• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc -

Makes sense. The game is programmed to stream a lot of content from the hard disk, and then a lot of content from the media disc. By streaming it all from the hard disk you're probably likely to get a tighter bottle neck than your content from the media disc.

This is Skyrim all over again...

... what?

Pagusas

Elden Member
based off what I'm seeing this is for sure the "pop-in" issues people were reporting last week on the 360. nice to see the fix is just not to install it. People specifically were talking about popin in the intro credits.

alan666

Banned
can i install disc one on to my X360's HD & then the second (game/play) disc onto a USB stick ?

if so anyone point me in the direction of how to go about doing this please ?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
can i install disc one on to my X360's HD & then the second (game/play) disc onto a USB stick ?

if so anyone point me in the direction of how to go about doing this please ?
?
Install disc 1 (install disc) to your HDD via in-game menu
Insert flash drive, format it, install disc 2 (play disc) via dashboard
play

We don't know if it helps, though.

DMeisterJ

Banned
This is the first game I'll play on my 360 that I don't install. The differences aren't huge, but I want the optimal experience.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Ack why did I have to buy digital copy of GTA5, I had cash in my wallet for ages and just wanted to get rid of it.

This whole GTA5 pre-load stuff has been a giant stack of fail so far.

BigDug13

Rockstar, where's the patch!?

Luckily my 360 Slim disk drive is very, very quiet.

What patch? It was designed from the ground up to stream from the optical disc at the same time as the HDD. I was shocked to hear that they even had a DD version on the PSN store.

I have an older 360. And although it is a Jasper model it still has that funky design (dvd drive over gpu) and I try to cut down on heat and power consumption by playing all my games off the hdd. I have both the ps3 and 360 version pre ordered and i'll still wait on any performance dependencies before deciding but this news makes me sway towards the ps3 version.

Starting to sound like this is best purchased for the PS3 if you have the choice.
Not necessarily, it will depend on how the PSN version performs. My understanding of the situation is:
- 360: you can choose between disc noise and performance.
- PS3 retail: you have to put up with a spinning disc. No "option" to trade it off for worse performance.
- PS3 digital: TBD.

With that said, had I known 24 hours ago, I'd probably have switched my amazon 360 preorder to PS3 because the disc drive for my Slim v1 PS3 is quieter than the one on my 360S but that's purely anecdotal.

Bsigg12

Rockstar, where's the patch!?

Luckily my 360 Slim disk drive is very, very quiet.

It's a design decision, not a fault. They are getting more bandwidth by using the streaming from the disc and the harddrive together rather than relying on one or the other to get all the content out. It's a really smart method actually.

Also, we are waiting for someone to see if they can install the play disc on a separate storage device and it not affect performance. I think you should be able to choose to install the mandatory disc to a USB drive and the optional play disc install to the HDD.

I'm going to download the Install disc to my HDD and then download the game disc to my USB Flash drive. It will be pulling from two different sources so hopefully in theory it works.

bj00rn_

Banned
That is some depressing crap right there.. Play with a ton of pop-in, or play with a jet engine in your room.. R*, where the **** is the **-version?? I'm getting my 360 version tomorrow anyway.. and I will install it, can't stand the disc drive noise.

Omni

Install feature making the game worse... didn't Bungie say the same for Halo 3 or some Halo?

Halo 3 loads slower when installed (namely the begginning of each level. In all actuality it's only a few extra seconds). No effect on actual in-game performance however

Truespeed

Not necessarily, it will depend on how the PSN version performs. My understanding of the situation is:
- PS3 retail: you have to put up with a spinning disc. No "option" to trade it off for worse performance.

With that said, had I known 24 hours ago, I'd probably have switched my amazon 360 preorder to PS3 because the disc drive for my Slim v1 PS3 is quieter than the one on my 360S but that's purely anecdotal.

I'd be surprised if there were issues with the PS3 digital version. Something like this would have been easily spotted while testing it.

wow you'd think they could have told us this weeks ago, it's not like they just figured it out...i have a lot of 66% off MS points that i was planning on using to get the game for $20, now i'm not sure...

i wonder how a full GOD USB drive install will perform..that's my most likely method of playing.

Omni

I've read (and seen in a Korean comparison) that the 360 has slightly higher res textures in the environment.

So there seems to be a tradeoff to whichever version you get

-PXG-

I recall Skyrim also having this issue on the 360. Installing it fucked up the textures and created shut loads if nasty pop in.

Burger

That DF Video curiously shows things from the intro only.

One would presume the problem is worse as it is switching very fast from scene to scene.

Like I said, playing the game I haven't noticed shit.

I don't know if my DVD drive is a bit ropey or something - but the game feels a bit better with both disks installed on the hard drive.

Though this could just be placebo. :)

Seriously? That first one with the ground texture pop in is pretty bad. Why would you play the game this way just to save on some higher console sounds?

Lol well I have pretty bad eyesight. It has to be quiet, I only play after my kid goes to bed. I always install my games and never use the sound, only subtitles. Plus that noise drives my crazy.

Bsigg12

Install feature making the game worse... didn't Bungie say the same for Halo 3 or some Halo?

Halo 3 was optimized to work without a HDD and play everything off the disc. Installing it to the HDD when that feature became available was never optimized since the game had been out for a while.

TheDanger

Banned
I'll have to play much louder then so I don't hear my 360. I'm actually kind of worried as my 360 had problems reading games lately, please just endure GTA V. Please.

mrJared

Banned
So what does this mean for the ps3 version download?

Runs entirely off hard drive so I wonder if we'll get pop in too.

Would suck since I already preordered the PSN version

Glad I caught this thread. Will definitely do as R* recommends here as I want the optimum performance for this game especially. Sucks for those with older/noisy units though.

Top Bottom