• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RoboCop: Rogue City |OT| Somebody Call A Goddamn Paramedic!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Didn't had time to play the game proper cuz of work and stuff. But I've finished all missions/quests and vacuum cleaned the first major location of Detroit and found everything. It's astounding just how much this game reminds me of games like Deus Ex and Riddick games when it comes to what you do outside of combat and stuff like that. There's so much work put into just this part of the game alone, that everything esle (side and story quests, nodes to the first few movies etc.) is the icing on the cake. If the game lacks the budget in a few areas, it wins you over cuz of what it's doing extremely well and it's absolutely everything but character animations (icl. idle animations) and lip sync - RoboCop not included cuz he's pretty much 10/10 perfect as in the movies.

But... you can't manualy save the game at all and you don't know when the game will autosave or not. You can complete a few quests, find a lot of crime stuff and clues, but the game won't autosave, and then at a certain point it autosaves cuz it feels like it, but if you close the game and it didn't autosaved your progress - go and do it all again. There's no control over autosave features either, so you can force the game to save every 1-5 min for example. I mean, there's really no reason at all for all this in 2023. If Deus Ex and Riddick games many years ago allowed me to save everywhere, why can't I do that in a similar game in 2023? You can't even rely on autosaves for that matter.

Other than that though, I'm having a blast playing the game and can't wait to get back to it. Also, the armor design from the second movie looks absolutely amazing in combination with pitch black Auto-9:

OArH14H.jpg
LCy9el7.jpg
9o02dI1.jpg
1FmHFqM.jpg

Last edited:

Vick

Dude you get so hilariously overpowered around mid game it's absolutely hysterical even on Extreme. You really "really feel like RoboCop".

Fully auto and competently upgraded Auto 9 is the most fun weapon I've used in games since I don't even know when.

Dude you get so hilariously overpowered around mid game it's absolutely hysterical even on Extreme. You really "really feel like RoboCop".

Fully auto and competently upgraded Auto 9 is the most fun weapon I've used in games since I don't even know when.
The enemies can kill you just as easily though, given their huge numbers

Vick

The enemies can kill you just as easily though, given their huge numbers
Not really, when you explored every inch and did everything providing experience so you walk around with fully upgraded armor and regenerating health.

Did the hundred prototype robots fight and haven't died once, also got the Trophy for killing them all in under 10 minutes. Between that and the Prison chapter they must have shot at least a couple million bullets at me.

Sure, you can't just stand there for minutes taking it all but who does that?

It's a great game, but it has crashed way too many times on me. I've had to redo three long gun fights because of crashes. I didn't lose as much progress from the other crashes, but they were still annoying. It needs a patch.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's a great game, but it has crashed way too many times on me. I've had to redo three long gun fights because of crashes. I didn't lose as much progress from the other crashes, but they were still annoying. It needs a patch.
Just wondering here, are you playing PC or console version? If you're playing on PC, which hardware are you playing the game on (CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD)? I haven't had a single crash over ~10 hrs of playtime so far (4K DLSS Quality, maxed out settings), but they haven't fixed shader compilation stutters when it comes to alpha effects such as explosions etc. especially when they're very close to the camera. As for traversal stutters though... it's waaaay better than in the demo before they've updated it so no complaints here.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Didn't had time to play the game proper cuz of work and stuff. But I've finished all missions/quests and vacuum cleaned the first major location of Detroit and found everything. It's astounding just how much this game reminds me of games like Deus Ex and Riddick games when it comes to what you do outside of combat and stuff like that. There's so much work put into just this part of the game alone, that everything esle (side and story quests, nodes to the first few movies etc.) is the icing on the cake. If the game lacks the budget in a few areas, it wins you over cuz of what it's doing extremely well and it's absolutely everything but character animations (icl. idle animations) and lip sync - RoboCop not included cuz he's pretty much 10/10 perfect as in the movies.

But... you can't manualy save the game at all and you don't know when the game will autosave or not. You can complete a few quests, find a lot of crime stuff and clues, but the game won't autosave, and then at a certain point it autosaves cuz it feels like it, but if you close the game and it didn't autosaved your progress - go and do it all again. There's no control over autosave features either, so you can force the game to save every 1-5 min for example. I mean, there's really no reason at all for all this in 2023. If Deus Ex and Riddick games many years ago allowed me to save everywhere, why can't I do that in a similar game in 2023? You can't even rely on autosaves for that matter.

Other than that though, I'm having a blast playing the game and can't wait to get back to it. Also, the armor design from the second movie looks absolutely amazing in combination with pitch black Auto-9:

OArH14H.jpg
LCy9el7.jpg
9o02dI1.jpg
1FmHFqM.jpg
So there’s no auto-save, but, can I just put the PS5 in rest mode like I did/do every single game I ever played on a PS4 and PS5 when I have to suddenly stop to do something else ?

Piggoro

Knowing that Max Payne remake is being made on UE5 and looking at dilapidated environments that UE5 can produce in Robocop, gives me real HYPE.
Edit: nevermind. I just had some fake memories

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So there’s no auto-save, but, can I just put the PS5 in rest mode like I did/do every single game I ever played on a PS4 and PS5 when I have to suddenly stop to do something else ?
The game has auto save feature, it's just you don't know when it'll auto save and you don't have control over it at all (unless there's already a mod available for this, idk). As for PS5's rest mode.... I guess if it works for you and as long as you don't hard exit/close the game, It should work.

Vick

Man they really need to fix the glitching trees in Downtown. It's not that big of a deal normally because you could just not look at the leaves, but when you go there at dusk the real-time shadows they cast are therefore glitched too and that's much, much more noticeable.
Should be a quick and easy fix that would completely transform the interested areas of that chapter.

Shed a tear at my final evaluation by the way, that was truly touching.
Olivia is a such a wonderful female character. Love these devs.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Not really, when you explored every inch and did everything providing experience so you walk around with fully upgraded armor and regenerating health.

Did the hundred prototype robots fight and haven't died once, also got the Trophy for killing them all in under 10 minutes. Between that and the Prison chapter they must have shot at least a couple million bullets at me.

Dude we already discussed this in the past, you are just super skilled at videogames :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But yeah the game is kinda easy on max difficulty when you are fully upgraded.

I mean in a way yeah. The only times I died is when I waited too much to activate my armor or use a repair kit, because I thought I could take some more punishment before doing so.
When you have armor, vitality, focus, engineering at least at level 2 and full auto on your gun, youre unstoppable.

Vick

Nice little Basic Instinct homage that whole secondary mission. Well played Teyon.

Also, the armor design from the second movie looks absolutely amazing in combination with pitch black Auto-9:

OArH14H.jpg
LCy9el7.jpg
9o02dI1.jpg
1FmHFqM.jpg
Yeah it's lovely, the standard version is just too monochromatic.

Dude we already discussed this in the past, you are just super skilled at videogames :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But yeah the game is kinda easy on max difficulty when you are fully upgraded.
Nah, I think I got lucky with chips and made a devastating customization for the Auto 9. Makes you breeze through human encounters no matter how heavily armored within seconds. Rate of fire (unmodifiable) is absolutely ridiculous.

Scared shitless to face RoboCain I saw in the Trailer though.

When you have armor, vitality, focus, engineering at least at level 2 and full auto on your gun, youre unstoppable.
Exactly.
Don't like using focus though, it kills the momentum.

Denton

Knowing that Max Payne remake is being made on UE5 and looking at dilapidated environments that UE5 can produce in Robocop, gives me real HYPE.
The fuck? Why would Remedy not use Northlight, ffs

edit - where did you read this UE5 info? Seems like BS.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Nah, I think I got lucky with chips and made a devastating customization for the Auto 9. Makes you breeze through human encounters no matter how heavily armored within seconds. Rate of fire (unmodifiable) is absolutely ridiculous.
I just finished the second story mission at the Steel Mill (which was amazing from start to finish) and found pretty killer mobo for the Auto 9 which let's you fire indefinitely without reloading - provided you have the nice components, it's INSANELY GOOD! Plus the bullets fired at a close range split and almost act like shotgun shells. I mean, fuck, gunplay is absolutely sublime in this game and without a doubt one of the most satisfying gunplay mechanics since DOOM 2016. You can feel each bullet impacting an enemy or a surface with satisfying visual effect, distruction and sound, each blowed head and brain splatter on the walls, it's just never gets old and always put a wide af smile on your face. Moreover, you still need to think what you do and can't just stand still or go straight and shoot, there's various enemy types which can put you down in no time using plain numbers and it's good, cuz there's also plenty of ways to kill enemies faster using ricochet shots, environment, various things you can pick up etc.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
It’s strange, looking at OpenCritic and Metacritic, that critics seem to like Assassin’s Creed Mirage more than this. By the gameplay looks of it, it seems Robo is more fun.
Wonder why the majority of reviews prefer Mirage?

Enjoying it quite a bit myself. Not had any crashing or performance issues on PC really, only annoyance is that it sometimes disconnects my controller (it only happens on this game) and I have to disconnect and wait a moment before plugging it back in to register. May end up doing it again 15 minutes later so it gets annoying to play at times.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And people wonder why CDPR are switching to Unreal Engine 5 for the Cyberpunk sequel..

Well ... I think a lot of it depends on the talent as well.

Look at how badly optimized Lords of the Fallen is, especially on console.

UE5 isn't a magic bullet.

Just wondering here, are you playing PC or console version? If you're playing on PC, which hardware are you playing the game on (CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD)? I haven't had a single crash over ~10 hrs of playtime so far (4K DLSS Quality, maxed out settings), but they haven't fixed shader compilation stutters when it comes to alpha effects such as explosions etc. especially when they're very close to the camera. As for traversal stutters though... it's waaaay better than in the demo before they've updated it so no complaints here.
I'm on Xbox Series X. I'm probably the only person playing that version if the Xbox sales numbers are true. They probably didn't put very much time into testing it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For people who finished it, which auto9 board did you end up sticking with?

I stayed with this one after getting it.

Tier 3.2

Nothing too fancy but full auto + armor piercing + almost 100% faster load times go a long way.

RoboCop-Rogue-City-ALL-PCB-Board-Locations-06-1421x799.jpg

It’s strange, looking at OpenCritic and Metacritic, that critics seem to like Assassin’s Creed Mirage more than this. By the gameplay looks of it, it seems Robo is more fun.
Wonder why the majority of reviews prefer Mirage?
Gaming journalists/reviewers haven't been trustworthy for a while. There's already been quite a few cases where there has been a valley of difference between what the actual gamers like and what the gaming press choose to endorse. You just gotta be more open minded than them.

Last edited:
Anyone walked over to the electronics store at night?

TV "Tonight: Is your air freshener secretly trying to kill you?"
I pissed myself....

Vick

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

"Bitches, come"

"In other news, why do balloons make that popping sound?"

"Just die gracefully you old fuck"

Those two minutes killed me.

New patch is out, and has the single best out-of-context patchnote I've ever read:
Fixed Pickles

Last edited:
I had to sell Robo..... Hurt like hell. Was on my 4th playthrough but my son needed money for a schooltrip.... Allready spent 1000+ on bills and car repairs..

I will buy it again eventually but I just feel sad for having to sell it....... This was the 1 game that I would've never sold if this situation didnt rear its ugly head.....

Gofundme page will be posted here :p

Gaming journalists/reviewers haven't been trustworthy for a while. There's already been quite a few cases where there has been a valley of difference between what the actual gamers like and what the gaming press choose to endorse. You just gotta be more open minded than them.
In fairness if you are not a fan of Robocop (and who under 30 really is) I can see why this game is dismissed.

Single player campaign FPS games are kind of a relic.

In fairness if you are not a fan of Robocop (and who under 30 really is) I can see why this game is dismissed.

What are you trying to suggest then? Single player FPSs shouldn't continue to be made?

Some of us would like to avoid money-pinching live services and GAAS. Btw, not everyone whose enjoying this game has necessarily been a hardcore RoboCop fan or something like that. That really shouldn't account into a seemingly professional verdict in any case. A game should be assessed on its own merits and by the sum of its parts.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The game is a good fps power fantasy even without knowing robocop movies, also single player fps are a relic?

People got crazy for the last 2 dooms dude and every good boomer shooter get praised by almost everyone.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I stayed with this one after getting it.

Tier 3.2

Nothing too fancy but full auto + armor piercing + almost 100% faster load times go a long way.

RoboCop-Rogue-City-ALL-PCB-Board-Locations-06-1421x799.jpg
There's another PCB which allows you to fire Auto 9 indefinitely (no need to reload at all) + it has 62-65% bonus to damage and bullets split into multiple progetiles at close range and you basically shooting shotgun shells very fast. Try using that one. After I've found this PCB, I'm using it since and so far there's no reason for me to change it. I also like single shot one, but it's not Auto 9 with it installed in my eyes, even if bonus to damage is good.

Eiknarf

Banned
That just show the state of modern vg journaoism and how useless metacritic is.
But we kinda need a tool to help us as consumers determine what to spend our money on.

So in theory, reviews and reviewers should be a great thing. Especially multiple reviews. Like Metacritic. Not just one review/reviewer, because one review is anecdotal. But if 49 reviewers pull their scores together (Metacritic) and we find the average, that SHOULD be a fair assessment, no?

Last edited:

GymWolf

But we kinda need a tool to help us as consumers determine what to spend our money on.

So in theory, reviews and reviewers should be a great thing. Especially multiple reviews. Like Metacritic. Not just one review/reviewer, because one review is anecdotal. But if 49 reviewers pull their scores together (Metacritic) and we find the average, that SHOULD be a fair assessment, no?
No you don't.

You need your experience as a player after 10-20-30 years of gaming,, some feedback on forums from trusted people and most of all, eyes and ears, we have youtube and lots of gameplay for every game, you can judge by yourself without relying on strangers with probably shitty gaming skills and a political agenda that have to rush games in order to review before the embargo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom