• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

TribladeX

Neo Member
When I play, my sister logs in to her account for splitscreen and has all her trophies/items unlocked and saved.

Yup, confirmed. We play four player games at the weekend on one PS4 and everyone has their own trophy progression, unlocks and garage configuration saved each time.

LordofPwn

I think there's a curse on me. Whenever i play standard now i get matched with teammates that can't make easy shots, hit the ball no matter what. bump into me when i've got a great angle on a shot, and they rarely want to protect the goal. they also dont know how to set up shots.

Some stats i'll throw out.
I'm level 34, with solo rating above 500.

win percentage above 60%, was a bit over 65% but as of late i've been cursed.
i average 1.5 goals per game and .45 saves, .45 assists.

When i do manage to get a win it's because the team listens and uses the team commands, and i get about 2 goals. if my other 2 teamates are dickin around in the corner trying to hit the ball i'm not about to go in there and leave 95% of the pitch open. because of this i'm usually playing the mid field. i've had matches where i end up with less than 100 points cause the team wont let me make plays or set up any sort of offense. it's incredibly frustrating.
/rant

P.S. is it just me or do random PC players seem way more dickish than ps4 players? is it just because it's easier to text chat on PC? it's been very hostile lately.

It's all random (dicks and quality of teammates) so my advice is to turn off chat for the other team and don't play ranked unless you are in a party with people you know. You need a TON of good luck to get decent enough teammates to move up in rank and nothing positive is going to come from the other team chat wise. Even if they are nice they will be gone the next game, possibly replaced by a dick, so just turn it off. Trust me you won't miss it.

LordofPwn

It's all random (dicks and quality of teammates) so my advice is to turn off chat for the other team and don't play ranked unless you are in a party with people you know. You need a TON of good luck to get decent enough teammates to move up in rank and nothing positive is going to come from the other team chat wise. Even if they are nice they will be gone the next game, possibly replaced by a dick, so just turn it off. Trust me you won't miss it.

I only play ranked solo, and doubles with a friend. i do regular standard when i've got some time to kill. i like chat so i can let my team know i've got it, or see if they say they have it.

Anyone else on GAF want to game? Just made pro. I tend to only play goalie though.

Pretty much.

Also, it's glaring obvious that PS4 gamers outnumber PC gamers by about 5 to 1 minimum. I use a mic since I game on PC, but most of the people I've played with don't say a word... and when they did....it was "you niG_as suck".

I don't mind cursing out of frustration, or getting excited and throwing the F bomb occasionally, but certain things aren't acceptable anywhere.

P.S. is it just me or do random PC players seem way more dickish than ps4 players? is it just because it's easier to text chat on PC? it's been very hostile lately.

It's probably the later. There are waaaaaaay more PNY players too, and very few of them have mics. The ones that do...most should be muted.

FYI...my Steam tag is XplatformJEDI..if you ever want to game.

I only play ranked solo, and doubles with a friend. i do regular standard when i've got some time to kill. i like chat so i can let my team know i've got it, or see if they say they have it.

I like chat for my own team (though with randoms can still get some dicks) so leave it on but suggest turning it off for your opponent.

Also, it's glaring obvious that PS4 gamers outnumber PC gamers by about 5 to 1 minimum. I use a mic since I game on PC, but most of the people I've played with don't say a word... and when they did....it was "you niG_as suck".

Yeah, no one really uses mics. In some respects the game is very intuitive and it's not necessary but the chat area is hard to read while you are focusing on the action. Audio texts (with ability to turn on/off of course) would be handy so you didn't have to look at the screen. It's a bad idea to text and drive -- why the hell is it OK in Rocket League??

Shiv47

Only the primary player gets his unlocked items and such saved, I'm pretty sure.

When I play, my sister logs in to her account for splitscreen and has all her trophies/items unlocked and saved.

Yup, confirmed. We play four player games at the weekend on one PS4 and everyone has their own trophy progression, unlocks and garage configuration saved each time.

Thanks, it looks like their progress saved on each account this last time, it hadn't before.

I thought this game would be a blast when I heard the impressions but man it has quite a big barrier to entry when it comes to skill. It takes a lot of work to get the timing and skill to hit the ball in the goal if its not rolling right in front of the goal. I've played 6 hours now and I'm just flying around online doing absolutely nothing for my team since its so hard to just hit the ball. Only game mode I'm decent at is rookie mode :p

How long does it usually take to get the hang of things? 20 hours? Ive historically been absolutely terrible at skill focused games like monster hunter so I'd imagine it might take me way longer to get the hang of this than most people

I thought this game would be a blast when I heard the impressions but man it has quite a big barrier to entry when it comes to skill. It takes a lot of work to get the timing and skill to hit the ball in the goal if its not rolling right in front of the goal. I've played 6 hours now and I'm just flying around online doing absolutely nothing for my team since its so hard to just hit the ball. Only game mode I'm decent at is rookie mode :p

How long does it usually take to get the hang of things? 20 hours? Ive historically been absolutely terrible at skill focused games like monster hunter so I'd imagine it might take me way longer to get the hang of this than most people
Hitting the ball is just going to take time and practice.

The one thing you can get better at right away is positioning. Let's assume you're in a 3v3 game. If you see both of your teammates in front of you, that means you're the last man back. If you're the last man back, you want to make sure you'll be able to make a save should the other team hit it. Sometimes the other team isn't in a great position to hit the ball hard, so you can hang out closer to the opposition's net without worry. But sometimes the other team will have a chance to nail the ball, which means you need to be back closer to your goal if that happens. Again, this is only if you're the last man back.

This leads to cycling. If you go to hit the ball and you miss it, depending on where on the map everything is you're probably going to need to get back defensively (unless a teammate hits the ball forward and you have a scoring or passing chance). However, one big mistake a lot of rookies make is they don't come back all the way... they race back, and then once they're parallel with the ball they drive toward it (from the side). This sucks for two reasons: if you hit the ball, you're at best hitting it sideways, which accomplishes pretty much nothing. Sometimes the right play is to hit the ball sideways (so the opposition misses it). But a lot of the time it's useless. However, what makes this decision even worse is your teammate who's in goal might have an opportunity to race out and hit the ball... but he or she doesn't because if they miss, it's a goal. SO, if you race back all the way (toward your goal), your teammate can then feel comfortable going out and hitting the ball because you'll be backing them up.

A lot of this stuff comes with time and practice. Early on you'll drive right up underneath a ball as it's falling hoping to hit it, only to watch someone fly over your head and hit it. You'll be able to do that too one day. For now, practice doing it. Just don't make that attempt if you're the last person back (unless you have to for a save).

It's seriously night and day when you're playing with teammates who are responsible both offensively and defensively.

It's going to take awhile. Fortunately, they've got their SEASON mode which, while frustrating (AI) is incredibly useful. There is also a training mode, which is also very useful.

But, there is no way to sugar coat it. It may take 30 hours for that "light came on" moment to hit you.

I've put in 46 hours, achieved Pro level today, and I still feel that while gameplay is comfortable, I am nothing more than "ok" in the overall scheme of things.

I've had the game for 3 weeks. Absolutely love it...but yes, it does have a steep learning curve.

Another suggestion.

Free roaming mode in the training mode. Live there. Use it to become comfortable with the speed of the game. Until things slow down for you (visually) things are going to feel hectic as bleep. It's like most sports. When a good player goes from college to pros, or from high school to college...the biggest difference is speed. The game is fast. When the game slows down, it means your starting to "get it".

In a month you'll be having even more fun than you're having now...but you've gotta stick with it.

Do the striker training. Redo each shot until you hit it in then move on to the next. Don't worry about getting 100%. This is all about getting comfortable with hitting the ball when it's moving and at different levels. Practice double jumping and you will laugh at all the people sitting under the ball waiting for it to come down (while people who can fly are laughing at you!)

Also suggest trying 1v1 or 2v2 vs the other modes if you haven't already. You will get more opportunity for hits (and misses) during game conditions as there are less players to compete with for the ball.

Lastly, everybody whiffs on the ball, even really good players, so don't beat yourself up or put too much pressure on yourself. Try to have fun and like others have said the timing will come.

I'm terrible but one thing that helped me a little was watching good players. I do it with every game I suck at. Watch the good players. I haven't used the spectate mode but I imagine that'd be a good tool to use.

What I have done though is watch Youtube videos. Look up ones with Kronovi and other good players. Aside from just watching what they do, there's some that show what camera settings some of the really good players use and tips and such.

belushy

Banned
I suck so bad; wiffing pretty easy aerials. Sometimes even pretty simple ground shots. Definitely want to get in some games where I can chat with players though, to work on my communication. I want to try and play in a few tournaments if I get good enough lol

Mechazawa

So, I got back into Rocket League after a hiatus and didn't realize they let teams in ranked.

What a load of bullshit. I'm now getting bodied by coordinated parties because I'm set up with other solo members.

I couldn't stay out of Ranked 3v3. I just love to have a that glimpse of serious competitiveness and my aerials are getting a lot better because I have to carefully time when and where I choose to go for it. The pressure is there so I think it helps alot.

The rank and party system.... I don't know how it works at all. If someone is silver whilst the other two are gold in the group, is the party pulled down to silver ranked matchmaking? Looked like some parties have ringers in a couple matches I played. Players skilled very well above everyone else. Maybe I'm just crazy...

Cess007

Anyone else having troubles creating a party? Some friends and I were trying to play today, but couldn't create the party. It hadn't never happened to us before today :(

2m7guMy.jpg

Shadybiz

One piece of advice that definitely helped me along: Try to anticipate where the ball WILL be, and go there; don't chase it around the pitch. It'll take some time, but you'll eventually start to recognize the flight patterns, learn to judge velocity, etc. You'll make far more consistent shots by being in the right place and letting the ball come to you.

One piece of advice that definitely helped me along: Try to anticipate where the ball WILL be, and go there; don't chase it around the pitch. It'll take some time, but you'll eventually start to recognize the flight patterns, learn to judge velocity, etc. You'll make far more consistent shots by being in the right place and letting the ball come to you.

Yeah, I just scored 3 goals in the last game so I think I'm starting to get the hang of it (one of them was an own goal by the other team though lol)

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
my merch order finally arrived!
only ordered a shirt but because it took so long they've included a mousepad and stickers for free!

rps20150825_135236_814.jpg

One day i will manage to finally get a goal online
one day

If you aren't scoring it's pretty likely that you're going too fast. Way too many players spend almost all their time chasing the ball when positioning is a lot more important. I'd also suggest trying some of the training modes (aerial basic) where you can intentionally come at awkward angles to hit a ball that's almost out of reach.

Once you can jump in prep, turn into position and hit it with some reliability toward the goal take it online and practice on a moving target. Once you can do that you're at an advantage over half of the players right now who seem to hit and hope.

belushy

Banned
I like the word choice with 'destroyed'.

Yeah, same lol

edit: So I've been playing a bit more (finally got a decent wired controller for the PC) and does anyone else like playing a "harass" role? I'm loving riding up and bullying those players that sit back at their goal or waiting for a long shot. I need to balance it, though because there are some times I'm leaving my teammates out to dry, but I think there have been a few times were it really helps.

Donos

After another set of 1on1 games (10 games) with oppenents close to my skill/moveset, i was ready to put that game down again. Always lost with at least 5 goals difference. 1on1 is just unforgiving.Every mistake is a goal. Don't think that it's good for beginners...

Then i played 2on2 and what can i say. I played now around 30 matches without stopping. This is really the sweet spot for me. Totally addictive. Won most of them. If your partner is not so good, you can carry the team or one of the other team is not so good that it's still a good balance. Mistakes are not so grave in 2on2. A lot of close matches and nailbiters. MAtchmaking seems really good so far.

I also think that 2on2 is better to practice arial shots and volley shots since there are way more chances compared to 1on1 where you always try to shot directly to the goal.

You also have more time to position yourself at the goal and practive goalkeeper where in 1on1 you make a mistake and try to rush back to the goal, hoping for a epic save in the last second.

Has Psyonix said anything about bringing back solo queueing?

It's probably coming back, but no official announcement. They seem to be receptive to fan feedback, and fans seem to want it back a lot.

That said, the reasoning was too many playlists + it was the least played playlist.

Ranked intimidates a lot of players from playing, resulting in a smaller pool. Skill rating narrows the matchmaking, shrinking the pool some more. Regions filter the pool even further. Add to this that some solo players just play the team 3v3.

I think making it an unranked mode would result in more players.

Ardenyal

In my opinion the game doesn't need unranked playlists. Private matches should be the place for unranked since the ranking points are going to be reset every season so people shouldn't be too attached to them.

As it is now unranked playlists are the only place for higher level play, as weird as that sounds. In ranked mode the matchmaking puts you in games with wider range of skill levels than unranked.

Vitor711

So, uh, does anyone else think that the game could use some more mechanics from actual soccer? I'm talking about not letting the game end if the ball is in the box.

Yes, I love buzzer-beaters but yesterday I had a ball literally most of the way past the line and the game still ended. You should have to clear it for the game to actually end in my opinion. Would make things more tense.

I am going through a similar trajectory with this game as I did with CS - play the shit out of it, try to improve to be competitive, hit a wall, start watching tournament streams all weekend. I am learning small things, like not accelerating into an aerial so I don't whiff right past the ball, but I am still real bad at landing solid hits on purpose.

This. Especially with how poor matchmaking is in ranked games -- 3 people with the same rank can have vastly different skill levels -- and if playing w/randoms it would be nice to be able to click ready and re-up with competent teammates once you finally find some (never mind the usual hassle of having to exit and then search for a new match).

I don't understand why the option is there for unranked but not ranked.

Is there some downside I am missing of having things work the same as unranked games? Is it that skill ratings all adjust after each match and this messes with matchmaking for the next match? If so, as mentioned above, matchmaking is a crap shoot (truly feels random at times) anyways so who cares if skill ratings change slightly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom