings, reason why there was that discrepancy in this regard with the PC version in the earlier comparison posted.

I'll be for damn sure replaying the physical version of this game on most performant machines in the future so I truly hope they keep it as is. Hell, don't even want John to release a comparison in fear of Teyon bringing visuals and resolution on par with the Xbox version for more stable performances in those few sections.

One thing that made me crack up was the mission with Lewis before the Steel Mill

Lewis: "What was your contacts name, Gurkin or something?"
Robo: "Pickleeeesssss"

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It transported me to the time of Xbox 360 and games I enjoyed playing. Its a sleeper hit and my potential GOTY. Thank you GAF for bringing this gem to my attention, after a lot of shitty high profile releases, I thought gaming is no longer for me, I was wrong.

DaGwaphics

LjbkBYh.png

Great to see 60fps modes that put some effort into actually being 60fps, after a few releases we got I was beginning to wonder. Looks like XSX stays well within the VRR/Freesync range in the moments when it drops, nice!

Not all that familiar with this channel though, I guess we'll see if there is consensus with these results soon.

Top Bottom