• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

libregkd

I did not know that. Never mind then.
Yeah. This entire thing is just silly because he gave the game the 4/5 (on PC) which is a good score and then specifically cites the technical issues as reason for giving the console versions a lower 3/5 score. So you can pretty much see that, if technical issues aren't that important to you, there is already a score that reflects what Jeff feels on the game overall.

This is only tangentially related but split review scores seem to be less common now a days. It certainly makes sense since a vast majority of releases only have minuscule differences that wouldn't really affect a score (unless they were using a system where decimal numbers are in place) but they do still have their place when you have games that are clearly superior on another platform (such as with Fallout 4 on PC).

Seventy70

Agree to disagree. I find him I have the most honest opinion about games. That's why I love the giant bomb crew. They don't gush about everything. Other podcasts are a bunch of guys stroking their joysticks saying, "omg this game looks soooo gooooooooooood."

Exactly. Every game is treated like its going to change the gaming industry forever. Then, a new one gets announced and they move onto that one. You see the same thing on forums. People just get lost on the bandwagon.

dhonk

unlike Rooster Teeth, Gerstmann is a veteran at producing well-written, qualitative reviews. He's been fired for doing just that in the past.

If Rooster Teeth ever tries dipping their toes in respectable journalism then someone let me know.

HEY.

they have the hardest hitting minecraft videos around son!

Probably worth mentioning the founder of RT seems to have a lot of respect for Gerstmann, and they've been on each other's panels. This looks like an uninformed cosplayer said something dumb, and the other guys went with it.

Even the RT community savaged them over it. Here's Ryan's response in their subreddit where he doubles-down (check the downvotes)

PqDn1iR.png

What a shit response. I haven't watched Roosterteeth since they started doing Minecraft Videos. Have they gotten that worse? Ryan to me has always seemed like an ass, in videos and the podcast at least.

I am but whatever.

Then why are some many people implying that they were payed off or shills? Seems like a childish retort from a silly fans.

o_O

Are you serious? They are sitting decked out in F4 paraphernalia. Having made Fallout 4 advertisement videos. Waxing lyrical about how awesome they think the game is.

They are literally -

1IswxeH.png

paid shills.

And I dont even like Giantbomb.

Liamc723

I don't think anyone should be berating anyone review work ideally, but I've seen Giantbomb do the same to smaller sites before too. Sucks.

I'd like you to provide a link to that happening.

Don't worry, I'll wait. You'll need a lot of time to find any evidence of that.

MrDaravon

More than possibly any other game reviewer in the world, Jeff Gerstmann is the LAST one to throw shade at for this kind of shit. RT folks need a history lesson I think.

It's also amazing how much power Jeff seems to have over people on the internet regarding his opinions on games. Several examples have already been brought up in this thread, but him having a positive OR negative opinion on a game that he's not even reviewing throws people into full on hissy fits. It's legitimately amazing.

lol at all these people pretending they don't know who rooster teeth is

If you're not a big Halo fan from back in the day I don't doubt it. I totally forgot they existed until this thread, probably haven't thought of them or been aware of their existence in at least 5 years.

Edit: Geoff Keighley should have some sort of bit at the Game Awards with Mega64 involving reviewers eating cheese and whine, it's already making the rounds I see.

I basically never agree with Giant Bomb on their reviews and I especially dislike Gerstmann and his imbecilic meme inducing Yoshi hate, but this shit by Rooster Teeth might just be the most moronic thing I have ever seen.

Seventy70

o_O

Are you serious? They are sitting decked out in F4 paraphernalia. Having made Fallout 4 advertisement videos. Waxing lyrical about how awesome they think the game is.

They are literally -

1IswxeH.png

paid shills.

They are just speaking from the heart, bro.

I've always admired Jeff's opinions, even if I don't usually agree with them. Either way, I never found insulting or bashing your competition or colleague as a healthy habit. I think this is the most attention/ fucks Rooster Teeth has gotten in a while.

LPride

Banned
Agree to disagree. I find him I have the most honest opinion about games. That's why I love the giant bomb crew. They don't gush about everything. Other podcasts are a bunch of guys stroking their joysticks saying, "omg this game looks soooo gooooooooooood."

Maybe Brad Shoemaker should stop gushing about Destiny on any given day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember this post from the screwattack thread

Have to say, this forum reeeeally don't care about Rooster Teeth at all. For a site which had a 24 hour Extra Life stream which brought in $360k (and is currently at 376k), they didn't even have a thread for that stream here.

Kinda weird. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
This is why people here don't care

How anybody could say Jeff is a shill is not informed at all.

He got FIRED for giving his honest opinion about a game that was average at best.

Trying to critique the state of games reviews and then saying you don't know who Jeff Gerstmann is says everything about their credibility.

z3phon

This whole fallout 4 reviews debacle has really made it obvious which game websites are just bunch of fan boys.
I love fallout 4 but Jeffs review is on point.

I love Rooster Teeth and have been watching their stuff for years. They're pretty entertaining but they can occasionally fanboy out over things too much. And Gus is just the worst. Never cared for his opinions at all, mostly watch for everyone else.

I've always admired Jeff's opinions, even if I don't usually agree with them. Either way, I never found insulting or bashing your competition or colleague as a healthy habit. I think this is the most attention/ fucks Rooster Teeth has gotten in a while.

They just raised like, half a million for charity and had a video get onto several new channels. I'm pretty sure they get plenty of attention.

o_O

They are literally -

paid shills.

They got paid for a video but I don't see where their silly opinions were bought.

Deadstar

lol, the wine and cheese comment is already spreading and turning into a big joke. dat backlash.

If writing an honest critical review means you drink wine and eat cheese then fill me with provolone because I'm ready to chow down.

"Critics" complaining that another critic gave a low score just to be different? The bar for gaming criticism is so fucking low it's embarassing.

zsynqx

Maybe Brad Shoemaker should stop gushing about Destiny on any given day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is what makes them great. They are honest to a fault with their interests and biases, so agree with them or not, you know what you are getting is the truth.

Alienfan

Every site has their own way of reviewing games, a 3/5 on Giantbomb doesn't necessarily translate to a 6/10 on IGN's scale. It's why sites like metacritic are toxic when it comes to discussion - as people attempt to use an average of arbitrary to form some objective statement. It helps to read a bunch of different reviews, know the reviewer, know what their likes and dislikes when it comes to video games and use this to help you determine if their critiques of the game will bother you as well.

The Giant Bomb crew is a perfect lil microcosm of the entire Destiny derangement syndrome. They both love and hate the game, will call out its polished gun play and its lack of content and grind, can't take their eyes off of its crazy developments, and sheer curiosity means they'll at least fully immerse themselves in that maelstrom for a good bit before coming back to reality to report their findings to the rest of us. What more could you ask for?

Those 2014 GOTY deliberations were something else though.

I dunno. I disagree with em often, fully agree with them often enough too. Am still happy to see my podcasts updated every week with the latest from the Bomb and Beast crew. Ironically my favorite podcast to listen to while time trialing in DriveClub :)

You can debate whether you think it is true or not, bit it seemed like a pretty valid criticism to me. I think there really is an incentive for some reviewers to rate lower in order to gain attention. A big pet peeve to me are the ones who claim they are doing it correctly because they treat 5/10 as average and use the whole scale. That's just silly because the meaning of the scale is what people think it means, not your mathematical assessment of it. If you are using a 10 point scale to convey some meaning then it makes no sense to use an interpretation of the scale that few people recognize. At that point you are just doing it to be different.

On ghe other hand, I looked up Gerstmann's review and he gave Fallout 4 4 out of 5 stars. Maybe I am missing something but that isn't a low review score.

Jeff Gerstmann is like the anti-shill. Listen to any ad on Giant Bomb. They never ever personally endorse anything for money of freebies. Jeff and Vinny have literal pseudo-names for ad reads.

You can debate whether you think it is true or not, bit it seemed like a pretty valid criticism to me. I think there really is an incentive for some reviewers to rate lower in order to gain attention. A big pet peeve to me are the ones who claim they are the ones doing it correctly because they treat 5/10 as average and use the whole scale. That's just silly because the meaning of the scale is what people think it means, not your mathematical assessment of it. If you are using a 10 point scale to convey some meaning then it makes no sense to use an interpretation of the scale that few people recognize. At that point you are just doing it to be different.

On ghe other hand, I looked up Gerstmann's review and he gave Fallout 4 4 out of 5 stars. Maybe I am missing something but that isn't a low review score.

PC - 4/5
Console (ps4) - 3/5

Technical issues were bad enough that it brought the 4 down to a 3

o_O

They are literally -

1IswxeH.png

paid shills.

This is hilarious.

I honestly had no idea these people were still around. Aren't these the Red vs Blue people?

Probably worth mentioning the founder of RT seems to have a lot of respect for Gerstmann, and they've been on each other's panels. This looks like an uninformed cosplayer said something dumb, and the other guys went with it.

Even the RT community savaged them over it. Here's Ryan's response in their subreddit where he doubles-down (check the downvotes)

PqDn1iR.png

Lol, at "I'd never heard of him" in reference to Jeff Gerstmann. Seriously? What an idiot. So he has the nerve to call out Jeff, or insinuate, that they reviewed the game low for clicks. When Jeff lost his job for reviewing a crap game low when the big money suits wanted otherwise.

The story of Jeff Gerstmann and his firing at Gamespot should be Gaming Journalism 101 and anyone that wants to working in gaming, from the "journalism" side, would know who Jeff was if they took their job seriously in the least bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom