• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc -

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've never installed something to a USB stick.

Does the 360 OS actually allow for a game to be installed on two different devices?

I figured that installing a game would require the whole thing to be put onto a single device. How does the 360 know that one disc is in one location while the other disc is in another?

Are we assuming that with GTA5 in particular, Rockstar requires the install, so where they put the mandatory install is agnostic to the usual "install the disc" location the OS uses? Then you're techincally only installing one disc and that disc is going on the USB stick location instead of the HDD?

painey

announcing this the day before release is pretty shitty - too far gone for people to cancel their internet pre-orders. I think I will install anyway, I just cannot deal with the 360's noise

The DF video isn't very useful.

It's using the intro titles that quickly jump from location to location, so suddenly have to stream new data quickly at each edit.

Just travelling around in the game doesn't seem to show the same problem.

nkarafo

Come on ppl, we need feedback on the HDD install + USB play combo.

Playing using the DVD drive is simply not a viable option.

Omni

Non-spoiler screenshots.

52369D4B4E087F002E

5236A3C94A714D0022

52369DF6484BFB0020

Very little difference, if at all. But I think the 360 has the slight, slight edge

Pagusas

Elden Member
Non-spoiler screenshots.

Very little difference, if at all. But I think the 360 has the slight, slight edge

Thats pretty noticable to me, but an understandable compromise to keep the performance even, especially with the problematic PS3 memory setup.

antibolo

Banned
Wait the game has a mandatory install on the 360? I thought that Microsoft didn't allow that? How will it work for non-technical folks who own a 360 with no hard drive and no USB storage attached?

Wait the game has a mandatory install on the 360? I thought that Microsoft didn't allow that? How will it work for non-technical folks who own a 360 with no hard drive and no USB storage attached?

they can buy a USB stick, it's not that big of a deal. $5-$10 for an 8 gigger?

BigDug13

The-fix-it-so-people-with-noisy-disk-drives-can-install-it-without-pop ins-so-they-can-enjoy-the-game... patch.

I guess I just don't understand how Microsoft's console design is Rockstar's problem. The 360 is capable of streaming from optical and HDD at the same time so Rockstar decided to take advantage of it for their game.

You can't play this game without a HDD. People who own the consoles with no HDD won't be able to play this game.

Both companies approved this game knowing that they have a user base not capable of playing it.

Pagusas

Elden Member

They HAVE to buy a usb stick in that case, its clearly labeled on the package.

That's not the point.

they bought a cheapass 360, not suprising you don't have the memory to do everything. there's plenty of shit you can't do with an arcade system unless you invest in usb sticks. i have no problem with ms offering more options to the consumer it's good, it's not their fault if they purchased the wrong system for their needs

Dukey

Banned
My 360 slim is dead silent when the disc isn't spinning, and only slightly louder when it is. I'll gladly heed their advice.

360 shots are better. No doubt about that. But it seems so slight that it won't tip me over.

Free MP on PS3 is still the biggest factor for me.

live gold is free ATM if you use google. for most of the past 2 years it's been available for either $1 a month or free. but now there's definitely an easy way to get a free month on any silver account.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hopefully digital foundry are testing this on PS3 as well. Presumably this is due to the HDD being heavily used in normal gameplay, so the additional burden of the play disc being on the HDD is too much. But I wouldn't have thought the PS3 HDD is much faster than Xbox, so wouldn't it be susceptable to the same issues?

Or maybe the digital versions take this into account somehow. Does this have a full digital option on Xbox?

Mikey Jr.

live gold is free ATM if you use google. for most of the past 2 years it's been available for either $1 a month or free. but now there's definitely an easy way to get a free month on any silver account.

Yeah, but still. No point really going through that hassle.

Also, my 360 doesn't have wifi. So mehhhhhh.

AkuMifune

Banned
Well, I have it pre-ordered on PSN. Hopefully this will not be an issue.

It's possible. If they also optimized the PS3 version for disc streaming and never considered that the digital version would suffer. But it would be less of an issue as blu-ray streaming bandwidth is much smaller than that of the 360's standard DVD drive. iirc.

But yeah, hopefully with the digital PS3 version this was considered beforehand.

d00d3n

Non-spoiler screenshots.

I want to unsee these screenshots. The 360 seems to have noticeably better graphics. I am kind of regretting my psn buy after this ... Well, at least I will be able to enjoy the game without a spinning disc drive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

thanks for reminding me - I have an annual office 365 subscription so I just registered for the free year of live :)

I'd be surprised if there were issues with the PS3 digital version. Something like this would have been easily spotted while testing it.
Business wise, it wouldn't be unheard of. AFAIK MS did exactly that with Halo 3 digital: they released a digital version of the game that was equivalent to copying the disc on your HDD, without any optimization, while at the time the install feature came out, Bungie had explicitly stated it would bring performance down.

Technically I guess it all depends on how much available bandwidth a stock PS3 HDD has compared to a 360 HDD. I'm writing "stock" because you can change your PS3 HDD and that could factor in?

I bet it got asked already, but I need to ask it again real fast, could the digital version on PSN cause the same problems too?! Or is there nothing to worry about?

Yea, this is not a bug, but by design.

You're reading data from two different sources on the same media. The HDD head will have to jump back and forth between the two and access time will result in slow loading of models and textures.

Only solution I can think of if R* had a full install option in the beginning, therefore the two sources would be in the optimal sequence.

Estocolmo

- Is it possible to patch this issue so you can install the game without these pop-ups problems post release?

- How come Rockstar made it better running from the disc and not from the harddrive, which will mean loud sounds from the Xbox 360? Only Crackdown and Halo 3 have made this earlier, but those games were old. No Rockstar game is recommended to not install on the hard drive.

StuBurns

Banned
- How come Rockstar made it better running from the disc and not from the harddrive, which will mean loud sounds from the Xbox 360? Only Crackdown and Halo 3 have made this earlier, but those games were old. No Rockstar game is recommended to not install on the hard drive.
It's not the disc or the HDD, it's the disc and the HDD.

ironcreed

Banned
Yea, this is not a bug, but by design.

You're reading data from two different sources on the same media. The HDD head will have to jump back and forth between the two and access time will result in slow loading of models and textures.

Only solution I can think of if R* had a full install option in the beginning, therefore the two sources would be in the optimal sequence.

So, the digital version on PSN should be fine, right?

- Is it possible to patch this issue so you can install the game without these pop-ups problems post release?

The DVD drive provides Rockstar with an additional ~16MB/s bandwidth for streaming data to memory. Its a design choice, do as I have mentioned earlier and install the optional play disk to an external USB HDD or Memory stick.

Top Bottom