• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dylan O'Brien has been cast as Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

...or is that post just part of a misinformation campaign to provide cover for my misinformation campaign to convince forum posters their conceptions of the highly complicated organization that is Marvel Studios are incorrect - even though they're TOTALLY THE 2ND BEST PARAMILITARY AND ESPIONAGE ORGANIZATION IN THE WORLD.

Neoxon

There's already enough straight white male superheroes. Hollywood should be pushing more diversity. Donald Glover or Michael B. Jordan as Spiderman, Idris Elba as Uncle Ben.
As previously stated, Donald Glover is too old for Marvel's vision of Spider-Man, as is Michael B. Jordan (if he wasn't tied up already with the F4 reboot, if by chance it does well).

Plus we're already getting Black Panther & Captain Marvel as far as diversity goes.

It's the entire thrust of your argument. Spider-Man is an icon, therefore an actor of some regard must be hired. An actor of little to no regard is obviously lesser. Anyone cheaper than Dylan O'Brien is automatically a bad call. This is your argument, even if you don't realize that's the argument you're making.

My initial point was aimed at your comment:

...might not be as appealing as dealing with a kid who turns in a GREAT audtion but who has like, 3 credits on a soap opera and some commercial work.

There is a difference between "an actor of some regard" and "little to effectively no acting experience" which is the scenario your comment pointed to.

We both agree Marvel is cheap, but where we differ is just how cheap Marvel is. I think working tv/stage actors aren't too expensive for Marvel, you think they might be too expensive and Marvel is willing to put the weight of a franchise on the shoulders of someone with the experience of just "3 credits on a soap opera" to save some money.

They absolutely could hire an unknown, but when they can lock up someone like Chris Pratt for nine movies/appearances for a reasonable price, IMO I can't see a complete unknown getting the defacto win due soley (or mostly) to his inherent cheapness.

They have a fairly proven model for what kind of actors they hire, it's been effective so far, them going especially extra crazy cheap for Spiderman seems "off" to me...But it's all just speculation, and I could be wrong.

Mumei

Not everything needs to be some sort of covert special op.

Believe

Edit:

...or is that post just part of a misinformation campaign to provide cover for my misinformation campaign to convince forum posters their conceptions of the highly complicated organization that is Marvel Studios are incorrect - even though they're TOTALLY THE 2ND BEST PARAMILITARY AND ESPIONAGE ORGANIZATION IN THE WORLD.

This is more like it.

PsychBat!

Banned
I KNEW IT!

dun dun DUUUUNNNNNNNNN

We both agree Marvel is cheap, but where we differ is just how cheap Marvel is. I think working tv/stage actors aren't too expensive for Marvel, you think they might be too expensive

No. You keep using the phrase "too expensive," and it's not a question of "too expensive." "Too expensive" suggests the asking price is prohibitive and Marvel is then compelled to decline it. I've never suggested that's the case here in this weird hypothetical that neither of us know is even happening or not. It's a question of "can I do this another way that gets us the same results but for less money, especially since we're dealing with degrees of lowered-visibility here no matter WHAT we pick."

I'm saying it's not out of bounds for that option to be on the table. That's all I'm saying. Especially when you take into account the possibility they're going for actors younger than 20.

DeathyBoy

Banned
No. You keep using the phrase "too expensive," and it's not a question of "too expensive." "Too expensive" suggests the asking price is prohibitive and Marvel is then compelled to decline it. I've never suggested that's the case here in this weird hypothetical that neither of us know is even happening or not. It's a question of "can I do this another way that gets us the same results but for less money, especially since we're dealing with degrees of lowered-visibility here no matter WHAT we pick."

I'm saying it's not out of bounds for that option to be on the table. That's all I'm saying. Especially when you take into account the possibility they're going for actors younger than 20.

I bash the MCU a lot, but they absolutely should be going for someone under 20. He has to look like a babyface compared to The Avengers - the scrawny little geek they underestimate who's the greatest superhero anyone's ever seen.

Marvel is cheap?

1385834170571.jpg

They cast whoever they think is right for the role. Most of the time there is no reason to break the bank to get the talent they want.

Marvel is cheap?

So long as Ike Perlmutter draws breath? Yeah. Marvel's going to have that element wafting off them a little. If dude can pinch a penny, he'll do so. That's just how he works, and how he's always worked. and

Most of the time there is no reason to break the bank to get the talent

plays right into that. That mindset right there is fairly obviously a key component in choosing who they get to work on their stuff. They're spending a lot of money on special effects and marketing. They're a little more judicious about how best to maximize talent without maximizing the spending. Or a LOT more judicious. Robert Downey Jr. got his payday because he's the one actor in the stable who you can point to as being almost entirely responsible for kickstarting this thing, as it was the sheer force of his personality that caused Iron Man to work. But Downey getting his money is an outlier. With everyone else, it's exactly as you put it: There's no reason to break the bank to get the talent.

So they don't.

To suggest that such an impulse might play SOME small part in the casting of Peter Parker, especially when they want someone younger than 20 to play the role, isn't outlandish or out of bounds at all. I'm kinda confused as to why it's being percieved that way.

Mumei

How much are the other actors getting? How much are, say, Chris Evans or Chris Pratt getting for their appearances?

How much are the other actors getting? How much are, say, Chris Evans or Chris Pratt getting for their appearances?

Doing some quick googling and it looks like before Downey basically held Avengers 2 up to renegotiate deals, most everyone in the movie NOT Robert Downey Jr. was making less than 5 mil, (note that headline I linked to mentions "Stingy Marvel"), and it seems like CONSIDERABLY less than 5 mil, as 5 mil was the baseline Downey was fighting for. In fact at least one unnamed main castmember is reported to have gotten 200k for "The Avengers," and another lead (probably either Hemsworth or Evans) were getting 500k raises movie to movie.

I really wish people would not try to bring down an actor just cause they don't fit the narrative they want.

I mean, I was all for Glover over Garfield, I'd love a Chocolate Peter or a Miles Story or fuck ... they could reboot it with a Asian SpiderGwen and I'd be all about that!!!

But this .... the cosmic comic forces have given us a rare moment where the planets have alined and someone I actually see as this generations Peter AND SM has a shot at it.

I want this!!

Neoxon

I really wish people would not try to bring down an actor just cause they don't fit the narrative they want.

I mean, I was all for Glover over Garfield, I'd love a Chocolate Peter or a Miles Story or fuck ... they could reboot it with a Asian SpiderGwen and I'd be all about that!!!

But this .... the cosmic comic forces have given us a rare moment where the planets have alined and someone I actually see as this generations Peter AND SM has a shot at it.

I want this!!
But think of it this way, fans busted their butts to convince Sony to make this deal with Marvel. We made our voices heard & we got what we wanted. If they're gonna bring Spider-Man into the MCU, it might as well be the most well-known version from the comics (I.E. Peter Parker as his original race, with mechanical web-shooters). This isn't a time to experiment, it's a time to bring it as close to the comics as they can. You want diversity, that's what Black Panther & Luke Cage are for (both great heroes with great stories to tell). Unfortunately there aren't a lot of great Latino heroes that Marvel has. The new Ghost Rider is a bit too recent, & they already shat the bed with Kid Nova (who's looking to be replaced by a new black family of Novas soon). Asian heroes from Marvel's stable, we just got the Oscar-winning Big Hero 6 (okay sure, only Hiro & Go-Go Tomago retained their Asian ancestry from the comics, but still).

Mumei

But think of it this way, fans busted their butts to convince Sony to make this deal with Marvel. We made our voices heard & we got what we wanted. If they're gonna bring Spider-Man into the MCU, it might as well be the most well-known version from the comics (I.E. Peter Parker as his original race, with mechanical web-shooters). This isn't a time to experiment, it's a time to bring it as close to the comics as they can. You want diversity, that's what Black Panther & Luke Cage are for (both great heroes with great stories to tell). Unfortunately there aren't a lot of great Latino heroes that Marvel has. The new Ghost Rider is a bit too recent, & they already shat the bed with Kid Nova (who's looking to be replaced by a new black family of Novas soon). Asian heroes from Marvel's stable, we just got the Oscar-winning Big Hero 6 (okay sure, only Hiro & Go-Go Tomago retained their Asian ancestry from the comics, but still).

Um.

Did you only read the first half of his post?

Blader

Marvel is cheap?

1385834170571.jpg

They cast whoever they think is right for the role. Most of the time there is no reason to break the bank to get the talent they want.

Marvel is, or at least was, infamously cheap. Actors were constantly given lowball offers while simultaneously asked to work for 6+ films. They might have loosened a bit in the last year or two given that all of their movies print near a billion now, but at least until (and including) The Avengers, the non-Downey cast members were being paid under a million -- and Downey only makes the incredible bank he does by getting in on the gross points.

To suggest that such an impulse might play SOME small part in the casting of Peter Parker, especially when they want someone younger than 20 to play the role, isn't outlandish or out of bounds at all. I'm kinda confused as to why it's being percieved that way.

The outlandish part isn't them wanting to be frugal, or it playing a part in the casting process, it was the level of cheapness you suggested, which was them potentially passing over more than likely average-priced experienced/proven working actors for someone with "3 credits on a soap opera and some commercials" mostly for the savings it would gain them.

Past that, I believe you to be a quite reasonable human being.

Neoxon

What do you mean by this? Who is his ideal Peter, and how is that at odds with the MCU?
I mentioned it in parentheses, the most comic-accurate Peter Parker is the most ideal since now we have a chance for Spidey to be done right, to fix the mistakes of both versions Sony has previously done.

I love how these actors sign these contracts because they ain't worth a dime, and then when the movies make bank suddenly they feel like they are worth more.

Didn't you sign the contract? And why did you sign for a low fee? That's right because you ain't worth shit. If everybody in Avengers made 20 million the budget would balloon to full retard statuts quick. Be glad for the career you didn't have before.

Mumei

I mentioned it in parentheses, the most comic-accurate Peter Parker is the most ideal since now we have a chance for Spidey to be done right, to fix the mistakes of both versions Sony has previously done.

Maybe this will help communicate my confusion better as to why you're saying, "This isn't a time to experiment" and "I know you want diversity, but" in response to what he said.

I mean, he basically said, "At one point in the past, I wanted Glover over Garfield, or some other minority playing Peter - but now we have someone who is perfect for both Peter and Spidey and I want him to play the role." "Someone" is the person mentioned in the title. He might still want a minority to play Parker if he didn't have this option, and then your post would make more sense as a response.

Blader

I love how these actors sign these contracts because they ain't worth a dime, and then when the movies make bank suddenly they feel like they are worth more.

Didn't you sign the contract? And why did you sign for a low fee? That's right because you ain't worth shit. If everybody in Avengers made 20 million the budget would balloon to full retard statuts quick. Be glade for the career you didn't have before.

I hope you've never asked a boss for a raise.

Workers shouldn't just be happy they have jobs at all and leave it at that, you should know your worth as an employee and advocate for it.

Neoxon

Maybe this will help communicate my confusion better as to why you're saying, "This isn't a time to experiment" and "I know you want diversity, but" in response to what he said.

I mean, he basically said, "At one point in the past, I wanted Glover over Garfield, or some other minority playing Peter - but now we have someone who is perfect for both Peter and Spidey and I want him to play the role." "Someone" is the person mentioned in the title. He might still want a minority to play Parker if he didn't have this option, and then your post would make more sense as a response.
Oh, then I misread the comment big-time. My apologies.

Mumei

I don't know how to Twitter. Who is AgentM?

Oh, then I misread the comment big-time. My apologies.

Oh, there's no need to apologize. I just wanted to point out that you were actually on the same page and I was being less than straightforward with my suggestion that you hadn't finished reading his post.

Voror

Well, I guess that's probably that. Would Marvel announce whoever is playing Spider-Man as soon as they are able to or might they wait till July for the SDCC panel?

Well, I guess that's probably that. Would Marvel announce whoever is playing Spider-Man as soon as they are able to or might they wait till July for the SDCC panel?

If he is really going to be appearing in Civil War they are going to have to make the announcement soon. As in the next month at most, due to production going on for Cap Civil War. It will leak who is playing him.

Now if he isn't appearing in Civil War, then yeah it could be a while before we hear it.

He's saying how his ideal Peter has a shot this time, but this is the MCU we're talking about.

What do you mean by this? Who is his ideal Peter, and how is that at odds with the MCU?

Ummm, just so that we're all clear I'm talking bout Dylan.

Last I remember reading this thread someone was calling him a "boring/ generic white guy" just because he's not what they want.

And normally I'd be all for shaking the box because I believe ANYONE can be Spidey, that his story isn't bond by race, gender or sexual preference (well, he has to HAVE a preference. I don't think he can be asexual and still have such relationship problems )... but Dylan is fucking perfect. His Teen Wolf character has shown his growth as an actor and he's a legit joy to watch with all his mannerism, sarcasm and jittery talk.
(Though I did not like Maze Runner ... but that's more because of the story and characters)

Stiles is basically TV Peter Parker in many ways and Season 3 pretty much shows that he can even pull off the Venom Arc IMO.

So to me it's simple. Dylan is my top pick simply because Stiles is an amazing Peter. If they're picking someone other then him? Fuck it, go for an Asian/ Chocolate Parker/ Miles/ Gwen.

Edit- You all cleared it up on your own lol

Neoxon

Last I remember reading this thread someone was calling him a "boring/ generic white guy" just because he's not what they want.

And normally I'd be all for shaking the box because I believe ANYONE can be Spidey, that his story isn't bond by race, gender or sexual preference (well, he has to HAVE a preference. I don't think he can be asexual and still have such relationship problems )... but Dylan is fucking perfect. His Teen Wolf character has shown his growth as an actor and he's a legit joy to watch with all his mannerism, sarcasm and jittery talk.
(Though I did not like Maze Runner ... but that's more because of the story and characters)

Stiles is basically TV Peter Parker in many ways and Season 3 pretty much shows that he can even pull off the Venom Arc IMO.

So to me it's simple. Dylan is my top pick simply because Stiles is an amazing Peter. If they're picking someone other then him? Fuck it, go for an Asian/ Chocolate Parker/ Miles/ Gwen.
I noted my mistake when I read your comment.
Though to be fair, Spider-Gwen is too new of a concept.

Anyway, I do agree that Dylan would be great, but as Bobby said, Marvel may want to keep Peter in high school throughout the trilogy. Are there any actors who are 19-20 that have a decent record?

Mumei

Hey, I was clear. My question was to get him to look again. :p

And I feel the same way at this point.

Anyway, I do agree that Dylan would be great, but as Bobby said, Marvel may want to keep Peter in high school throughout the trilogy. Are there any actors who are 19-20 that have a decent record?

Yeah thats the difficult part. If they want him to stay in high school for 2 or more films they are going to have to cast really young for it to be even somewhat believable. Like 18 or 19 years old.

I can't think of any actors that are capable of carrying this huge of a franchise on their shoulders and that fit the role at that young of an age. Like not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom