• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dylan O'Brien has been cast as Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Yeah thats the difficult part. If they want him to stay in high school for 2 or more films they are going to have to cast really young for it to be even somewhat believable. Like 18 or 19 years old.

I can't think of any actors that are capable of carrying this huge of a franchise on their shoulders and that fit the role at that young of an age. Like not at all.
I could in theory, but I actually have to land a few roles first (& by then I'd be in my mid 20's). Plus there's the whole thing about Miles likely being a plan for later, which would in teory be enacted when I'm around 30 or so.

PsychBat!

Banned
Haven't kept up with this thread. What's the latest?

Was the Reddit guy full of crap? Is Dylan Spidey?
All we know is that Bobby Roberts is a triple agent secretly working for MI6. He plans to take EviLore down and claim the internet for the martians from Mars Attacks!

Seriously though, we really don't know.

Voror

If he is really going to be appearing in Civil War they are going to have to make the announcement soon. As in the next month at most, due to production going on for Cap Civil War. It will leak who is playing him.

Now if he isn't appearing in Civil War, then yeah it could be a while before we hear it.

That's a good point, though it could depend on just how big a role Spider-Man would have in the film.

Could be that they really haven't done any auditions just yet but are constructing some sort of list of people they want to look at. Actually, how do auditions for this sort of thing work?

I'm really very curious on what exactly they've been doing on the film thus far? Has it just been working out the details of the deal and maybe figuring out what they want the film to be about, or would the latter wait until they have a director/writer/actor settled on? It actually makes me wonder just how far all the other films are currently like Doctor Strange or Black Panther.

I hope you've never asked a boss for a raise.

Workers shouldn't just be happy they have jobs at all and leave it at that, you should know your worth as an employee and advocate for it.

These guys are getting raises per movie and the success they have with Marvel movies allows them to star in other movies where they get paid more than they are worth (look at them box office numbers....).

Your argument is horrible. If it were up to me Iron man would be recast let me tell you. Anybody who thinks in this day and age that an actor is worth 70 million dollars is just stupid. That's all there is to it.

BLACKLAC

These guys are getting raises per movie and the success they have with Marvel movies allows them to star in other movies where they get paid more than they are worth (look at them box office numbers....).

Your argument is horrible.

Yup, Renner used that Marvel juice to work a monster deal for American Hustle.

Scarlett Johansson is now the only action female star in Hollywood, thanks in large part to that Marvel cred.

Hey, I was clear. My question was to get him to look again. :p

And I feel the same way at this point.
Yeah, I know you understood. Was just trying to recap the exchanges haha!

I noted my mistake when I read your comment.
Though to be fair, Spider-Gwen is too new of a concept.

Anyway, I do agree that Dylan would be great, but as Bobby said, Marvel may want to keep Peter in high school throughout the trilogy. Are there any actors who are 19-20 that have a decent record?

Only bring up SpiderGwen because she's making a big splash in the comic scene and Stone's Gwen completely overshadowed Garfield's Peter in the most recent movies, making her an actual key Spidey character with a fan following for movie goers.
Personally hope they don't do that. I can take Senior Year Dylan Parker for Cap 3/ solo movie one. But a Non-Dylan Parker in hs for 3 Spidey movies? Wut? The MCU timeline makes me think that just can't happen.

So many things happen in the 2 years it would take for each SM movie to come out that it would be asking a bit much to say that after 6-9 years SM still hasn't finished HS which is a 4 year thing ... meaning that the events within the MCU over that decade had taken place within 4 years. Seems like the MCU time goes hand-in-hand with RW time. Tony became IM in their world in 2009/8 and AoU will take place in their 2015.

Patriots7

I don't particularly care, but he's annoying on the Teen Wolf episodes I've seen. Maybe because he's supposed to be the dopey sidekick, but not exactly my first thought of Peter Parker.

Garfield was far and away the best Spidey, and easily one of the better parts of the TASM franchise. Too bad he fell out of favor with Sony/Marvel (and the age).

Yeah I doubt that the MCU Spidey trilogy will all take place in high school. First movie, for sure. Second one, maybe. But a 3rd?

I don't believe that would even work, because the time gaps in the MCU for the most part reflect the time gaps in reality. Like the same number of years / time pass between films as we have in reality.

Boem

I already posted about this in the Agents of Shield thread, but Spiderman just made his first
sort of
MCU appearance... in Double Agent, the AoS spinoff webseries.
Don't get too excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDlwhtkGi80

Okay, so it's a heavily 4th wall breaking promotional thing. Still, using Spidey's image like that in a promotion for one of the MCU projects wouldn't have happened before the deal, and it's notable that he's besides the other Avengers.
Considering the premise of Double Agent is based on uncovering clues for future Agents of Shield episodes, that image with Spidey next to the other Avengers could hint at a cameo in Age of Ultron. Emphasis on could. Or, more likely, it's just an intern working on this thing who thought it'd be a cool poster to hang there.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I already posted about this in the Agents of Shield thread, but Spiderman just made his first
sort of
MCU appearance... in Double Agent, the AoS spinoff webseries.
Don't get too excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDlwhtkGi80

Okay, so it's a heavily 4th wall breaking promotional thing. Still, using Spidey's image like that in a promotion for one of the MCU projects wouldn't have happened before the deal, and it's notable that he's besides the other Avengers.
Considering the premise of Double Agent is based on uncovering clues for future Agents of Shield episodes, that image with Spidey next to the other Avengers could hint at a cameo in Age of Ultron. Emphasis on could. Or, more likely, it's just an intern working on this thing who thought it'd be a cool poster to hang there.
Can someone describe what happens? The video wasn't made available for my country.

Boem

Can someone describe what happens? The video wasn't made available for my country.

It takes place behind the scenes of Agents of Shield, so it's not exactly canon (Jed Whedon is in it as one of the writers for example), but it's not interviews or anything like that. It's all acted, and there's a (very cheesy) story going on. Basically, some mysterious bad guy in an evil lair (some people speculate that it's Stan Lee) sends a guy to infiltrate the AoS studios to gather clues for future episodes. After he enters the building and has to listen to a security guard's story on the importance of lanyards he's staring at a poster with Spidey and the other Avengers. That's really all I meant with the cameo, just a little easter egg.

After that he sneaks around on the set, gets beaten up by May, and finds some documents hinting at future stuff in Coulson's office.

Mumei

Yeah I doubt that the MCU Spidey trilogy will all take place in high school. First movie, for sure. Second one, maybe. But a 3rd?

I don't believe that would even work, because the time gaps in the MCU for the most part reflect the time gaps in reality. Like the same number of years / time pass between films as we have in reality.

Even if it were, he's young enough (and young enough looking) to do it. He's 23 now; he'd be 24 / 25 for any filming they do of the first film, and presumably 26/27 and 28/29 for the subsequent (solo) films. Just go back and look at how Garfield or Maguire looked when filming their respective films.

Even if it were, he's young enough (and young enough looking) to do it. He's 23 now; he'd be 24 / 25 for any filming they do of the first film, and presumably 26/27 and 28/29 for the subsequent (solo) films. Just go back and look at how Garfield or Maguire looked when filming their respective films.

And those two were older than him when they were casted too

About Marvel money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7hoVO3ckoA#t=1m57s

(should be timestamped 1:57)

I dont' think he got paid very much for those movies, though.

They paid RDJ five mil for Iron Man. Everyone else got less than that. Way less. They only JUST came up to his level from 2008 last year, and he had to basically stop the damn movie and hold out just to get THAT for his cast.

What that (shitty) video shows is that small-budgeted independent films don't pay well, the hosts think gay jokes are still funny, and they get their film news from Howard Stern. Not that Marvel is rolling out the red carpet for their actors.

Again, there's a whole article I posted above that explains how & why Marvel got their reputation for being thrifty.

BLACKLAC

...I dont' think he got paid very much for those movies, though.

They paid RDJ five mil for Iron Man. Everyone else got less than that. Way less. They only JUST came up to his level from 2008 last year, and he had to basically stop the damn movie and hold out just to get THAT.

What that clips shows is that small-budgeted independent films don't pay well. Not that Marvel is rolling out the red carpet for their actors.

Again, there's a whole article I posted above that explains how & why Marvel got their reputation for being thrifty.

Cooper got back-end compensation of 9% for American Hustle on top of his pay. They aren't throwing out RDJ money at every signing (which would be dumb) but I don't believe Marvel is all that cheap now like they were in the past.

People forget Marvel was basically an indie studio during the Iron Man 1 days.

People forget Marvel was basically an indie studio.

No they don't. Not with as many reminders as pop up the instant anyone dares stray from the miracle Marvel narrative of comics-positve blockbuster building.

Hell, saying they're thrifty isn't even really an insult. They're shrewd as fuck. I don't know why "they don't let go of those pennies very easily" is automatically considered a negative, ESPECIALLY considering the track record they've built.

They spend wisely, from a pure $$ standpoint. Downey's the only one really seeing anything close to the REAL "Marvel Money."

Neoxon

This kinda got overlooked, but Jeff Sneider mentioned Malcolm David Kelley as Spidey a few days ago.

Kelley.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is just speculation on Jeff's part, but some of the guys at Twitter are taking it as a hint. I guess he isn't letting go of that 95%.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, the dream is dead. I still think it's possible they'll surprise me with some great unknown, but I'm not expecting anything anymore.

Blader

Your argument is horrible. If it were up to me Iron man would be recast let me tell you. Anybody who thinks in this day and age that an actor is worth 70 million dollars is just stupid. That's all there is to it.

I think you've lost track of what you were actually saying, so let me jog your memory:

I love how these actors sign these contracts because they ain't worth a dime, and then when the movies make bank suddenly they feel like they are worth more.

Didn't you sign the contract? And why did you sign for a low fee? That's right because you ain't worth shit.

This is ridiculous. Because actors signed a low fee on their first movie, they're automatically obligated to stick to that low rate for the rest of their run? Even when the movies they help make successful are grossing huge sums of money? Of course when the movies starting making more, they feel like they are worth more. This is true for every employee, of any industry, that has an ounce of self-respect -- if your work makes you a more valuable asset, you deserve to reap the benefits of that added value.

Do I think any one person, let alone an actor, is worth $50+ million? Definitely not. But the idea that any worker, actor or otherwise, should just be happy with having a job at all regardless of low pay is some self-defeating bullshit.

MoeDabs

So you think the suits at Marvel/Disney deserve it? Rather than the talent?

Ashhong

Saw the maze runner today. Dylan is a fine actor but I don't like him as spidey anymore. Well, it really depends on what type of Spidey they want, but i don't think he fits a jokester role as well as Logan would.

Loke13

Saw the maze runner today. Dylan is a fine actor but I don't like him as spidey anymore. Well, it really depends on what type of Spidey they want, but i don't think he fits a jokester role as well as Logan would.
And you're basing this on the role in a movie where he basically plays a 100% serious angsty teenager?

Pachimari

You should watch Teen Wolf... Not Maze Runner, if you want to see how he could do as Peter Parker. Wow did you miss the mark on that one.

VeeP

Maze Runner is a pretty serious movie. That's like seeing Perks of Being A Wallflower and saying Logan doesn't fit the jokester role well.

Ashhong

And you're basing this on the role in a movie where he basically plays a 100% serious angsty teenager?

You should watch Teen Wolf... Not Maze Runner, if you want to see how he could do as Peter Parker. Wow did you miss the mark on that one.

I also watched the teen wolf YouTube clip that was posted here. That made me like him for the role, but maze runner made me reconsider. I'm not so dense that I can't look past the specific role and see what else an actor is capable of. He can make jokes sure, but imo he doesn't fit the look as well as Logan would.

Defect

How do auditions for this even work, especially if they want an unknown kid?

I've always been curious about these things.

MoeDabs

I also watched the teen wolf YouTube clip that was posted here. That made me like him for the role, but maze runner made me reconsider. I'm not so dense that I can't look past the specific role and see what else an actor is capable of. He can make jokes sure, but imo he doesn't fit the look as well as Logan would.

Fan casting based on looks is almost always terrible...

Mumei

I'm not following, though. Why would The Maze Runner make you reconsider his ability to play a jokester role, when that role isn't a jokester role?

Slayven

Just based off of Bates Motel, which I've seen maybe a half season of (I'd double-check, but I can't look at Netflix at work), I could see him as Parker but I'm agnostic on his ability to play Spider-Man.

I thought you were a professional housesitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom